TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ebay Is Getting Exspensive..........

Ebay is getting Exspensive.......... is there another place to sell that is cheaper? I sold a Part on Ebay for $510.00 and it cost me $64.00 to do so. $51.00 for Ebay Sold Fee and $13.00 for PayPal Pay Fee. I am now having to ad these Fee's to the Price when I list an item.

Craigslist gets you local exposure, but some specialty things need a little wider exposure. Ebay gets you that. And they know that.

Yeah, that's true. I don't mind taking a hit but, the hits seem to be getting bigger lately................ I had a few Signed items on Craig's List and not one call. I guess I will just have to price the items to where the hit don't hurt as much.

Fixed it for Secondo..................... :finger:

:hysterical2:

:hide:

You would be surprised how far reaching Craigslist is. My 05 GT sold on craigslist to a buyer in New Zealand. They search the local ads for cars they want, as well as parts, etc. and have a local connection look at them, purchase, and ship containers.......

Mike

Actually Mike.....funny you mention that. I have sold two cars on SanDiego's Craigslist that I purposely listed there (when I lived in Phx).

An old Datsun 280 with 1900 (one thousand nine hundred) original miles and a 1989 Corvette coupe with a few thousand on it.

I totally forgot about that till you posted.

And BTW , 07gt500conv........................................ :chairshot:

Actually Mike.....funny you mention that. I have sold two cars on SanDiego's Craigslist that I purposely listed there (when I lived in Phx).

An old Datsun 280 with 1900 (one thousand nine hundred) original miles and a 1989 Corvette coupe with a few thousand on it.

I totally forgot about that till you posted.

And BTW , 07gt500conv........................................ :chairshot:

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::woot:

I stopped selling on ebay when they bought out paypal and added in the shipping value fee making it so not only did you pay ebay 3 times per auction but now you had to overprice shipping in order to break even. First you pay for the auction and any added features like BIN reserve and photos, then when the item sells you pay a final value fee then when they pay via paypal which is owned by ebay you get another fee. Basically on a 1000 dollar item you need to charge about 1200 in order to not lose money. Then when Ebay started charging i believe 10% fee on what you charge a seller for shipping, so if I sold something that cost 50 to ship I had to actually charge 56 in order to not lose money just on shipping.

I havent found anything ive just been using forums and craigslist. I am also not selling as a buisness just personal stuff that really doesnt need to get sold. Not saying ebay isnt great for selling, just the greedy b@$t@rd$ that run it that have done nothing but increase fees about 5000% since I became a member about 14 years ago make it no longer a venue I wish to use to sell.

I havent found anything ive just been using forums and craigslist. I am also not selling as a buisness just personal stuff that really doesnt need to get sold. Not saying ebay isnt great for selling, just the greedy b@$t@rd$ that run it that have done nothing but increase fees about 5000% since I became a member about 14 years ago make it no longer a venue I wish to use to sell.

I am getting to feel the same way about Ebay to.

The only real thing that irritates me about EBay , is the scam that's become the "auction".

It's been so abused by guys having their friends bid up (falsely) that I NEVER use the auction sale. I discourage it to friends that ask as well.

The single biggest reason I use EBay at all, is because you quite simply CANNOT get the same amount of attention anywhere else. It has become like the "Coke" brand for selling stuff and they know it......hence the increase in fees. :shrug:

I agree too that EBay fees are crazy...on average, my fees are over $1K per month, but you do get the best exposure, worldwide. I have also found too, for me, it is best to do Buy It Now auctions. I got really tired of listing items or vehicles that would get bid up, then the winner would not respond to emails, invoices, etc. With Buy It Now auctions, the serious will contact you if they want to make an offer, less than your asking price. Also too, you can make sure buyers have to pay immediately for parts, or make a deposit for a vehicle before it lets them complete the sale. Ebay doe charge fees on the selling price, the shipping cost, and Paypal fees. Figure a rule of thumb for something you sell for $500, that they will take 13%. I also do not put my phone # in my ebay ads as I get people that have no intention of buying anything, that just want to pick my brain. If someone seems serious when emailing a question, then I send my #.

Craigslist I use for large items I don't want to ship, but 70% of the texts and calls I get are complete losers that are a waste of time. Many are scams, and many don't speak english. It is VERY frustrating. Even if I put in an ad for wheels, tires and caps that I WILL NOT separate, I kid you not I will get 5 texts from people that want to but the caps!! When I am parting out a car, as items sell, I update the ad stating all available EXCEPT.....then I will get 10 texts for pople wanting to buy what I already said was sold. It is hard to not get rude when 5 pople a day ask for what you already clearly stated was sold.

Dupont Registry is very good for higher end cars over $50K, but still not as much exposure as ebay.

Hopefully my extensive trial and error with selling stuff for 20 years helps someone here....

Alex

eBay as a whole has just become too commercialized. Most things on there are sold by companies now days. I remember in the old days (2003) when I first discovered the bay it was a blast and I could find just about anything, and at a good price. When I restored my 65 GT Fastback in 2004 many of the OEM and NOS parts I purchased for it were from eBay.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how they arrive at it, but this sale cost me $54 in total. S'all good however, because I adjusted the price Up to compensate for it.

It all works out. :thumbsup:

Yeah that shipping calculation they (EBay) does David, is beyond me.

He totally understood the program. Saw my notation in big bold red print and paid the correct amount of freight to his addy in TN.

:thumbsup:

EDIT- this is when it pays to deal with other 100% rated Ebayers! :rockon:

Archived