TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Thinking About A Daily Driver V-6 Mustang .....>

Bill Hamilton

Been kind of kicking around the idea of getting a V-6 convertible Mustang (2011 and up) as a daily driver / knock around / save miles on the Shelby / better mpg / and so on. Wouldn't necessarily need to be a 'vert but might make it an easier idea to sell to the wife (LOL). She just got rid of her import retractable hard top and would rather drive her full-sized SUV for now, but she did enjoy her convertible on nice days.

I've driven the 2011 and up V-6's and was very impressed with the power and the 30+ highway mpg sounds very nice as opposed to the 2005 to 2010's lower power and mpg. I'm starting to see them out there for $10K to 15K and even used '14s under $20K. Anybody know of certain problems to look out for or any mechanical issues with the 3.7 motors? Do they hold up pretty well? Lot's higher mileage cars out there at lower prices.

Looking for experiences and opinions concerning the newer V-6 Mustang --- no Focus' or other brands, just another horse for my corral. Thanks. :cool:

I'm at 25K miles now in a year and 1/2 on my 2013 Roush RS V6 6 speed daily driver. Not a problem at all yet. It's faster in the 1/4 mile than my 2006 GT-H was stock. I average 25.5-26 mpg in mix city, highway usage. It's freaking amazing in the snow here in Colorado (with Pirelli Winter Carving Edge on all 4) I'm sure the Roush suspension makes a difference, but with my BFG race tires on GT500 wheels, it destroys most street cars on the road course (including some of my buddies in their GT500's). All around been a really good car which has not given me an oz. of problems. I was absolutely shocked when I drove it out to a Grand-Am race last year at Kansas City. Thought it would be fun to put it up on the scales. 52% rear weight bias. I'm sure that's what makes it work so well on the road course and in the snow! Here's a shot of it on the scales, right when Jack Roush Jr's race car came up to come on the scales.

Kansas20136_zpsca74301e.jpg

In the snow:

2014winter_zps29697783.jpg

I'm at 25K miles now in a year and 1/2 on my 2013 Roush RS V6 6 speed daily driver. Not a problem at all yet. It's faster in the 1/4 mile than my 2006 GT-H was stock. I average 25.5-26 mpg in mix city, highway usage. It's freaking amazing in the snow here in Colorado (with Pirelli Winter Carving Edge on all 4) I'm sure the Roush suspension makes a difference, but with my BFG race tires on GT500 wheels, it destroys most street cars on the road course (including some of my buddies in their GT500's). All around been a really good car which has not given me an oz. of problems. I was absolutely shocked when I drove it out to a Grand-Am race last year at Kansas City. Thought it would be fun to put it up on the scales. 52% rear weight bias. I'm sure that's what makes it work so well on the road course and in the snow! Here's a shot of it on the scales, right when Jack Roush Jr's race car came up to come on the scales.

Kansas20136_zpsca74301e.jpg

In the snow:

2014winter_zps29697783.jpg

JeffJ, Wish I would have known you were in KC last year. Would have liked to have met you and watched some racing.

Bill, There might be a 2013 GTS available in the coming months. It is a coupe though. Let me know if interested and I'll get you connected.

Bill,

ON Facebook, I am part of a 3.7 group and to hear them talk, the V6 is better than our v8's. Some of these guys have some great cars and FAST.....for a V6 :whistling:

I highly recommend the V6. If you do Facebook, check this out....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3.7LFLChapter/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CycloneMustangs/

I'm thinking of a ecoboost convertible as a daily driver. Now that we're in the city with lights that arranged to insure you hit every one red, the truck is only getting 9mpg... Of course I don't have to go very far very often so we fill the 30 gallon tank once a month whether it needs it or not.

I'm thinking of a ecoboost convertible as a daily driver. Now that we're in the city with lights that arranged to insure you hit every one red, the truck is only getting 9mpg... Of course I don't have to go very far very often so we fill the 30 gallon tank once a month whether it needs it or not.

Tony, what kind of truck do you have?

I have a '14 RAM with oversized rubber on it (4x4) and I'm now getting 12 mpg's. It was between 15-16 before with the stock pizza cutters on it. Thank God for $2.00 regular now!!! :hysterical:

Tony, what kind of truck do you have?

2004 Ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 with the 5.7 hemi. It's an amazing tow vehicle. I towed my bobcat with it (I think with trailer it was about 12000#). I did it 3 times before I sold the machine but it had the power to tow and the brakes to stop. We towed a u-haul over the I70 corridor 4 times and I was at the speed limit all the way. Mileage not so good though. In stop and go city about the same as a loaded trailer in the mountains at 9-10. Empty on the road 15-16.

It also has the turning radius of an aircraft carrier. The 4wd steering box makes it really hard to park.

Huh....I thought you'd own a Super Duty being a big Ford guy.

I've had several of them and really like em, but this HEMI RAM was the nicest truck of the lot when I looked around last year for a replacement. The fuel mileage is the biggest downfall of the truck.

Huh....I thought you'd own a Super Duty being a big Ford guy.

I've had several of them and really like em, but this HEMI RAM was the nicest truck of the lot when I looked around last year for a replacement. The fuel mileage is the biggest downfall of the truck.

I was looking at the new F150 but now I'd rather have something smaller like the old Ranger sized. I do want to be able to haul a tree or something but don't need the full sized. I'll keep the one I have since it's paid for. I can buy alot of gas for the price of a new truck.

• 1 month later...

Well I found a V-6 to use as a daily driver. I wanted a V-6 convertible, auto, and heated seats. The wife wanted red with black top and interior. So we looked all over the southeast and finally found a 2014 Premium Package V-6 convertible with the Comfort Package. It's also equipped with the back-up camera system too. Amazing how quiet and tight it feels for a convertible. Cruising down the road feels much like my Shelby. I notice myself reaching for the clutch and gear shift when I slow down or come to a stop. It's really handles great and I forget I'm in a V-6 or at least until I hammer the throttle (LOL). While it is impressive, it's less than half the horsepower of the Shelby. The increased gas mileage is nice too. :cool:

Car pictures here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10203890088118829.1073741926.1419944110&type=1&l=41b432a5b1

2014 Ford Mustang-at Dealership.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well I found a V-6 to use as a daily driver. I wanted a V-6 convertible, auto, and heated seats. The wife wanted red with black top and interior. So we looked all over the southeast and finally found a 2014 Premium Package V-6 convertible with the Comfort Package. It's also equipped with the back-up camera system too. Amazing how quiet and tight it feels for a convertible. Cruising down the road feels much like my Shelby. I notice myself reaching for the clutch and gear shift when I slow down or come to a stop. It's really handles great and I forget I'm in a V-6 or at least until I hammer the throttle (LOL). While it is impressive, it's less than half the horsepower of the Shelby. The increased gas mileage is nice too. :cool:

Car pictures here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10203890088118829.1073741926.1419944110&type=1&l=41b432a5b1

. Very nice. Can't lose with Red/black combo

My 2012 now has 67500 Miles and ZERO problems. I get 24 to 26 MPG around Towne and 32 to 38 MPG on the Interstate doing 75-80MPH.

Nice, you must have a few add on's for that kind of mpg. Had mine a little over a month now and getting 21/22 mpg around town and 27+ at 77 mph using cruise control on the highway. I just added a SCT Tuner this week and started out with the 91 octane tune. It feels a little more peppy off the line and smoother accelerating. Going to run it a month and check the mileage and then move up to the 93 octane. Part of the package was a CAI but I hear the stock setup is pretty good. Going to run the stock system for a while also before trying the CAI. Overall I'm happy with the car and while keeping the miles down on the Shelby, it's been getting about 5 mpg better in town and on the highway.

WDH_9641 (800x389).jpg

Nice, you must have a few add on's for that kind of mpg. Had mine a little over a month now and getting 21/22 mpg around town and 27+ at 77 mph using cruise control on the highway. I just added a SCT Tuner this week and started out with the 91 octane tune. It feels a little more peppy off the line and smoother accelerating. Going to run it a month and check the mileage and then move up to the 93 octane. Part of the package was a CAI but I hear the stock setup is pretty good. Going to run the stock system for a while also before trying the CAI. Overall I'm happy with the car and while keeping the miles down on the Shelby, it's ben getting about 5 mpg better in town and on the highway.

It could just be your lead foot, Bill !

Nice, you must have a few add on's for that kind of mpg. Had mine a little over a month now and getting 21/22 mpg around town and 27+ at 77 mph using cruise control on the highway. I just added a SCT Tuner this week and started out with the 91 octane tune. It feels a little more peppy off the line and smoother accelerating. Going to run it a month and check the mileage and then move up to the 93 octane. Part of the package was a CAI but I hear the stock setup is pretty good. Going to run the stock system for a while also before trying the CAI. Overall I'm happy with the car and while keeping the miles down on the Shelby, it's been getting about 5 mpg better in town and on the highway.

No Add On's and I use the 87 Octane Gas.

Archived