TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Any Rollercoaster Fans In Here?

• 2 weeks later...

Good topic ViperNC. Roller coasters are amazing. So much fun, so much adrenaline and a little bit of fear mixed in. What can beat that combination? Maybe driving your Shelby.

I think everyone should go out and ride the biggest, baddest coaster they can find. In my opinion, here's why.

It was 28 years ago when I worked at an indoor amusement park in Edmonton, Alberta and there was a great roller coaster there called the Mindbender. It's a triple loop coaster and it's allot of fun (the coaster still exists). I was 18 at the time, I was an employee at the park and was supposed to start working an evening shift around 6:00pm. I happened to be there early that night with two friends of mine and two of us decided to ride the Mindbender (only two of us rode as my other friend was to freaked out by this ride to get on it).

We got in line and it looked like we were going to be seated half way back in the next set of cars that were ready to go. My first instinct was that we should wait for the following cars and get the premium front seats and really enjoy the experience (you can't beat the front seats on a coaster). For some reason I decided "to heck with it" let's just ride these next cars. Me and my friend jumped on and had a great time. It must have been the 50th time I had rode the Mindbender.

When our ride came to an end we jumped off and as we walked off, I turned to my left to watch the following cars (which my friend and I didn't get on) start to accelerate into a steep drop heading into one of the loops when the unthinkable happened. The final car of the 4 car ride broke loose of it's wheels and started bashing into the poles which were the main supports for the ride. I froze and watched in horror as 4 people were thrown from the back car of the ride, I simply couldn't comprehend what was going on. One guy that died that night flew right by me and my friend, within 15 damn feet of us after he was thrown free. That night, 3 of the 4 that were thrown out of the coaster died and 1 was crippled for life. After the crash all the employees were rounded up and we sat for hours with counselors trying to deal with what happened. I didn't go home until 3:00 a.m. that evening. I still think of that night regularly.

It took me about a year to get back on the Mindbender but I got back on.

I'm 46 now, I still ride roller coasters and although they beat me up physically, they really scare the shit out of me mentally. Somehow, when I ride a really crazy coaster (like the Hulk roller coaster in Florida) with my 13 year old daughter it makes me keenly aware of how great life is especially when I'm with my kid. I could have been on the ride that crashed (even though I was going to wait for the front car) but for what ever reason I wasn't. Instead I was a witness to some nasty things that night.

My daughter loves roller coasters and I love riding them with her. Every time we get on a big coaster we're both scared but every time we get off we both feel like hero's and we both have huge smiles. Life scares the shit out of me regularly but for some reason when I ride a roller coaster with my daughter, I feel like a good dad and in some strange way, the ride has enhanced the bond I have with my little girl. Adrenaline, fear, excitement, what beats that. I know this may sound a little "crazy" but that's how I live.

I can't wait to get down to Florida to scare myself silly with my daughter on these new rides. Seize the day.

QSS

Good topic ViperNC. Roller coasters are amazing. So much fun, so much adrenaline and a little bit of fear mixed in. What can beat that combination? Maybe driving your Shelby.

I think everyone should go out and ride the biggest, baddest coaster they can find. In my opinion, here's why.

It was 28 years ago when I worked at an indoor amusement park in Edmonton, Alberta and there was a great roller coaster there called the Mindbender. It's a triple loop coaster and it's allot of fun (the coaster still exists). I was 18 at the time, I was an employee at the park and was supposed to start working an evening shift around 6:00pm. I happened to be there early that night with two friends of mine and two of us decided to ride the Mindbender (only two of us rode as my other friend was to freaked out by this ride to get on it).

We got in line and it looked like we were going to be seated half way back in the next set of cars that were ready to go. My first instinct was that we should wait for the following cars and get the premium front seats and really enjoy the experience (you can't beat the front seats on a coaster). For some reason I decided "to heck with it" let's just ride these next cars. Me and my friend jumped on and had a great time. It must have been the 50th time I had rode the Mindbender.

When our ride came to an end we jumped off and as we walked off, I turned to my left to watch the following cars (which my friend and I didn't get on) start to accelerate into a steep drop heading into one of the loops when the unthinkable happened. The final car of the 4 car ride broke loose of it's wheels and started bashing into the poles which were the main supports for the ride. I froze and watched in horror as 4 people were thrown from the back car of the ride, I simply couldn't comprehend what was going on. One guy that died that night flew right by me and my friend, within 15 damn feet of us after he was thrown free. That night, 3 of the 4 that were thrown out of the coaster died and 1 was crippled for life. After the crash all the employees were rounded up and we sat for hours with counselors trying to deal with what happened. I didn't go home until 3:00 a.m. that evening. I still think of that night regularly.

It took me about a year to get back on the Mindbender but I got back on.

I'm 46 now, I still ride roller coasters and although they beat me up physically, they really scare the shit out of me mentally. Somehow, when I ride a really crazy coaster (like the Hulk roller coaster in Florida) with my 13 year old daughter it makes me keenly aware of how great life is especially when I'm with my kid. I could have been on the ride that crashed (even though I was going to wait for the front car) but for what ever reason I wasn't. Instead I was a witness to some nasty things that night.

My daughter loves roller coasters and I love riding them with her. Every time we get on a big coaster we're both scared but every time we get off we both feel like hero's and we both have huge smiles. Life scares the shit out of me regularly but for some reason when I ride a roller coaster with my daughter, I feel like a good dad and in some strange way, the ride has enhanced the bond I have with my little girl. Adrenaline, fear, excitement, what beats that. I know this may sound a little "crazy" but that's how I live.

I can't wait to get down to Florida to scare myself silly with my daughter on these new rides. Seize the day.

QSS

Wow. That is scary stuff for sure. Devine intervention?

I'm 43 and rolling doubles in a few weeks to hit age 44. I grew up here in CLT riding all of the roller coasters out at Carowinds and some of which are still in use today. My daughters are getting old enough to ride some of the smaller ones and they love it. It is really cool to share those experiences and relive riding a roller coaster for the first time through their eyes. They look at the big coasters now and look forward to the day when we can ride together as a family (my wife enjoys them, too). Safety has come a long way these days so I have to trust the engineers know what they are doing when they design, build, and maintain these rides.

Fury is in the process of being built right now and you can probably find a video on You Tube. They have not yet connected the track at the top of the first hill, but it already has surpassed the height of the Intimidator which has a 300 foot drop. You can see them working on Fury for miles away. It's going to be intense and I can't wait!

That's is really scary stuff QSS. Good for you getting back up on that horse :thumbsup: Working with metals all my life I know how it fatigues under stress. These coasters, even prefect engineered ones, will have issues. Hopefully good maintenance keeps them from hurting anyone.

That's is really scary stuff QSS. Good for you getting back up on that horse :thumbsup:

Thank you MY500SS. I was happy I got back on coasters after that night, they really are so damn much fun.

That night changed me in a few strange ways. I became more appreciative of life BUT for some odd reason I became far less fearful of what life throws at me including the possibility of death.

We all walk strange paths, you never now what's up around the bend.

QSS

As Dan-o works with metal, being a civil engineer let me relate an experience:

Being in Orlando, went to the Citrus Bowl for a game or Monster Truck Rally (dont remember which one...old age thing :whistling: ) the crowd starts to stomp in the stadium. You can feel the stadium vibrating.... I started to freak out and my cousin says..."oh, they design for that"...my response....I dont think so...

I have become fearful of those type of things....

Archived