TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2016 Ford Mustang Shelby Gt350 - Official

tomas6791

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The car was mine and the GT500 was a friend's so I can vouch for it. The GT500 also has FRPP suspension added on to it. The heat soak is the issue with the GT500 and the weight. The video was from several years ago and I have since heavily modded the car, but back then it was close to stock and an even comparison.

Yeah, but how about driver ability?

Because I can just about guarantee you that if I were in *your* car and you were in the *other* car, you'd put the same whuppin' on me as you did on that other guy.

Why? Because I can't drive through a corner to save my ass (I'm TOO aggressive). And I know it.

Phill

Yeah, but how about driver ability?

Because I can just about guarantee you that if I were in *your* car and you were in the *other* car, you'd put the same whuppin' on me as you did on that other guy.

Why? Because I can't drive through a corner to save my ass (I'm TOO aggressive). And I know it.

Phill

I was waiting for someone to point out the obvious..... driver ability is 90% of going fast.

I think it's a beautiful car and absolutely worthy of the Shelby name -- affordable performance with attention to drive-ability is what Shelby has always been about and if the new GT350 has half of what Ford's promising in performance it's going to be amazing. Can't wait till they start giving us actual stats (and pricing).

What I really want to know is has Gary P driven one on a track yet and what does he think about its performance and handling (and what SAI can do to make it even better)?

This is just another one of those arguments. Those of us who are fortunate enough to own a model which was modified at a Shelby facility, pre-title, like the original Shelby's were will of course never concur with you. We all, however, do own Shelbys and that's our common bond.

Bob - you hit the nail on the head. Well said.

Jim

I think it's a beautiful car and absolutely worthy of the Shelby name -- affordable performance with attention to drive-ability is what Shelby has always been about and if the new GT350 has half of what Ford's promising in performance it's going to be amazing. Can't wait till they start giving us actual stats (and pricing).

What I really want to know is has Gary P driven one on a track yet and what does he think about its performance and handling (and what SAI can do to make it even better)?

Nicely stated.

My blown 4.6 SGT runs 12.4's all night on street tires at an elevation of 4800 feet, 50k on the odometer (stock bottom end).

Now on to the new GT350 which I personally think is bad ass and gorgeous! I'd love to see a price but am afraid it will be in the same zip as the Z28.

I would not pay $75k for a Z or $75k for a GT 350 . Somewhere I read $55k for a base 350. I would bite @ that price.

No way, no how would I turn in my 08-GT500 for the 2016 GT350. It has nothing to do with what can blow past the other on street or track, or any numbers.

I did just the mods I wanted, and it's now "mine" and I love that freaking car!

Not to throw oil on any fire. But but buying the first model year of anything comes with risks. Remember those TSBs for the '07 & (early) '08 GT500's?

I wait for the first service pack before putting any brand-new OS on my PCs too. I'm just conservitive that way. Less to deal-with and fix.

I'll be watching the 2016 mustangs and GT350s, but to actually buy, na....give me 2017 or 2018 after Ford shakes all the bugs out.

You are right cause the new corvette with all the outside venders selling the newest parts has caused some problems. There is so much electronics and exotic hardware in cars today that the technicians are playing catch up all the time. The new GT 350 has it's share also. To compete with cars like the Corvette you buy from the same vendors and install the most up to date state of the art go fast components. Then when they fail the poor technician has to go back and learn the new methods of repair and install all over again. It's a gamble you take in some 1st year all new models . Not all but some.

i tend to agree, which is why i bought a 2006 Mustang GT instead of a 2005, but not so with the GT500. i haven't had any problems with my first year Shelby other than the door insert material beginning to separate after 7 years and some odd bubbling on the gauge trim around my tachometer. of course, i have an aftermarket clutch and the 2008+ damper so those were known problem areas.

The 2014 Corvette has had many issues from the electronic rear end , info radio, axle shafts. Torque tube , direct injection , oil leaks on the upper engine and some deactivation cylinder issues and the list goes on . Some of these issues were corrected on a on going basics . But you see my point about a lot of new technology teething problems.

If you go to the Corvette forum you read things like don't buy a 2014 with all it's problems and instead buy a 2015 with $6k discounts . Those are facts and will affect all 2014 prices. First year gremlins sure hit the 2014 Corvette market.

That ATS - V coupe is one good looking car and it's only 3500 lbs I hear. Boy 2015 is going to be one hell of a year for us car crazy nuts . Can't wait to see it all in person and get behind the wheel .

That ATS - V coupe is one good looking car and it's only 3500 lbs I hear. Boy 2015 is going to be one hell of a year for us car crazy nuts . Can't wait to see it all in person and get behind the wheel .

Yeah, I'm just waiting for the Government to step in and crush it all.

Personally, I love the looks of the 2007-2008 Shelby GT. I believe it bears the closest resemblance to the original Shelby GT350 in terms of how it came to be. However, it's not enough to bolt on a cold-air kit, suspension upgrades, stripes/badges and call it a day. As much as I like the looks of those cars, looks alone are not enough to pay homage to the original GT350. On the street, the 07-08 SGTs are way too underpowered and under-engineered. If a previous-generation Firebird or a muscled-up Subaru STI can outrun it (which they can), it's not a car I can take seriously. They're more "show than go". This new GT350, on the other hand, is ALL business. You can thank Ford and SVT for that.

I love my little ol' 4.6. Lets see how that old firebird dives into those orange autocross cones. And how about those F stock production SCCA nation titles for the SGT. More show than go ? Come on, come on, come on. 07' and 08' SGT are exactly what "The Man" wanted.

The SVT GT 350 is awesome too. But I did have to stick up for my baby

Good points..

I love my little ol' 4.6. Lets see how that old firebird dives into those orange autocross cones. And how about those F stock production SCCA nation titles for the SGT. More show than go ? Come on, come on, come on. 07' and 08' SGT are exactly what "The Man" wanted.

The SVT GT 350 is awesome too. But I did have to stick up for my baby

Good points..

I definitely don't mean to insult you or your car. Again, I like that particular car a lot for what it is. However, as a STREET car, it's too slow for me. The way I have had GTO owners, Challenger owners, M3 owners, 911 owners, Viper owners, Corvette owners, Coyote 5.0 owners and GTR owners roll up on me around town trying to race me, there's no way I'd be content driving one. I had a similarly-modded 2006 Mustang GT that was quicker than the stock Shelby GT (I test drove for comparison when I was considering upgrading). Track cars are great and I hope to get more involved in that, but street driving is stoplight to stoplight or toll road pulls ahead of the other guy and that's what ends up happening to me.

street driving is stoplight to stoplight or toll road pulls ahead of the other guy and that's what ends up happening to me.

You guys don't have clover leaf entrance ramps for highways and interstates? No back country or mountain twisty roads? If all I had to enjoy in my GT500 was stoplight to stoplight I'd shoot myself. There is nothing more fun in my book than pulling g's in a corner. Set up the GT500 correctly and it will hang with the best of them.

You guys don't have clover leaf entrance ramps for highways and interstates? No back country or mountain twisty roads? If all I had to enjoy in my GT500 was stoplight to stoplight I'd shoot myself. There is nothing more fun in my book than pulling g's in a corner. Set up the GT500 correctly and it will hang with the best of them.

Understood. My point is that it's not a track car. It's a street car. It's great to pontificate about reaching 200mph or beating past lap times, but my reality is city driving with occasional country roads and winding roads like you mentioned. I just happen to have a barely used toll road right next to my house so I often find myself north of 120mph when someone else is sharing the road. I rarely initiate, but if someone else does, I rarely hesitate!

"It’ll kind of bolt right in to your 2015 Mustang GT.

Since it’s based on 5.0 architecture, the new engine—which was known as Voodoo in development—should bolt right in to the Mustang GT. You’ll have to swap the exhaust for the one meant for the flat-crank V-8, but otherwise all the necessary holes should line up. There’s no official word on whether a crate Voodoo will make its way to the Ford Racing catalog, although Baldori called it “a great opportunity.” Read what you will into that."

Which should also mean that it should also bolt right into 2011-2014 Mustang GT's. But I would expect the Engine will cost in upwords of $20K or more as a Create Motor.

Some great pictures on this link:

http://gt350mustangs.com/index.php?topic=76.50

those are some great pics... high resolution. i thought i read the fender vents behind the front tires were functional, but in at least a couple of pics they look like a solid piece of black plastic like it's just decorative. i hope not....

I definitely don't mean to insult you or your car. Again, I like that particular car a lot for what it is. However, as a STREET car, it's too slow for me. The way I have had GTO owners, Challenger owners, M3 owners, 911 owners, Viper owners, Corvette owners, Coyote 5.0 owners and GTR owners roll up on me around town trying to race me, there's no way I'd be content driving one. I had a similarly-modded 2006 Mustang GT that was quicker than the stock Shelby GT (I test drove for comparison when I was considering upgrading). Track cars are great and I hope to get more involved in that, but street driving is stoplight to stoplight or toll road pulls ahead of the other guy and that's what ends up happening to me.

The way I have had GTO owners, Challenger owners, M3 owners, 911 owners, Viper owners, Corvette owners, Coyote 5.0 owners and GTR owners roll up on me around town trying to race me, there's no way I'd be content driving one.

Someone is always going to have something faster no matter what you have anyways. Sure no shame shaking off that GTR..

The way I have had GTO owners, Challenger owners, M3 owners, 911 owners, Viper owners, Corvette owners, Coyote 5.0 owners and GTR owners roll up on me around town trying to race me, there's no way I'd be content driving one.

Someone is always going to have something faster no matter what you have anyways. Sure no shame shaking off that GTR..

Wow I'd like to live in your neighborhood and see all those cars driving around. I'm just 25 miles north of Atlanta and maybe see a GTR and Viper once a month if that. If I lived in Buckhead ( inside 285 ) Maybe I would see more while sitting in gridlock traffic.

The way I have had GTO owners, Challenger owners, M3 owners, 911 owners, Viper owners, Corvette owners, Coyote 5.0 owners and GTR owners roll up on me around town trying to race me, there's no way I'd be content

Sounds good

I would not pay $75k for a Z or $75k for a GT 350 . Somewhere I read $55k for a base 350. I would bite @ that price.

I just priced a Camaro ZL1 - w/ all the bells & whistles it came to $62,490. The base GT350 better be no more $$ if Ford wants to sell them, unless it will run circles around the ZL1. The "R" model would then justify higher pricing.

Archived