TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2016 Ford Mustang Shelby Gt350 - Official

tomas6791

Put a whipple 550 on the SGT and it smokes most cars on the street.

i wish that were the case, but define "most cars on the street". when tested, it ran 4.6 to 60 and 13 sec @110. that's fast, by most standards, but lots of cars are as fast or faster -- BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, Corvettes, Caddy CTS-V, Aston Martins, Lotus, SRT Challengers, SS Camaros, on and on.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

look, i'm not trying to disparage the Shelby GT. i think it's one of the better Mustangs in recent years and i love the exclusivity of the Shelby GT/SC. if i had the money, i'd buy one. the main benefit to those cars (in my opinion) is just like what "carnut12" mentions above... they are balanced. it's enough power to have a lot of fun driving it at its limits without it scaring the living shit out of you. problem is i don't like seeing other cars asses in a street race. as juvenile as it is, when a 5.0 rolls up on me, i intend to teach it some manners. same goes for vipers, corvettes, M3s, GTRs, etcetera. at the very least, i intend to give them a serious run for the money... and have!

i wish that were the case, but define "most cars on the street". when tested, it ran 4.6 to 60 and 13 sec @110. that's fast, by most standards, but lots of cars are as fast or faster -- BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, Corvettes, Caddy CTS-V, Aston Martins, Lotus, SRT Challengers, SS Camaros, on and on.

Are you now telling me you think a 4.6 with a whipple on it will run 13's ? Plz be jokin.

If you are talking about this review....

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/tuners/112_0806_2008_shelby_gt_sc/

That is far from a Whipple 550. I don't track mine, but ones I have seen are more in low-mid 12's at about 115-120 trap speed.

Are you now telling me you think a 4.6 with a whipple on it will run 13's ? Plz be jokin.

absolutely. motor trend's test was done with a paxton, but the 3V 4.6L drivetrain can only handle so much stress. and i'm not talking about adding slicks. "stock" from SAI, you're on 8.5 (OEM) or 9" rims (razors) and street tires.

absolutely. motor trend's test was done with a paxton, but the 3V 4.6L drivetrain can only handle so much stress. and i'm not talking about adding slicks. "stock" from SAI, you're on 8.5 (OEM) or 9" rims (razors) and street tires.

@110 is very wrong also. They will run 12's with street tires and trap closer to 120. I'm talking real world results not what motor trend says.

My car handles 495 RWHP no problem, but I agree this is a big difference between the GT500 and Shelby GT. I have seen people go higher with stock internals and they had issues. I kept the Ford Tune and am still on my stock clutch with 15K miles.

@110 is very wrong also. They will run 12's with street tires and trap closer to 120. I'm talking real world results not what motor trend says.

Exactly what I have seen.

All good with me, I like both cars and I agree I come on here as a Shelby forum member, the Shelby GT section doesn't get a lot of action.

My car handles 495 RWHP no problem, but I agree this is a big difference between the GT500 and Shelby GT. I have seen people go higher with stock internals and they had issues. I kept the Ford Tune and am still on my stock clutch with 15K miles.

well, that's a great car. again, i wish i had the extra funds to own several. a white Shelby GT/SC would be at the top of my list. what's the power band like with the whipple? i've heard it's stronger at the top of the rev-range. is that true? my experience with ford tunes is they are very mild under 3,000 RPMs.

OK... Tell me this: Who here has kept their Shelby GT or a GT500 stock? Face it fellas, all this back and forth trying to prove something is purely subjective.

• The video of the Shelby GT passing a GT500 on a circle track: Subjective. The Shelby GT driver got a better run out of the corner and likely a better driver over all. Maybe the GT500 was bone stock. Who knows. The Shelby GT was clearly not stock.
  • The talk about GT500's being faster than Shelby GT's: That depends and is also subjective. You talking straight line only or on a road course after the stock GT500 became heat soaked after 1 flying lap? You get my point?

If you want to get specific, talk about the points of your highly modified Shelby GT vs. a highly modified GT500. And then go race each other to find out who would win. Personally, after all the work I have done to my GT500 I would be happy to take on a 2013 or 2014 stock GT500 on a road course. Good luck keeping up with me. Bet the Shelby GT would compete well, too. Bottom line is it would not even be a fair fight because I have set my car up for exceptional handling, cooling & braking with a little bump in HP. While a more powerful GT500 will get me on the straight... I'll be by him after turn two.

If you want to find out for sure, go race each other and then get back to me and let me know who won. Now back on topic. The 2016 Shelby GT350 is the first Shelby Mustang since the Shelby GT that was designed for the road course and it is going to kick some Z28 butt!

I can run my Boss 302 on street tires and do 113 with no problem, my Shelby SGT with the Whipple will smoke the Boss all day long. I stopped street racing once I started doing road course racing because I realized how stupid it is to race on public roads. Its too easy to lose control and all Hell breaks loose. I get people who tempt me all the time and just look over with a smile and wave.

well, that's a great car. again, i wish i had the extra funds to own several. a white Shelby GT/SC would be at the top of my list. what's the power band like with the whipple? i've heard it's stronger at the top of the rev-range. is that true? my experience with ford tunes is they are very mild under 3,000 RPMs.

Power band is Outstanding, look at my Dyno below. It is stronger at the top, but traction is always the issue so it is easier that way. I scared the crap out of myself once, I was rolling and nailed it in second just for fun, the tires were still cold and it just started spinning and then fish tailing, I let off the gas and controlled the fish tailing as much as I could. I am very lucky, I missed a huge curb by inches and that was in the on coming traffic lane, thankfully no cars were coming. Never again will I be so foolish on public roads.

I can run my Boss 302 on street tires and do 113 with no problem, my Shelby SGT with the Whipple will smoke the Boss all day long. I stopped street racing once I started doing road course racing because I realized how stupid it is to race on public roads. Its too easy to lose control and all Hell breaks loose. I get people who tempt me all the time and just look over with a smile and wave.

well, i don't street race in the "fast and furious" sense. but if i'm on the toll road here and somebody wants to showoff at my expense, i don't mind setting them straight with a short run. i don't want to track my car because i don't want to wear it out. i hope to keep this car well into my old age.

that said, one thing "car guys" seem to always forget and that provides the fuel for countless pissing contests is that EACH car is different. reducing a car to it's performance metrics on paper is missing the point entirely. the total driver's experience is what's important and one reason i'd like to own a '13 boss 302 myself. the sounds, the ratios, the feel... all of it adds up to the experience, which varies from car to car and mustang to mustang. it's one reason i'd like to get an early Shelby clone, regardless of how fast it is or how well it handles (or doesn't). that driving experience can't be duplicated by a current-generation mustang, idiosyncrasies and all.

What Ford is doing by allowing SVT to create a top-of-the line Mustang and naming it a "Shelby" -- WITH CARROLL'S INPUT AND BLESSING -- is very special. No other "special edition" Mustang gets that treatment with Ford. That's what I'm saying. When you buy the SVT car, you get a car that is engineered differently from the ground up. Again, it's not just aftermarket or FRPP-sourced bolt-ons. That is very special whether anyone here wants to acknowledge it or not. If anything, Ford is truly doing the Shelby brand justice by creating a unique car with his name.

Every car (including SVT models) is made with parts sourced from other suppliers or manufacturers, are they not? Using your thought process, one could say that the Shelby label on the new GT350 is aftermarket as well. Ford has to pay Shelby for that.

Power band is Outstanding, look at my Dyno below. It is stronger at the top, but traction is always the issue so it is easier that way. I scared the crap out of myself once, I was rolling and nailed it in second just for fun, the tires were still cold and it just started spinning and then fish tailing, I let off the gas and controlled the fish tailing as much as I could. I am very lucky, I missed a huge curb by inches and that was in the on coming traffic lane, thankfully no cars were coming. Never again will I be so foolish on public roads.

yep! been there done that. that's what prompted me to get the shelby/eibach suspension kit, widen my rear rims to 11" and run 315s out back. that and also NOT to punch the throttle.

Every car (including SVT models) is made with parts sourced from other suppliers or manufacturers, are they not? Using your thought process, one could say that the Shelby label on the new GT350 is aftermarket as well. Ford has to pay Shelby for that.

no, your logic is completely flawed. you mine as well ask why the sky is blue.

At the risk of being in the minority, the styling is disappointing in too many respects. In trying for modern styling slickness, Ford failed to capture the visceral, animal attraction of the cars Mr. Shelby built as GT350s. When Mr. Shelby built the original GT350s, he did not have to match any other car. He invented the category. It reminds me of the difference between the GT500s and the SGTs. The GT500s were built by Ford to factory standards. Very competent in their own way, they were built to appeal to a larger audience than was the SGT, which was purpose built and built in relatively small numbers by Mr. Shelby in his Las Vegas facility. Bottom line, there is little evidence of Mr. Shelby in this new offering. It is a fantastic example of pony car development, which is no small feat, I acknowledge. It just isn't a Shelby.

Jim

At the risk of being in the minority, the styling is disappointing in too many respects. In trying for modern styling slickness, Ford failed to capture the visceral, animal attraction of the cars Mr. Shelby built as GT350s. When Mr. Shelby built the original GT350s, he did not have to match any other car. He invented the category. It reminds me of the difference between the GT500s and the SGTs. The GT500s were built by Ford to factory standards. Very competent in their own way, they were built to appeal to a larger audience than was the SGT, which was purpose built and built in relatively small numbers by Mr. Shelby in his Las Vegas facility. Bottom line, there is little evidence of Mr. Shelby in this new offering. It is a fantastic example of pony car development, which is no small feat, I acknowledge. It just isn't a Shelby.

Jim

I don't know about that. Times are much different now than they were back then. Shelby started with a plain jane car and added some bolt-ons (like today), but the difference is the GT350R, which was a true race car. There's not really an equivalent Shelby GT in modern times to match that raw racer. Also, back then Ford produced the GT350/500 in the later years to meet the demands of the larger market. In doing so, they arguably expanded the Shelby brand outside the racetrack. Today, the GT500 and now GT350 are potent offering right from the manufacturer, without the need for Shelby mods. They are engineered with serious performance capability -- even when compared to the base Ford Mustangs.

• The video of the Shelby GT passing a GT500 on a circle track: Subjective. The Shelby GT driver got a better run out of the corner and likely a better driver over all. Maybe the GT500 was bone stock. Who knows. The Shelby GT was clearly not stock.

The car was mine and the GT500 was a friend's so I can vouch for it. The GT500 also has FRPP suspension added on to it. The heat soak is the issue with the GT500 and the weight. The video was from several years ago and I have since heavily modded the car, but back then it was close to stock and an even comparison.

My blown 4.6 SGT runs 12.4's all night on street tires at an elevation of 4800 feet, 50k on the odometer (stock bottom end).

Now on to the new GT350 which I personally think is bad ass and gorgeous! I'd love to see a price but am afraid it will be in the same zip as the Z28.

Interesting opinions about the Shelby licensed title versus cars built or upgraded in a Shelby factory. I enjoy them all. It is great that Ford is still pushing the muscle car envelope with almost politically incorrect abandon in the over sensitive green world of opinion.

I own an original, Shelby factory built (when he had a federally authorized MSO operation) 1966 GT350. I also have the later Ford factory to Shelby factory modified 2011 Shelby GT350 (624), which is an amazing track car. I may well consider the 2016 Ford "Shelby" (name licensed) GT350, but only after the SA skunk works does their magic to the car. I am anal that way about the building of Shelby named cars for personal ownership but I do not disregard the other Shelby nameplate toys. A lot of research has gone into the design of each model and I find them all fun. :cool:

OK... Tell me this: Who here has kept their Shelby GT or a GT500 stock? Face it fellas, all this back and forth trying to prove something is purely subjective.

• The talk about GT500's being faster than Shelby GT's: That depends and is also subjective. You talking straight line only or on a road course after the stock GT500 became heat soaked after 1 flying lap? You get my point?

If you want to get specific, talk about the points of your highly modified Shelby GT vs. a highly modified GT500. And then go race each other to find out who would win. Personally, after all the work I have done to my GT500 I would be happy to take on a 2013 or 2014 stock GT500 on a road course. Good luck keeping up with me. Bet the Shelby GT would compete well, too. Bottom line is it would not even be a fair fight because I have set my car up for exceptional handling, cooling & braking with a little bump in HP. While a more powerful GT500 will get me on the straight... I'll be by him after turn two.

If you want to find out for sure, go race each other and then get back to me and let me know who won. Now back on topic. The 2016 Shelby GT350 is the first Shelby Mustang since the Shelby GT that was designed for the road course and it is going to kick some Z28 butt!

my 08 GT/SC is heavily modified and the 4.6 is at its limit and that is my disappointment with my car. The 2014 GT/SC with the 5.0 Coyote has so much more potential and I don't see any need to do anything else to the 4.6. Considering an engine swap for sure as I'd never sell my 08 GT/SC for anything so it is an option

Archived