TEAM SHELBY FORUM

desire2bfast

Hi all! I've owned Elenor's Granddaughter a 2010 GT500 for about 18 months now. Got her with only 5.5K on the clock. This last year we spent some time at the track, like one weekend a month for 7 months, 2.5 hr's track time per day. She is totally stock with the exception of tires. I ran MPSS, 255 40 19 front and 295 35 19 rear. Initially tires were great but as I got more experience and speeds increased, the weakest links began to show. So I have questions on the best way to spend limited amount of funds. I've already purchased a set of aftermarket wheels and tires and plan on using the stock rims as my track rims.

Things I know ( or think I know). I need more tire up front. I need some negative camber and positive caster. The MPSS are great but I'd like something a bit softer for track use only. The goal would be to last the season.

So here's where I need help from you all who've been there and done that.

I'm looking hard at Hankook Ventus R-S3's, 275 35 AR19 front, 302 30 ZR 19 rear. I know that's a bit large for the rim width but only by 0.5 inch. Another tire I'm looking at are Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 R in the same sizes. Anyone have any track experience with either of these?

I will install caster camber plates this winter and I'm thinking about -3 camber and + 5 caster. Whadda think?

Air/water separator? I'm totally lost here. What's the need, benefit?

Brake pads - Tried Hawk HP + and they worked well but dang; whole lots o dust!

Seats - man, gotta get seats n harness. Looking hard at a Forza type.

How far off am I.

For starters you are headed in the right direction.... That being said, you may want to consider using a light weight wheel as your track wheel and save the heavy stock wheels for street use. The tire combos you want could work but there are much better options but you need to keep brake caliper clearance in mind. Oil separators will work and JLT makes a decent one for fairly cheap. The HP+ pads make dust but that's because they are actually working!!! If there is no dust that means you aren't stopping!!!

Seats... honestly ONLY go with Sparco, Recaro, or Sabelt. Just make sure it's a certified seat. Also PLEASE make sure you have your harnesses installed by a professional race shop. Even the rear angle rfom your shoulder back has to be between -5 to -20 degrees. if the belts are too high, you'll slide out under them and crush your knees into the dash, too low, and the belts will crack your collar bones. Not trying to scare you but we've seen some seriously horrific installations where clients get black-flagged because of improper installations.

If you need anything, feel free to reach out.

Eric@gmgracing.com

For starters you are headed in the right direction.... That being said, you may want to consider using a light weight wheel as your track wheel and save the heavy stock wheels for street use. The tire combos you want could work but there are much better options but you need to keep brake caliper clearance in mind. Oil separators will work and JLT makes a decent one for fairly cheap. The HP+ pads make dust but that's because they are actually working!!! If there is no dust that means you aren't stopping!!!

Seats... honestly ONLY go with Sparco, Recaro, or Sabelt. Just make sure it's a certified seat. Also PLEASE make sure you have your harnesses installed by a professional race shop. Even the rear angle rfom your shoulder back has to be between -5 to -20 degrees. if the belts are too high, you'll slide out under them and crush your knees into the dash, too low, and the belts will crack your collar bones. Not trying to scare you but we've seen some seriously horrific installations where clients get black-flagged because of improper installations.

If you need anything, feel free to reach out.

Eric@gmgracing.com

Says the "Porsche/Audi" expert. Welcome newbee Eric to the world of Shelbys and Mustangs. not your standard eurocar.

Big grin! I look at it like this. Getting one of the American big three auto's to be competitive on a road course is like converting a defensive tackle into a tailback! It takes a bit, but it can be done. What do you have when you are done? One big, bad, fast, nimble S. O. B.

Big grin! I look at it like this. Getting one of the American big three auto's to be competitive on a road course is like converting a defensive tackle into a tailback! It takes a bit, but it can be done. What do you have when you are done? One big, bad, fast, nimble S. O. B.

desire - Ohh it can be done - no doubt - done it several times. Check out the GT500 modification and tech section here on Team Shelby and read what others have done. Good stuff there and especially in the Brake and Suspension section. Happy Motoring!

desire - Ohh it can be done - no doubt - done it several times. Check out the GT500 modification and tech section here on Team Shelby and read what others have done. Good stuff there and especially in the Brake and Suspension section. Happy Motoring!

I have been brother! I have been. That's how I formulated my game plan. I installed 3 inch brake cooling ducts last spring. This winter is 18X10 Apex ET 43 wheels, likely wrapped in 295/30ZR 18 Toyo R888's all the way around, BBK caster camber plates set to -3 camber and +5 caster, Corbeau Forza seats n harness. If that goes as planned, next winter will be adj struts n shocks, lower springs, and likely someone's watts link and adj control arms. My financial priorities are retirement in 1,032 days. This is my toy so I force myself be as smart as possible (for me anyway) and plan where my limited pennies go.

It's not like it was OMG terrible bone stock with decent tires!

Archived