TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone Need/want A New Pair Of Super Snake Specific Hood Struts For Their Car?

Robert M

I was going through some boxes in my garage and realized that I have a new pair of Red Line Elite struts still in their original shipping tube. These are the stainless steel struts and are specific for the 2007-up Super Snake FG hood.

Save $40+...........

$90 shipped in the lower 48 U.S. states.

0322_zpscd27442f.jpg

R

Tried to send pm but it says you can't receive messages at this time please send me you contact info so we can arrange payment. Thanks, Ray

Hi Ray, I just realized my PM box was at 100% full. I have deleted messages and you should now be able to PM me.

Thanks, Robert

Got them on my SS and they work great.

Yes, they are a nice add to these cars and get rid of the prop-rod.

The person who was going to purchase these backed out, so they are still for sale to anyone who wants to upgrade.

Thanks, Robert

• 5 months later...

Have any of you experienced hood warping as a result of using the struts on the fiberglass SS hood? I bought a pair for mine but was advised not to install them due to fiberglass warpage....Thoughts? Comments? I would love to get rid of the prop rod....

Thanks

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

You still have these Robert? I have them on my '12, gonna need a set for the '08. You know if any drilling is required with these? I had to find a location on the hood, and drill for rivits on the '12.

LMK!

Jim

Jim - I sold these on eBay a couple of months ago. They would require drilling. I don't think any of the Super Snake FG hoods have the hole(s) that are used for the no-drill attachment at the hood end for the no-drill RedLine kits..

Have any of you experienced hood warping as a result of using the struts on the fiberglass SS hood? I bought a pair for mine but was advised not to install them due to fiberglass warpage....Thoughts? Comments? I would love to get rid of the prop rod....

Thanks

Barry

I never installed these on mine, but others have, they would have to give first hand feedback. I would guess (but am not sure), that if an owner left their hood fully open for long periods of time, maybe weeks or months the weight of the hood forward of the strut mount location could allow the hood to warp forward of the strut mounting point?, but when the hood is closed, or set down on the secondary latch, I would guess that these struts would have more of a forward pressure when compressed and not an upward pressure because the struts don't really push "up" until the hood is lifted up quite a ways, then they take over and hold the hood up. Before that point, the struts are basically pointing straight forward at a right angle to the hood mounting position when the hood is closed or almost closed.

I ended up going with a no-drill solution that mounts to the hood hinge brackets and am very happy with the results, I've had them on my car for about 2 years.

R

Jim - I sold these on eBay a couple of months ago. They would require drilling. I don't think any of the Super Snake FG hoods have the hole(s) that are used for the no-drill attachment at the hood end for the no-drill RedLine kits..

Dang, o well. I realize that drilling is required. I had to do the same to install these on my other super snake(which I have had no warping issues on). I actually needed to get some different end cups that had a bigger relief cut to allow the angle to close). I had to work with andreas(owner of red line), and Jer to find a solution. At least now that I have done one car, I have the exact measurement required for correct install!

Thanks for the response Robert!

Jim

Hey guys a great alternative is the NXT Super Snake hood struts. They don't require drilling and work great. I actually just switched from MRT's struts that didn't hold up my Super Snake hood to these and a huge difference. But just thought I would let you guys know these are great drill-less hood struts.

I may look into those. I had a set that were supposedly rated to 90 lbs I think it was. They advertised for the fiberglass ss hood. I was at a show where it was cool out(30's/40's) and the hood fell once and almost a second time. I never had an issue when it was warmer(expanded gas, more compression). The drills holes required for the redlines move the attachment like 6 inches farther out on the hood. Never had an issue during the cool weather shows last fall.

Question for 05mustangman: do you by chance have a pic of how yours are mounted up? Is there a new bracket on the hood that moves out the attachment point?

Ill take a picture of them when I get home and post it. And honestly, I think they made my hood fit better too. With the MRT's on there, the hood stuck up above the fender a tiny bit. But now with NXT, the hood sits flush with the fenders.

Dang, o well. I realize that drilling is required. I had to do the same to install these on my other super snake(which I have had no warping issues on). I actually needed to get some different end cups that had a bigger relief cut to allow the angle to close). I had to work with andreas(owner of red line), and Jer to find a solution. At least now that I have done one car, I have the exact measurement required for correct install!

Jim

Hey Jim, I tried Redline SS hood struts on my 08 but could not get the hood to close flush. It seemed that the struts would not lay low enough to allow the hood to close flush. I had to return the struts but unfortunately I was left with the brackets riveted to my hood. I'm curious about your reference to "different end cups". Does this sound like it might resolve my problem? I would love to add the struts back on if I could get them to fit.

Thanks, Rich

Jim

Hey Jim, I tried Redline SS hood struts on my 08 but could not get the hood to close flush. It seemed that the struts would not lay low enough to allow the hood to close flush. I had to return the struts but unfortunately I was left with the brackets riveted to my hood. I'm curious about your reference to "different end cups". Does this sound like it might resolve my problem? I would love to add the struts back on if I could get them to fit.

Thanks, Rich

Thanks, Rich

Hi Rich,

It very well could. Was it pushing up at the end, or from the strut itself not sitting low enough? I would have definitely bowed the struts if I used the end cups that came in the tube. If mine wasn't on the lift I would take some snaps.

Got any snaps of where the bracket is located? That was wrong in the directions as well. There is no flush lip on my SS hood.....

Hi Rich,

It very well could. Was it pushing up at the end, or from the strut itself not sitting low enough? I would have definitely bowed the struts if I used the end cups that came in the tube. If mine wasn't on the lift I would take some snaps.

Got any snaps of where the bracket is located? That was wrong in the directions as well. There is no flush lip on my SS hood.....

Hi Jim, It appeared that there wasn't enough room for the strut to fit between the fender well and the underside of the hood. I did follow Redline's instructions for the location of the brackets. The clay putty impressions are where the underside of the hood rests when fully closed flush without the struts installed:

Here are a couple of pictures:

IMG_2289.jpgIMG_2279.jpgIMG_2295.jpg

IMG_2305.jpgIMG_2290.jpg

NXT's are what I installed also. 4-5 years ago I bought a set of NXT's for install on my Super Snake, they were "advertised" for use with aftermarket hoods, but when I installed them they did not hold up my Super Snake hood securely, they were 70lb rating. I then worked with the vendor and he worked with NXT to increase the psi on these NXT struts to 90lbs, they sent me a set for trial fitment/use and they have been on my car since that time. I reported back my findings and they have offered the 90lb struts since that time for the Super Snake FG hood application. I wanted these struts to appear as to be oem when the hood is open so I did not install the NXT stickers..............

Picture1925-2.jpg

Picture1927-2.jpg

Picture1928-2.jpg

Picture1924-1.jpg

^^^^There have been a number of cosmetic changes under my hood since this picture was taken, but this shows the struts "blending in".as if they were installed from the factory.

R

Hi Robert, Yeah I had NXT struts on my stock hood. I liked them but was concerned about the weight of the SS hood. Especially the short distance they extend down the hood. I really like the way the Redline supports the hood much further down on the hood.

I didn't realize that NXT offered a strut for a heavier hood and still don't see that on their web site. Unfortunately I did drill and install the Redline brackets so I'd be interested to see if there is any way to make them work. Maybe Jim will have some insight after viewing my pics.

Thanks, Rich

Hi Robert, Yeah I had NXT struts on my stock hood. I liked them but was concerned about the weight of the SS hood. Especially the short distance they extend down the hood. I really like the way the Redline supports the hood much further down on the hood.

I didn't realize that NXT offered a strut for a heavier hood and still don't see that on their web site. Unfortunately I did drill and install the Redline brackets so I'd be interested to see if there is any way to make them work. Maybe Jim will have some insight after viewing my pics.

Thanks, Rich

The thing that is nice about the NXT's is the thick metal bracket at the hood end of the strut located further away from the hood hinge than some other bolt-on strut kits (but not as far up the hood as the RedLines) and that thick metal bracket seems to transfer the pressure of the strut to the metal hood hinge instead of the FG of the hood itself when the hood is open and when pulling the hood down to the closed position.

R

Hi Rich,

Jim, Any thoughts after looking at the pictures? Sure would be nice to figure something out seeing as I have the brackets already installed. I suppose I could drill out the rivets and remove the brackets, but I figured I'd just leave them there rather than risking having a bunch of holes on each side of my hood.

Jim, Any thoughts after looking at the pictures? Sure would be nice to figure something out seeing as I have the brackets already installed. I suppose I could drill out the rivets and remove the brackets, but I figured I'd just leave them there rather than risking having a bunch of holes on each side of my hood.

I need to get under the hood and check mine, but from what I recall, I thought my bracket was on the other side of the lip? Plans are to get into the garage and check them out this week.

I need to get under the hood and check mine, but from what I recall, I thought my bracket was on the other side of the lip? Plans are to get into the garage and check them out this week.

Cool, Thanks.

Alright, here we go. I had to climb up on the lift so my shot selection was not the greatest. First time looking at her since Oct.....like falling in love all over again. lol

As far as the struts, you can see how mine clear, and I tried to show a shot of the different style cup end he sent me. Looks like a different gen hood as well.

image4_zpsxzobr2dt.jpegimage3_zpsfshg8kx9.jpegimage2_zpsibw5e4ld.jpegimage1_zpsl5c2zx5m.jpegimage_zpst90nx9wl.jpeg

Thanks Jim! Appreciate you taking the time to uncover your car and take the pictures. It appears that the hood may be a different generation and affect the angle of the bracket.

Your end cups do look smaller than mine. What was the problem with the original cups? Did they cause your hood to raise up on the edges similar to my pictures? Do you think the smaller end cups could resolve my problem?

Archived