TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Friday Photo Shoot & Post Processing Results

Z-man

I got a couple friends together on Friday for a photo shoot. Due to the weather not cooperating, things did not go "exactly" as planned, But we made the best of it. The day was threatening rain, and the lighting was very flat due to the overcast sky.

For this shoot, I wanted to try something new. I usually don't do any post processing of my photos. I try to get them as good as possible (composition, cropping, exposure, focus, depth of field, etc.) by using the camera alone, and not adjusting or tweaking anything after the fact. I guess that's a hold over from my film camera days. Some digital photographers consider that a pompous stance, and see it as foolish, considering what can now be done in PhotoShop as opposed to the darkroom.

I have seen some photos lately that look stunning, and cannot be done 'in camera'. To get the effect, thee photos must be post processed. So, I shot the photos on Friday with a combination of 'old school' and new generation digital processing in mind.

These are my first attempt at this process, so take a look and let me know what you think.

Z-man

Ps - The Cobra was not from Friday. It was an experiment in seeing what I could do with a photo I had previously taken.

HDR4_zps765c7758.jpg

HDR6_zps79185df2.jpg

HDR1_zps5e81bc03.jpg

HDR5_zps802f1a1a.jpg

HDR7_zps56c0cbeb.jpg

HDR9_zps63c174af.jpg

HDR11_zpsbacd82b3.jpg

HDR8_zps0c47e708.jpg

HDR9-Copy_zpse0736525.jpg

I love 'em Zman! Keep up the good work!

PS I had a blast, it was great to meet an icon in a relaxed atmosphere! I owe ya one!

Edit..... Posted from the wife's account so as to hide......

I knew it was you. You can run, but you can't hide.

Can anyone guess who the 'icon' is who Doug is referring to? For a hint, check out the front licence plate on the 1966 GT350.

Z-man

Probably Chuck Cantwell.

You are correct sir!

After the photo shoot we went back to the house for hot dogs and burgers, then hung out on the patio swapping Shelby stories and bench racing.

You are correct sir!

After the photo shoot we went back to the house for hot dogs and burgers, then hung out on the patio swapping Shelby stories and bench racing.

Chuck is a regular at the Shelby American Collection event. I suspect he will be there next Saturday. They always have a session where the "old crew" swaps fishing, er, driving for Shelby stories. It's amazing to hear them talk about it. They were a rag-tag bunch of car guys that really knew what to do and that caught everyone in Europe off guard.

Here's a picture from the 2008 Shelby American Collection

DSC_1629.jpg

Z-Man,

You realize of course that the master of post-processing was Ansel Adams. I don't think he ever printed anything that came straight out of the camera. All we're doing now is arriving more quickly at what took him hours to do by hand in the dark room. There's no fence around creativity.

Nice pics.

John

Ok Z-man

Thanks for sending me the email about this photo shoot. I have not logged onto or looked at any Shelby site in about 2 months, not one.

First off: Overcast is your friend, embrace it. Unless it's sunrise or sunset don't try to do a photo shoot in direct light, ever.

Now about your photo's here. Wow...they are great. First time out with photo editing, great job. I can't get over how well you did. Again...WOW!!!

As for me. The first one is from the Simeone Museum in Philly. No chain link fence, power lines or dumpsters (don't forget the wooden pallets).

The second shot is from The Cosmopolitan in Vegas. I'm having fun doing my vacation shots.

The third shot, I'm doing people now. This actually is my most viewed photo.

14671481665_50b3d07134_c.jpg

14645770960_5ef9f31a5a_c.jpg

14566068975_22095c04cc_c.jpg

CaptDave

Z-Man,

You realize of course that the master of post-processing was Ansel Adams. I don't think he ever printed anything that came straight out of the camera. All we're doing now is arriving more quickly at what took him hours to do by hand in the dark room. There's no fence around creativity.

Nice pics.

John

I recall that when it became common knowledge that Ansel Adams spent hours burning and dodging his photos in the darkroom, some of his fans didn't want to accept that explanation of why his prints looked the way they did. They wanted to think that the images came directly out of his camera looking that good.

In the past, I too have spent time burning and dodging photos, so I guess digital 'post-processing' is just the modern day equivalent....plus you don't need to do it in the dark.

"Welcome to the new age"

Time to go knock down some fences.

Z-man

Ok Z-man

Thanks for sending me the email about this photo shoot. I have not logged onto or looked at any Shelby site in about 2 months, not one.

First off: Overcast is your friend, embrace it. Unless it's sunrise or sunset don't try to do a photo shoot in direct light, ever.

Now about your photo's here. Wow...they are great. First time out with photo editing, great job. I can't get over how well you did. Again...WOW!!!

As for me. The first one is from the Simeone Museum in Philly. No chain link fence, power lines or dumpsters (don't forget the wooden pallets).

The second shot is from The Cosmopolitan in Vegas. I'm having fun doing my vacation shots.

The third shot, I'm doing people now. This actually is my most viewed photo.

CaptDave

Capt'n -

Thanks for the compliments. I guess I'm on the right track.

As far as lighting, I agree direct or harsh light is not your friend. I usually go for the 'twilight' of sunrise or sunset, if possible. The day I took these photos was very gray and I would have liked a little more light to create some subtle shadows along the body lines of the cars.

Knowing the back lot of the Simeone, you must have spent considerable time removing those undesirable background distractions you mentioned. The shot looks great.

As for your 'most viewed photo', while it is a nice photo, I'd venture to guess it is your 'most viewed' due to the subject matter as opposed to ISO and shutter speed you selected. ;)

Z-man

What camera and lens did you use for your shots, I forgot what you had?

I never consider what's in the camera as done. I love my Photoshop CC 2014, I can't live without it.

This is the GT40 MK II in the 3 car shot above. This time there were people all over the cars. I had to get rid of the people, so I blurred them a bit.

These shots in B&W were done with a beginner camera & kit lens. I have had my entry level pro camera for 2.5 years. I will go full pro gear next year, watch out.

14040858521_d4d12c5ab6_c.jpg

14038164981_54f7eb729c_c.jpg

CaptDave

What camera and lens did you use for your shots, I forgot what you had?

CaptDave

I'm shooting a Nikon D7000 body with the extra battery pack / vertical grip. The amount of control this camera gives me is great. The user's manual sits out on my desk and I refer to it frequently. There are so many variables and settings that I have only scratched the surface of what it is capable of. The lens is a Tamron XR Di II (17 -50mm @ f2.8). It's a great lens, and really sharp. I believe they make one now that is a little longer focal length, but still f2.8, which would be even nicer.

Seems my photos are "getting around".

Check out Michael Satterfield's web site, "The Gentleman Racer", and see if anything looks familiar...

http://www.thegentlemanracer.com/2014/08/shelby-by-bill-caron.html

It's a great site and Michael is a real good guy. Make sure to sign up for his newsletter when you visit. It's pretty much the only piece of e-mail that I look forward to receiving, on a regular basis. Mike also runs a sportswear company, and has many Shebly inspired items, so check those out as well.

Z-man

The Gentleman Racer, that was great Z-man. Those were fantastic shots, again well done.

I don't know when I will do my next Shelby/Ford shoot? For now I will continue to practice my vacation & weekend excursion shots.

14058533534_e92648f5e4_c.jpg

15056182235_11a338e393_c.jpg

CaptDave

Archived