TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Differences Between Gt-500Kr And Gt-500?

ZEROED

Yes, Gary P. spent many hours burning up to track with these trying to get the best tire.

Did Peterson work for Ford/SVT? Because the Shelby Prototype KR had 20" wheels/tires on it and I don't know of any 20's that are Winged Boot.

Phill

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did Peterson work for Ford/SVT? Because the Shelby Prototype KR had 20" wheels/tires on it and I don't know of any 20's that are Winged Boot.

Phill

Are you taking about the New York auto show KR. That was a show car. There where several preproduction KRs. I remember hearing that they only made 4 sets of 20" KR rims. The Silver New York car, SAI's blue KR and SVT's red KR. Don't know what happen to the 4th set.

Phil all the pics of the 20" KR wheels I can recall wore Pirelli tires. Fia, you'd like my KRs. Both are sporting 20" Alcoas, FRPP TVS's and the '13/'14 GT500 CF driveshaft. I have zero regrets with these mods.

Phil all the pics of the 20" KR wheels I can recall wore Pirelli tires.

Yeah, exactly. That's what I'm saying above. Gary Paterson had the KR with 20" Alcoa's and Pirelli P zeros on it, not the 18" Alcoa's with Winged Boot F-1 Supercar tires.

Unless he worked for FoMoCo prior to Shelby Automobiles Inc. (prior to it changing names to Shelby American). I don't know his bio so that is 100% possible.

Phill

If I recall correctly, Goodyear made the wingfoot F1's specifically for the KR at Ford's request, which lead to them be offered to the public. I also recall Amy stating that SA wanted the 20" wheels on the KR but Ford said 'No'.

If I recall correctly, Goodyear made the wingfoot F1's specifically for the KR at Ford's request, which lead to them be offered to the public. I also recall Amy stating that SA wanted the 20" wheels on the KR but Ford said 'No'.

I'd rather have 19's. I think it's the perfect compromise. You have a smaller tire profile but, still have enough sidewall.

I wish the KR came with 19" rims, aluminum driveshaft, and a TVS blower.

EXACTLY! One of the biggest reasons I didn't buy one. That and the V6 rear spoiler and "S H E L B Y" badging on the front hood. If you are going to buy a KR it makes sense to keep it "stock" for value reasons, which leaves too much performance potential off the table for me.

Don't forget the Ford Racing M20201-C strut tower brace, a must have for the 07-09s.

The oem 07-09 GT500 bar is way too flimsy for my liking.

Easy install too, just R&R 4 13mm nuts.

Nah, this is a waste of money. The car doesn't really even need a strut tower brace to begin with. This just adds unnecessary weight to the front of an already nose-heavy car.

It's an advertised conservative 40 hp difference. KRs dyno around 500 rwhp.

Yeah, I'm not buying it. Aftermarket dynamometers are notorious for generating wildly varying numbers, depending on all kinds of factors. Ford Racing rates that power package at 40HP. So, unless that is RWHP or the tune in the KR is different, then the aftermarket dynos are being generous.

Yeah, I'm not buying it. Aftermarket dynamometers are notorious for generating wildly varying numbers, depending on all kinds of factors. Ford Racing rates that power package at 40HP. So, unless that is RWHP or the tune in the KR is different, then the aftermarket dynos are being generous.

I thought the same thing till I had my car dynoed @ 500 to the wheels. The 2010 GT500 that dynoed before me made 10 less hp. Same day, same dyno. Both cars rated @ 540. I think I remember reading something on here that the Shelby tune is slightly different than the Ford tune. Between that and the less restrictive CAI (compared to the factory 2010-2012) I can see it. Like others have said, several KRs have dynoed @ 500 or more.

if the tune is different, i could see a slight increase. a more aggressive tune can make a lot of difference. all other mods being equal, i ran the FRPP tune for a while before adding a Jon Lund tune and you can feel it for sure. I believe the FRPP tune is designed for 91 octane, whereas we can take advantage of a 93 octane tune here in texas.

Personally, I had a choice between the KR and the GT500 and after looking at the KR closely, I realized I could buy the GT500 and upgrade to handle and perform as good or better than the KR for less $$$$. It was a simple decision at that point. I had a vision of what I wanted the car to be and over time it has become a reality. The people who bought the KR wanted it for what it was. Bottom line, I like the GT500 better.

Personally, I had a choice between the KR and the GT500 and after looking at the KR closely, I realized I could buy the GT500 and upgrade to handle and perform as good or better than the KR for less $$$$. It was a simple decision at that point. I had a vision of what I wanted the car to be and over time it has become a reality. The people who bought the KR wanted it for what it was. Bottom line, I like the GT500 better.

YEAH !

That's how they're different. :doh:

Most important difference between a standard GT500 and a KR is one was actually completed at SAI before going on sale and put on the dealer floor and likely the last pre title Shelby we'll ever see with actual SAI pedigree and the other is a mass produced off the line car with Shelbys name. You can't buy that for your GT500.

The KR is a great balance between power and handling with all it's upgrades. Ford pretty much copied the upgrades in 2010-12. For it's power and weight it actually is a pretty competent track car aside from being just good in a straight line.

There is always more performance potential in any car and each year performance in new cars eclipses the previous. One thing that a new mass produced model can't eclipse is provenance and limited numbers.

If it was always about 0-60 and getting more performance guys would be trading original KRs for 5.0 Fox bodies or even new Mustang GTs.

I could trade my KR for a new 2014 GT500 today. Would I. No f'n way. Not even close.

Most important difference between a standard GT500 and a KR is one was actually completed at SAI before going on sale and put on the dealer floor and likely the last pre title Shelby we'll ever see with actual SAI pedigree and the other is a mass produced off the line car with Shelbys name. You can't buy that for your GT500.

Agree. Further illustrates my previous point of "The people who bought the KR wanted it for what it was" and they were willing to pay the high price tag/would not dare modify it. To me, regardless of where the car was built it is and always will be a Shelby of which I modified to make it better. I knew that was my goal going in and wanted a car which would perform better than the KR.... and as anyone can see there was a LOT of work that needed to be done.

The KR is a GT500!!! It's just been given the KR upgrade from SAI, which makes this an unbelievable GT500. It's production numbers are much lower than the GT500, it will always maintain a higher value, and for the difference of the cost of the KR and doing a lot of upgrades to at GT500, it's not that different. The tune is different in the KR, it is essentially the Pro-Cal tune you get with the TVS upgrade. In fact, you can install the TVS on a KR without changing a tune. Also, the ABS/Traction control was modified on the track by Gary P. and a Ford tuner, which is a substantial upgrade if you are on the track or breaking the tires loose. All the upgrades that I've seen in previous posts look complete. I'm not sure if this was posted, but the original owner could get a 16x20 print framed with a metal tag that has the CSM # and Carroll signature. I bought that and it looks awesome and stays with the car. Like Real One stated, this car is much different than the standard GT500 and if someone wanted to trade me a 2014 for mine, I would without hesitation Pass!!

...this car is much different than the standard GT500 and if someone wanted to trade me a 2014 for mine, I would without hesitation Pass!!

Same here. I can go out and buy a 2014 if I wanted one, just as anyone can go out and buy a KR. In a few more years, each will just be a used Mustang, but the KR will still be more special (to me), as it's the last pre-title "real" Shelby Mustang, built while the old man was still around to see it. That, and the KR is, well, a KR. :)

The great thing about the GT500 is that anyone can modify one to meet their needs and many of us have done that. I threw a lot of money into my 07 and I loved it, but I got to the point where I was getting tired of modding it and getting tired of "wanting" to mod it. I wanted something that I could be content with just the way it was so I picked up a KR.

I take nothing away from any GT500 owner who'd rather modify their car, that's all part of the experience. I also firmly believe that every GT500 is a "true" Shelby since CS had a very active roll in its conception and design; I've argued the point for years.

That being said, at the end of the day, if a GT500 isn't a SS or a KR it's just a modified GT500. The CSM plate always has and always will carry a lot of weight.

AK.

The KR is a GT500!!! It's just been given the KR upgrade from SAI, which makes this an unbelievable GT500. It's production numbers are much lower than the GT500, it will always maintain a higher value, and for the difference of the cost of the KR and doing a lot of upgrades to at GT500, it's not that different. The tune is different in the KR, it is essentially the Pro-Cal tune you get with the TVS upgrade. In fact, you can install the TVS on a KR without changing a tune. Also, the ABS/Traction control was modified on the track by Gary P. and a Ford tuner, which is a substantial upgrade if you are on the track or breaking the tires loose. All the upgrades that I've seen in previous posts look complete. I'm not sure if this was posted, but the original owner could get a 16x20 print framed with a metal tag that has the CSM # and Carroll signature. I bought that and it looks awesome and stays with the car. Like Real One stated, this car is much different than the standard GT500 and if someone wanted to trade me a 2014 for mine, I would without hesitation Pass!!

The tune is different in the KR, it is essentially the Pro-Cal tune you get with the TVS upgrade.

I don't believe that is factually correct. The tune might be different if Shelby American did anything to it while the car was in Vegas. Otherwise, it was provided by Ford Racing Performance Parts to match the specific kit it belongs to. In this case... http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/FORD_RACING_SHELBY_GT500_POWER_UPGRADE_PACK_p/m-2007-fr1svt.htm.

The KR is a great balance between power and handling with all it's upgrades. Ford pretty much copied the upgrades in 2010-12. For it's power and weight it actually is a pretty competent track car aside from being just good in a straight line.

There is always more performance potential in any car and each year performance in new cars eclipses the previous. One thing that a new mass produced model can't eclipse is provenance and limited numbers.

If it was always about 0-60 and getting more performance guys would be trading original KRs for 5.0 Fox bodies or even new Mustang GTs.

I could trade my KR for a new 2014 GT500 today. Would I. No f'n way. Not even close.

one was actually completed at SAI before going on sale and put on the dealer floor and likely the last pre title Shelby we'll ever see with actual SAI pedigree and the other is a mass produced off the line car with Shelbys name. You can't buy that for your GT500.

It's exactly that kind of romanticizing that I find fundamentally flawed. Again, if you bought the car as a "collector's item" (investment), then you are already looking at it from a completely different perspective than me. There is no actual SAI pedigree in the KR that doesn't also exist in the "mass produced" car with Shelby's name. Carroll was involved with ALL GT500s from 2007-2014 (moreso with 2007-2012). Aside from badges, SAI merely installed aftermarket parts available for sale from Ford Racing's parts bin. Some were manufactured specifically for the KR, but were ultimately made available to anybody. At the end of the day, if you are an SAI romantic, you will need to recruit new romantics to see the value you see in your KR. yes, it's limited production but, in my opinion there's also a limited number of potential buyers willing to pay for that romantic image.

For me, I took the same Shelby-branded parts and Ford Racing-branded parts and upgraded my Shelby GT500 per SAI's "Super Snake" specifications as a baseline (TVS upgrade, shifter, drive-shaft, suspension). I then continued to mod based on my experience with the car's performance and where it saw it was deficient, which included widened rear wheels (increased traction), finned axle cover (heat dissipation), adjustable panhard bar (center lowered axle), lower control arm relocation brackets (correct rear suspension geometry and wheel hop), caster/camber plates (fine tune front end alignment), custom ECU tune (improve throttle response and low end power), oil separator (keep engine oil out of intake path), clutch upgrade (handle increased power), larger heat exchanger reservoir (improve cooling potential), boss 302 brake lines (resistance to brake fade from line expansion), brembo slotted rotor upgrade (improve cooling potential) w/ceramic pads (reduce brake dust build-up), etcetera, etcetera.

I like the KR for what it is, but there's no way I could drive one now without being disappointed.

one was actually completed at SAI before going on sale and put on the dealer floor and likely the last pre title Shelby we'll ever see with actual SAI pedigree and the other is a mass produced off the line car with Shelbys name. You can't buy that for your GT500.

It's exactly that kind of romanticizing that I find fundamentally flawed. Again, if you bought the car as a "collector's item" (investment), then you are already looking at it from a completely different perspective than me. There is no actual SAI pedigree in the KR that doesn't also exist in the "mass produced" car with Shelby's name. Carroll was involved with ALL GT500s from 2007-2014 (moreso with 2007-2012). Aside from badges, SAI merely installed aftermarket parts available for sale from Ford Racing's parts bin. Some were manufactured specifically for the KR, but were ultimately made available to anybody. At the end of the day, if you are an SAI romantic, you will need to recruit new romantics to see the value you see in your KR. yes, it's limited production but, in my opinion there's also a limited number of potential buyers willing to pay for that romantic image.

For me, I took the same Shelby-branded parts and Ford Racing-branded parts and upgraded my Shelby GT500 per SAI's "Super Snake" specifications as a baseline (TVS upgrade, shifter, drive-shaft, suspension). I then continued to mod based on my experience with the car's performance and where it saw it was deficient, which included widened rear wheels (increased traction), finned axle cover (heat dissipation), adjustable panhard bar (center lowered axle), lower control arm relocation brackets (correct rear suspension geometry and wheel hop), caster/camber plates (fine tune front end alignment), custom ECU tune (improve throttle response and low end power), oil separator (keep engine oil out of intake path), clutch upgrade (handle increased power), larger heat exchanger reservoir (improve cooling potential), boss 302 brake lines (resistance to brake fade from line expansion), brembo slotted rotor upgrade (improve cooling potential) w/ceramic pads (reduce brake dust build-up), etcetera, etcetera.

I like the KR for what it is, but there's no way I could drive one now without being disappointed.

Then your expectations are way to high and that's about the dumbest comment I've seen on this forum to date.

AK.

Then your expectations are way to high and that's about the dumbest comment I've seen on this forum to date.

AK.

You haven't been here very long... lot's of dumb things are said on forums. This one was actually pretty intelligent. You just don't agree with his statement.

I've modded my GT500 to the extent that when I drove a KR, I was a bit underwhelmed as well. Everything is relevant. :whistling:

I don't think its me that doing to the "romanticizing" or has fundamentally flawed thinking. You want to think a mass produced car with infinitesimal involvement by Carroll Shelby in it's development, completely developed by SVT and having never seen SAI has the same pedigree as a car that was completed at SAI and involved substantial development effort and substantial involvment of Carroll Shelby and delivered pre-title from SAI to Ford dealers for sale? How many parts on a mass produced GT500 were specifically developed, designed and limited to just the GT500 by Shelby Ameriacn? Zero.

You think Carroll Shelby had more than infinitesimal involvement in the GT500 development then detail what he did and the hours he spent developing the car and its parts and performance. Carroll Shelby's and SAI's involvement with the KR was substantial, central and instrumental. Go tell Gary Patterson it wasn't. Carroll even owned a KR. Don't think he ever bothered to own a mass produced GT500.

You want to slap some FRPP parts and other aftermarket parts on a GT500 and say it's just as good or better as a KR go ahead. Your GT500 may be faster in a straight line but it's no KR. You likely put way more into you car then you would have spent on a KR. Performance better? What's better? Straight line 1/4 mile speed? Ride, sound? Handling? Depends what you are looking for. My Boss 302 will likely out run your GT500 on road course. It's not all about monster power and huge tire 20" tires. If a stock KR, which can break the tires loose at will in second gear and have dynoed stock at around 580hp at the crank is not enough power for you, what can I say, you're the man.

I didn't buy the KR for investment purposes. I bought it because it was a special build by SAI, very limited and one of the best looking Shelby Mustangs ever built. How many '08-09 red GT500's are there? Thousands. There are only 200 red KRs on the planet. How many '08-09 Vista Blue GT500s are there? Thousands. There are only 180 Vista Blue KR's on the planet.

No matter how many mods you do your car will never be a KR nor would you likely find any KR owner willing to trade even up for your car.

While I didn't by the KR for investment it will hold its value substantially better than your car even with all your "mods" and has a very good chance at regaining the value it lost when the economy tanked. How many guys were paying over $100K for standard GT500s? Zero.

A stock Fox body 5.0 will out pull a '68 KR. I guess you'd rather have the Fox body?

Stop trying to argue that your standard GT500 has the same Shelby pedigree as a KR or an SS or a Shelby GT or any other car that has actually come through SAI. It just makes you look silly.

"There is no actual SAI pedigree in the KR " Beg to differ. Ask Gary Patterson on that one.

I like the KR for what it is, but there's no way I could drive one now without being disappointed..

As Viper NC mentioned, it is all relative to each owner. As a KR owner, I can't possibly imagine a minute driving this car where I would be disappointed. Like AK, I measured pros and cons of dropping buckets of money in a std GT500 vs buying a KR and leaving it alone. Is the car perfect? No, far from it. For me, it represents the best SA, FR and SVT had to offer at the time while offering exclusivity, uniqueness, big power, killer looks and Shelby pedigree. Heck, Carroll even owned one himself. I am not a Shelby romantic nor a romantic recruiter. I just drive my KR whenever I have a chance because it makes me happy.

Archived