TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Differences Between Gt-500Kr And Gt-500?

ZEROED

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are the differences between the GT-500KR and the GT-500? Basically, what upgrades does the KR have over the GT-500? Thanks.

I'm surprised nobody else has jumped in on this.....

Engine: Cold Air intake and tune added to get 540HP over the 'base' 500HP.

Body: Carbon fiber hood with 'scoops'. Carbon fiber mirror caps and front splitter. I can't remember if the rockers are CF or not. A less agressive rear spoiler from a V-6 Mustang finish off the body mods.

Wheels: 18" Alcoa Dura-bright GT500KR engraved wheels.

Tires: "Winged Boot" Goodyear F-1 Supercar tires with better grip than the non winged-boot F-1 tires.

I think that's it but I'm sure someone else with much more knowledge will step in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Phill

FRPP cold air intake and tune netting 540hp

H mid pipe vs X mid pipe on standard GT500's

FRPP GT500KR specific mufflers

KR specific springs and shocks

V6 front swaybar swapped in to reduce understeer

V6 rear wing to reduce drag from factory GT500 wing

Carbon fiber functional ram air hood

18" alcoa wheels

Rear diff expansion reservoir

FRPP GT500KR specific short throw shifter and knob

Those are the primary mechanical differences that I can remember off the top of my head.

What is/are the difference(s) between the 2008/09 GT500KR 540hp and the 2010 GT500 540hp?

Is the additional 40hp achieved in the same way over the regular production 2007-2009 GT500? or differently?

R

I know the 2010's use Knock Sensors but can't answer the rest of your question.

Phill

In addition to all of the above mentioned items the rear is a 3.73 and has the overflow catch can. Interior wise the headrests are embroidered with GT500KR as well as a dash plaque with its VIN. Under the hood the engine has GT500KR fluid caps. In the trunk the trunk lid has the inside covered with a panel that matches the rest of the trunk.

Isn't there a full list of all changes made by SAI, somewhere online? If not, there should be.

Little details like the style of hardware that SAI used, may be of interest to restorers some years down the road.

Here's everything you ever wanted to know about the KR, but were afraid to google it. :)

FYI: The 540 HP is turning out to be a myth, it has more like 500-510 at the wheels. This is what a few guys who are having theirs dynoed are saying.

Scroll to the bottom for a complete list of the $35,000 KR upgrade.

AK.

http://www.mustangheaven.com/stangspecs/2008/2008ShelbyGT500KR.htm

I had mine dynoed at Carlisle last year. On a rather sticky day, the HP was 496 at the rear wheels. Depending upon what is used for a drive train loss, that would end up between 550 HP and 580 HP at the flywheel. Since the rate HP is normally taken from the flywheel numbers, the actual HP is well above the rated numbers.

I agree with SGT0767, when manufacturers state a car's hp it is usually rated at the flywheel. With that said when you figure in parasitic loss to the rear wheels the actual 540 hp rating is conservative. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 662 hp of the '13/'14 GT500s is at the flywheel not at the rear.

the additional HP is from the cold-air intake and associated Ford Racing computer tune sold as a package to anybody with a credit card. There are no additional power mods on the KR. the Ford Racing tune is conservative. I had a version of it on the TVS upgrade package (also from Ford Racing) and just a re-flash of the software made a noticeable difference in seat-of-the-pants feel. i have not dyno-ed my car, but i when i do i'll post the results.

Stock GT500's dyno around 440hp with "500hp" and an intake and a tune can easily gain them 50-70hp putting the GT500KR in the 490-510hp range even with Ford's 50 state legal tune. So the real number should be closer to 560-580hp at the flywheel for the KR's.

A trained monkey could do it.

I think an untrained monkey could get lucky and get it right within about 3 hours. The whole kit is basically a couple hose clamps and then plugging the programmer into the obd port at the bottom of the dash by your left leg and pressing continue a couple of times.

Tires: "Winged Boot" Goodyear F-1 Supercar tires with better grip than the non winged-boot F-1 tires.

Phill

Oh! So that is why my GT500 would never hook up on stock tires. It didn't come with the "Red Bull Winged Boot Goodyear F1's". :doh:

Oh! So that is why my GT500 would never hook up on stock tires. It didn't come with the "Red Bull Winged Boot Goodyear F1's". :doh:

I have a set of the Winged Boot F-1's on my 2010. It's on rails (when the tires are hot).

I can't say the same thing as when I had the stock/OEM F-1 tires on it that came from the factory.

So yeah, they DO make a difference.

Phill

Archived