TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Words Out 2016 Ford Mustang Svt 700 Hp Gt350 With Whipple Supercharger

Yeah, it's speculation and rumor for the moment. The 2016 year should be a great one for the new "halo" car. I had heard and read all the rumors about the GT-500 ending production in 2014 and I wanted one. As I've said before, I remember the 69/70 GT-500's and Boss 429's coming to an end although I couldn't believe it at the time we thought something bigger/better would come along. The 1971 429 SCJ Mach 1's seemed to relieve a little of the pain of losing the big block Mustangs but by '72 it was gone and by '74 so was the V-8 Mustang (for a year anyways). Even when the V-8 returned it was the 302-2V with 139 hp.

The new Mustang is going to be quick, light, and highly technical. It's going to be a great car that the world will enjoy with it's smaller but higher powered motors that return good economy too. I'm really interested to see what Ford (and the aftermarket) does to spice up a fairly plain looking Mustang for now. At the 50th Show in Charlotte, I ran into John Clor of Ford Racing and told him I had gotten a 2014 Shelby GT-500. He frowned, scolding me and said I should have waited on the new body style (LOL). However I'm a little older than John and wanted that "1969/70 feeling" I missed out on 45 years ago. I'm happy but I do think the new package will be a nice one too. :cool:

He (John Clor) must know something great is coming. Hmmmm. I wonder what it is ?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right. The 5.8 won't fit between the strut towers of the new stang.

That right there gives me pause to wonder where the "smaller" Mustang is headed. I remember back in '67 when they widened the shock towers to fit 390s, 427s, and 428s in the Mustang and Cougars, that was good news. This news….well not impressed and if it has some "Eco" or "Green" moniker I am flat not interested.

That right there gives me pause to wonder where the "smaller" Mustang is headed. I remember back in '67 when they widened the shock towers to fit 390s, 427s, and 428s in the Mustang and Cougars, that was good news. This news….well not impressed and if it has some "Eco" or "Green" moniker I am flat not interested.

I was pleasantly surprised by the looks of the 2015 and would consider one as a daily driver. But the trend is towards what I call "Mustang II" II. It will be smaller and will have to have a smaller engine (and thus less horsepower) to achieve corporate fuel mileage standards and to sell in world markets. The 5.0 Coyote is quite an engine and with a supercharger will be respectable, but nothing close to the last GT500s. The 2014 is the end of the big engine Mustangs. Fact.

I was pleasantly surprised by the looks of the 2015 and would consider one as a daily driver. But the trend is towards what I call "Mustang II" II. It will be smaller and will have to have a smaller engine (and thus less horsepower) to achieve corporate fuel mileage standards and to sell in world markets. The 5.0 Coyote is quite an engine and with a supercharger will be respectable, but nothing close to the last GT500s. The 2014 is the end of the big engine Mustangs. Fact.

True, so sad to see the big block go away again, traumatic like in 1971 when they all disappeared because of government.

+1, you wonder how much insight and insider knowledge you really need to predict a Wimbledon White with Guardsman Blue stripes GT350…….. :headspin:

Can't believe they would also produce a new "Shelby" the giant chrome pony in the grill.(LOL)

So much for Motor Trend's speculation. :cool:

My 2012 Shelby GT350 has a Tribar pony in the grille. Helps us to remember where it all started.

I guess that's a throwback to the 1965-66 GT-350 model's. I don't thing there were any "Mustang" emblems from about 1967 on the GT-500's. I couldn't find any on my 2011 or 2014 GT-500's. :)

When I was headed back to CO from the Shelby Bash and MCA 50th I saw a transporter that was FULL of 2015 Mustangs with that same "camouflage" on them. They were headed east on I-40 right around Gallop NM.

Phill

You'll all be happy with the next-generation GT350 and beyond.

I'm quite sure you are correct. This is not the 1974 Mustang II. (LOL) The Mustang II 1974 thru 1978 was a great car for it's time and what Washington DC, the EPA, the Safety Nazi's, and environmentalist thought we needed .... not what we wanted. I drove a few but never owned one. It's actually the only Mustang body style I've never owned and my daily driver's since 1970 have all been Mustangs. I actually kept and drove my 1970 Mustang as a daily driver until the performance minded Fox body 5.0 LX came and I owned two of those. I also had SN95's and S197's and thoroughly enjoyed each and ever one as a better Mustang than the previously one. I'm sure the 2015+ will be the same. :cool:

As a side note I can recall reading in a performance car magazine in the late 70's about "if" the safety standards and fuel concerns hadn't been on the horizon in the early 70's and what kind of Mustang we might have had. They speculated on the 71-73 body style continuing out through 1976. During those years it would have had the Boss 429 early on and evolved to a factory Boss 460 and finally a Boss 501. :drool:

Before anybody get's their panties in a wad over this I can also remember Popular Mechanic's in the late 50's saying we'd all be in flying jet cars by the mid-70's too. :drop: (LOL)

My first new car was a '75 Mustang II fastback 4 banger. The worst car I have ever owned, I traded up to a Maverick……. :drool:

The '71-'73 Mustang was not my favorite either, too big and fat looking, a far cry from my favorite '67-'68s. By the time I actually bought another Mustang in 2001 (the SVT Cobra), they were finally starting to look good and had some power and handling again. I suspect the 2015-2016 will be OK, but nothing I would rush out to buy to replace my 2013 GT350. I am curious where they go with engines, and will stay tuned.

• 4 months later...

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2016-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-spied-testing-with-huge-hood-bulge-1-86600.html#agal_3

If the car in the background is a GT350, then what's the car in the foreground ?

I like HS's read on all of it, because it works best for me. Lol.

I haven't been shy about blasting the curb appeal of the 6th gen so far. However, SVT variants will almost certainly improve upon that. And by the time the 10 year cycle draws to a close, I'm sure Ford will have made some changes to the base design we see now.

Plus, my 5th gen GT500 will be paid off by then and I'll be ready for the mother of all Cobras. Lol.

It's all fun to read about nonetheless.

That Ecoboost is a bad ass engine and working well for Mike Shank and the Gnassi boys in the Tudor Series. The question is how to make it "sound" like a proper Mustang.

Once a wing ding ding always a wing ding ding. I'm thinking play a MP3 through the sub woofer whenever the throttle is pushed. Seriously though I think the eco boost will be a big seller off American shores. I can see those Germans tormenting the Polizei on autobahn in their BMW's.

• 2 weeks later...

Awful, just awful. That is a sorry excuse for a GT350, reminds me of what Ford thought in 1984, disaster!

Still a great foundation for Shelby American to start from. SAI may have a good problem ahead of them. Trying to keep up with the worldwide demand. Best get your order in early.

I'm not going to argue with you on "truths" but my bet says no. No Whipple CARB going thru at the moment, Shelby can't even get it done for the Super Snake. Ford's DEEP into turbo and EcoBoost (hint) and Roush has NEVER worked with Whipple on the Coyote only TVS (except I guess on the Raptor but that's post-title), not that Jack had anything to do with the current SVT line. Is it possible? Sure.... but it wouldn't make sense or jibe with the current push. If this car is also going to be a "World" car, think about it. Just sayin'.... IMHO.

I knew that Ford would not put a Whipple on a factory car as well.

Archived