TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Words Out 2016 Ford Mustang Svt 700 Hp Gt350 With Whipple Supercharger

All the rumors and speculation just add to the future mystic of what the next Shelby GT350/500, SVT Cobra, or whatever will be. It's hard to imagine a future street vehicle with more than 662 hp but at one time we thought it was impossible to have a 500 hp daily driver (LOL). Now that 662 hp monster is my daily driver and knocking down 17+ mpg in my everyday driving.

A few years ago at a Carlisle All-Ford Show shortly after the introduction of the new 5.0 motor I was talking to a Ford engineer. He was telling me how they had done the twin turbo eco-boost on a test stand 5.0 and hit 800 hp. He said of course you'll won't be seeing that on the street but we can do it. I can't wait to see road test start showing up in the car magazines of the new base line Mustangs with the eco-boost 4 cylinder, the 3.7 with 305 hp, and 5.0 with 420 hp. I see a very bring future for the Mustang and the future "Halo" Mustangs.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow ! I don't ever remember talking of 750 HP. My last post mentions 575 from Ford with a SAI upgrade to 700. Why such hostility.

Yeah, I read his post and went......HUH???

But then I always remind myself that the only tone and/or inflection you (I) read in a post is what *I* inject into it. Read it in monotone and it calms it way down.

But again, where did the 750 HP attribution come from?

Phill

I was offered a 700+HP upgrade on my GT350 delivered about 9 months ago by SAI. They said it could be easily added as I had the 624 Whipple, but it would not pass emissions in several states, but would in mine. They are already out there.

I thought that was a 675HP upgrade, not a 700. I have yet to see a 700HP Coyote or Roadrunner come out of any of the upfitters (Shelby, Roush, etc.), only as a kit from Whipple.

Phill

I predict that the SVT model will still be the GT350, probably launched in 2016 at the earliest. It will feature a 5.0 twin-turbo EcoBoost based on a variant of the Roadrunner (with forged internals) engine making around 600hp and a modest boost level.

I agree with most of that statement/logic EXCEPT....The 600HP mark.

I can't see Ford going backwards on their HP number. With the 662HP GT500 already out there I think Ford will need to top it and make it 675HP or something like that. I was actually surprised to see Ford advertise the 662 number because you just typically don't see numbers like that as opposed to rounded off (660HP for instance).

Hell, all they'd need to do to 'top' it is make it 665HP though.

A turbo would also allow the forced induction motor in the low hoodline that Ford is taking about with the new body on the Mustang. A blower probably sits too high on top of the engine. Hmm, another thought just popped into my head. They could turbo a 5.8L engine and continue to use the Romeo SVT 5.8 in a Mustang which would go right along with the prevailing thought about Ford ditching the 5.8L after only two years. It just doesn't make business sense to put all of that money in to R&D AND production for a 2-year run of those engines. I just can't see Ford wasting all of that money only to ditch the 5.8.

Twin turbos would allow them to continue the 5.8 in the Mustang.

Just a thought,

Phill

Well, 700HP is what Jeremy said I could get for just a few more bucks and another month…... As far as going back in the HP numbers, we Corvette fans couldn't believe the C7 would not include a high HP variant when started, since the 638 HP ZR1 was out there. Well, the first C7s were only 460 HP, and now a Z06 is almost out with about 625 HP but with a few more lb./ft. of torque than the ZR1. So this is just typical marketing gimmicks the car people do. As HyperStangs mentioned, they want this to last a while, dribble out the upgrades and keep people wanting more over the next decade. They will go back in HP, but in a few years you will forget about it.

When we discuss horsepower numbers going backward on the 2015 Mustang platform, let's remember these aspects: Car is lighter(horsepower to weight ratio), and independent rear suspension ( putting the power to the ground better in overall driving conditions). Thus lending itself well to the new SAI "SooperCobra" upgrade. 700 HP after Shelby get's a hold of it would be close to supercar potential!

When we discuss horsepower numbers going backward on the 2015 Mustang platform, let's remember these aspects: Car is lighter(horsepower to weight ratio), and independent rear suspension ( putting the power to the ground better in overall driving conditions). Thus lending itself well to the new SAI "Cobra" upgrade. 700 HP after Shelby get's a hold of it would be close to supercar potential!

I have to agree with you on this, they most certainly will not put all the ponies in the first iteration. The aftermarket still represents a significant amount of FREE R&D and it will be interesting to see where the IRS takes us. I can already see a market for upgraded half-shafts just like the Termi's and improved rear-ends are sure to come. Since the engine has already been confirmed as a Coyote variant (at least design wise) I'm sure the niche line will be upping the performance, but I don't think more than 600 or 5.0 liters are in the "near" future, leaving plenty of room to ramp until 2023 or thereabouts.

Ford is already producing a crate coyote with +500hp naturally aspirated and we have seen Ford working on a TVS Coyote so the possibilities are wide open. However I recall reading an article somewhere that a Ford rep was quoted off the record stating that Ford had no intention of besting the 13-14 GT500 for the exact reason mentioned above; a lighter more nimble platform.

I too will wait impatiently.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2014/03/18/ford-racing-2015-mustang-supercharger-system-preview/

I personally don't see Ford putting out a 700hp car under the name of Shelby, or even "cobra." That is not to say that Shelby America or another aftermarket tuner will not "offer" an upgrade to a 2016 model Ford Shelby GT350, or whatever model will be produced. I could be entirely wrong, but I just don't see it. IMO the Trinity motors will be the highest horsepower/torque produced in a mustang directly from the Ford factory in a long while.

............ A blower probably sits too high on top of the engine. Hmm, another thought just popped into my head. They could turbo a 5.8L engine and continue to use the Romeo SVT 5.8 in a Mustang which would go right along with the prevailing thought about Ford ditching the 5.8L after only two years. It just doesn't make business sense to put all of that money in to R&D AND production for a 2-year run of those engines. I just can't see Ford wasting all of that money only to ditch the 5.8.

Twin turbos would allow them to continue the 5.8 in the Mustang.

Just a thought,

Phill

I thought I had read that the 5.8 was too big (tall?) for the new platform (i.e. 2015 and up).

Also seem to recall something about a 5.0 punched out in the 6 liter region producing 550 N/A hp and going with a new style camshaft allowing 8000 plus rpms. . If I was dreaming, it was a nice dream. :cool:

I thought I had read that the 5.8 was too big (tall?) for the new platform (i.e. 2015 and up).

I"ve heard that too. Not from anyone official, just Internet rumor.

But after looking closely at the new Mustang, sitting right along side a GT500, it looks to me like it would fit right in. At least without a blower sitting on top of it.

Aren't the "Modular" motors all the same physical size on the outside? I mean, other than the 3v head vs. the 4v head (wider).

Phill

I"ve heard that too. Not from anyone official, just Internet rumor.

But after looking closely at the new Mustang, sitting right along side a GT500, it looks to me like it would fit right in. At least without a blower sitting on top of it.

Aren't the "Modular" motors all the same physical size on the outside? I mean, other than the 3v head vs. the 4v head (wider).

Phill

Thought the 5.4/5.8 were taller. Originally it was thought the 5.0 wouldn't fit with a supercharger on top either. Leave it to the aftermarket to find a way. Although I'm amazed at the nice gas mileage I've gotten in my last two GT-500's, a turbo would give the hp and mpg the boosts a new GT350/500 would need.

The 5.4 looks to be gone as well. Ford announced they are putting the twin turbo EcoBoost 3.5l in the 15 Expedition/ Navigator. We are talking about moving 2 tons of metal with a V6!. I think this will be the performance motor going forward. Ford will use the information they got from the Rolex EcoBoost GT car's and apply that to the 16 GT350. With the lighter weight, IRS, I think the 600hp is more realistic. As long as it beats a comparable Camaro, Ford will be happy. SA's Cobra will be north of 700hp. Either way , looks like the Mustang will still be the one to own.

Thought the 5.4/5.8 were taller. Originally it was thought the 5.0 wouldn't fit with a supercharger on top either. Leave it to the aftermarket to find a way. Although I'm amazed at the nice gas mileage I've gotten in my last two GT-500's, a turbo would give the hp and mpg the boosts a new GT350/500 would need.

Gee, I was doing cart wheels getting 21mpg in the 07 gt500 driving back n forth from Pa to the 50th in Charlotte. Big improvement over the 70 Mach getting 12 with a tail wind !!!

Dang, Chris, if you got 12 mpg you must have been driving 55 mph and I'm like Sammy Hager when it come to that : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvV3nn_de2k&feature=kp

My old '70 428 SCJ with 4.30 gears got 9/10 at 55 mph back in the day. Got 23 mpg running 75+ coming back from Charlotte in the '14. :cool:

Dang, Chris, if you got 12 mpg you must have been driving 55 mph and I'm like Sammy Hager when it come to that : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvV3nn_de2k&feature=kp

Nah, definetly not 55, 3:89's aren't as punishing on the Highway @ 70mph.....(but a Tailwind is always welcome to help the Ground Speed !!)

My old '70 428 SCJ with 4.30 gears got 9/10 at 55 mph back in the day. Got 23 mpg running 75+ coming back from Charlotte in the '14. :cool:

With gas prices sky rocketing the way they are recently, driving that '70 428 of yours would break my bank after a weekend cruise to the beach!

Mustang6G.com confirms 2016 SVT GT350 just as I've been told.

Yeah, they get their info from Google.

• 3 weeks later...

Check out July MotorTrend cover. 2016 Ford Mustang GT350. My guess is SAI will be taking Cobra upgrade orders sometime in January 2015.

Right, sure, to quote the article: "Details (on any SVT GT350) at this point are scarce, but we think….." In other words they know nothing new other than some rumors from months ago we want to regurgitate and offer some photoshopped artist conceptions to sell some mags. Come back when there is solid, corporate information with details.

Right, sure, to quote the article: "Details (on any SVT GT350) at this point are scarce, but we think….." In other words they know nothing new other than some rumors from months ago we want to regurgitate and offer some photoshopped artist conceptions to sell some mags. Come back when there is solid, corporate information with details.

I'm back !

Right, sure, to quote the article: "Details (on any SVT GT350) at this point are scarce, but we think….." In other words they know nothing <snip>

After badly hurting my back in 1990 I finished up my Auto Tech career as a Auto Tech Instructor. When I asked a student a question and they answered with "I think..." I'd always stop them and say, "If you say 'I THINK' it *really* means you don't KNOW."

I wanted my students to KNOW the answer, not to THINK they know the answer.

So yes, I agree wholeheartedly with you where you quote the MT source as saying "but we think...."

I did however take some liberty in editing to end your statement of "they know nothing NEW" to say, they know NOTHING. Because even the 'old' stuff they 'know' is pure speculation and conjuncture.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, "Only Time Will Tell".

Phill

After badly hurting my back in 1990 I finished up my Auto Tech career as a Auto Tech Instructor. When I asked a student a question and they answered with "I think..." I'd always stop them and say, "If you say 'I THINK' it *really* means you don't KNOW."

I wanted my students to KNOW the answer, not to THINK they know the answer.

So yes, I agree wholeheartedly with you where you quote the MT source as saying "but we think...."

I did however take some liberty in editing to end your statement of "they know nothing NEW" to say, they know NOTHING. Because even the 'old' stuff they 'know' is pure speculation and conjuncture.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, "Only Time Will Tell".

Phill

When mentoring my employees, I always let them know what I "think" rather than give them the sure answer to solving a problem. This allows them to reason out and take ownership in their own conclusion, and let's them learn and take accountability for their decisions. See, it works both ways. Articles are written to stimulate the mind provoke one's thinking for themselves !

I made the mistake of discussing the 2013 GT500 specs before it was released and got some mighty unfriendly phone calls.

I swore I would never discuss anything that could even be thought to be secret. But the biggest thing I learned from that fiasco was that usually, the people talking up rumors don't have any credible information. Because if they did, they would be hearing about it.

It took less than 2 hours for me to get my bottom RIPPED. If you look in the gt500 section. You will find a post from me in aug 2011 during Dearborn team Shelby event. I wasn't there, but knew most the specs on the new 500. I was in contact with a few attendees and misunderstood that they announced it and excitedly leaked it here. Big mistake. If you look in the 13-14 section on the last page, you will see a thread title "what happened to the last topic?" Hahaha, I just went to the moderator section and found my old thread. It was a hot topic! I basically ended up issuing a public apology and stating I was wrong. But I preferred taking a reputation hit and keeping blue happy. 5 months early, but my info was correct. Lol

Cmcmotorguy- if you do have an insider with information, you will ruin his career. If you don't, you run the chance of ruining your rep here. So I don't see much upside to this thread.

If its all speculation, then it's perfectly safe to say it, and its all in fun. That's the only way I would want to do it.

All that said- that would be one hell of a mustang!

A few think the 5.8 will be back. I am friends with the Romeo line builders on Facebook. If they start building 5.8s again, I'll let yall know. That won't be a secret. I doubt it though. The 5.8 is done.

I made the mistake of discussing the 2013 GT500 specs before it was released and got some mighty unfriendly phone calls.

I swore I would never discuss anything that could even be thought to be secret. But the biggest thing I learned from that fiasco was that usually, the people talking up rumors don't have any credible information. Because if they did, they would be hearing about it.

It took less than 2 hours for me to get my bottom RIPPED. If you look in the gt500 section. You will find a post from me in aug 2011 during Dearborn team Shelby event. I wasn't there, but knew most the specs on the new 500. I was in contact with a few attendees and misunderstood that they announced it and excitedly leaked it here. Big mistake. If you look in the 13-14 section on the last page, you will see a thread title "what happened to the last topic?" Hahaha, I just went to the moderator section and found my old thread. It was a hot topic! I basically ended up issuing a public apology and stating I was wrong. But I preferred taking a reputation hit and keeping blue happy. 5 months early, but my info was correct. Lol

Cmcmotorguy- if you do have an insider with information, you will ruin his career. If you don't, you run the chance of ruining your rep here. So I don't see much upside to this thread.

If its all speculation, then it's perfectly safe to say it, and its all in fun. That's the only way I would want to do it.

A few think the 5.8 will be back. I am friends with the Romeo line builders on Facebook. If they start building 5.8s again, I'll let yall know. That won't be a secret. I doubt it though. The 5.8 is done.

You're right. The 5.8 won't fit between the strut towers of the new stang.

Yeah, it's speculation and rumor for the moment. The 2016 year should be a great one for the new "halo" car. I had heard and read all the rumors about the GT-500 ending production in 2014 and I wanted one. As I've said before, I remember the 69/70 GT-500's and Boss 429's coming to an end although I couldn't believe it at the time we thought something bigger/better would come along. The 1971 429 SCJ Mach 1's seemed to relieve a little of the pain of losing the big block Mustangs but by '72 it was gone and by '74 so was the V-8 Mustang (for a year anyways). Even when the V-8 returned it was the 302-2V with 139 hp.

The new Mustang is going to be quick, light, and highly technical. It's going to be a great car that the world will enjoy with it's smaller but higher powered motors that return good economy too. I'm really interested to see what Ford (and the aftermarket) does to spice up a fairly plain looking Mustang for now. At the 50th Show in Charlotte, I ran into John Clor of Ford Racing and told him I had gotten a 2014 Shelby GT-500. He frowned, scolding me and said I should have waited on the new body style (LOL). However I'm a little older than John and wanted that "1969/70 feeling" I missed out on 45 years ago. I'm happy but I do think the new package will be a nice one too. :cool:

Archived