TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Removing The Faux Gas Cap.....

Sorry! I know this is an old topic.... Just getting around to replacing my faux gas cap with the FRPP piece w/Tiffany snake to match my new wheel centers. I looked through some old posts and I have a couple of questions. If my cap has the nuts/clips on the two studs does that mean it can't be removed. I tried looking and I could not see up in there to determine if the clips were there or not? I know the FRPP cap has the clips. Did anyone have a Tiffany snake center emblem made to go over the GT center emblem?

THANKS for any info!!!!

Mark

I'm not sure about replacing the entire faux gas gap, but several years back there was a insert made that covered over the "GT" on the gas gap. It was called the "Berg" faux gas cap and it had a different version of the Tiffany Snake which was unique to the Shelby GT. It won't match the Tiffany snake on your wheels, but you can learn more about it here.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/29774-shelby-gt-berg-faux-gas-cap/?hl=berg

I installed it on on my SGT at the time and it still looks great. A big improvment over the "GT" cap!

-yellow pony

No need to apologize. I finally got the Berg Shelby GT center emblem for hers this past December. I didn't put it on yet due to the cold temps outside. I plan on just sticking it in place and that is it.

Dooogs - Thanks for those instructions and pics! :worship:

• 4 weeks later...

No need to apologize. I finally got the Berg Shelby GT center emblem for hers this past December. I didn't put it on yet due to the cold temps outside. I plan on just sticking it in place and that is it.

Dooogs - Thanks for those instructions and pics! :worship:

Mikey,

Do you still have the instructions? Can you email them to me...going to replace mine this weekend.

Thanks

Mikey,

Do you still have the instructions? Can you email them to me...going to replace mine this weekend.

Thanks

Here ya go Jim, I found them in the NTT... :salute:

okay Mikey let's hope this works.....

attachicon.gif001.JPG

first I taped the shipping docment to the cap using the "SHELBY GT" as a guide.

attachicon.gif002.JPG

then I taped the cap (do not remove the protective cover from the 2 sided tape yet) with the document to the existing cover using the long bottom edge of the document as a guide to insure I was straight with the bumper.

attachicon.gif003.JPG

then I cut the tape so I could use it later as a guide. Once the tape is cut, remove the faux cap and take the protective cover off the tape. Now you can align it using the pieces of tape on the faux cap with the pieces on the cover and press firmly.

attachicon.gif004.JPG

remove the tape and wala..... finished product.

I even went so far as to run a strip of clear silicon around the inside edge of the faux cap, on the back side between the tape and the outside edge to prevent water from getting to the tape once it was installed. This was a little overkill on my part.... can you say OCD!

Archived