TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Csx 7000 Fia 50Th Anniversary Cobra On Order

mikeljgt500kr

I'll try the ziplock, and put some more miles on it. If it does't stop will try the Steeda, and maybe the 70/140 oil.

Think I'll call Kirkham too, in case they have a tip.

David Kirkham (President/CEO of KMS) frequents the club cobra web forums. He's very available to answer questions there.

clubcobra.com

Phill

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're going to get a lot more Cobra knowledge on clubcobra.com than here. This site has a few Cobra enthusiasts but mostly this place is about the modern Mustangs. clubcobra.com is dedicated to Cobras of all kiinds (although they tend not to be very positive when it comes to talking about Shelby's)

I am a member of ClubCobra and have been for a couple of years, and have discussed this in a couple of thread there, Mr. Kirkham never said a word.

Did you "Call Him"? Or how about go to the KMS area?

I've had a few discussions with him. Most recently about the "New" 427 S/C's Shelby is making. Oh, and the 50th anny. 427's that are being made.

He confirmed my information, that the ("Continuation") Cobras Shelby American sells today are just rebadged Kirkham's built to KMS specs (not SA spec like someone else thought).

Phill

Did you "Call Him"? Or how about go to the KMS area?

I've had a few discussions with him. Most recently about the "New" 427 S/C's Shelby is making. Oh, and the 50th anny. 427's that are being made.

He confirmed my information, that the ("Continuation") Cobras Shelby American sells today are just rebadged Kirkham's built to KMS specs (not SA spec like someone else thought).

Phill

Partially true. The 50th anniversary 427s are Kirkham built.

The CSX3000 cars are not "just a Kirkham". First some are being built by Drew Serb (being hand rolled aluminum) but a Kirkham "body" will not fit on the old frames so there will be a lot of tweeking necessary to get the standard body panels to fit. Note that his participation in that topic came to a screeching halt. The day I asked a whole bunch of questions of Denbeste. It turns out that David is a supplier and didn't even know about Serbs cars :) As such he probably had disclosed info he shouldn't have.

I'm pretty sure Kirham had nothing to do with my 50th Anniv. FIA Cobra, since it is not an aluminum body, and DenBeste was my dealer/builder. My builder did "ask" Kirkham about his diff spitting oil, which my builder said is very common with Kirkham diffs he has installed over the last few years. He was told to "just keep driving it, it will go away before long…". I tried that but after 400 miles I gave up and put the catch can on it, problem now solved, I think.

I'm pretty sure Kirham had nothing to do with my 50th Anniv. FIA Cobra, since it is not an aluminum body, and DenBeste was my dealer/builder. My builder did "ask" Kirkham about his diff spitting oil, which my builder said is very common with Kirkham diffs he has installed over the last few years. He was told to "just keep driving it, it will go away before long…". I tried that but after 400 miles I gave up and put the catch can on it, problem now solved, I think.

Kirkham is only involved in the alloy 50th anniversary 427s.

I spoke with Kirkham Motorsports today, and they are sending pictures, instructions and parts, to relocate the breather and hose from the overflow elbow to a diff oil cooler plug. I'll make sure to give you more detail when I receive it. I guess this has worked out with others builds.

If yours is like mine, that oil cooler plug is on top of the diff, and requires the diff to be dropped to get to it. Another person talked about that on the ClubCobra forum, not sure I wanted to go to all that expense, not something I am qualified to do myself.

I inquired about that, and supposedly the change can be made easily by myself. They said that, putting the car on a lift would make it easier.

In talking with my installer, he confirmed that the oil cooler plugs( he thinks they are referring to) are very accessible!

On the bottom of mine there is drain plug, and nearby there is another plug. On the top of the part of the diff that tapers downward towards the front of the car, I think that I can feel a square hole that I assume is another plug. Although if I try to get a picture of it with my iPhone I keep missing it.

I haven't had the car on a lift yet, so I have to squeeze underneath the car.

Here is pic of the top of my differential, about 5" from the drive shaft towards the diff cover. I was told that attaching a braided hose here and running it up to the inside of the trunk to a Willitt catch can, should take care of the issue. The elbow on the diff cover gets plugged.

So if you have anymore problems, this should work, if you have a plug there.

post-9153-0-35852700-1437442753_thumb.jpg

Wow! If you can actually get a camera or cell phone camera up there to take the picture, you have way more room than I do. When I get home I will attempt to reach up there with my hand and feel around, and I will post a picture of how mine looks from as far up as I can.

OK, I am back from the Corvette National judging now. I really don't know how much oil I got, as the arrangement of the catch can allows for the oil to drain back into the diff, but the filter was not wet. The can holds maybe 4 oz.

I could not get a good picture, but yes there is a 1 1/2" or so plug/nipple up there with a black plastic cap on it, and what looks like a small silver ball on the side. And I could possibly get a wrench on it to remove and install a hose, but I am curious about the cap, I guess it is what comes off and you screw the hose onto the nipple that is in the plug. But I'm not sure what to make of that small silver ball on the side of the cap. Maybe a pressure device?

Have driven the car twice since Wednesday and things are looking good. Oil is not even reaching the overflow can. And the outside air temp was in the 90's. We drained the old fluid and added new fluid to 1" below the fill hole. Hopefully things are good to go now.

• 4 weeks later...

OK SGT, I drove mine around numerous times and saw no oil spiting, but all we short, less than 20 mile trips. The other day I drove it for about 40 miles and when I returned home, it had spit some oil out of the breather, not too much, but enough to mess up the inside of the wheel well. So, who did you talk to at Kirkham about moving the breather tube to the top? Thanks, guess I better switch mine too.

Archived