TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Csx 7000 Fia 50Th Anniversary Cobra On Order

mikeljgt500kr

I will start a thread for my saga of this. Having waited 10 months for my 2013 GT350, I approach it with a bit of trepidation, and know the problems with any SAI build these days. From all the stories, many of which are bad (some amazingly so), posted in this section, I know to expect problems. This is not like ordering a 2014 GT500, a new C7 'Vette, or even a new Viper, this is like hand to hand combat with the builders and vendors. But I am patient and approach it with the sober expectations that it may take 12-18 months to see anything in my driveway.

The facts as I know them today: Deposit down, DenBeste used as dealer, Shelby Engines used for drivetrain. A picture of my thoughts for an engine attached, the Shelby Engines 289 331 engine, with Webers, real ones. Still looking at options and trying to understand what they are. So stay tuned for a long process….

post-39072-0-31910800-1390527152_thumb.jpg

post-39072-0-31910800-1390527152_thumb.jpg

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great choice! That engine looks killer, and I think you will love it. Now you get to agonize over color choice. Going with a 4 speed? I'm guessing you have plenty of long trip type cars and a Cobra is not typically known for it's touring capabilities. For that reason, I would stick with period correctness and put in a toploader. They are loads of fun and easy to operate.

Thanks Troy, but color is set for the 50th, all Viking Blue, you do get a color choice for the across the nose stripe. But none of the research I have done shows any connection to a driver for those colors, seems they were just colored to match a crew chief and crew in the pits. I would like to do Dan Gurney, he was my fav racer of the day. Maybe someone knows his usual color? The tranny I am thinking of is a 5 speed Tremec short throw, very nice in the prototype they had.

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/1401-shelby-american-50th-anniversary-289-fia-cobra/

I will start a thread for my saga of this. Having waited 10 months for my 2013 GT350, I approach it with a bit of trepidation, and know the problems with any SAI build these days. From all the stories, many of which are bad (some amazingly so), posted in this section, I know to expect problems. This is not like ordering a 2014 GT500, a new C7 'Vette, or even a new Viper, this is like hand to hand combat with the builders and vendors. But I am patient and approach it with the sober expectations that it may take 12-18 months to see anything in my driveway.

The facts as I know them today: Deposit down, DenBeste used as dealer, Shelby Engines used for drivetrain. A picture of my thoughts for an engine attached, the Shelby Engines 289 331 engine, with Webers, real ones. Still looking at options and trying to understand what they are. So stay tuned for a long process….

Exciting time Mike, and congratulations.

I'm friends and live close to DenBeste, they're good people up there in Windsor.

Can't wait to follow along the build thread

Wow! Thanks Zman, that is the kind of info I was searching for, what stripe colors went with which cars/drivers/numbers. I was also looking at orange. Where can you find the info on this? Anyway, one for Bob would be neat, he and Sterling Moss are our "celebrity" judges at our local car show each September, the Santa Fe Concorso. That might give me an edge in judging for it in 2015…... :)

Wow! Thanks Zman, that is the kind of info I was searching for, what stripe colors went with which cars/drivers/numbers. I was also looking at orange. Where can you find the info on this? Anyway, one for Bob would be neat, he and Sterling Moss are our "celebrity" judges at our local car show each September, the Santa Fe Concorso. That might give me an edge in judging for it in 2015…... :)

I found my information in a book titled "Shelby Cobra - The Shelby American Original Archives 1962-1965". It contains many photos taken by Dave Friedman. I got it at least 20 years ago when I made my first donation to the Shelby Heart Fund. Mr. Shelby even personally signed the title page for me, as well as a few Heart Fund stickers (just like the one in my avatar.

In any case, I took a look at the book to see what other stripe colors I could find. For the 12 hours of Sebring (1964), it shows Phil Hill and Jo Schlesser driving the #14 car with a yellow stripe. Dan Gurney was in #11, with a white stripe (co-driver was Bob Johnson) . Ken Miles and John Morton drove car #1, with no stripe.

Z-man

Hah, Scandinavian rivalry. I think that when I first read the body color was called Viking Blue, the yellow stripe just seemed to make sense. And I like the look.

Not sure the best way to go on other options. For lack of a better place to start, I was told that the original cars were 4 speeds, but that a 5 speed is like having overdrive, and makes driving more enjoyable. Also, that some Cobra owners will buy a five speed, and put a 4 speed knob on the shifter for appearance.

Wonder what the discriminating Cobra owners recommend.

A TKO600 will give you a five speed with a highway 5th gear (I think there are two options for 5th). I had one in mine and had no desire to change it. I got 18-19 MPG on the highway at 75-85 with it. The Ford GT gets about that in 6th. Both of my "supercars" get better mileage under almost all circumstances than my Dodge pickup.

Archived