TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Spring Fever Cruisin The Smokies To Charlotte

stngfever

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got the GT-500 back from the shop, things are looking good for me being able to join.....

Frank

Will be great seeing you Frank and I am sure I am speaking for everyone. Hopefully you can stay for entire trip... 4/13 to 4/21

Trying to figure out if I can make it this year - currently in negotiations with the "boss"!

Sam

Negotiations?? Forgiveness vs. permission is all I'll say about that :whistling:

As for the current temps in Florida, don't make me come down their and bring this arctic weather with me :twister:

Frank, glad to hear it's still a go! Jean joining you again this year?

I keep looking at the calendar to see if it's April yet :drop:

Negotiations?? Forgiveness vs. permission is all I'll say about that :whistling:

As for the current temps in Florida, don't make me come down their and bring this arctic weather with me :twister:

Frank, glad to hear it's still a go! Jean joining you again this year?

I keep looking at the calendar to see if it's April yet :drop:

Jean is a TBD, it's a lot of time away from work.......but you KNOW she wants to go!

67 and sunny here in Charlotte yesterday. Today we get snow! Oh no! Everybody rush to the grocery store! There is a raid on milk and bread!

What a crazy winter we are having. Can't wait for SPRING!

Trying to figure out if I can make it this year - currently in negotiations with the "boss"!

Sam

Sam, I sure hope you can make it. Traveling with this group is something you will remember this rest of your life, and besides that, great opportunity to promote the Devil Bunny t-shirt.

I am not sure here near Chicago we will ever see 80. We did get above 0 today.

The County sent everyone home early yesterday and the schools are closed today. I saw snow yesterday for the 3rd time in 40 years here in Florida. Where about the Chicago area are you from? I spent my growing up years in Lake Forest and left in 1969 after getting married

Sam, I sure hope you can make it. Traveling with this group is something you will remember this rest of your life, and besides that, great opportunity to promote the Devil Bunny t-shirt.

The County sent everyone home early yesterday and the schools are closed today. I saw snow yesterday for the 3rd time in 40 years here in Florida. Where about the Chicago area are you from? I spent my growing up years in Lake Forest and left in 1969 after getting married

Oswego, near Aurora

Looking forward to the trip. The 50th site has opened up registration for the welcome party on Wednesday evening and the 50th birthday dinner on Thursday. Cliff, his son, Ford and I have all signed up for these two evenings. Looking forward to hanging out with everyone.

The weather is crazy! I drove 4 crocodiles down to the Florida border a week ago and it was 35 degrees on the Georgia/Florida border north of Jacksonville. Seems most of the country is cold right now. I actually stayed over in Charlotte on my way back to Michigan. It was cold, but at least there wasn't any snow, though it sounds like Charlotte got hit right after I left. My friends had mentioned that they normally had at least one snowfall by that time.

Had a break in the cold weather today in NC. I decided to take advantage of this rare opportunity in February, fired up the GT500, and took her out through the country roads South of my house. Absolutely had a blast as she ate up 80 miles of hard core spirited driving around the rolling countryside. Drove out of my neighborhood, got a few miles away from civilization, and opened her up. Come along for the ride:

The sky is blue and the air is crisp. The sun shines and glistens off the occasional patches of wet pavement which have yet to evaporate since this mornings rain. It's 67 degrees and the supercharged 5.4 liter is pulling hard in every gear the entire drive. Michelin tires gripping the road off the line and the car is on rails in the corners. Nothing but miles and miles of winding tarmac that moves with the land. Drove through one of my favorite sections which drops down over 100 feet as the corner becomes a hard increasing radius right turn and shoots out into a perfectly banked left hand 90 degree which steeply inclines and opens up onto a long straight away allowing the Shelby to take in huge gulps of fresh air as it passed 80 mph in 3rd gear... shift into 4th and hit the throttle briefly noticing the speedo passing 100 mph before setting up for the next corner. Hard on the brakes, blip the throttle and downshift to 3rd and quickly into 2nd... ease off the brakes, turn in, and let the suspension go to work while she tracks smartly through the corner and accelerate perfectly out of the apex to the next series of esses. My senses are heightened and situational awareness is on high alert. Passing horse farms, the stallions are jealous. I can see it in their eyes... they want to run free today, too. I can instantly feel every driver input as the Shelby reacts in harmony. I feel as if Carroll Shelby himself is with me and we are laughing and enjoying every minute as this wonderful and amazing car provides what feels like an unlimited experience of man and machine.

Made it back to the house and had just enough time to wipe the car down and reflect upon the day's journey before the family got home and the daily routine of dinner time chaos resumed. But in that special hour and twenty minutes behind the wheel, nothing else mattered. Just me, my Shelby, and the perfect day to take her out for a spin. April will be here soon. Gentlemen: Start your engines!

Had a break in the cold weather today in NC. I decided to take advantage of this rare opportunity in February, fired up the GT500, and took her out through the country roads South of my house. Absolutely had a blast as she ate up 80 miles of hard core spirited driving around the rolling countryside. Drove out of my neighborhood, got a few miles away from civilization, and opened her up. Come along for the ride:

The sky is blue and the air is crisp. The sun shines and glistens off the occasional patches of wet pavement which have yet to evaporate since this mornings rain. It's 67 degrees and the supercharged 5.4 liter is pulling hard in every gear the entire drive. Michelin tires gripping the road off the line and the car is on rails in the corners. Nothing but miles and miles of winding tarmac that moves with the land. Drove through one of my favorite sections which drops down over 100 feet as the corner becomes a hard increasing radius right turn and shoots out into a perfectly banked left hand 90 degree which steeply inclines and opens up onto a long straight away allowing the Shelby to take in huge gulps of fresh air as it passed 80 mph in 3rd gear... shift into 4th and hit the throttle briefly noticing the speedo passing 100 mph before setting up for the next corner. Hard on the brakes, blip the throttle and downshift to 3rd and quickly into 2nd... ease off the brakes, turn in, and let the suspension go to work while she tracks smartly through the corner and accelerate perfectly out of the apex to the next series of esses. My senses are heightened and situational awareness is on high alert. Passing horse farms, the stallions are jealous. I can see it in their eyes... they want to run free today, too. I can instantly feel every driver input as the Shelby reacts in harmony. I feel as if Carroll Shelby himself is with me and we are laughing and enjoying every minute as this wonderful and amazing car provides what feels like an unlimited experience of man and machine.

Made it back to the house and had just enough time to wipe the car down and reflect upon the day's journey before the family got home and the daily routine of dinner time chaos resumed. But in that special hour and twenty minutes behind the wheel, nothing else mattered. Just me, my Shelby, and the perfect day to take her out for a spin. April will be here soon. Gentlemen: Start your engines!

Thanks for the ride! :rockon:

Read this last night on my cell phone right before bed. Had a fantastic night sleep and must have been because of a great dream that I was out in the Shelby cruising around on a beutiful spring day.

Please do more right ups late at night for us all. We like going to bed with dreams of shelby's instead of sugar plums in our heads.

TWO MONTHS AWAY.........

Oh and the spring mods are starting (have already installed some in past week and many will be rolling in within next two weeks). List is huge.

My new MGW shifter is supposed to arrive on the 6th and the fun begins. YEA

:lurk:

This looks like a blast. I can not make the MCA 50th, but... I might be able to cruise down on Sunday and head back home Wednesday morning.

Gator

Have seen many posts from you and I just love the picture of your car. Hope you can join us. Cliff

Archived