TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Goodbye (For Now) - Off To Zl1 Country

eric_gt500

To my Shelby friends - saying "good bye" for now as I've decided to trade in my '08 Vert on a new ZL1 Vert :ohsnap:

It's been a great nearly 5 years with the car and meeting many members around Detroit, at Woodward, and in Ontario.

I may re-join the party in a few years after seeing what life will be like over on the "dark side".

Attached is a pic of the new ride (not mine specifically, but the same color, wheels, etc).

2013-Chevrolet-Camaro-ZL1-Convertible_front.jpg

2013-Chevrolet-Camaro-ZL1-Convertible_front.jpg

I think the gen 5 Camaros are hideous. But that's just me. The funny thing is my daily driver is a 1997 Camaro SS with the 30th Anniversary package and six-speed (1 of 310). I also own a 1987 20th Anniversary Commemorative Edition Z28 convertible that's even rarer (only 3 in existence). I'm the original owner of my 2008 GT500 purchased Nov 2007 and it is mine for life. I plan on giving it to my daughter when I'm no longer among us. It is the car I taught her how to drive in. My '87 convertible is the car I brought my daughter home from the hospital when she was born.

Wow... that is really YEEEELLLLLLLOOOOOWWWW. Probably looks better in person. Better have your sunglasses with you when you walk up to look at your new car. Congrats!

Hey Guys - appreciate all the comments and, yes, I may definitely be back. Honestly, I was just ready to try something different and two non-daily-driver cars was a bit too much for the 'ol budget (plus it was a leftover '13 Vert headed into winter so you can guess the dealer was pretty aggressive - I KNOW - Shelby's aren't having any "leftover" issues). I guess some guy in Vegas who specializes in Mustangs and other "high-end" cars is buying it from the dealer. Nonetheless, I'll post up differences when I actually get some time to drive it which may be a while here in Michigan.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you got a great deal on your trade-in. Your list of mods on your 500 was impressive. Your 20" Alcoas and signed air bag cover were worth quite a bit. I'll be interested in how happy you are with the Camaro. GL

Congrats!!! I personally think the car you traded in (I am assuming it is the one in your Signature) is much nicer, but that is just my opinion.

I am also curious what your thoughts are after some miles, I still do not think I would buy the Camaro, the new Tail-lights make the back end look like a Malibu and I just can not get into the interior, but maybe the driving experience makes up for it.

What matters is you are Happy!!!!!! Have to scratch that itch once in a while, I have been there.

Appreciate all the comments and feedback.... With the ZL1 in storage until spring, I'll have to wait to draw more comparisons between the two. The Shelby will certainly be missed (my 11 year old hugged it on the last day) but, as I mentioned, just wanted to sample something different for a few years. It is great that we enthusiasts have such cars to choose from in this era of increasing regulation and CAFE standards (and they are being developed here in my backyard - go Team USA).

For those who may be interested, my old car is apparently for sale at the dealer (I thought they has sold it to somebody in Vegas). Based on what I got for trade-in (against a significantly discounted new car), this seems like a terrific bargain!! If anybody does reach out to the dealer, ask for Erik Hibbard (nice guy). I've got nothing to gain but I know my old car and hope it finds a good new home.... I'll probably also post in the classified section as a courtesy....

http://www.autofind.com/dealer/details/1908/1ZVHT89S285143668/

Not sure what the sale price is but even the listed price seems to be a bargain (it's as if they've not considered any of the upgrades). I probably had another ~$20K in it... plus it has the real Shelby signature on the glovebox and VIN plaque (and that's not easy to come by now :shrug:) - plus the discontinued forged Alcoa's

• 3 weeks later...

Keeping the Shelby in the Great Lakes Region. Thanks for keeping the car in great condition. Hope you don't mind, but I copoed most of your signature also. :cool:

Bill - glad we connected and talk soon. Enjoy the car - I sure did for the nearly 5 years I owned it!

Archived