TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brake duct kit for SGT

Drendi

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Design is done.

Still investigating tooling options - it's a tough one, as the product has a limited market (SGT/CS owners only). I have to make it at a cost I can justify. THAT is the holdup.

It's driving me nuts, because the new redesign is STELLAR, if I do say so myself (not to rub it in).

Jer

Time to reveal this "stellar" design. I almost ordered some jlt brake cooling bezels and the cs8 grill yesterday, so I could remove the shelby

Shelby brake /light combo unit. I'll hold on for a little while longer.

I'll continue to hold out since I got the originals to work after some modifications to the heat exchanger mount and replacing/relocating the power-steering radiator.

I want to do some work on the front-end, but I'd rather wait for the new bezels. With my modifications, it's still a tight squeeze and removing/reinstalling the front fascia will be a PITA!

Sam

Time to reveal this "stellar" design. I almost ordered some jlt brake cooling bezels and the cs8 grill yesterday, so I could remove the shelby

Shelby brake /light combo unit. I'll hold on for a little while longer.

The JLT setup is what I wound up with.... and it is the only setup I could find in the aftermarket to fit behind the Shelby Wilwoods. And the price is right with a nice clean design. Had it the day after I ordered and installed that day in about 30 minutes. If you go that route, you'll be pleased.

• 3 weeks later...

It's killing me.

We have designed a new brake duct and driving light bezel system that STOMPS everything else available, past and present, it's gorgeous, functional, easy to install, a HUGE upgrade from everything else available. PLUS, it meets my criteria that it be "backward compatible" and use the same mounting points and wiring of everything that preceded it. It clears intercoolers, looks amazing, and utilizes LED driving lights, with all mounting hardware gracefully hidden.

The problem is that this is a "limited-appeal" part, it ONLY fits SGTs and California Special fascias, so I need to accept a limited sales base in my sales forecasting.

Amortizing the tooling costs will be VERY difficult. The latest plan involves me spending a king's ransom to get them manufactured, and I will NOT do this if I can't feel secure that they will "earn their way" without being priced out of the fair price range of our customers.

Jer

It's killing me.

We have designed a new brake duct and driving light bezel system that STOMPS everything else available, past and present, it's gorgeous, functional, easy to install, a HUGE upgrade from everything else available. PLUS, it meets my criteria that it be "backward compatible" and use the same mounting points and wiring of everything that preceded it. It clears intercoolers, looks amazing, and utilizes LED driving lights, with all mounting hardware gracefully hidden.

The problem is that this is a "limited-appeal" part, it ONLY fits SGTs and California Special fascias, so I need to accept a limited sales base in my sales forecasting.

Amortizing the tooling costs will be VERY difficult. The latest plan involves me spending a king's ransom to get them manufactured, and I will NOT do this if I can't feel secure that they will "earn their way" without being priced out of the fair price range of our customers.

Jer

Jer,

You are killing me! It sounds like everything I want and think I need yet I can't have it. Its like Jennifer Aniston standing naked in front of me saying come on big boy but my wife is standing right next to her saying I don't think so mister.

I can't wait to see what they look like. I've been wanting these ducts since I bought my SGT. I made my own through the honeycomb that work great, but any part designed by Jer must be better!

Andrew,

It's not even CLOSE to affordable yet.

But I do like your ideas and the enthusiasm behind them.

I'll keep you all in the loop. Now that the company move and new facility setup (if you've seen it, you can imagine the effort that has gone into it), The Bash, and the new Team Shelby management changes are in the rear view mirror, I can get some work done on my "pet projects": The new line of Shelby Clutches, more car-specific apparel and accessories, these bezels, new underhood stuff, a bigger takeoff parts program, and a great new product to be announced shortly.

Oh, yeah… isn't there an entirely new Mustang platform coming?

WHEW!

Jer

I ended up using the kr kit on my car and cutting out the mesh in the lower grill side pieces. Looks stealthy and works well.

I'm still looking forward to the new bezels, as the kr kit still doesn't provide me with a fog option

I have the Agent 47 ducts and love them but would swap out for the right Shelby set-up.

Jer, just curious. What is 'Shelby custom underbody front brake duct inlets and fabricated brake cooling plates'?

They are similar to the kit we use on Super Snakes, just backing plates that duct to "pickup housings" that draw air from under the car. Not optimum, but better than nothing until I can get this NEW kit on my car… and everyone else's...

Jer

I am curious and would be on board to getting this new redesign. My guess is you could sell easily 500 to 1000 sets between all the SGT, Hertz and CS cars that would use this setup.

I suppose with the fog lights and the rest of the kit the price would be higher than most people are expecting but I think people would figure out a way to justify the money if the product was perfect and worked exactly like it is suppose to without any issues of clearance by having a Shelby Intercooler and a Shelby Radiator....which I have both and have extremely limited space.

My guess is you could sell easily 500 to 1000 sets between all the SGT, Hertz and CS cars that would use this setup.

Oh, I think that estimate is WAAAAY high. I'd love to be wrong, I don't have a crystal ball... but based on all previous sales velocity of similar products, that's 5+ YEARS worth of stock, and that's being very optimistic!

Jer

Oh, I think that estimate is WAAAAY high. I'd love to be wrong, I don't have a crystal ball... but based on all previous sales velocity of similar products, that's 5+ YEARS worth of stock, and that's being very optimistic!

Jer

What? You don't have a 3-D printer to print parts on an as needed basis? I thought the new facility was state-of-the-art? Wow, you guys are so out of date! (Heck, you could even print yourself up a crystal ball!) :hysterical:

Sam

Jer,

Maybe throw out a price and take pre-order's with payment and a refund if not enough sell ?

or how about putting it on kickstarter (for the tooling and setup)?

Andrew

I'm good with Andrew's idea, pre-sell to get an estimate of how many right away. My money is standing by, bezels only, already have the rest!

Jeff

Jer

You would know way better than I would, I was just guessing with all the California Special cars out there that you would be able to sell at least 100 to 200 to them and probably 300 to SGT owners and at least another 50 to 100 to Hertz owners. Possibly people might purchase more than 1 set to hold onto for the future. Some of these parts actually increase in value. But these cars are starting to age and people do move onto newer and bigger things so maybe you might not sell anywhere near 500 of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I have given up on this project ,,,,,,,,,,, GG

With the departure of Jer, I'm hoping this project doesn't go the way of the Dodo! Really would like a "go" or "no go" signal from Shelby - if it's a no go, then I'll move ahead with my own modifications!

Sam

You would know way better than I would, I was just guessing with all the California Special cars out there that you would be able to sell at least 100 to 200 to them and probably 300 to SGT owners and at least another 50 to 100 to Hertz owners. Possibly people might purchase more than 1 set to hold onto for the future. Some of these parts actually increase in value. But these cars are starting to age and people do move onto newer and bigger things so maybe you might not sell anywhere near 500 of them.

you are making those estimates based on what?

I dont think current Team Shelby membership numbers or weekly website traffic would support your estimates.....

2 or 3 years ago......but no longer.........

you are making those estimates based on what?

I dont think current Team Shelby membership numbers or weekly website traffic would support your estimates.....

2 or 3 years ago......but no longer.........

Just guessing.....I know they still have everybody's email and if they do a heavy email campaign on new products and do some marketing on facebook I would hope they could sell 500 of them but maybe Jer and you are right that the sales won't even come close to 500 kits.

Archived