TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SC whipple VS paxton on a SGT

After reviewing a number of Ford/Mustang magazine articles and talking to installers, my opinion is that the Fox body Mustangs and sN95 models loved putting in free standing centrifugal superchargers, such as Paxton, Powerdyne, Vortec, etc. Then with the induction changes on the S197 models, the roots-Style units that sit on top of the manifold seem to take over.

You can still install a Paxton, but you may not pass emissions depending on your local and state laws.

Both styles of induction are very capable so which you prefer is prurely subjective. The Whipple and Kenny Bell are more efficent out of the box and frankly they tend to win out for most simply due to emissions.

You can still install a Paxton, but you may not pass emissions depending on your local and state laws.

Both styles of induction are very capable so which you prefer is prurely subjective. The Whipple and Kenny Bell are more efficent out of the box and frankly they tend to win out for most simply due to emissions.

I'm not sure about the efficiency claim. I was shocked when I just had mine done a few months ago. I fully did not expect it to pass with the Aluminator engine, CNC heads, Hot Rod cams, and the Paxton. It blew as clean as any of my other cars. We have to run full dyno emissions here on the front range of Colorado. This was also on the full race dyno'd tune.

Good question Jim - I would think that if the S/C is equipped with a bypass, the car would still be drivable. Without a bypass, couldn't say for sure, but I would think it might not run properly, if at all, since the air has to pass through compressor rotors that aren't moving and this would disrupt proper flow.

See if any experts chime in here!

By the way, during my install, while troubleshooting, I was able to crank and idle the engine with the s/c installed and NO serpentine belt installed! Not a good ideal for more than a few minutes, but it did run!

Sam

I added the seperate 10 Rib Whipple Pulley so if that belt fails it will still run, but the chances of that are slim to none. If the regular belt fails it is the same as if it fails without the SC, you will overheat and lose power steering and such. In other words NO if that happens you should shut down ASAP.

what if it breaks ie:belt , interal ,etc..can you still drive the car with out the sc running?

Thanks

GOD Bless

Jim

I can only speak for a Whipple, and yes you can drive it without a belt. Yes it will overheat and be a bear to steer, but it can be driven. When the belt broke (one of several times) and I couldn't get a replacement belt, I was able to use the stock belt, bypass the SC and drive the car several miles home until a replacement belt could be purchased. I like Carnut have since gone with the 10 rib setup.

Good luck and enjoy!

I'm not sure about the efficiency claim. I was shocked when I just had mine done a few months ago. I fully did not expect it to pass with the Aluminator engine, CNC heads, Hot Rod cams, and the Paxton. It blew as clean as any of my other cars. We have to run full dyno emissions here on the front range of Colorado. This was also on the full race dyno'd tune.

I'm only refering to the SC straight out on the box. Depending on the combinations (pulley, intercooler, tune) each is equally capable. It's my understanding that the Paxton could not get a carb cert in Cali due to the lack of an airbox and carbon filter.

what you need to consider with supercharger choice is do you want to build instant boost (whipple) or top end boost (paxton). The whipple has a bang load of boost right off the line, the Paxton will start working about 4000 rpm or so.

what you need to consider with supercharger choice is do you want to build instant boost (whipple) or top end boost (paxton). The whipple has a bang load of boost right off the line, the Paxton will start working about 4000 rpm or so.

Mine with the auto and OD off is about 3K. Stock torque converter. No modification to tune from when it was installed at Shelby.

Supercharger ownership class 101 for Whipples:

Always have a spare belt in the trunk

Have the proper wrenches to move the belt tensioner when installing a new fan belt.

Have a diagram to route the belt correctly, better yet, laminate the drawing.

Have a flashlight to install it at night.

Install the pulleys discussed in my pulley/belt thread and your belt shredding problems will be eliminated. Also, I highly recommend the top idler pulley on the driver side of the car be replaced with a pulley that has flanges (lips) so the belt won't slip off the pulley.

Install the Shelby tensioner plate on the tensioner arm, or better yet, buy an upgraded tensioner arm/pulley from Thumper RRR racing. I believe Steeda also sells an upgraded tensioner arm.

Carry an original fan belt in case you shred your spare belt. Original belts bypass the supercharger and if all else fails, installing the original fan belt will let you drive your car home.

• 3 weeks later...

Whipples are fun because it's hard to hear the exhaust when you get on it, even from 1K RPM. :) I've got a spare belt in the trunk as well.

I also carry a spare belt. However, your comment would be one of the few downfalls of the Whipple. I miss hearing my exhaust and prefer the bark of exhaust over the whine of the S/C. I know I'm in the minority, though.

Whipples are fun because it's hard to hear the exhaust when you get on it, even from 1K RPM. :) I've got a spare belt in the trunk as well.

Main reason I like the Edelbrock - no one knows it's there until it's to late! Use the E-Force Luke!

Sam

I also carry a spare belt. However, your comment would be one of the few downfalls of the Whipple. I miss hearing my exhaust and prefer the bark of exhaust over the whine of the S/C. I know I'm in the minority, though.

Minority here too. Paxtons whistle more like a turbo. No whining here. :) Only thing I don't like is the noisy idle.

Guilty as charge, I love the whine. You know it's working. ;)

• 7 months later...

if I get one I probably opt for the Whipple. I'm not lookin to have an officially licensed Shelby shop install. just want to have one installed. I guess my Ford dealer can do it. the mechanics' eyes light up when they see my car show up. I guess they like working on it. :flirt:

In all fairness to my last post regarding Whipple 101, I have not had any issues with belts now for two or three years since I installed the flanged idler pulley on the driver's side and the heavy duty belt tensioner. Not a single problem with the belt. But, I still carry an extra belt and the proper tools to change it.

• 1 year later...

Archived