TEAM SHELBY FORUM

just had my new nt01's heat cycled

frazierfreud

pretty stoked for my next PDE. I had my front end aligned for track / street which should help with the understeer issue. I am picking up my new nitto nt01's tomorrow from discount tire after they mount them to my stock rims. I had them heat cycle them for me. it should be a whole new experience at the track next weekend!

Yes - the operating temps for that particular tire is 160 - 220 degrees F . Also recommended camber for that tire is a negative 2.5 to negative 5.0 degrees . They recommend high 30s hot on pressure but you have to determine cold PSI on your own ( based upon how much the pressure grows on your particular vehicle ) which is usually around 30 PSI cold . It's different for different tires - always consult the tire manufacturer . This info is available through NITTO Technical Department or with any other brand ( some info is listed in Tire Racks Tech info section articles ).

NT05s maybe different - you should contact Nitto and ask their tech department . I have put the NT01 on cars and worked with Nitto concerning them but each are different even from the same manufacturer. Experienced the same thing with Michelins ( Pilot Super Sports vs Pilot PS2s ).

Thanks again. I've done a little web research across different brands and I'm learning the same as you explain. Most highend tires like high 30's, low 40's. I've been running with bad info from my 1st track day years ago and I'm sure I'm running too low on pressure. I'll do some more research on the NT05's.

NT05s maybe different - you should contact Nitto and ask their tech department . I have put the NT01 on cars and worked with Nitto concerning them but each are different even from the same manufacturer. Experienced the same thing with Michelins ( Pilot Super Sports vs Pilot PS2s ).

How did you like the nt01? I've got my camber set at -1.75 for street / track.

The Nitto NT01 works fine and last - it's a good buy for the $ . I usually will go with 2 degrees negative camber on a street/track car with them . The manufacturer would like to see negative 2.5 or more which I feel is a bit much for a street driven car . If you are only driving the car to and from the track and doing open track days you should run around 3 degrees negative but stay out of the wet .

Thanks again. I've done a little web research across different brands and I'm learning the same as you explain. Most highend tires like high 30's, low 40's. I've been running with bad info from my 1st track day years ago and I'm sure I'm running too low on pressure. I'll do some more research on the NT05's.

Besides checking the air pressure, another good way to fine tune the pressure when you are tracking the car is to take a look at the outside edge of the tire where the tread meets the sidewall. Most performance tire manufacturers put indicators there so you can see how far the tire is rolling over in a turn. Using these indicators, you can tell if your air pressure is too high (scuffed edge of the tire isn't close to the indicators which means that you are not using all the tread) or too low (indicators are being eated away, meaning your trying to use the sidewall for cornering). From what I understand, the sweetspot is slightly above the indicator maybe a 32nd of an inch to just tickling the indicator. You can also mark the shoulder of the tire with chalk or white shoe polish to get a good visual on tire rollover.

Mark

Besides checking the air pressure, another good way to fine tune the pressure when you are tracking the car is to take a look at the outside edge of the tire where the tread meets the sidewall. Most performance tire manufacturers put indicators there so you can see how far the tire is rolling over in a turn. Using these indicators, you can tell if your air pressure is too high (scuffed edge of the tire isn't close to the indicators which means that you are not using all the tread) or too low (indicators are being eated away, meaning your trying to use the sidewall for cornering). From what I understand, the sweetspot is slightly above the indicator maybe a 32nd of an inch to just tickling the indicator. You can also mark the shoulder of the tire with chalk or white shoe polish to get a good visual on tire rollover.

Mark

What indicators are you referring to Mark ? The tread wear bar location indicator ones ? Those are not for rollover , they are there to tell you where the tread wear bars are within the grooves of the tire not for how far the tire rolls over .

Mark

Yes, I had read an artical stating the same when I was doing some quick research. I'll definitly give chalk or something simular a try. Thanks!

If you have a push ( understeer ) or not enough negative camber the front tire will roll over and increasing air pressure will not work as a cure for the problem but it may mask the problem by not letting you hear the tire moan and lose grip quicker . You need to look at the texture of the scuffed areas and if there is a change in the textures . If you are not sure on how to read a tire you can resort to the shoe polish/chalk process but you must also read the tread area and tread depth across the tire . How far over the edge will also depend on the wheel width to tire width relationship one has chosen . The shoe polish / chalk is better used as a tool to tell whether you are experiencing understeer / oversteer more than it is for air pressures.

What indicators are you referring to Mark ? The tread wear bar location indicator ones ? Those are not for rollover , they are there to tell you where the tread wear bars are within the grooves of the tire not for how far the tire rolls over .

Yes sir, the one and the same. I've had quite a few people tell me that that's what they are for and, being a newbe at the time, I believed what the more experienced drivers told me. So, I'm perpetuating a myth, my bad.

Mark

We used to tell guys that were using Michelins the same thing - that the little "Bib" figure that Michelins uses was the French way of "giving you the finger" and you wanted to get to the point of wearing off the finger portion. That way they would over inflate their tires and it would take longer to heat up giving us an advantage at the start of a race. You use tire pressures to control the tire temps growth and stay in the optimal grip range for the longest period of time . Too low or too high of a tire pressure means that you get less time of the tires optimal grip time ( in other words it takes more time to get to temp and grip or it takes away from grip too early because you go past its range of temp / grip ) . You need to gather data on air temp , track temp , tire temps , and tire pressures to get to a point where you can find your desired range . Yes you need to establish a starting point but don't stop there if you want the most out of your tires / chassis set up and using the technique that they told you will get you to "ball park" range ( that's a big size ball park ) you must use tire pressures to get accurate tire temp readings and use the tire pressures to get the tire temps ( like Tim stated ) that the tire manufacturer states will give you optimal grip . I am just saying that there is a lot more to it than what your competition is willing to tell you .

Archived