TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Wide Body Kit

Has anyone purchased and installed Shelby's wide body kit? I have installed other wide body kits (see photopost-42085-0-61947800-1381434105_thumb.jpg), and have a customer that has requested this kit for his 2013 Shelby GT500KR. Since I have not seen this kit in person, I am trying to do my homework before I spend my customer's $5,999 plus shipping. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

post-42085-0-61947800-1381434105_thumb.jpg

How is the quality of the fiberglass. From the installation instruction photos, it looks thinner than the APR kits that I have installed. I'm also concerned about the Front fascia extensions, since they also look like thin fiberglass that is to be bonded to the OEM urethane fascia. The price of the Shelby kit is $1,000 more than APR and doesn't include front & rear bumpers, front splitter and rear wing.

The quality is very good and the installation is fairly straight forward for an experienced shop. The main focus is of course the bond between the two, which if not done properly will crack over time. Shelby sends the bonding agent they recommend, I would say get a few extra tubes. Fitment was good but its really about taking the time to do all the prep and then finish it properly before paint. Frankly, unless you know someone who has experience I would NOT recommend stepping into a first job. Our shop does plenty of fab and this job is a piece of cake comparatively. Very complete package.

IMG_1939.JPG

Thanks for the info. I built my shop from the ground up in 1972 and have been doing repairs, customizing and restorations ever since. We complete about a body kit installation a week, in addition to our other work. As I am probably sure that you know that some kits are better than others. I have returned many kits that are so poorly manufactured that they were not worth the box that they were packaged in. That is the reason for my concern, not the installation. Thanks again!

• 1 year later...

Archived