TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Repro Alcoa wheels coming

Captain Beyond

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robert:

Man I love the look of the wide rubber on the back of your SS. What was the actual measurement of the widening of the rear wheels? I think most folks widen to 11.75. Who widened them? Did you have to remove the bumper stops or any other modifications? It really looks cool and something I need to consider.

Thanks.

Kevin

Robert:

Man I love the look of the wide rubber on the back of your SS. What was the actual measurement of the widening of the rear wheels? I think most folks widen to 11.75. Who widened them? Did you have to remove the bumper stops or any other modifications? It really looks cool and something I need to consider.

Thanks.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin.

I went all the way to 12". A couple of the guys on the SuperSnake forum had experimented with 12" and it worked, others have had rub issues and were limited to 11.75 or less. Mine were done by Weldcraft when they were still widening Alcoa's. The funny thing is, even with the widening of these wheels, with the TPMS and tires mounted they required like .50 ounce on the inside of one rear wheel, that was it!!

The only "mods" to my car were the removal of the Eibach rear shock boots and the removal of the rear brake ducts that were added during the SuperSnake upgrade. Both removed without cutting, both able to be reinstalled with narrower rear tires.

The Eibach shock dust boots

001-5.jpg

The SuperSnake rear brake ducts.

0012-3.jpg

^^^^^Blurry, but the only picture I have currently.

R

Robert,

One more question if I may. You mention the back are 325/30's. I have Michelin PSS's and they don't make a 325/30. What rubber brand are you running? P-Zero's? Are you pleased with them from a noise/handling/ adhesion perspective?

Thanks and once again, really cool look on your car.

Kevin

Robert,

One more question if I may. You mention the back are 325/30's. I have Michelin PSS's and they don't make a 325/30. What rubber brand are you running? P-Zero's? Are you pleased with them from a noise/handling/ adhesion perspective?

Thanks and once again, really cool look on your car.

Kevin

Dunlop was the only maker of the 325/30's, I don't know if that is still the case. I used a matching 275/35 Dunlop with a 10" Alcoa on the front of my car. The Dunlops are SP Sport Maxx GT's or something like that. Yes, my car is now very predictable and goes straight, it still will spin, but it now goes straight. I have recently purchased BMR LCA relocation brackets to get my I.C. in a position for more rear tire grip. I will see how that works out.

R

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like a good option for lower price and acceptable quality, I saw the photos of the site, but there is someone who already bought a set of wheels? I would like to see how they look with chrome finish

Yair M.

Actually I designed that wheel and hold the patent for it. This is interesting.

Am I the only one here who finds this post interesting?

Meaning, who are you, what other designs do you have out there, did you license the design to these guys? etc.

Thanks Kevin.

I went all the way to 12". A couple of the guys on the SuperSnake forum had experimented with 12" and it worked, others have had rub issues and were limited to 11.75 or less. Mine were done by Weldcraft when they were still widening Alcoa's. The funny thing is, even with the widening of these wheels, with the TPMS and tires mounted they required like .50 ounce on the inside of one rear wheel, that was it!!

The only "mods" to my car were the removal of the Eibach rear shock boots and the removal of the rear brake ducts that were added during the SuperSnake upgrade. Both removed without cutting, both able to be reinstalled with narrower rear tires.

The Eibach shock dust boots

The SuperSnake rear brake ducts.

^^^^^Blurry, but the only picture I have currently.

R

Robert,

Do you happen to know your backspace in inches and if your overall wheel width is 12" or wider?

Thanks

Correct original 20" Super Snake Alcoa's seem to still be commanding good $$$, even with repro's being announced..............

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-HTF-Mustang-Alcoa-Shelby-Forged-Super-Snake-4-Wheel-Rim-Set-2-20X10-2-20X9-/301005169512?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=9ViGlnT7BqjdwLJKPVgLf%252FA1Ndg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Add the $260 shipping cost to the selling price and they went over $4500..........

R

• 1 month later...

Has anyone taken the leap of faith and purchased these wheels?

I took the leap and am waiting for delivery. Should be any day now...

I am considering 315 instead of 305's. Do the 315's fit.

I have been told to remove the upper shock cover and possibly removing the bump stops.

I took the leap and am waiting for delivery. Should be any day now...

I am considering 315 instead of 305's. Do the 315's fit.

I have been told to remove the upper shock cover and possibly removing the bump stops.

Here is a view of a 305/35 Pirelli P-Zero on a 10" Alcoa.............

index.jpg

^^^Because the tire is on the "wider" side of the specs for a 10" wide rim, the 305 is beginning to look "pinched" at the bead area.

One other point of interest, the owner of this Super Snake had his 8.8 axle housing shortened by 1/2 in each side because these 305's stuck out too much for his liking. <<<This is with the 36.7" positive offset of the Alcoa 10" wheel, the BMC's spec at .3mm further out (+37mm), so there will be even more "stick out".

10" Alcoa w/305/35 Pirelli before axle shortening................

Before.jpg

After the 8.8 axle was shortened ($1800 later) with the 305/35 Pirelli P-Zero........

After.jpg

If you don't mind the "fat/sticking out" look, then this is not a big deal.............if you do?????

...................and 315's were not even contemplated on a 10" Alcoa, they would REALLY look "pinched" and stick out even further!

R

But being"pinched" would also give some safety to "curb rashing" the rim.

I am not that worried about the little bit sticking out. More worried about rubbing on inside. Mine is stock height but going to lower rear by 1". Already have Watts link and BMR LCA's are ordered.

Yes the extra rubber will protect against curb rash. Many of the newer tires have a lip saver feature built into the mounting area of their tires without being pinched, which also helps.

There are many guys running the 315/30 with widened Alcoa's they have no rub issues and the rims are widened to 11.75" and even 11-7/8 to accommodate the 315. This widening also flattens the sidewall, but it costs $$$ to get them widened, and that is not something that many owners want to do.

Here is a 315/30 Toyo R888 on a 11.75 Alcoa..........Nice fit and look, but like you mentioned, you gotta pay attention to those curbs. I really think 11.50 would also work well with this tire..........

photo-5.jpg

R

My personal opinion (which is worthless), I think the 275 front/295 rear Nitto Invo tires on the 9/10 Alcoa set-up looks nice. The tires look "meaty" but not like someone is trying to put too much on too little. The tires fit the rims properly and there is a little bulge front and rear for rim lip protection.............

nov20_2009068.jpg

R

ok thanks for all the help and explanation

You're welcome.

With Alcoa's and especially these BMC's which appear to have an even more positive offset, the tire selection can either make or break the cars look and performance. A little "sticking out" is acceptable to most, like if the sidewall bulges a little past the fender well lip, but if it gets to the point where the flat tread surface also is past the fender lip...........that gets to be a little much.......so I tire selection is very important with the "positively" positive offset wheels.

R

If some of you guys do decide to spend the $$$ and widen either Alcoa's or the BMC's and want an aggressive matching tire on all four corners, the wheels shown below are not Alcoa's or BMC, but they appear to have a very similar positive offset.

This Mustang GT has R888's on all four corners, 285's on the front and 315's on the rear................

IMG_1955.jpg

IMG_1966.jpg

experiment_2.jpg

^^^^^^^^This combination is 20x10 front and 20x12 rear.

R

• 3 months later...

I took the "leap of faith" and made a good decision.

Looks killer and balance out (with very little weight) perfectly.

The offset is perfect especially with the adjustable Panhard bar.

Running stock size SS NITTO triple nickels.

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I took the "leap of faith" and made a good decision.

Looks killer and balance out (with very little weight) perfectly.

The offset is perfect especially with the adjustable Panhard bar.

Running stock size SS NITTO triple nickels.

:thumbsup:

^^^^^Nice!!

Mine is a 2008 Torch Red/Black stripe too. Do you have the Red insert - Black interior option also? or Charcoal/Black?

If by chance, you ever need a hood, my original Torch Red/Black striped hood was removed during a Super Snake upgrade at 8.6 original miles and has been in a hood box since it came back from Las Vegas.

R

• 3 weeks later...

^^^^^Nice!!

Mine is a 2008 Torch Red/Black stripe too. Do you have the Red insert - Black interior option also? or Charcoal/Black?

If by chance, you ever need a hood, my original Torch Red/Black striped hood was removed during a Super Snake upgrade at 8.6 original miles and has been in a hood box since it came back from Las Vegas.

R

Thanks R......

Funny you ask about my interior...the wife and I just yesterdee had this conversation. I told her the ONLY thing that woulda made my 1 of 214 produced cars that much sweeter woulda been the two tone interior.

So no, I do NOT have it. :lol:

I'm partial to red with black stripes myself!!! Mine has the two tone interior.

When I ordered my '07 back in the day, I didn't even blink on white / blue stripes. Always thought that was "THE" color to have, given the first Shelby GT350's were that.

However, now that I have the luxury of owning this red / black car, I would not trade it for the old one.

Sorry I'm off topic here....

• 7 months later...

Hi guys

I've received last week my chrome set for my 2007 shelby GT500...20X9 Front and 20X10 Rear.

i'm looking for the tires now...

The front OEM 255/45/18 become a 255/35/20, but the rear 285/40/18 should be a 295/30/20 (it's the closest in diameter and difference: 0.03%), but in lot of place they suggest 285/30/20 or 275/35/20...so i'm lost

my car have a VMP stage 2 (so more HP and Torque) and is lower with steda sport spring 1.2" front and 1"5 rear

need your help please

another point, in france the car must be check every 2 years, and if the tires are to different, i won't be approuve to road legal. the max is 1% différence

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived