TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Repro Alcoa wheels coming

Captain Beyond

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'll be interesting to see how successful these wheels are. It's just too bad that Shelby and Alcoa stopped production of the original. That's capitalism though. Shelby's loss could be BMC's gain. I think a polished version would be great too. Chromed aluminum just doesn't hold up well.

It'll be interesting to see how successful these wheels are. It's just too bad that Shelby and Alcoa stopped production of the original. That's capitalism though. Shelby's loss could be BMC's gain. I think a polished version would be great too. Chromed aluminum just doesn't hold up well.

+ 1 :thumbsup:

I'm sure they will sell a ton of them considering the demand for these.

They will at least be good for car shows or cruising and you don't have to worry about cracking one and not being able to replace it.

I will wait and see the feedback on these before jumping in. It would be nice if they offered a 20 x 11.

Shelby's loss...

+1,000

What makes the Alcoa wheels expensive to make was the original forge tooling. That tooling cost has already been amortized from the original batches, so making additional batches is now dirt cheap. To not pursue providing product to that additional market demand is a major miscalculation by somebody sitting in a leather chair at SAI. And now, the counterfeiters will step up with an inferior product to fill the void...and the customers will be there to snap them up.

The OP of the thread on svtperformance says that's the price for a set of four, not one wheel.

Seems pretty clear as per BMC's site:

"Available for preorder are the 20" Black Mamba Mustang Wheels (set of 4 Wheels). The Black Mamba Mustang wheels come in a staggered set of 20x9 FRONT and 20x10 REAR. You can order your wheels in Gunmetal, Satin Black and Chrome. Comes in a set of 4 (2 Front and 2 Rear)."

Not sure if the page was updated, or if I was just dumb and completely missed that description... Either way, I'm excited again. Not ready to put money on a preorder though. Too many bills to take care of first.

Does anybody know the offset of the Alcoa 20 x 9's and 10's? The BMC wheels state +25mm and +37mm on the 10's. Just wondering if this is a direct copy of the originals.

NICE JOB!

I asked it on the SVTP forum but don't know if it got answered....Did the mfgr. get a license agreement from Alcoa on those wheels? Because they ARE patented (or copyrighted, I can't remember which) as was shown here on Team Shelby when someone posted the patent showing Alcoa owned the DESIGN, not just the process.

That wheel is so exact you couldn't argue that it is different enough to avoid a patent.

Just curious,

Phill

Does anybody know the offset of the Alcoa 20 x 9's and 10's? The BMC wheels state +25mm and +37mm on the 10's. Just wondering if this is a direct copy of the originals.

These reproductions are nearly identical to the original Alcoa's in offset. I linked the original's in the SVTPerf.com thread on the wheels. I think it was +24mm front 9" and +36.7 rear 10".

Does this mean that the reproductions would stick out 1.0mm more on the front and .3mm more on the rear?

Here is a side profile that lead me to believe that there are very little change in the offset..............and it almost looks like they are out further than my original Super Snake Alcoa's?

BMC-WBM1-4-2.jpg

In the picture below I was able to get my 275 fronts on 10" and my 325 rears on 12" to an "acceptable" fit but if these reproductions stick out even further (any at all), I don't think it would be possible..........

011-4.jpg

R

The need a wide version for the rear. The people have spoken ....

I agree!

It is costly to buy these wheels and then spend the additional $$$ for widening. That is why once I identified that the 10" rears would directly fit the front (which many said they would not), I moved the rears to the front and widened a spare pair of 9's that I had purchased to 12" for the rear.

R

The need a wide version for the rear. The people have spoken ....

Agreed! I think if they made a 11", they'd sell better than the SA/Alcoa's.

Phill

Robert, man that is a lot of beef on the road. Looks killer. I am sure that SS sticks pretty good. After studying the pic of the red GT, I think your right. They do stick out a little more. I think it is tolerable though for 285 and 305 setup. I also have the same question about the permission to copy the Alcoa's. One can only assume they took steps to avoid litigation. I would hate to plunk down the $1600 and all of a sudden they say it is a no go and then have to wait 6 months to get your money back. I may just wait until the end of the year. I would like to sell my CS69's first anyway. :thumbsup:

Robert, man that is a lot of beef on the road. Looks killer. I am sure that SS sticks pretty good. After studying the pic of the red GT, I think your right. They do stick out a little more. I think it is tolerable though for 285 and 305 setup. I also have the same question about the permission to copy the Alcoa's. One can only assume they took steps to avoid litigation. I would hate to plunk down the $1600 and all of a sudden they say it is a no go and then have to wait 6 months to get your money back. I may just wait until the end of the year. I would like to sell my CS69's first anyway. :thumbsup:

^^^^^Thank you.

I had two, well three goals..............1st was to keep the car looking as much as possible like a Super Snake without alterations that would get it away from its correct look. 2nd was to add some rear rubber, the 275/35 Pirelli P-Zero's that were installed on this car in Las Vegas allowed this car to get very loose, very quick when moderately pressed with the right foot. The 3rd goal was to stay as close to the original 27.7" overall tire diameter so that when viewed it does not look like a taller or shorter tire was installed just to get some wider rubber on the rear.

Keeping the Alcoa's on the car was a must, but I also did not want to cut up my original Super Snake Alcoa's so I found a second correct set for widening. The 325/30 does connect better, but it will still blow those tires somewhat quickly if pressed hard enough. On the plus side, now it goes straight while overpowering the rear tires instead of being a guessing game. The nice thing about the 325/30 is that they are the same 27.7" overall diameter so they look like the car did after the Super Snake upgrade, but wider. I also test fitted 335/30's but they had too much tire bulge for my taste, it looked like I was trying to fit a big bulgy tire on the back, I did not want that "too fat" look.

While I was moving tires around I test fitted the original 275/35 10" Alcoa on the front and it fit perfectly, so I purchased a matching 275/35 tire to the 325/30 rear and moved the 10's to the front. This heavy nosed GT500 now grips much better when pressed into a turn, unlike the smaller 255/35's that were on it. These cars are heavy in the nose and a little extra rubber up front has not hurt my car at all.

I did much research and test fitting to come up with something that would look acceptable "for the Alcoa offset" and work well for street sprints when desired.

It's a Super Snake, it has to have Alcoa's on it!

R

Not sure if the page was updated, or if I was just dumb and completely missed that description... Either way, I'm excited again. Not ready to put money on a preorder though. Too many bills to take care of first.

It was updated. I personally went to the earlier link to the BMC site, there was a quantity box, a drop down for the wheels finish, I chose a wheel finish (not chrome), changed the quantity box from "1" to "2" added to cart, and my total for two wheels was $2599.98, so since that time there has been an update on the site information, and the OP Laos has updated/clarified specifics related to these wheels.

There was also no mention of 4 wheels being part of the offer..........

Since that time it has all changed.

I like the look of these wheels. They are a little different in good ways.

R

That's a very nice looking wheel and I'm sure they'll sell many sets. A less aggressive offset would have been nice so that Mustang folk could fit a wider tire without the rubbing issue.
One option they wont have is the patented Alcoa durabrite coating that makes our Alcoa's that much nicer.

Archived