TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelbi’s first car

sheppd01

Beautiful ride for a first car (or any other number). Enjoy, appreciate and be safe. I will tell Shelbi what my older sister told me when I got a 1/2 year old convertible when I turned 16 - "Just remember you will have friends coming out of the woodwork that you never knew you had - and they never were" She was right.

wow! congrats! be VERY careful with that car! i'm sure you've already been told how squirrely those sn95 cars can get in a hurry, especially with the low end torque of a 302 (i assume).

what a great dad! get the shot gun ready for all those boys that will be chasing her now, if they already aren't! of course now they'll have a much hard time catching her! hahahaha!

wow! congrats! be VERY careful with that car! i'm sure you've already been told how squirrely those sn95 cars can get in a hurry, especially with the low end torque of a 302 (i assume).

what a great dad! get the shot gun ready for all those boys that will be chasing her now, if they already aren't! of course now they'll have a much hard time catching her! hahahaha!

Well said 2899

Shep, congrats to the both of you. Keeping the SN95 that long and keeping it looking that good must be gratifying. I had a 94 Pace car and loved it. Shelbi, enjoy the ride. Your Dad helped me find my KR. He is really a good guy!

• 1 month later...

New373_zps8b3a7b58.jpg

Shortly after these pictures were taken we took a family vacation back to our home town (Omaha, NE / Council Bluffs, IA). On the way there Shelbi and her mother took turns driving her car and for a two hundred mile stretch Shelbi got to drive the KR for the first time. At one point we pulled off the interstate in the middle of nowhere to get some gas. Noticing that there was absolutely no one else around I told her to put it down into second and give it some gas. She did and the KR came to life. The combination of the supercharger whining and the exhaust roaring it left a smile on her face for the rest of the trip. Later on when asked by her mother how it went she said it was awesome it was the best day of her life.

During the week we spent back at home visiting friends and family Shelbi experience a few headaches with one being severe enough to cause her to vomit. The headaches she was experiencing had recently become common. The family doctor attributed this to birth control pills she had just recently started to take and suggested change in prescription would remedy the situation. A few days ago Shelbi woke up to another severe headache and complained that she wasn’t able to see. She was taken to the emergency room and a CT scan was conducted. It was then that we learned that the headache she was experiencing was actually a stroke. From that hospital she was medevac’d to Children’s Hospital in Washington DC.

Since then she has been diagnosed with a rare disease called Moyamoya. This disease causes the arteries of the brain to slowly wither away restricting the blood flow. The first sign of the disease is most often a stroke. From what I understand this is a genetic disease that shows it’s self during childhood but some adults may also become inflicted.

Unless you have gone through something like this you can’t imagine the pain, the fear, the regret, and guilt a parent feels. Looking back one sees every opportunity squandered every warning sign dismissed and every chance you had to save your child from pain just thrown away.

Shelbi currently resides in the land of the unknown. It’s unknown if another stroke is around the corner. It is unknown if it will take away her ability to speak, her ability to move, or her ability to breath. Only one thing is known. The last one took her ability to see. If nothing else goes wrong, if she goes on to lead a normal productive life that we all take for granted, hers will always be a little different. If one day she gets married she will never know her husband’s face. If one day she has a child she will never know its smile. There are a lot of things this 16 year old will never know.

The arteries in her brain will most likely continue to degenerate. Her only chance is a surgery that will reroute blood flow that normally goes to her scalp and route it to her brain. Shelbi’s cousin is trying to set up an IRS approved foundation (The Shelbi Lynn Foundation) to help offset any medical bills the insurance doesn’t cover and items needed to help her transition to her new life. Any money not used will be used to fund Moyamoya research. If or when that happens the information will be posted on her Facebook page.

Shelbi's Dad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/681234568561392/

As a father of two young girls, my heart goes out to Shelbi and your family. Try not to beat yourself up too much. Most parents would have done the same when advised by a trusted family Dr. You're obviously a loving father and a good parent. Shelbi is lucky to have her family around her.

I am so sorry to hear this. Made me tear up reading it. I have 2 kids. Some times my 11 year old daughter drives me crazy. Some times she acts like a "true blond" so to speak and makes me want to pull my hair out. Now after reading this, the first thing I will do when I see her come home from school is hug her. My thoughts and prayers go out to you, your family, and especially your daughter.

• 1 month later...

Oh my. I only read the top couple of posts and replied to your original (and deleted it).

So very sorry to hear of all this.

Phill

Archived