TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Atlanta Motorsports Park Shelby Day?

TurboGT

Guys & Gals,

I'm thinking of trying to setup a "Shelby Day" at AMP & trying to get a feel for what interest might be to do this. The track is located in Dawsonville, GA & is easily accessible from the I75/I85/GA400 highway corridors. Below is a link to the track website with directions & track related info as well as info on area attractions and such. It is a great location for those of us in the Southeast region.

http://www.atlantamotorsportspark.com

My interest is doing this is purely for pleasure & to try to get some Shelby folks together and enjoy the cars and the facility together. Depending on the level of interest the whole facility can be rented or just have those interested come as a group of guests. There is tons of parking & a world class go-kart facility on-site, great shopping nearby and this is a very family friendly facility so there should be something for the whole family. Again, I have no financial or commercial interest in doing this, so if I'm going about this wrong or posting against the rules then mods please let me know.

My areas of expertise are not in advertising & marketing but I'll be happy to try to coordinate this & hope there will be a lot of interest. Fall is approaching and there are many scenic drives to & from this area & well worth making the trip just to cruise on.

Those interested please leave a note here on the thread & we'll go from there.

Thanks,

Tim

What dates do you have in mind?

I guess it depends on what works best for everyone. Fall is the best time in terms of weather and the scenery, next best would be spring. I work a pretty crazy schedule & understand how hard it can be to coordinate work, family & vacation plans.

Just to clarify for everyone - the purpose of this thread is not to get commitments, but just to find out the level of interest so I can pass that along to the folks that run the track. After they look over the numbers and the track schedule I'll have an idea of projected costs. I am hesitant to provide cost estimates, but presently they charge $250 a day for guests of existing members to drive all day on the track so there's a ballpark figure to start. When you consider the cost of a typical HPDE event (such as Chin Motorsports) with a ride along instructor - anything under $400 is pretty cheap IMHO. For what I have in mind - you certainly wouldn't need to pay the full fee just to attend and see the track, but only if you intend to drive your car on the track.

Another unique experience is available at AMP for those that want to splurge. Velocity Motorsports is on-site and offers an exotic car experience for a fee based on the car and the number of laps you choose. In their current stable they have 2 Ferraris, Porsche Carrera RS 4.0, Corvette, Lamborghini Gallardo and a brand new Nissan GTR (there may be others too). You can do a ride-along with an instructor or you can drive the car with the instructor in the right seat. I did this in Las Vegas in a Ferrari 458 Italia and it was a blast!

Consider this an open forum for suggestions as to what dates would work best and what people would like out of the experience and we'll go from there.

Forgot to mention the also has a stable of 4-5 Ariel Atoms that are available to take on the track. Those of you that are Top Gear fans may have seen Jeremy Clarkson driving one of these pocket rockets. If you haven't heard of them - think big go-kart with a 230hp engine - crazy fast!

I'd love to do something at AMP, but I don't think that they would let my SGT convertible out on the track without a full roll bar installed. I wouldn't be pushing it hard, but I'd like to drive the track similar to how I did at Roebling Road. The main difference with Roebling Road is that the entire course is flat, but AMP has tons of elevation changes that could send you off the course more than a flat course would....potentially!! (it always depends who the driver is).

See what they say about the Convertible issue...

Thanks,

Andy.

I'd love to do something at AMP, but I don't think that they would let my SGT convertible out on the track without a full roll bar installed. I wouldn't be pushing it hard, but I'd like to drive the track similar to how I did at Roebling Road. The main difference with Roebling Road is that the entire course is flat, but AMP has tons of elevation changes that could send you off the course more than a flat course would....potentially!! (it always depends who the driver is).

Thanks,

Andy.

+1

You ought to ask Bob Zinzel (South Atlantic TS Director) about this. It can then really get promoted, even if it's a non-profit type of event.

We would be happy to help on the TS side too.

Bob probably knows about it, Robert. I put it on the South Atlantic Facebook page.

Thanks,

Andy.

Me too, I want to take the convertible out but I dont think they allow us on the track

I would participate and encourage you to cross post this on the MS Valley section. I have already been in correspondence with Becky Powell of AMP (becky@100mphlunch.com) regarding joining the Audi Club for their HPDE on November 16th & 17th. If you are interested in that, I'll share the reply from the Audi Club when received.

Please keep us posted and again, please keep the MS Valley region posted, as well.

Thank you.

Most tracks implement special rules for converts due to what their insurance policies state . If most of the people showing interest have convertibles then explore the possibilities of purchasing a separate policy for the group or offer a lunch time parade lap to the convertible folks . Add something in that works for the track people to gain attention/new members like a tour of the facilities , coffee and a car show along with the parade laps. I'm sure that you can come up with something so you don't leave out the convertible owners . Get with some of the shop owners ( tenants ) at the track - get them to hold an open house . Make it festive / fun for all . Do you need Bob Z.'s phone number or e-mail - PM me if you need it. Only one month left in the summer -

I am in contact with Becky and the GM at AMP as well since I am a member. They are excited about the possibility of this event coming together and eager to help with organizing the event. I am hoping that someone with experience in event promotion will chime in too since my schedule doesn't allow as much free time as I would like (who does? :confused: ).

I want be as inclusive as possible & a rally/cruise through some of the scenic roads should be fun for everyone too. Response from AMP about convertibles was "yes, as long as there is rollover protection". I'm hoping for a definition of what the definition of rollover protection is with regard to this track. Parade laps or lead/follow laps would allow everyone to drive the track too.

Will share the thread with MS Valley region too. Hard part will be pulling everyone together in one spot to share updates but I'll do the best I can & learning as I go.

Tim

Al,

I've been in contact with Becky and the GM of AMP as well since I am a member there. They are excited about trying to help make this event happen as well. I will post a link on the MS Valley page.

Robert,

Thanks for the support! Being a member here and at AMP is where the inspiration to suggest this came from. I would love for TS/SA would play a leading role in supporting this. I really hope to it can be a fun, festive event to promote the enjoyment of our cars and for some good fellowship and profit is not the motive. I am hopeful I can leave the money issues to someone better suited to that and I can focus on logistics and hosting the activities. I have several ideas so as to have something for everyone & but want to get the foundations in place first. Feel free to PM me as to who I should contact for info at TS.

Vert guys,

The response I got from AMP is very encouraging. They sent me a paragraph from the track rules that covers roll protection for open cockpit cars. The way I read it - you would not be required to have a "full" roll bar. I've asked for permission from AMP to post the stated rule here and will do so if I get the OK from them. Since this is a private membership track club, I think insurance rules will dictate what is and is not required. However, when it comes to safety - more equipment is definitely better as none of us ever plan to go off the course or hit anything. :eek5:

Stay tuned!

Here is the "official" rule on roll protection for open cockpit/convertibles on the track at AMP for those interested:

"Open cars must be equipped with a roll bar meeting the following
specifications: (i) the roll bar must be of sufficient height to ensure
that the
top of the driver¹s helmet sits below the line from the top of the roll
bar to
the top of the windshield (commonly referred to as the ³broomstick test²)
and; (ii) the roll bar must be fixed and visible at all times when the
vehicle is on the track."

Does a "light bar" qualify as a roll bar to them ? 2 point or 4 point required - people need to know prior. Maybe have one of the guys in the area go over to the track with you that has a " light bar " and see what they say. Take Jim ( 07gt500conv ) or AndyGJ and see . Just a suggestion .

Does a "light bar" qualify as a roll bar to them ? 2 point or 4 point required - people need to know prior. Maybe have one of the guys in the area go over to the track with you that has a " light bar " and see what they say. Take Jim ( 07gt500conv ) or AndyGJ and see . Just a suggestion .

Great idea as I would definitely want to know before I got to the event and was turned away from the track.

Andy.

My reading of the rule does not see it specifying the number of points of attachment of the bar. Since a "light bar" is the most commonly installed system in convertibles for the street - that is what we need an official ruling on. I know for a fact that a harness is not required.

If someone with a light bar installed in their convertible can send me a link to several pictures of the bar installed then I will show that to the track tech people for a definitive answer.

Have any convertible owners with light bars been allowed to run on any other tracks - and if so, where? Also, if you have run on an open track - what, if any, speed or passing restrictions were in place?

i went to the "mitty" this year in ATL and my friend and many others took old convertibles out on the track but, it wasn't "open" to run as hard as you want for them, it was parade laps. :)

that track is awesome.

i would be interested in getting my SGT out there. keep us posted.

TS Members, rather than posting your questions and speculations, please contact the track directly and get your answer. In post #10, an email address was provided.

In addition, here is the link to their site: http://www.atlantamotorsportspark.com/

I too hope this will come together, as the facility looks fantastic.

The Audi Club has an event that we can join on November 16th & 17th. Total net cost for the two days is $459 (includes a 1 year membership to the audi club - they state it is required for their track event insurance). Still, this is a very fair price for two days of track time with instruction.

Please post if you are seriously interested in participating.

1st - join the Audi club (I don't have an Audi and will only join the club for this event); it's $49: http://www.audiclubna.org/forms/acna-join.php

2nd - the registration site: https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.advert/uidEvent/AF20A55F-BD16-DFD4-043FE8DC2B667E75#.UharE-sT7uN

Registration will show up as $440, to save $30 use coupon code: AlEllison

Your net fee is the sum of $49 + 410, or $459. All other registration requirments are listed on the registration site.

If you have a convertible, please contact Atlanta Motorsports Park (AMP) and resolve your concerns directly.

I will be in on a track day. I was there this spring with the Music City Mustang Club. I'm doing Barber the first week of Nov. with Rezoom for $250.

Thanks

If you have not been on Barber before, you are in for a treat. Rezoom does a good job; for $250 are you doing Saturday or Sunday? Won't they do both days for $450?

Sorry I haven't been able to update in the past few days due to work schedule. Thank you Al for to the connection to the Audi club event - that sounds like an excellent way to experience AMP for those of you with availability in November. As Al suggested - I would urge those with convertibles to contact AMP directly for clarification on their track rules. This event will need to be done right in order for everyone to enjoy the experience and I'm thinking spring 2014 might be the right time as our Northern brethren bring their cars out of hibernation. The track is in high demand on weekends into the fall.

Hopefully this will become a reality within the next few months. :)

I will be in on a track day. I was there this spring with the Music City Mustang Club. I'm doing Barber the first week of Nov. with Rezoom for $250.

Thanks

Barber is an awesome track. That and Miller out in Utah are my top two with VIR in the #3 spot. Granted I've only been around them on motorcycles, but still. The biggest himt at Barber on a bike is pretty much all late apex corners to get a good drive out to the next turn. That and make sure you have lots of fuel since it's also a lot of uphill on the gas and you'll burn through more than you think. Also riders right heading down into the spiderweb turn is bumpy from the braking of the big cars, probably not an issue in a car though.

-steve

• 3 weeks later...

Archived