TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What do you think about the EDR in your car?

WJinLV

EDR: Event Data Recorder as in the black box that records your speed, driving habits and info that happens just before a wreck?

Its a double edged sword when Big Brother is watching. It can help you if the other driver claims they were not speeding before a wreck....but how many of us Shelby owners always obey speed limits?

Ive read that they are now installed at the factory in about 96% of cars. http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/01/06/black-boxes-cars-edr/1566098/

Here is a list of cars in 2013: http://www.rimkus.com/uploads/pdfs/Event_Data_Recorder.pdf Most major car makers or included. (Porsche not on list!)

I do not believe you want to disconnect it but rather destroy the EEPROM after the event has occurred. It seems to write if there is an event that the airbags don't go off. If the airbags go off it writes a permanent record to the chip 5 sec before and 5 seconds after. Some say it could voice record cabin conversations through SYNC. You cannot use a magnetic field to erase it.

My thoughts are these chips are written by 3 or 5 volt electricity; My thought would be to run 12 volt power to the unit after the event. I think that might fry the chip.

I do not believe you want to disconnect it but rather destroy the EEPROM after the event has occurred. It seems to write if there is an event that the airbags don't go off. If the airbags go off it writes a permanent record to the chip 5 sec before and 5 seconds after. Some say it could voice record cabin conversations through SYNC. You cannot use a magnetic field to erase it.

My thoughts are these chips are written by 3 or 5 volt electricity; My thought would be to run 12 volt power to the unit after the event. I think that might fry the chip.

PROM = Programmable READ ONLY Memory

EPROM = Erasable Programable Read Only Memory

EEPROM = Electronically Erasable Programable Memory.

It wouldn't store that kind of information in a ROM, it would be in a RAM (Random Access Memory, i.e. "writeable").

To erase a PROM you can use a PROM reader/writer.

To erase a EPROM, it takes a light source. There is a small window in the chip that allows the light to erase it.

To erase a EEPROM, a PROM reader or eraser is used.

And yes, over voltage would wipe the memory out, and destroy the chip itself.

RAM can be erased by taking the power source away and grounding the power and ground terminals to eliminate any capacitance stored in the chip.

Phill

RAM can be erased by taking the power source away and grounding the power and ground terminals to eliminate any capacitance stored in the chip.

Phill

Unless, of course, it is battery backed...

These guys are clever. Sledge hammers and fire might work but you're not going to erase it unless you know the part and the design (and like I said, assuming you can even get to it).

• 2 weeks later...

There are other issues here. Assuming you have a major crash, and the car is totaled, it is no longer your car, it belongs to the insurance company. You would be tampering with their vehicle at that point. And if there is a very serious crash with a fatality or a very serious injury it may be construed as tampering with evidence. Anyway you look at it with a serious crash the vehicle is going to be towed somewhere and you would have to gain access to the vehicle to somehow perform the erasure. And again, tampering with evidence is criminal, a road you don't want to go down. And it would look bad for you in criminal court and in civil court to have to admit you were wiping the system. You would have to answer why you were doing this and you would say........well, I didn't want you to know I was going about 150 + at the time of the accident. I don't like it either but it is part of today. And besides, one of the 30,000+ future drones in the US probably captured you on camera. Or the FBI/CIA listened in on your cell phone call where you told your best bud you were going 150 and had just shut down a Camaro when the accident occurred.

Here's an idea, probably not a very popular one, use some common sense on the road and save the crazy stuff for the track. Flame away!

Chip

<!GASP!> Why, THE NERVE!!!

Phill

Here's an idea, probably not a very popular one, use some common sense on the road and save the crazy stuff for the track. Flame away!

Chip

Common sense. What a novel concept. I thought that went the way of the Dodo bird.

The box forces people to be responsible for their actions.

Another novel concept, personal responsibility. Oh, and for the conspiracy minded, I am sure that it saves the auto companies money on attorneys' fees...........

On a slightly perverted side note: Has anyone thought about getting one of those Progressive Insurance things that plug into the ODB II port and taking it to a track day?

Mark

Common sense. What a novel concept. I thought that went the way of the Dodo bird.

Another novel concept, personal responsibility. Oh, and for the conspiracy minded, I am sure that it saves the auto companies money on attorneys' fees...........

On a slightly perverted side note: Has anyone thought about getting one of those Progressive Insurance things that plug into the ODB II port and taking it to a track day?

Mark

Wait until you have to have one of those things plugged in just to get insurance coverage. Now that is going to piss me off.

From what I have heard, It can't be removed "legally" due to the fact that it is intergraded through your ECU. If you have a minor wreck in most likely will not be used, and only the insurance companies and police may obtain information from them. Long story short another way to make you pay for something you don't need, or can use to your advantage in traffic court.

Archived