TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Handgun Recomemdation

I'm looking to pick up a handgun to keep in my car and at my apartment. Sad to say, but the Detroit area is really starting to deteriorate quickly. I just got word this week that one of my friends was murdered close to where I live. I've been trying to not be another person in the area carrying, but it's to the point where it's stupid not to have something for protection.

I'm looking for something that has low kickback and is accurate. I will be going to the range and taking a class to learn how to use it properly. All I really know is I want to be able to carry it in my car, on person when need be, and have it if I need when I'm home. I know quite a few here are gun collectors and have their own gun for protection and thought it would be a good place to start to get an unbiased, truthful answer.

Well, I know quite a bit more about guns than cars, so here is my recommendation-

If you intend to carry in a vehicle or home, I highly recommend a SIG P226. I own 4 of those. They are that good. It's what Navy Seals use as a side arm, and most elite groups carry. It's a 9mm with decent capacity and well balanced.

If you are gonna carry concealed on your person, I recommend the Glock 27 subcompact. This is what I carry on my person when I carry.

Now, my mindset changes when I have to be near the border. I carry things I won't openly share for different scenarios that can and do happen down there. What I do change to as my primary pistol though is a FNH FiveSEVEN. It's a special 5.7 round that shares more in common with a .223 than a pistol round, and the pistol has a 20 round capacity as well. Ammo is more expensive, but it has quite a reputation- that nutjob that shot 40 people in FT Hood a few years ago? That's what he used. Heck, not the gun's fault.

Guns are very personal tools though. You will get a dozen different answers here, and at least 9 of them will be valid opinions.

Good luck, be safe

Kahr PM9 stainless or Ruger LC9 with laser grip. LC9 is much less expensive, but PM9 is simpler and stainless. Both small enough for console, glove box or personal carry. Both are 9mm - better stopping power than .380 but less recoil than .40cal.

JMHO, but as Dubbs said - a handgun is a very personal tool you should only carry what you're comfortable with.

I would recommend finding a range that rents guns for you to try out before you purchase. I know some people can't hit the side of a barn with certain handguns just because they don't fit thier hand comfortably. Try several out and see what you like best.

Here's a better idea than buying a gun. Move from Detroit. Sorry if you find this offensive, but much better than actually having to pull out your weapon and kill someone. Safer too.

But if you have to stay in Detroit, +1 on the Glock.

a handgun is a very personal tool you should only carry what you're comfortable with.

I would recommend finding a range that rents guns for you to try out before you purchase. I know some people can't hit the side of a barn with certain handguns just because they don't fit thier hand comfortably. Try several out and see what you like best.

+1000 ...... the most important aspect of a self defense weapon is that your comfortable and proficient with it. Try a bunch and see what you like, then practice often!

Only you can decide which one is best for you. I have several different pistols for different occasions and also what clothes I'm wearing. Usually I carry my glock 26 9mm subcompact. If I'm in business attire I'll carry my seecamp because its small and fits in my pocket. If you are looking for some real stopping power look at the Smith and Wesson M&P 45. I love that pistol but its a bit big to carry all the time. Thankfully we have open carry here in CT. Whatever you do make sure you use hollow point bullets when carrying. They have more stopping power but more importantly they don't ricochet. You can use regular and cheaper full metal jacket bullets at the range.

You have to carry what 1) you are comfortable with 2) meets the need (concealed or whatever) 3) is affordable (to purchase and to shoot). If you can't afford to go shoot on a regular basis, you might as well carry a hammer--up close you can hit someone with it and at a distance you can throw it. Practice, practice, practice. Like others have mentioned above, I have several choices, but my daily carry is a compromise between size and capacity. But it's a gun I'm very comfortable with. Name brands don't mean much to me (except "Shelby") so I don't recommend them. I will however mention that Taurus now makes a 9mm revolver that appears to be a very nice carry piece and it will allow you to pick up a same caliber semi-auto with more capacity and you won't have to buy 3-4 different ammos.

Good advise so far, Do not buy a Kel-Tec PF9 it's a POS

Good point, not putting down this brand specificly, but if you want the protection don't buy something that may not function when you do need it. Last thing you want is the perp laughing at you because your weapon jammed.

Good point, not putting down this brand specificly, but if you want the protection don't buy something that may not function when you do need it. Last thing you want is the perp laughing at you because your weapon jammed.

But while they are laughing its a great time for a pistol whip....or to throw that hammer! lol

Sorry, couldn't resist....

+1000 ...... the most important aspect of a self defense weapon is that your comfortable and proficient with it. Try a bunch and see what you like, then practice often!

Well said. As much as I like one handgun, somebody else might not like the fit\feel\etc. I would recommend a well known, high quality brand like S&W, H&K, Sig, Glock, XD, etc. Stay away from bargain basement choices or off brands.

Also, shoot several size rounds at the range to feel what's comfortable. Bigger rounds do more damage, but i will tend have more recoil.

Pay attention to the size. A full size will normally feel and shoot better because it is well balanced. But if you intend to conceal carry, it might not be the right choice.

Last point...Take a gun safety course or concealed carry course. It's well worth the time and money, even if you feel comfortable shooting

I carry a sig 380 everyday. I know its not as powerful as a 9mm but to be honest its tiny and will do the trick if needed.

I have a huge collection of weapons and the little 380 is one of my favorites.

I carry 3 different pistols, depending on the situation and attire.

My favorite is a S&W .380 Bodyguard w/built-in LASER aim point. It's thin and I can put it inside of my levi's without it being seen wearing a tee shirt.

I have a Barretta .32 Tomcat w/factory Crimson Trace grips that is also small, but not as 'thin' as the S&W so slightly more bulky and slightly harder to conceal.

Then I have a Glock model 36 "slimline" (single stack) .45 ACP. It's big for a personal carry gun but it's 'no nonesense' and will stop/kill a man with 2 shots to center of mass. No need for a 3rd head shot. It also has a LASER aim point.

I'd recommend the S&W over the other 2 due to it's caliber, small size and LASER pointer (a deterrent in of itself).

Phill

I carry a sig 380 everyday. I know its not as powerful as a 9mm but to be honest its tiny and will do the trick if needed.

I have a huge collection of weapons and the little 380 is one of my favorites.

Have to agree a SIG 380 is the way to go got one myself and is small enough to carry in a Mustang. But, my new HK P2000sk LEM 9mm is fairly small too and is bad ass

There are recommendations for a lot of semi-autos here. I have several and enjoy shooting them. However, when it comes to concealed carry, I prefer a .38 Special Revolver. The real advantages with a revolver (especially for an inexperienced shooter) are simplicity and reliability. With the revolver you will have no mags to fool with, no misfeeds, no slides to jack, no stovepipes, no safeties, no problems. I have several revolvers but usually take my Charter Arms Undercover when I carry. You can cock it and pull the trigger or just pull the trigger. It will always go bang when you want it to. It may only have 5 rounds in the cylinder, but you are unlikely to be involved in an extended gunfight. This is a last ditch defensive weapon only.

http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Undercover_53870.asp

Also consider the Ruger LCR. Also a very fine weapon.

http://ruger.com/products/lcr/models.html

There are recommendations for a lot of semi-autos here. I have several and enjoy shooting them. However, when it comes to concealed carry, I prefer a .38 Special Revolver. The real advantages with a revolver (especially for an inexperienced shooter) are simplicity and reliability. With the revolver you will have no mags to fool with, no misfeeds, no slides to jack, no stovepipes, no safeties, no problems. I have several revolvers but usually take my Charter Arms Undercover when I carry. You can cock it and pull the trigger or just pull the trigger. It will always go bang when you want it to. It may only have 5 rounds in the cylinder, but you are unlikely to be involved in an extended gunfight. This is a last ditch defensive weapon only.

agree with the revolver option for the inexperienced, not much to go wrong.

I mentioned before about considering a 9mm or larger but also agree with the .380. Although not as powerful as some of the other calibers mentioned it will get the job done. I have a Ruger LCP I carry at times. Especially in the summer when it can be more difficult to conceal. First rule of a gunfight is to bring a gun si it is better than nothing. Still the best option is to avoid the problem in the first place, but sometimes that does not pan out.

My other personal CCW choices are a Kimber Ultra Carry with Crimson Trace Grips and a Springfield XDS

I like wheel guns. I like them ALOT. When I shot competition that is ALL I used. And mostly Rugar (.357 mag and .44 mag) except in the rimfire class where I used a H&R 7-1/2" .22 convertible (.22LR & .22mag).

However, for concealed carry I prefer a auto feeder primarily for their smaller size. Unless you have one of those little American Arms .22 'pocket guns', you can't conceal a wheel gun real well.

I do agree that it would be better for the 'unexperienced' carrier but in my opinion, someone THAT unexperienced really shouldn't be carrying.

Phill

I like wheel guns. I like them ALOT. When I shot competition that is ALL I used. And mostly Rugar (.357 mag and .44 mag) except in the rimfire class where I used a H&R 7-1/2" .22 convertible (.22LR & .22mag).

However, for concealed carry I prefer a auto feeder primarily for their smaller size. Unless you have one of those little American Arms .22 'pocket guns', you can't conceal a wheel gun real well.

I do agree that it would be better for the 'unexperienced' carrier but in my opinion, someone THAT unexperienced really shouldn't be carrying.

Phill

Phil:

Guys like us that have been shooting for decades tend to forget what it was like when we started out. A gun is a tool. A simple tool is better for the inexperienced. As we get better, a more complex tool becomes an option. In a high stress life saving situation, the last thing you want is to have to think about the operation of the tool. I have 27 years of military experience and have been shooting for 48 years. At the peak, I was shooting 20,000 rounds per year. I STILL carry a revolver for personal protection most of the time. I do carry a Ruger LCP in the summer when wearing shorts but that is the only time I carry an auto.

Dave

I've been carrying professional for almost 40 years. I carried the Sig 226 professionally for years. I personally carry a Colt .45 Defender - there is nothing better than a .45 to stop someone. I also carry a Ruger LCP .380. It is a great pocket gun and is not bulky. I recently purchased a FNS 9, an 18-round capacity semi-automatic pistol. One outstanding pistol. Even the Glock guys love it. It has a concealed hammer and a polymer frame. I looked at the Sigs, but didn't care for their polymer frames.

Colt Defender for maximum stopping power is my first recommendation.

There are a lot of great recommendations here and I am going to research every gun mentioned and see what I like best. I plan on going to a range to test a few after the Dearborn event, just don't have any time before. What are your recommendations for a safe for my apartment? My girlfriend wants one as well but only if we have a safe so it doesn't get into the wrong hands. Both of us are inexperienced and we want to start on the right foot and not be another story on the news.

Here's a better idea than buying a gun. Move from Detroit. Sorry if you find this offensive, but much better than actually having to pull out your weapon and kill someone. Safer too.

But if you have to stay in Detroit, +1 on the Glock.

I plan on moving out of the Detroit area once I leave college. But for the time being I have to make due with the area, and get my education. I would like to be able to go downtown though without having to constantly look over my shoulder - not that having a gun on my person will allow me to do that, but it would give me a greater sense of safety.

EDIT: My girlfriend wants your opinions on a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield .40 for her. She would keep it in a quick access safe. This would be something she would use when home alone if need be.

Lots of good advice.... All comments are accurate.

The best advice is to move from the city. If you cant, go to a range and try some 9mm, a .40 and a 38 special s&w revolver. That should give you a good cross section of different calipers, semi auto vs. revolver. Target Sportsnon Woodward in Royal Oak has a good selection of rental pistols.

There are a lot of great recommendations here and I am going to research every gun mentioned and see what I like best. I plan on going to a range to test a few after the Dearborn event, just don't have any time before. What are your recommendations for a safe for my apartment? My girlfriend wants one as well but only if we have a safe so it doesn't get into the wrong hands. Both of us are inexperienced and we want to start on the right foot and not be another story on the news.

I plan on moving out of the Detroit area once I leave college. But for the time being I have to make due with the area, and get my education. I would like to be able to go downtown though without having to constantly look over my shoulder - not that having a gun on my person will allow me to do that, but it would give me a greater sense of safety.

EDIT: My girlfriend wants your opinions on a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield .40 for her. She would keep it in a quick access safe. This would be something she would use when home alone if need be.

My opinion on your girlfriends question depends on her experience with firearms. If she had a good deal of experience and was comfortable shooting a semi-auto, then the S&W M&P Shield .40 would be a great weapon. Since she does not (and you like S&W products) go with the Bodyguard 38 (again - simplicity and reliability):

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757893_-1_757767_757751_image

There are a lot of good safes out there and some that are not so good. Here are some links to help you choose one that is right for you:

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html

http://www.safeandvaultstore.com/burg-ratings/

Remember, using a weapon is the very last resort. Even if you are justified in using deadly force and are proven inocent, you life will still be hell.

Best option is to avoid the situation in the first place. If it is somewhere you would not normally go without carrying a weapon the you should certainly not go there if you are. Recommend taking a concealed carry course. Not so much for firearm handling but to get more information about the laws that would and not protect you.

Remember, using a weapon is the very last resort. Even if you are justified in using deadly force and are proven inocent, you life will still be hell.

Best option is to avoid the situation in the first place. If it is somewhere you would not normally go without carrying a weapon the you should certainly not go there if you are. Recommend taking a concealed carry course. Not so much for firearm handling but to get more information about the laws that would and not protect you.

Good Advice Scoobs.

Being I live about 20 miles away for Sanford Fl and the Zimmerman trial. It has changed ALOT of lives here in Central Florida.

Just like Scoobs said, deadly force will mess up your life.

I don't intend going places that I don't already go to. There are some really nice folks downtown that has business that are in shady areas of the city and it would be nice to go down and spend an afternoon with them. That's hard to do without a gun, sadly, because everyone carries - 9/10 people aren't legal carries either. So being the odd man out means you're the one that is targeted.

I don't intend on using deadly force, but I'm not going to carry a firearm without being educated on the weapon that I am carrying and the laws that revolve around carrying and having a CCW. I will be taking a course and several days in instructional shooting before I ever go to the range by myself. Like I said before, we don't want to be another story on the news about what happens when guns aren't handled properly and users aren't educated.

I don't intend on using deadly force,

Then you should not be carrying a firearm.

THIS is what I tell people about gun ownership; If you own a gun for self protection (not simply for target shooting or competition shooting), you MUST be prepared to kill a person. Why? It's simple....

If you OWN a gun, you MUST be prepared to carry it.

If you CARRY a gun, you MUST be prepared to draw (use) it.

If you DRAW a gun, you MUST be prepared to shoot (use) it.

If you SHOOT a gun (at a person), you MUST be prepared to hit the person.

If you HIT a person, you MUST be prepared to KILL that person.

"I'll just shoot them in the leg/arm and wound them" is the prevailing (uneducated) logic. Nope, sorry, that's only in the movies.

Therefor, if you own a gun for self protection you MUST be prepared to kill the attacker. That is, to use DEADLY FORCE.

If not, don't buy one.

It is also said that a man who walks into a bar carrying a gun has a totally different attitude than a man who isn't carrying. THAT attitude is human nature and that attitude MUST 'be checked at the door'.

Leave the gun at home or leave the attitude at home....The two don't mix.

Phill

Then you should not be carrying a firearm.

THIS is what I tell people about gun ownership; If you own a gun for self protection (not simply for target shooting or competition shooting), you MUST be prepared to kill a person. Why? It's simple....

If you OWN a gun, you MUST be prepared to carry it.

If you CARRY a gun, you MUST be prepared to draw (use) it.

If you DRAW a gun, you MUST be prepared to shoot (use) it.

If you SHOOT a gun (at a person), you MUST be prepared to hit the person.

If you HIT a person, you MUST be prepared to KILL that person.

"I'll just shoot them in the leg/arm and wound them" is the prevailing (uneducated) logic. Nope, sorry, that's only in the movies.

Therefor, if you own a gun for self protection you MUST be prepared to kill the attacker. That is, to use DEADLY FORCE.

If not, don't buy one.

It is also said that a man who walks into a bar carrying a gun has a totally different attitude than a man who isn't carrying. THAT attitude is human nature and that attitude MUST 'be checked at the door'.

Leave the gun at home or leave the attitude at home....The two don't mix.

Phill

Exactly.

Archived