TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Richard Petty Driving Experience

Thoughts and feedback!

First thought, I get the privilege to drive a NASCAR 12 laps around the track on August 13th at Evergreen Speedway. Oh am I looking forward to this! Was wondering if anyone on here has done this and what you thought of it?

Also this is a 4 1/2 hour drive the weather should be nice here in the pacific northwest do you think I should take the GT500? Would be cool to show up at the race track in a car that from the factory is fairly close in HP. Well compared to most production vehicles that is...

Thanks...

I've done the RP and also the Rusty Wallace ones here in Colorado at Pikes Peak. It's a lot of fun! Now your GT500 will have more hp than these. The cars you will drive have pretty much stock small block crate GM motors. Probably 350hp ish. They will tell you more, but they do not. Now if you do a ride along in an instructor car, those have much more hp, but these are not the cars you get to drive. Don't get me wrong, you can get going plenty fast and will have a ball! Anybody who says that Nascar drivers are not athlete's need to go do one of these driver experience things. Trust me, you will be pretty tuckered out after the 12 laps. A lot of that will be do to being tense, but it does take a lot of work to stay on your game in these cars. I have seen quite a few of these experience cars wrecked by guys going over their heads and end up spending lots of money! So keep your cool and keep within your abilities, and have fun! I like the RW experience a bit better, as you get to pass, but both are loads of fun.

A few years back my wife arranged for me to the RP at Daytona,( there is a group at Disney that some times goes to other tracks ) it was a Great Birthday !

I did the RP drive at Charlotte. Awesome experience! Get the DVD after your ride, it's fun to watch. They will tell you that you need to brake in the corners, don't believe them. The car will roll through, they start you out slow and if you can stay with the pace car they will slowly increase speed. I averaged 142 MPH during my 8 lap ride. I wish I could have done 12 or more.

And of course take the 500, that way they will know you can handle the speed.

Thanks for all the answered questions I am looking forward to this and I will have to get the DVD for sure... I think the GT500 will have to make the trip for sure...

Have a great time. I did the RP with my son at Fontana Speedway.......fantastic time worth every penny.

I did the RP experience at vegas top speed 145 . they said bout 400 hp. so much fun. had 30 laps and as jeff stated if you don't think you have to be in shape. LOL

they didn't offer the video but if it is available I agree get it.

I did the RP experience at vegas top speed 145 . they said bout 400 hp. so much fun. had 30 laps and as jeff stated if you don't think you have to be in shape. LOL

they didn't offer the video but if it is available I agree get it.

It's funny because when they talked about the video I asked if there was a mic in the car and if I could talk and describe my ride, you know be your own narrator... it was so freakin' loud in the car you couldn't hear me talking.... the old story... "I see your lips moving but you're not saying anything" :hysterical:

If you do go for the DVD there are (or were) 2 cameras, one looked out the windshield the other was focused on the driver. So don't pick your nose!!! :hysterical: I wish I could post a small portion of it but that would involve computer skills..... :idea: maybe I'll talk my son into doing it for me!

My kids gave me the RP experience for my 50th birthday a few years back. I turned 8 laps at Atlanta, top speed 132+. Wish I'd had a few more laps! What a hoot! If you're a race fan, our just a speed freak, it's worth the $$$. Problem is, it's only an appetizer! Keeps you wanting more and more and more and more!

I had the RP experience at Vegas when I dropped my car to get Snaked, Enjoyed it so much in the morning had to go back in the afternoon for more laps. Didn't drive my car there as it was already checked in SAI but you should drive yours.. Enjoy

• My wife paid for me to do 30 laps in Michigan for my 40th birthday. Fantastic experience. I also bought the DVD and Doug is right it is LOUD in the car but it's intoxicating.10 laps at a clip is how they did it for my RP experience. Enjoy. -Kevin
  •  

The RP driving experence is one of the things I'd love to do. The real pisser is both my wife and my daughter have done the ride-along at LVMS. My sister-in-law's "significant other" works for the RP driving experence at LVMS, so both of their rides were covered by his employee discount.

Oh, and by all means drive the 500. You'll appreciate it even more afterwards.......

Mark

Archived