TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Road Trip!

I love this car! We just made the big loop to Myrtle Beach and back from KY. Went through Chattanooga and Atlanta, came back through Asheville and Gatlinburg. Over 2048 miles round trip. Stopped in at Darlington, Rockingham and the Nascar Hall of Fame as side trips. Averaged 18.54 mpg and about $3.52/gallon. Only incident was between Nashville & Murfreesboro--was cruising about 60, traffic was heavy, but not stop and go. Had been running between 75 and 90 between KY state line and Nashville--traffic was not heavy, but just crazy! People jumping in and out of lanes, screaming by on the right and then trying to cut back in.....crazy stuff. Anyway, we're just a couple of miles past the Bell Rd. exit and the hood pops loose on the car! Scared the crap out of us! It didn't blow up, just popped loose. I managed to get to the shoulder without getting rear-ended and opened and dropped it shut. Pulled up on it several times and went on.....no other issues with it the rest of the trip! I love the way this thing cruises along the interstate, cruises along the mountain roads, beach roads, the strip in Gatlinburg........there's nothing it can't do (even loaded down with a week of our junk!). One exception on this car doing everything........I just about rubbed the air dam off transitioning in and out of the parking garage at Myrtle Beach!

I lost track of the number of time people hollered, waved, gave thumbs up to this car......every gas stop, every parking garage meeting, almost every stop, somebody made a positive comment on this car. On the other hand, while in Gatlinburg, I saw at least half a dozen Vipers, a bunch of SRT8 Ram trucks, Chargers, Challengers, etc. But in over 2000 miles I saw 2 GT 500s--1 on the strip in Gatlinburg and 1 on the interstate near Columbia, SC. and 1 SGT on the strip in Gatlinburg. I guess even in the numbers they were built, these cars are still rare sights!

Great trip, lots of good time with the top down, lots of good seafood, lots of beautiful sights in the mountains.

We did a lot of that route 2 weeks ago on the Hot Rod Power Tour. 2158 miles for us, 18.3 MPG and a blast on the country roads with 4000 other cars on the tour. Lots more Mustangs this year. Like you I think these are great road cars!

Probably the best American built "Grand Touring" car ever made, IMHO. I also agree that for the relatively high production numbers, they are not very common on the road. I think that's why they get so much attention.

At one stop the manager of the Burger King went out to take pictures of it. Kind of cracked me up as e were close to Shelbyville Indiana.

I'm excited I've got a big road trip planned in Aug from NM to South Dakota. It will be the first time since we bought it that we are going to do some serious miles. Even going to hit pikes peak on our way back which should be a lot of fun for me, not so much for my wife.....lol

Had the hood pop up to the first catch myself, pulling hard in 3rd gear with drag radials on the car.

Needless to say, it sure grabs your attention :)

I made up a nylon safety strap that I clip to the hood whenever I run the car at the strip.

Be nice if Shelby offered a fancy branded piece like that at their store.

Was never a fan of hood pins/retainers myself.

Waaaaay back in the dark ages when gas had lead and tires were skinny, I had a 1969 MGC when I was in college. The automotive press of the day maligned as nose heavy, not nimble, and never really gave it a chance. I loved mine, it was a great long-legged cruiser with a 3 liter 6 cyl (same engine as the Austin Healey 3000) backed by a 4 speed with electric overdrive. You could flick the switch and dispatch long lines of traffic quickly.........much like waking the supercharger up in our cars and blowing by! I loved the low-key looks of the C and surprised many a TR6, Spitfire and 914 with it's torque and acceleration.

It, like the 500, was much more touring car than sports car! And, like the 500, got more than it's fair share of attention....it was just enough different from an MGB that people noticed....... :peelout:

Archived