TEAM SHELBY FORUM

E85 pros and cons?

super hiss

ok, im still trying to confirm about e85.

CONS

-can damage certin rubber seals

-requires change in fuel pressure from oct to e85

-its harder to start in colder locations

-its just under a 1/3 faster consuming than octane

-you need to upgrade your fuel system to handle the higher need of flow and methanol friendly components

-different e85 stations have inconsistent mixtures

-you do not want to stow it for more than 30 days

-you need to change your fuel filters more

-and im trying to verify this, but it may gunk up some parts.

im trying to find out how hard it is or how empty you have to be in order to swap between oct and e85. no where else on other forums does it state this but the guy im talking to says it can to you injectors and valves, yet the whole pro behind it is

PROS

-its cleaner than octane

-you can get past emissions easier

-very good for boosted applications

-cooler charge to combust

-cooler residue leaving

-its equal to 102 octane

-more available in the southwest

-more know resistant and can handle higher levels of boost

-leaner fuel - air ratio

-cleaner burn

If you can bring anything to this subjet please let me know

Corn will be in short suply this year with all the rain in Iowa. Farmers still cant get in the fields to plant.Other midwest states may hace the same problem. there have been flooding everywhere in the middle of the country.

E85 gets less fuel mileage than gas by a lot. Nascar uses it and there mileage dropped considerably. The cost difference in changing your car over is probably not worth it for a driver. If you are plaining on drag raceing only then it may be a option. If you drive to other states it may not be as aviable as it is where you live. The fuel is like brake fluid as it attracts water. Some here have converted there cars to E85. I wouldnt do it not worth the time or cost. Our cars pass smog here in Ca. no problem which has the toughest smog laws in the nation.

It's easier and cheaper to add Meth injection. Provides all the the same performance benifits without the hassle.

How much easier is it? How much is it for the methanol, how long does it last, and what's the pos and neg of it

Corn will be in short suply this year with all the rain in Iowa. Farmers still cant get in the fields to plant.Other midwest states may hace the same problem. there have been flooding everywhere in the middle of the country.

E85 gets less fuel mileage than gas by a lot. Nascar uses it and there mileage dropped considerably. The cost difference in changing your car over is probably not worth it for a driver. If you are plaining on drag raceing only then it may be a option. If you drive to other states it may not be as aviable as it is where you live. The fuel is like brake fluid as it attracts water. Some here have converted there cars to E85. I wouldnt do it not worth the time or cost. Our cars pass smog here in Ca. no problem which has the toughest smog laws in the nation.

Yep, was there yesterday and today (1500 mile drive in 21 driving hours, 38 hours total). Fields are flooded in northwest Iowa... Haven't even been planted yet. Some laser-leveled fields that were planted had 6+" of water across 160 acres (a quarter section)

E85 may have some race applications but for a general driving fuel, figure the cost per mile driven, not $/gal or MPG. MPG suffers greatly, but the price of E85 is not proportional to $/m. The energy content is more costly to produce, usually costing more to produce in fuel cost to plant and cultivate than it yields. Better to feed corn to cows and pigs.

(I grew up on a dairy farm.)

The only thing I got from that is its 25$ for the bottle, I'm talking barny style break down, I give a rats ass about more hp, I want to get a safe fuel, I want to know how much the cost is, I want to know how long that 25$ bottle last for, I want to know what octane it turns it into if I have 91, I need more knowledge on this

You lost me; what's not safe with the fuel at your local gas station? Aside from the fact that it will already contain 10-15% ethenol. If you are not looking for performance (more power) then why are you considering E85?

Call Snow Performance, if they cannot answer your questions then no one here can either.

You lost me; what's not safe with the fuel at your local gas station? Aside from the fact that it will already contain 10-15% ethenol. If you are not looking for performance (more power) then why are you considering E85?

Call Snow Performance, if they cannot answer your questions then no one here can either.

Yea, I emailed them bc I'm stationed over seas, I asked van as well. It just sounds to good to be true. I guess the down side is all the shit you have to put in your car, I'm trying to all the facts together before pushing the buttons

Water/meth injection has been around for 60+ years. The water when vaporized reduces your intake charge temps. The Meth effectively increases you octane which depends on your setup. How long it last again depends on your setup and your left foot.

The octane rating with water/meth equivalent is anywhere between 100-106 depending on who you talk to.

So you mean to tell me, for roughly 700$ plus install fees, I can have an unlimited amount of 102 oct fuel at the cost of window washer fluid or the actual juice... I may get this then, just have to figure out how to hide the tacky bottles and such and not ruin my car with cheap looking parts

I wouldn't call it unlimited. The water/meth is only injected when needed. Again, it depends on the setup. It's obviously not needed when sitting at a stoplight, cruising the highway, etc.

Most people convert the washer fluid bottle to hold the water/meth.

Let me rephrase the 'as needed'. The injection rate will increase with throttle input. You don't want to run out of water/meth unless you can easily switch between engine tunes. You will need a new tune specific to water/meth, but the injection can be shut off when running a conservative tune. Many run a conservative tune on the street and something more aggressive on the track.

As others have mentioned the companies actually use more energy to produce gasahol than the energy it saves. Like everything else that comes out of Washington DC it is a result of political corruption and paybacks. Farmers lobbied for mandatory use of alcohol in all fuel nationwide and I believe the minimum content is 10% so now we are stuck with it. The original question asked for the pros and cons. If your vehicle is not designed for E85 then it is harmful to the vehicle and not covered under warranty so there are no pros. And E85 delivers lower mileage so again there are no pros unless your vehicle is designed for E 85. And some say that E 85 produces less emissions which is true, but not in all categories. Bottom line is E 85 is the result of political corruption in the US. Yes there are countries that run 100% alcohol such as Brazil but there vehicles (seals, gaskets, tanks, etc) are designed for this.

On the pro side it runs much cooler than gas, has a higher octaine and will allow you to safely increase your boost. You will see an increase of ~ 15% hp run running E85 and having your vehicle properly tuned.

I must admit my ignorance on E85. I've never seen it at any gas stations that I frequent. Is it a regional fuel or just found at race tracks?

It's regional. In the States it's more prevalent in the Midwest.

I always laugh at the people buying E85 around here, northern New Mexico. We have lots of stations with it, but it is normally priced higher than E10. Today E10 is about $3.20 and E85 is $3.40. But, most people who buy it do not have the intelligence to do the math for their flex-fuel cars, they just "think" it is all green and wonderful and saving the planet and could care less about cost, efficiency, etc. There are many around here who have converted their Priuses to run on E85, and they are convinced they are saving poor old Mother Earth better than anyone. Go figure, but then again they do call the place The People's Republic of Santa Fe.... :hysterical:

I always laugh at the people buying E85 around here, northern New Mexico. We have lots of stations with it, but it is normally priced higher than E10. Today E10 is about $3.20 and E85 is $3.40. But, most people who buy it do not have the intelligence to do the math for their flex-fuel cars, they just "think" it is all green and wonderful and saving the planet and could care less about cost, efficiency, etc. There are many around here who have converted their Priuses to run on E85, and they are convinced they are saving poor old Mother Earth better than anyone. Go figure, but then again they do call the place The People's Republic of Santa Fe.... :hysterical:

When I had my 2006 GMC Sierra (flex-fuel) I would run E-85 when it got down to $1 a gallon LESS than regular.

In California, the closest E-85 gas station was in Bakersfield and I was in Prunedale (Salinas), about 300-350 miles away.

In Colorado Springs, we have about 20 stations (if not more) that sell E-85 and they DO compete. I don't think I've EVER seen E-85 selling higher than regular but Diesel is another matter.

My GMC's mileage didn't suffer too badly when I used E-85. Enough so that it was beneficial to run it IF it was $1 per gallon less than regular.

BTW, all E-85 guarantees you is that there is at LEAST 85% alcohol in it. It can be as much as 100% alcohol.

Phill

• 4 weeks later...

Umm......no.

BY LAW any ethanol not destined for human consumption (and therefore not subject to breathtaking taxes) MUST be denatured.

Industry standard for ethanol to be used as fuel is to add 15% gasoline. Down the pipeline, may be cut further.

If it were 100% you could drive up to a gas pump and DRINK it.

As others have mentioned the companies actually use more energy to produce gasahol than the energy it saves. Like everything else that comes out of Washington DC it is a result of political corruption and paybacks. Farmers lobbied for mandatory use of alcohol in all fuel nationwide and I believe the minimum content is 10% so now we are stuck with it. The original question asked for the pros and cons. If your vehicle is not designed for E85 then it is harmful to the vehicle and not covered under warranty so there are no pros. And E85 delivers lower mileage so again there are no pros unless your vehicle is designed for E 85. And some say that E 85 produces less emissions which is true, but not in all categories. Bottom line is E 85 is the result of political corruption in the US. Yes there are countries that run 100% alcohol such as Brazil but there vehicles (seals, gaskets, tanks, etc) are designed for this.

Wow...........just.............wow. :headspin:

Archived