TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear Brake Squeal?

Capt500

I have approx 12,500 miles on my 2011. About 200 miles back, I noticed the rear brakes starting to squeal just a bit. Now it is more consistent. I rarely do any burnouts that would chew up my rear pads. Has anyone had their rears start squealing so early? Any suggestions for replacement- OEM pads, or better to go with aftermarket/performance?? Thanks!

If you are easy on the brakes, they shouldn't be wearing out that early on the back, IMHO. I put close to 30K on my 2011 before I swapped pads and the rears had lots of meat left. The noise might be coming from a lack of grease where the caliper meets the back of the pad/shim. This can cause vibration of metal parts which in turn make a squealing noise. Cleaning off the old grease and putting a light coat of fresh grease on the back (outsides) where the caliper grips the pad and where the piston ring makes contact might help out.

As far as aftermarket pad alternatives, I really like the way the AutoZone's Duralast Gold CMAX work. They are very reasonably priced and you will see a massive reduction in brake dust. They work great for track days and when used for a Daily Driver.

I have approx 12,500 miles on my 2011. About 200 miles back, I noticed the rear brakes starting to squeal just a bit. Now it is more consistent. I rarely do any burnouts that would chew up my rear pads. Has anyone had their rears start squealing so early? Any suggestions for replacement- OEM pads, or better to go with aftermarket/performance?? Thanks!

Could be several things causing the squeal. On my car I started hearing chirping sounds coming from the rear before it became a squeal. Turns out that I had a broken pad retainer clip that was rubbing on the disk. Replaced the clip and the noise went away.

When I replaced the pads on my car, I went with Performance Friction Z-Rated pads because I like to open track the car. Even these pads will squeal once in a while, especally when cold and only in very low speed stops.

Mark

Every time the traction control kicks in its using the rear brakes. It is possible wear the rear pads fairly quickly depending on your driving style, road conditions, and pad material. From the factory they come with fairly soft pads.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I do not drive the car hard at all. I admit- I've done a few burnouts from time to time, but they are rare. Equally rare are the times I hit the gas too hard, fishtail, TC kicks in, etc. So I'm certain that whatever wear is on the pads is from normal driving, and again, I don't mash the brakes at every stop light/sign. Anyway, I'm convinced that it's a pad squeal and not something like a clip. I need to inspect when I get home though. I ordered the Duralast Gold Cmax pads to install if I decide, otherwise I'll send them back.

Archived