TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MCA Grand National 2013 at the Mickyard

07gt500conv

After reading thru this entire post... I think I have found the crux of the problem...

They didn't have enough CLIP BOARDS for the Judges (copied from their own FB page) :drop:

To all club who are coming to the Mickyard, we are in need of clip boards for the judges. If your club has any, please bring and mark with your club's name so that we can return. Hope to see all of you at the show. Pat

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The few not-so-perfect events all have a common identifier: horrible venue choice. Hopefully lessons have been learned and clubs hosting future events will study this one as the how-not-to-hold-an-event manual. B)

Sam, eagle and I are on the same Epic Fail team, just playing different positions

eagle, I fully agree it was venue choice that caused a majority of problems. The venue just happened to be a Disney property

Maybe they didn"t realize how strict and controlling Disney is. Maybe they thought they could get exceptions to Disney policy due to the size of the event.

But, at some point, those clubs made a conscious decision that the nightmare of planning a Grand National wasn't enough. They were going to do it on Disney property, in multiple locations, and have to jump through Disney hoops.

The host clubs decision to host a Grand National across several locations within Walt Disney World proved to be a very poor decision on their part.

Sad part is, on multiple forums, they have taken a defensive attitude. Instead of saying "yeah, we screwed up, sorry", their attitude is "you do this and see how much better you are"

I've seen that attitude on several, unrelated, Mustang forums.

Sam, eagle and I are on the same Epic Fail team, just playing different positions

eagle, I fully agree it was venue choice that caused a majority of problems. The venue just happened to be a Disney property

Maybe they didn"t realize how strict and controlling Disney is. Maybe they thought they could get exceptions to Disney policy due to the size of the event.

But, at some point, those clubs made a conscious decision that the nightmare of planning a Grand National wasn't enough. They were going to do it on Disney property, in multiple locations, and have to jump through Disney hoops.

The host clubs decision to host a Grand National across several locations within Walt Disney World proved to be a very poor decision on their part.

Sad part is, on multiple forums, they have taken a defensive attitude. Instead of saying "yeah, we screwed up, sorry", their attitude is "you do this and see how much better you are"

I've seen that attitude on several, unrelated, Mustang forums.

His, you know that is spot on correct ! It's hard enough to pull off an event like this by itself. Mixing this across a huge controlling property like Disney along with multiple other major events at the same venue and a facility not equipped for it was a recipe for disaster. The unhelpful and poorly informed staff just made it that much worse. I'm sure they had the best intentions but at some point everything fell apart. I had the manager of the shuttle bus service tell me in person the club only paid for two vans however the club insisted otherwise. Just seems like too many items to be called coincidence. It's over now though. A lot of pissed people and a few really pissed people but its over now. On the positive side I can bet we won't see an event at Disney for a while lmao !!

Car events are becoming more difficult to arrange

I did not attend the event but initially planned on it but could not justify the cost.

This event was held in one city,close location between events.

I wonder how Sean (SMC Events) has kept his sanity with all the events he runs. . :drop:

After reading the last few pages I wonder if TS Ontario should think twice about hosting an event.

Plan an event that crosses an entire Country?, :drop: !

How do you please the masses?

What can we learn from this event to help future event holders?

This topic does raise questions. :runaway:

Ken, I lost my sanity LONG ago! :hysterical2:

As an event organizer I completely understand the monumental undertaking of something like this. I can say that I had a great time and a horrible time at the event. First thing we need to understand is that this was an MCA GRAND National event, not just a national event. This is supposed to be the cream of the crop of Mustang shows/events. Having it at Disney World only ups the expectations even higher. That being said there were many missed opportunities and there is enough "blame" to go around to everyone, even Disney.

When you run an event of this size with only volunteers you need to have superior leadership and a very clear breakdown of roles for everyone PLUS a pool of extras to handle all the unforeseen issues that will inevitably arise. You need to have backup plans and alternates for almost every possibility which it seems the host clubs did not have. MCA seems to offer little assistance (but I'm not sure). Having a very detailed checklist from the begining and coordinating with previous host clubs (or a professional organizer :shades: ) might have yielded much better results. When the host club had their volunteers stand during the banquet I saw less than 10 people rise.

I offer the following not as a complaint or to bash anyone but merely to illustrate what areas can be improved upon for future shows:

Venue - Disney is a GREAT choice in THEORY . In reality it adds an incredible amount of outside issues and constraints to the event. Also the show was outside then inside then back outside. Very confusing. Maybe the MCA show was booked before the other 2 events being held there but at the very least some info or notice should have been provided to us. Add to this that Disney just made a major overhaul of it's IT system and you had a large number of guests with room keys/park passes that did not work. My family went through 5 sets and even then my wife and daughters cards were still backwards. The parking situation has been mentioned already and the lack of communication with trailer parking was a very big part of this.

Registration - My personal pet-peave here is that if you attend an MCA event without a car you are basically persona non grata (unwelcome visitor), as has been my experience many times now. All non-car registrations were placed in small envelopes and the staff was not informed of this. That caused MANY people to experience huge problems with "lost" packages. Another issue I experienced was a TOTAL lack of communication from the host clubs. After I registered I never received another email or letter - none. I was completely in the dark as to the show and the schedule of events. Registration packages were passed out first by Disney then handed back to one of the local clubs. That caused a great deal of confusion. After 4 park tickets were lost or did not work as well.

Host Club & Workers - My understanding is that MCA picks a city/area to host and then enlists the local club(s) to do the heavy lifting (please correct me if I am wrong). In this case it seems that the Florida clubs were woefully understaffed to handle almost 600 cars and what must have been 1400+ people that came with the cars. The fact that no one thought to have drinks (water) available for the judges on Saturday is mind blowing. When one of the judges has to leave in the middle of judging to buy cases of water for the other judges shows just how disorganized the event was. I was more than happy to support the local Boy Scouts and their water sales (I bought 6 just for myself) they were not equipped to supply water to everyone. Yes these are volunteers but I still expect basic needs to be met. Those of you who have been to or heard about the Terlingua Event might see how well an event (albit much smaller scale) can run staffed only with volunteers.

My personal issues were too numerous to mention and can be traced back to Disney, the MCA and the host clubs. I will say that the car show part of our trip was very disappointing as were several of my interactions with Disney. That said, the personal interaction I had with a couple of the host club members was fantastic and 95% of the Disney employees were beyond great. Over all it was a wonderful 9 day trip for my family but I do have some serious concerns about attending another MCA event and I would be extremely hesitant to enter a car into one.

Great insight Sean, there are a couple of missed points. The MCA does not pick the city, the local clubs submit for consideration for a national/grand national event. It is voted on by the BoD. The MCA provides a document for guidance and what is expected at those show levels. There is also a small fund that is provided to the hosting club(s). If those expectations are not met, then the MCA has the right to refuse all or part of those funds.

On the judges water situation. Chris Hall from the MCA went out and bought water and Gatoraide the night before. He paid for it out of his pocket. During the judging, it was passed out to whoever needed the water. It ran out quicker than expected.

I help put on an event and when we screw up, we admit it, apologize, remedy it and move on.

I hope this helps......

Now you are just embarrassing yourself. Disney WAS the lions share of the blame but it appears those 50+ visits biased you some. That owner of the "plain Jane " 96 svt had won dozens of Shows over many years to win that pinnacle award. He worked on getting that award. It's called dedication. You are just proving how lame you are by busting on others cars. Dude you didn't win. Take your crying towel and ask Mickey Mouse to cheer you up. Geez get a life man. The show was a disaster mainly from Disney and the venue choice.

Really, how bout I take that crying towel and shove it in your mouth! Were you there, if not shut the F. up! Anytime anywhere... if you're gonna talk to someone that way back it up or shut your mouth

Really, how bout I take that crying towel and shove it in your mouth! Were you there, if not shut the F. up! Anytime anywhere... if you're gonna talk to someone that way back it up or shut your mouth

LMAO! Thank You, I have not laughed that hard in forever! Yes, not only was I there, I've also been to every single MCA national/Grand National for the last three years. Every single one. So I do have something to make a comparison with. I honestly feel sorry for you. I'm not quite sure how someone goes from defending disney to wanting to fight at the flag pole after school. Oh and just as a side note, challenging people to fight goes against everything that the "It's a small world" ride represents. Mickey would be very unhappy with you! LMAO!!!

I'm not interested in throwing down with you at all, in fact we have some of the same gripes of the show. But leave other people's accomplishments out of your hate filled rants.

This show is over for me, I'm done commenting on it , looking forward to the 2014 nationals.

• 2 weeks later...

My '08 GT-C has 30,000+- miles 7,00 since Feb. It is my daily driver. It will remain totally stock forever. I will try to make this the most mileage Shelby known. Now if I was to enter a show like the Mickyard and entered daily driven would it be a Shelby daily or Mustang daily?? If Mustang, how fair is that to a nice plane jane 6cylinder '09? I have just sold a concours '66 Mustang gt convertible(pony int,console,etc.). I see TRUE value in PURE stock, but I love to see modified. Are there classes for my stock GT?

Archived