TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MCA Grand National 2013 at the Mickyard

07gt500conv

I can't explain the water situation other than one person was extremely rude. Is it excusable? No and I do get it, but one issue become 3 issues, 3 issues becomes 9 issues. Maybe the person that said no purchased it and didn't have any more money, who knows? We don't know the income level of every participant or how much they gave up to get there. Why didn't you pack a cooler and bring hydration? There are a number of arguments that don't make any of this better. My point is that none of these events are perfect and some people will have a perfect event and other people will be at the short end of the stick. It happens. It's how we choose to react to it that matters. I spent at least 40-50 bucks on water from the Boy Scouts/Cub Scouts/Brownies walking around in the heat trying to raise money for their organizations. Expensive for water? Yes! It was for a decent cause and I didn't bring any in a cooler.

I will stop commenting here as it is clear to me that it frustrates you because I don't agree with you. I don't know you and don't know your situation personally, I do know many of us were there and experienced similar circumstances and didn't find the need to put down the organizations that hosted the show or the many people that gave countless hours planning and working in the heat to have the event. Maybe I don't belong since I choose not be negative. Is this what being a part of Team Shelby is now? You have to complain about the events you attend? If being positive is drinking the Kool-Aid, then I must be downing it by the gallon. Here is an idea, continue to put me down now since it makes you feel better. I'll just sit over here and take it because we must all agree with you. Feel better now? My opinion is unchanged and I have nothing against you or anyone on here. I had fun and it was because I chose to have fun.

The reason why I did not pack my cooler is because I was told that there would be Boy Scots at the venue at registration selling water, for me that was Friday. I packed my cooler on Saturday for your information. Donated my 30 bucks to Mickey for their H2O.

I also contributed to the Boy Scots on Saturday. You don’t frustrate me with your point of view but you will not prohibit my point of view.

Like I said I will not attend another MCA event, it does not mean I wish others not to. My opinion only.

I really could not give 2 squats what you think.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Car events are becoming more difficult to arrange

I did not attend the event but initially planned on it but could not justify the cost.

This event was held in one city,close location between events.

I wonder how Sean (SMC Events) has kept his sanity with all the events he runs. . :drop:

After reading the last few pages I wonder if TS Ontario should think twice about hosting an event.

Plan an event that crosses an entire Country?, :drop: !

How do you please the masses?

What can we learn from this event to help future event holders?

This topic does raise questions. :runaway:

Put up signs telling people where the trailer parking is....

don't leave the list home with all the prepaid t-shirt sizes so you cant give them out.....

don't keep people in line for registration for hours so all the vintage cars overheat...

don't charge $40 plus per person for hot dogs and hamburgers at dinner and then charge an additional $3 for a soda....

don't bore everyone to death with your drivel of a 2 hour speech at the awards dinner BEFORE the awards are given out.......

don't have cold water for yourselves and give unchilled/hot water to the folks who paid to be there and need a drink

have your staff brought up to speed on what to do and have a go to person(s) to deal with questions.....

maybe put senior staff in a certain color tshirt so they are easy to find in a crowd for those questions....

its not THAT hard.....with lots of planning.....like you have when you have MONTHS to prepare.......it can be done..... :rockon:

I did not attend the event but initially planned on it but could not justify the cost.

I wonder how Sean (SMC Events) has kept his sanity with all the events he runs. . :drop:

After reading the last few pages I wonder if TS Ontario should think twice about hosting an event.

Well put Mr Keniamiah.....

Put up signs telling people where the trailer parking is....

don't leave the list home with all the prepaid t-shirt sizes so you cant give them out.....

don't keep people in line for registration for hours so all the vintage cars overheat...

don't charge $40 plus per person for hot dogs and hamburgers at dinner and then charge an additional $3 for a soda....

don't bore everyone to death with your drivel of a 2 hour speech at the awards dinner BEFORE the awards are given out.......

don't have cold water for yourselves and give unchilled/hot water to the folks who paid to be there and need a drink

have your staff brought up to speed on what to do and have a go to person(s) to deal with questions.....

maybe put senior staff in a certain color tshirt so they are easy to find in a crowd for those questions....

its not THAT hard.....with lots of planning.....like you have when you have MONTHS to prepare.......it can be done..... :rockon:

Wicked,

I couldn't have said it any better! That is exactly what was needed.

TS northeast has hosted many outstanding LARGE events. You should seek advice from TS NE members who were involved ( GT50040th, etc...) They know how to host an event!

TS northeast has hosted many outstanding LARGE events. You should seek advice from TS NE members who were involved ( GT50040th, etc...) They know how to host an event!

well said Eagle.....after the several Carlisle's I would bet John has this down to a science.......

and he is a great guy, easy to talk to, I'm sure he would give you great advice if you asked.....

Thanks to all for your candid comments. It's nice to express your opinion openly without judgment. Well, maybe not...I feel like my opinion was not what some agreed with, so I must be on something.

I think expressing negativity in public does not improve things but merely attempts to ensure if you aren't happy, no one should be happy.

Here is my takeaway: Stop going to shows with my cars and introducing my son to the car hobby. There are too many that seek to take the fun in it away. Remember, you will never know the impact a smile can have on another person. The same goes with how you behave.

To all of you negative "me first" people: Thank you for showing me why I need to stop spending my money on car club memberships and fees for shows as clearly they must all be terrible for someone.

It saddens me to see that nothing can ever be good, even the love of the automobile. Very disappointing.

Because someone had a negative experience or made a negative comment they are a 'me first' person, are you for real? You might need to go outside and smell some fresh air... EVERYONE has a right to their own opinion period whether you or I like it!! With my Irish blood I'm going to say it and don't really give a shit what you or anyone thinks about it either as its my opinion. If there was a problem which OBVIOUSLY there was it needs to be expressed so that this never happens again at another show but according to you its poor attitude negativity right, c'mon man. Dude, you need to wakeup because a lot of people spent a lot of money and time to come to this show and to be treated like this was inexcusable so stop with your B.S.

Which Shelby class did you judge? I'd really like to know the nimwit who judged my car? I now remember why the last MCA Show I went to was 2007!

Yes, Name calling toward volunteers is an opinion. I understand. Thank you for clarifying your level of thought. I have never been to a show that everything was perfect in even once. If any of you believe you have, it is because in that particular one, you didn't experience it, but someone did.

I gave you my takeaway. Car shows are full of wonderful people and a few that are never happy and always need someone or something to blame it on. You don't have to like how I feel, but I am glad knowing I got your attention as I didn't resort to calling you a name, or telling you my country of my relatives origin is why I behave as I do. I just called you on your own behavior and it struck a chord. The only person you should be angry with is yourself for failing to find a better way to handle it.

Oh and don't worry, you can call me all of the names in the military bible of dialect(I am the son of a career military man), you don't faze me and I won't bow down and play on your terms. I made my decision. I am not going to renew my memberships so that I don't have to listen to the griping and moaning and groaning over how it should have been. It is always easy to see the path after you walked it now isn't it? By the way, I am not defending the event or what happened, I was just a participant, I just don't see what the purpose in getting on here and groaning about it was supposed to accomplish. I especially am not a fan of people who resort to attacking people because things weren't as they wanted, expected, desired them to be when the intentions were well desired. If the intentions of the two host clubs and the MCA was to make you miserable, well by all means, carry on and continue the moaning and groaning.

You seem kind of defensive for someone that feels entitled to their opinion at any cost or belittlement. This wasn't about you or anyone else, just how many of the people complain after every event. You put yourself in that category, not me. I thought we were all here to discuss our cars, our enjoyment of them and make friendships, not attack everyone or every thing. I was wrong, so I plan to leave. My choice.

Well to kind of change to tone here, here are pictures I got my wife to take since I was working as a judge Saturday. Only got about half the show field. Enjoy!

http://s718.photobucket.com/user/lgnlime05gt/slideshow/2013%20MCA%20Grand%20National%20Mustang%20at%20the%20Mickyard

Thanks for sharing.

Which Shelby class did you judge? I'd really like to know the nimwit who judged my car? I now remember why the last MCA Show I went to was 2007!

Join the club 39Mustang. There was a car there that got a gold several months ago at a national show, then a couple of months later it got a silver at the next show. At this show, it got a bronze. The person corrected everything from prior shows and did worse at this show. It appears there is no consistency in the judging rules from one show to another. Needless to say, there was one unhappy and irrate person.

39Mustang Wish I knew you were at the show I would have said hello. Yes it was extremely hot and not plan well. I was about to leave Friday in the registration process. After MCA had lost my information I waited over an hour before they gave me a dash card. After showing them my confirmation and cancelled check they had me pull over for an additional hour. (yes it was about 110 degrees ) when I asked for water they handed me a warm water that was sitting in the sun. They also had a cooler filled with water but it was for them. ( Not very nice people if you ask me)

Overall I did meet some really nice people there but needless to say I will never attend another MCA event.

You were not the only that happened to. I heard several others was lost as well.

There was a lot wrong with this show. The blame can only lye on the officer of the host clubs and Disney.

Host club:

Registration should not take an hour.

Everything you checked off on the registration form should have been in the packets.

BBQ with burgers and dogs should not cost $40+.

Don't have an event with 2 other events in the same location.

The awards banquet was good but way too long. I hate sitting through 2 hours of bad jokes.

Mother nature didn't cooperate too well with the heat but the club should have tried to provide cold water to people who requests it. I know it gets to be expensive to water down a couple thousand people.

The show itenerary should have been printed and placed in each packet.

Disney:

If you request a room next to someone, don't put them at the other end of the complex.

The food costs are rediculous. I don't know how they stay in business at that cost.

I do have to say the staff at Disney was very polite.

There was a lot wrong with this show. The blame can only lye on the officer of the host clubs and Disney.

Host club:

Registration should not take an hour.

Everything you checked off on the registration form should have been in the packets.

BBQ with burgers and dogs should not cost $40+.

Don't have an event with 2 other events in the same location.

The awards banquet was good but way too long. I hate sitting through 2 hours of bad jokes.

Mother nature didn't cooperate too well with the heat but the club should have tried to provide cold water to people who requests it. I know it gets to be expensive to water down a couple thousand people.

The show itenerary should have been printed and placed in each packet.

Disney:

If you request a room next to someone, don't put them at the other end of the complex.

The food costs are rediculous. I don't know how they stay in business at that cost.

I do have to say the staff at Disney was very polite.

I think the food price was set by Disney. I know after night #1, my wife and I ventured off Disney campus to find food more reasonably priced.

I've been to multiple MCA shows and this one was the longest awards ceremony I've sat through. Including the banquet, my wife and I sat there probably 4 hrs. before my class was called. I wonder if they weren't done judging/tallying was why they had the 2 hrs. of bad jokes.

I think the food price was set by Disney. I know after night #1, my wife and I ventured off Disney campus to find food more reasonably priced.

I've been to multiple MCA shows and this one was the longest awards ceremony I've sat through. Including the banquet, my wife and I sat there probably 4 hrs. before my class was called. I wonder if they weren't done judging/tallying was why they had the 2 hrs. of bad jokes.

That was part of the problem. You don't even want to go into what the judges had to go through.

Well to kind of change to tone here, here are pictures I got my wife to take since I was working as a judge Saturday. Only got about half the show field. Enjoy!

http://s718.photobucket.com/user/lgnlime05gt/slideshow/2013%20MCA%20Grand%20National%20Mustang%20at%20the%20Mickyard

Great Pics Russ, It was great to meet you on thursday evening also.

Nice pics, Russ!

I gotta say, you've done a great job with your car - a very fitting legend lime tribute to Shelby!

Sam

I will NOT blame Disney for anything!! I've been to Disney World over 50 times since it opened and it is run like a perfect tuned Ferrari and no their prices for stuff like food isn't really expensive if compared to other destinations like NY City, San Fran., and other big cities and they do not have the fun Disney has. First problem I would have said is NO WAY 2 different Mustang Clubs can work together to do something like this there is just too much different of opinions. And WHY would you schedule a Show where 2 other shows are going on at the same time!!! c'mon that is stupid! I've lived in south Florida for 41 years so whomever decided to have an outdoor show at a race track at the end of August is sorry but a complete idiot!! It doesn't start cooling off until October! NOT Sept. but October and having this show here at Disney in April or May would have been perfect weather plus its not rainy season.

MCA would have been better off to have it in the Coronado Springs parking lot like the other show did or right in one of Disney World's back parking lots that barely get used rather than the race track, but what do I know.

To me, problem with all the people running the MCA right now is they cater way to mush to those who always show up to every show. Huh you say? If this was your first MCA Show or 2nd or 3rd then you know exactly what I mean. How many awards did that guy win for a plain Jane nothing special 1996 SVT Cobra! Exactly... this guy got so much attention you'd think he had a 1966 K-code Fastback concours with less than 10,000 miles on the car. And if anyone saw that Grabber Orange 2008 or 2009 Super Snake Conv. with that tacky pin striping and it got 1st place, sorry but that is some ugly add-on's like pimp my ride cars

To Russ(lime gold Shelby tribute)> Was your class-daily driver? If so, were you in a specialty driver or Mustang in general class? How many miles have you put on it since the tribute change? I am glad somebody got a trophy!

My car is registered for MCA National / Grand National shows as a Mustang GT, though I do list is alternately as a SGT Clone, even though its not. (A clone to me would be a copy of a White/Black/Vista Blue or Grabber Orange SGT) It is a daily driver. I have a total of 162k miles, close to 100k miles on it since I did the conversion.

This was my 11th MCA National / Grand National Show. My car is always in Daily Driver as it is my primary mode of transportation. I have won something at every show I've been to except two, one because I had to leave the day of the show due to a family emergency.

I will NOT blame Disney for anything!! I've been to Disney World over 50 times since it opened and it is run like a perfect tuned Ferrari and no their prices for stuff like food isn't really expensive if compared to other destinations like NY City, San Fran., and other big cities and they do not have the fun Disney has. First problem I would have said is NO WAY 2 different Mustang Clubs can work together to do something like this there is just too much different of opinions. And WHY would you schedule a Show where 2 other shows are going on at the same time!!! c'mon that is stupid! I've lived in south Florida for 41 years so whomever decided to have an outdoor show at a race track at the end of August is sorry but a complete idiot!! It doesn't start cooling off until October! NOT Sept. but October and having this show here at Disney in April or May would have been perfect weather plus its not rainy season.

MCA would have been better off to have it in the Coronado Springs parking lot like the other show did or right in one of Disney World's back parking lots that barely get used rather than the race track, but what do I know.

To me, problem with all the people running the MCA right now is they cater way to mush to those who always show up to every show. Huh you say? If this was your first MCA Show or 2nd or 3rd then you know exactly what I mean. How many awards did that guy win for a plain Jane nothing special 1996 SVT Cobra! Exactly... this guy got so much attention you'd think he had a 1966 K-code Fastback concours with less than 10,000 miles on the car. And if anyone saw that Grabber Orange 2008 or 2009 Super Snake Conv. with that tacky pin striping and it got 1st place, sorry but that is some ugly add-on's like pimp my ride cars

Now you are just embarrassing yourself. Disney WAS the lions share of the blame but it appears those 50+ visits biased you some. That owner of the "plain Jane " 96 svt had won dozens of Shows over many years to win that pinnacle award. He worked on getting that award. It's called dedication. You are just proving how lame you are by busting on others cars. Dude you didn't win. Take your crying towel and ask Mickey Mouse to cheer you up. Geez get a life man. The show was a disaster mainly from Disney and the venue choice.

eagle, you hate Disney, that's OK.

Having been down at this Epic Fail of a National, my opinion is that most of what Disney is being blamed for is actually not Disney's fault.

If I have to choose between Disney changing things at the last minute, or the host clubs being clueless about what Disney was actually going to do, I'm going with host club cluelessnes.

Like getting a shuttle bus that was too big to fit into the tracks tunnel, resulting in having a big bus from the hotel to parking near the track and cargo vans from that lot to inside the track. Host club fail.

Like not having any Staff identification so you knew who might be able to offer any help. Host club fail.

Like only having one lane in use, when you have a giant parking lot available, for pre-classification. (That giant lot had a fence around it and had a single vehicle width pass-through to Classification) Host club fail.

Like our change in registered vehicle never being updated even though we did it far in advance. Host club fail.

Like having the judges that came to our car actually looking for a 1996 Shelby ( we changed from an '07 Terlingua to a '96 Cobra ) Host club fail. They provide the manpower.

Like not having any signage. "It was on your paperwork" does not help visitors / spectators. Host club fail.

Like saying you're being parked by class don't worry about coming in together. "Hey we changed that but didn't tell you, sorry your friend is WAY over there". Host club fail.

Like overcharging attendees for food, does the menu below look familiar? Just add corn and beans to it. They charged $42 a person. Guess that band was really expensive. Host club fail.

disney-fairytale-weddings.gif
Pluto Children's Dinner Buffet Menu

iconpr.gif

Nacho Chips and Cheese Sauce

Fruit Salad with Mickey Watermelon

Hamburgers, Hot Dogs and Tater Triangles

Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Pickle, Cheese, Rolls, Ketchup, Mayonnaise and Mustard

Build your own Dirt Pots

Chocolate Pudding, Whipped Cream, Cookie Crumbs and Gummy Worms

Beverage

$25.00++ per person

based on 1½ hours or less and 25 guest minimum

Every single person we dealt with from the host clubs was either clueless or condescending, none of them actually had any constructive help when needed. Host club fail.

And let's not forget the whole, Where IS the show being held ? It's there, no it's here, no it's actually there.Lack of direction and organization. Host club fail.

MCA does not throw a National or Grand National. They provide SOME assistance to the host clubs. The host clubs are responsible for venue, events, and providing equipment / staffing to run the show, Not MCA and not Disney.

Imperial Mustangs of Polk County and Mid-Florida Mustang Club should be thouroughly embarrassed at the Grand National they hosted.

eagle, you hate Disney, that's OK.

Having been down at this Epic Fail of a National, my opinion is that most of what Disney is being blamed for is actually not Disney's fault.

If I have to choose between Disney changing things at the last minute, or the host clubs being clueless about what Disney was actually going to do, I'm going with host club cluelessnes.

Like getting a shuttle bus that was too big to fit into the tracks tunnel, resulting in having a big bus from the hotel to parking near the track and cargo vans from that lot to inside the track. Host club fail.

Like not having any Staff identification so you knew who might be able to offer any help. Host club fail.

Like only having one lane in use, when you have a giant parking lot available, for pre-classification. (That giant lot had a fence around it and had a single vehicle width pass-through to Classification) Host club fail.

Like our change in registered vehicle never being updated even though we did it far in advance. Host club fail.

Like having the judges that came to our car actually looking for a 1996 Shelby ( we changed from an '07 Terlingua to a '96 Cobra ) Host club fail. They provide the manpower.

Like not having any signage. "It was on your paperwork" does not help visitors / spectators. Host club fail.

Like saying you're being parked by class don't worry about coming in together. "Hey we changed that but didn't tell you, sorry your friend is WAY over there". Host club fail.

Like overcharging attendees for food, does the menu below look familiar? Just add corn and beans to it. They charged $42 a person. Guess that band was really expensive. Host club fail.

disney-fairytale-weddings.gif

Pluto Children's Dinner Buffet Menu

iconpr.gif

Nacho Chips and Cheese Sauce

Fruit Salad with Mickey Watermelon

Hamburgers, Hot Dogs and Tater Triangles

Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Pickle, Cheese, Rolls, Ketchup, Mayonnaise and Mustard

Build your own Dirt Pots

Chocolate Pudding, Whipped Cream, Cookie Crumbs and Gummy Worms

Beverage

$25.00++ per person

based on 1½ hours or less and 25 guest minimum

Every single person we dealt with from the host clubs was either clueless or condescending, none of them actually had any constructive help when needed. Host club fail.

And let's not forget the whole, Where IS the show being held ? It's there, no it's here, no it's actually there.Lack of direction and organization. Host club fail.

MCA does not throw a National or Grand National. They provide SOME assistance to the host clubs. The host clubs are responsible for venue, events, and providing equipment / staffing to run the show, Not MCA and not Disney.

Imperial Mustangs of Polk County and Mid-Florida Mustang Club should be thouroughly embarrassed at the Grand National they hosted.

Hispony,

While I understand your viewpoints and can relate I still maintain it was venue choice and Disney. What was the reason for having it inside a restrictive private track that no mustang could drive on? You could have put a chain link fence around a parking lot and had the same effect. The shuttle bus issue was entirely on the host club. But nearly ALL of the issues fall on venue choice (Disney). Had it been held anywhere else other than that God forsaken crap bucket 50% of the issues would have been moot. Sure you would still have the host club issues but at least the other 50% would not have been issues. (Entrance,exit, trailer parking, food prices, etc...). The parking by class thing, well, who in the heck knew what happened to that? Did I mention the venue choice was horrible? Do you know why it couldn't be change to inside? Because Disney insisted all items (trophies,shirts, programs, etc) that had mickyard on it be destroyed and recreated with coronado springs on it. That's ludacris. Don't put Disney on a pedastool. I would compare the host hotel to a 1 1/2 star motel 6 , nothing more. Had the venue been different it would have altered food pricing, parking, access and a multitude of other things.

I do agree that it is not MCA's fault. It's 50/50 host clubs and Disney. I absolutely love MCA national events and try to make every one without exception. We will continue to do so without reservation. These events are the highlight of my family's summer. The few not-so-perfect events all have a common identifier: horrible venue choice. Hopefully lessons have been learned and clubs hosting future events will study this one as the how-not-to-hold-an-event manual. B)

Archived