TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MCA Grand National 2013 at the Mickyard

07gt500conv

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man was it hot today! I actually got to help out in judging some of the Shelbys today.

Though it was nice to smell all that race gas as those Richard Petty cars went by...

Which Shelby class did you judge? I'd really like to know the nimwit who judged my car? I now remember why the last MCA Show I went to was 2007!

Which Shelby class did you judge? I'd really like to know the nimwit who judged my car? I now remember why the last MCA Show I went to was 2007!

39Mustang Wish I knew you were at the show I would have said hello. Yes it was extremely hot and not plan well. I was about to leave Friday in the registration process. After MCA had lost my information I waited over an hour before they gave me a dash card. After showing them my confirmation and cancelled check they had me pull over for an additional hour. (yes it was about 110 degrees ) when I asked for water they handed me a warm water that was sitting in the sun. They also had a cooler filled with water but it was for them. ( Not very nice people if you ask me)

Overall I did meet some really nice people there but needless to say I will never attend another MCA event.

In a word, it was brutal out there! I arrived at the Coronado around 2:30 on Thursday afternoon, checked in and parked near my room - already a lot of cars there, and plenty of trailers taking up 5+ parking slots! (I thought these folks were supposed to park elsewhere?) Met up later with everyone later to formulate a plan for Friday morning. Bar drinks were good, but typical Disney high-dollar, so I mainly stuck with my own stash! Thank goodness for the swimming pools, really could have used one at the speedway! The group, ( myself, Vic, Jim, Tom, Joe, David, et all), headed to the speedway around 9:00 on Friday and after about an hour, made it to our parking slots. Joe got mis-classified as Modified, but, as you'll find out, it didn't matter! All proceeded to clean, clean, clean and watched as more Mustangs arrived. Eventually, the heat took its toll, and we all piled into Jim's Excursion and headed back to the hotel - except for Joe, who was still cleaning! (just kidding, Joe volunteered to help park cars! Good job Joe! Also, a storm brewed up and blew several covers off of cars, and Joe helped chase those down! Our hero!)
Friday afternoon was spent by the pool with the gang. Plenty of adult beverages and fun! Later, it was off to the BBQ, which was a bit disappointing, again, typical Disney, big money for hamburgers and hot dogs! Oh well, my friends were what I came for anyway!
All turned in early, I think, then up early on Saturday for coffee at McDonald's, and to the speedway, again, courtesy of Jim's shuttle service.
More cleaning due to the storm, then waiting for the judges. All I can say is, thank the Lord for the Boy Scouts! They were rolling a wagon full of bottled water around the show field and I think everyone bought $50 dollars worth at 2 bucks each! Most of us were judged fairly early, except for Joe! Due to the classification error, he didn't get judged till after 5! Because of the heat, I think MCA took pity and looked the other way as numerous cars left the speedway before the 5 pm close.
Everyone made it back to the Coronado, but parking became a huge problem! Between the previously mentioned trailers, Dream Cruise cars, MCA, regular guests, and "cast members", all lots were full and some people had to walk extra far to get to their rooms! Quite a zoo out there! Most of us had plans for the evening, (My sister came to visit and we ended up over on International Drive for food and fun till after midnight!)
Sunday morning brought check-out time and awards banquet and ceremony. Very time consuming with the number of cars entered, I think well over 500, but sometime after 3, it was over. Results were good: Gold/First for me, John, Tom, John, David, and others. Vic did you get a third? Finally, as I said earlier, the best part was that, in spite of being in the wrong class, Joe got a Gold! Congratulations to all!
Thanks everyone - especially Jim for the shuttle rides - I had a good time and look forward to the next one!

Sam

Also, while the two clubs and MCA played a role, I would attribute much of the confusion and mix-ups to Disney and their "my way or the highway" attitude. Add that to the booking of multiple events at the same venue at the same time and the inevitable will occur.

Another way of looking at it is each individual entity - The Mid-Florida Mustang Club has their way of doing things, Imperial Mustangs of Polk County does things similar, yet different, Mustang Club of America is a whole different modus operandi, then throw in Disney. 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 4, right? In this case no, multiple personalities at a new, untried venue is sure to lead to some issues!

My biggest gripe was the weather - it's way to hot/humid in Florida in the Summer to hold a car show in the middle of an asphalt covered frying pan!

At the awards ceremony, I joked that the trophies should have featured a "Melted Mickey"!

Sam

39Mustang Wish I knew you were at the show I would have said hello. Yes it was extremely hot and not plan well. I was about to leave Friday in the registration process. After MCA had lost my information I waited over an hour before they gave me a dash card. After showing them my confirmation and cancelled check they had me pull over for an additional hour. (yes it was about 110 degrees ) when I asked for water they handed me a warm water that was sitting in the sun. They also had a cooler filled with water but it was for them. ( Not very nice people if you ask me)

Overall I did meet some really nice people there but needless to say I will never attend another MCA event.

I brought the 2008 Vista Blue GT/SC... I have been an MCA member since 1991 but come tomorrow I will cancel that membership after 22 years due to and I will keep this rated G too but lets say they have NO F. clue on how to judge a late model Shelby period!! If you are the one with the GT350 then yea I saw your's in the parking lot. I wasn't even in the correct class and no this isn't my first rodeo there is more I won't say because I already had a conversation with the head judge and not suppose to say names. MCA needs to understand the Shelby GT500 and all Shelby GT's are two very different cars as well as the GT350 all 3 are very different. Also, he had no response for this and no offense to any GT500 owners but facts are facts and the Shelby GT's and GT350's are built in Las Vegas by Shelby American so read between the lines.

I never could understand why over the last 20 years the Shelby people never came to the MCA Shows and now that I brought a Shelby I actually do now understand why they don't go and unless I get hit in the head by a flying object it was my last one!

I brought the 2008 Vista Blue GT/SC... I have been an MCA member since 1991 but come tomorrow I will cancel that membership after 22 years due to and I will keep this rated G too but lets say they have NO F. clue on how to judge a late model Shelby period!! If you are the one with the GT350 then yea I saw your's in the parking lot. I wasn't even in the correct class and no this isn't my first rodeo there is more I won't say because I already had a conversation with the head judge and not suppose to say names. MCA needs to understand the Shelby GT500 and all Shelby GT's are two very different cars as well as the GT350 all 3 are very different. Also, he had no response for this and no offense to any GT500 owners but facts are facts and the Shelby GT's and GT350's are built in Las Vegas by Shelby American so read between the lines.

I never could understand why over the last 20 years the Shelby people never came to the MCA Shows and now that I brought a Shelby I actually do now understand why they don't go and unless I get hit in the head by a flying object it was my last one!

Many a times I wanted to bring my 92 SAAC MKI to an MCA show but since they seem to be the world's experts on Mustangs they wouldn't have a clue how to judge this... lmao

I also forgot to say this because I'm sure NO one else has the balls to but did you notice how everyone who is a regular at most every MCA National got a Gold or 1st place! I looked at a few sorry but your little fox body is Fugly!!

I will chime in and say I had a good time here. Yes it was hot. Yes this is Florida in Late August/Early September and it gets hot. Did I mention it was hot? Best time of the year to be on a tarmac? no, not really, but maybe these were the only dates that Disney would allow. 99.00 a night for a Disney hotel is a bargain at any time of the year. Anyway, this has been planned for a long time and if you have ever had to plan a large scale event, then you will understand why it never goes as planned. You will also quickly learn how many people exist that want things their way and could care less about what works for the group as a whole. I think all things considered, this was an ok event. A lot of people worked very hard, endured excessive heat, volunteered to judge cars, and we should appreciate their dedication to the love of Mustangs and cars in general. My analogy of the complaining is that of those that are arm chair quarterbacks. From your vantage point you see so many better ways to do something, even yelling to the football player on TV who by no surprise, cannot hear you, but they see it differently and the play fails. You as the arm chair quarterback get angry and vow never to watch/support this team again. My question is, then why not be the quarterback? In this case, chair a show, be a judge, teach others how to judge and teach them what to look for. Share your passion positively rather than tell others why they don't know what they are doing. Complaining only makes you the problem, not the solution. Personally, it is the number of people complaining that ruin the event. This didn't go right, that wasn't right. I could only imagine what it would be like on this forum if every single post was a complaint about something or someone they didn't like. Some of you who read this may not like my take and some of you may agree. The bottom line is this and I learned it early in life: If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything. People will respect you more for the positive things you do in your life than the other way around.

My appreciation is with the clubs and the members that worked hard to get a venue that would offer so much to do while showing your car. Each of you endured multiple meetings, heat, complaints, heat, heat, and more heat. Thank you for your volunteerism.

To Sam, Jim, Vic, Tom, Joe, John, Matt, Clyde and the many non-Shelby owners I met this weekend that clearly love their cars and came for friendships, Thank You!! Even one of my neighbors that owns a GT500 and didn't enter a car drove the distance and came down! It made my day to see him come for the cars. You guys made this memorable and fun for me. Who knows, maybe I'll bring an Etch-a-sketch to the Amelia show as my gift to Sam so he can "take" pictures!! Next time, the breakfast burritos are on me!

I helped out judging 2007-09 Shelby Coupes. I assisted another judge with 9 cars. Took us almost 4 hours.

Parking was a major issue, especially on the show field. We walked around trying to find cars and found either the parking spots had been changed to different numbers or the cars weren't there at all. I've done many MCA shows, judging, and it would have been nice to have a layout map showing where certain numbers were. There were also less volunteers to help out judging, which complicated things as there were 550 cars on the show field.

As Sam said, parking at the Coronado was even worse, especially Saturday with the Dream Cars participants arriving. I had heard that the Mustangs at the Mickyard people had a trailer parking lot set up, but saw many parked in the hotel's parking lot taking up 5-8 spaces.

I personally had a great time and met some Team Shelby members when I arrived late Thursday night. Sorry I didn't get a chance to hook up with you guys! Saw a lot of really nice cars!

All in all, this was a good show! Taking home a 1st place Mickey trophy in Daily Driver. I am heading home tomorrow morning.

I will chime in and say I had a good time here. Yes it was hot. Yes this is Florida in Late August/Early September and it gets hot. Did I mention it was hot? Best time of the year to be on a tarmac? no, not really, but maybe these were the only dates that Disney would allow. 99.00 a night for a Disney hotel is a bargain at any time of the year. Anyway, this has been planned for a long time and if you have ever had to plan a large scale event, then you will understand why it never goes as planned. You will also quickly learn how many people exist that want things their way and could care less about what works for the group as a whole. I think all things considered, this was an ok event. A lot of people worked very hard, endured excessive heat, volunteered to judge cars, and we should appreciate their dedication to the love of Mustangs and cars in general. My analogy of the complaining is that of those that are arm chair quarterbacks. From your vantage point you see so many better ways to do something, even yelling to the football player on TV who by no surprise, cannot hear you, but they see it differently and the play fails. You as the arm chair quarterback get angry and vow never to watch/support this team again. My question is, then why not be the quarterback? In this case, chair a show, be a judge, teach others how to judge and teach them what to look for. Share your passion positively rather than tell others why they don't know what they are doing. Complaining only makes you the problem, not the solution. Personally, it is the number of people complaining that ruin the event. This didn't go right, that wasn't right. I could only imagine what it would be like on this forum if every single post was a complaint about something or someone they didn't like. Some of you who read this may not like my take and some of you may agree. The bottom line is this and I learned it early in life: If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything. People will respect you more for the positive things you do in your life than the other way around.

My appreciation is with the clubs and the members that worked hard to get a venue that would offer so much to do while showing your car. Each of you endured multiple meetings, heat, complaints, heat, heat, and more heat. Thank you for your volunteerism.

To Sam, Jim, Vic, Tom, Joe, John, Matt, Clyde and the many non-Shelby owners I met this weekend that clearly love their cars and came for friendships, Thank You!! Even one of my neighbors that owns a GT500 and didn't enter a car drove the distance and came down! It made my day to see him come for the cars. You guys made this memorable and fun for me. Who knows, maybe I'll bring an Etch-a-sketch to the Amelia show as my gift to Sam so he can "take" pictures!! Next time, the breakfast burritos are on me!

Really host a big event? Yes I have many events and all I have to say I treated everyone with respect. And if someone asked for water I would go out of my way to get them cold water.

I understand many people volunteered for this event and I applaud their efforts but there are a few that ruin it for the good ones and that my friend speaks volumes. Here are my issues and this I do not pin on Disney.

• They did not have my registration.
  • Told me to pull over to the side but no one was working on my information.
  • I produced a copy of my cancelled check and they did not believe the proof I provided.
  • The following day I was informed that they had me down as a cancellation. ( never did)

No Monday morning quarterbacking going on here just the facts in my case.

Many of my local Mustang club members attend every MCA National and Grand National each and every year.......my email, text messages and facebook accounts are flooded with comments of this being the worst show any of them have ever attended..

and Im being very nice......the comments are 100% in the negative.........EPIC FAIL is being quite nice IMO.

What a joke.

The funny thing is, there are always people who complain. There are always people who are not satisfied. If you were told to pound sand and never got registered after bringing the car, then I would understand how you feel. It sounds like the volunteers had to get everything straightened out. Remember, they volunteered to be there. Since it was an epic fail, perhaps car shows should be a relic of the past and you should no longer attend any. I am not pinning anything on anyone or any organization. These shows are what you make them. Good, Bad, or otherwise. I could find plenty to complain about if I chose to ruin it for everyone. Be a better person and make things better instead of being someone that just complains or validates through the number of other complaints that came your way. I attend events regularly that are not automotive related, I have yet to see even one go off without a hitch like a lost registration, or a cancelled room, or even food not planned appropriately. Could some things have gone better? Sure they could, but is your complaining and trashing of the volunteers and clubs that stepped up to find a great venue improving that? Absolutely not. What you are doing is making sure others don't want to do a show or an event because they don't want to have an "epic fail".

I'll say it again, and all of you that want to be negative and tell everyone how awful the car clubs were and how bad the MCA was, stop attending the shows. Clearly finding the good in the friendships made, the sight of the great cars, and getting to hit the Disney parks on top of a holiday weekend and other events simultaneously, then carry on since it makes you feel better and helps you validate putting down people who volunteer. I prefer to be positive, if this ruffles your feathers, then get over it. I am merely providing you with a mirror to look into and see how you are not making anything better by complaining. Become a Volunteer! Become an officer in your local car club. Become a Judge. Become an assistant Judge. Help improve all of the things you simply want to complain about. Be a solution and not a problem.

I had a great time. Thank you again to all that helped and to all that had their heart in the right place by hosting this show. This is what makes owning fun cars fun.

The funny thing is, there are always people who complain. There are always people who are not satisfied. If you were told to pound sand and never got registered after bringing the car, then I would understand how you feel. It sounds like the volunteers had to get everything straightened out. Remember, they volunteered to be there. Since it was an epic fail, perhaps car shows should be a relic of the past and you should no longer attend any. I am not pinning anything on anyone or any organization. These shows are what you make them. Good, Bad, or otherwise. I could find plenty to complain about if I chose to ruin it for everyone. Be a better person and make things better instead of being someone that just complains or validates through the number of other complaints that came your way. I attend events regularly that are not automotive related, I have yet to see even one go off without a hitch like a lost registration, or a cancelled room, or even food not planned appropriately. Could some things have gone better? Sure they could, but is your complaining and trashing of the volunteers and clubs that stepped up to find a great venue improving that? Absolutely not. What you are doing is making sure others don't want to do a show or an event because they don't want to have an "epic fail".

I'll say it again, and all of you that want to be negative and tell everyone how awful the car clubs were and how bad the MCA was, stop attending the shows. Clearly finding the good in the friendships made, the sight of the great cars, and getting to hit the Disney parks on top of a holiday weekend and other events simultaneously, then carry on since it makes you feel better and helps you validate putting down people who volunteer. I prefer to be positive, if this ruffles your feathers, then get over it. I am merely providing you with a mirror to look into and see how you are not making anything better by complaining. Become a Volunteer! Become an officer in your local car club. Become a Judge. Become an assistant Judge. Help improve all of the things you simply want to complain about. Be a solution and not a problem.

I had a great time. Thank you again to all that helped and to all that had their heart in the right place by hosting this show. This is what makes owning fun cars fun.

I guess you just don’t get it do you? Can you explain why they can drink the cold water in the cooler and not offer me one under the circumstance?

No you can’t because your too busy drinking the cool aid. I will voice my opinion especially when treated the way I was. I do get out and volunteer for many events and yes there are some challenges but they are addressed with courtesy and kindness.

I also had made new friends and meet with some really nice people this is what kept me at the event. Going forward the MCA will not miss me nor will I miss them. This does not prevent me from stating what had happen to me.

You call it complaining I call it constructive criticism.

It is constructive when you work to improve it by becoming involved in the organization. I don't volunteer for any of the shows, I simply lack the time or availability to do so. I also don't find every wrong in every event. I saw the same thing happen after the Asheville National and I couldn't help but think, why complain? It doesn't make it better.

I can't explain the water situation other than one person was extremely rude. Is it excusable? No and I do get it, but one issue become 3 issues, 3 issues becomes 9 issues. Maybe the person that said no purchased it and didn't have any more money, who knows? We don't know the income level of every participant or how much they gave up to get there. Why didn't you pack a cooler and bring hydration? There are a number of arguments that don't make any of this better. My point is that none of these events are perfect and some people will have a perfect event and other people will be at the short end of the stick. It happens. It's how we choose to react to it that matters. I spent at least 40-50 bucks on water from the Boy Scouts/Cub Scouts/Brownies walking around in the heat trying to raise money for their organizations. Expensive for water? Yes! It was for a decent cause and I didn't bring any in a cooler.

I will stop commenting here as it is clear to me that it frustrates you because I don't agree with you. I don't know you and don't know your situation personally, I do know many of us were there and experienced similar circumstances and didn't find the need to put down the organizations that hosted the show or the many people that gave countless hours planning and working in the heat to have the event. Maybe I don't belong since I choose not be negative. Is this what being a part of Team Shelby is now? You have to complain about the events you attend? If being positive is drinking the Kool-Aid, then I must be downing it by the gallon. Here is an idea, continue to put me down now since it makes you feel better. I'll just sit over here and take it because we must all agree with you. Feel better now? My opinion is unchanged and I have nothing against you or anyone on here. I had fun and it was because I chose to have fun.

Many of my local Mustang club members attend every MCA National and Grand National each and every year.......my email, text messages and facebook accounts are flooded with comments of this being the worst show any of them have ever attended..

and Im being very nice......the comments are 100% in the negative.........EPIC FAIL is being quite nice IMO.

What a joke.

Michael,

I have also attended every single MCA national/grand national for the past 4 years. Some have been simply awesome ( Mustang OK, Warwick RI, Pennsacola FL etc Indianapolis IN, Biltmore etc ...) The host clubs really make these events work and some just go over the top to make it a great event. This event will go down as the worst of all time mark my words. I was originally going to post details about it but choose to call it an EPIC FAIL and be polite and respectful. Those were not my first choice of words though. In fact there are two types of feedback for this show: all negative and some neutral. NONE are positive.

From venue selection to unfulfilled promises to rudeness to a total lack of communication to arrogance to well I think I've made my point. MCA did it's best to manage this disaster and a few host club members also did a 110% as well. I think blame lies solely on the host club and Disney. MCA did the best it could to salvage the disaster unfolding. My wife waited 2 + hours to enter the venue. You were not allowed to walk 100 yards to get in but had to wait in line to enter via shuttle bus. 15 people at a time, hundreds in line. Two hours- 100 yards. well planned out! I love the MCA and wish they would have more of role in venue planning and insist on it being reviewed by the national directors before leaving it up to the host clubs to decide on venue. What was the reason for even having it a track that you were not allowed to even drive on?? Well, unless you paid 1,000 for three laps as a passenger in an old retired worn out sprint cup car.

Again , kudos to MCA and the few club members who tried to help. They made a horrible event a bit more tolerable.

As far as Disney- It could burn to the ground and I wouldn't shed a tear.

It is constructive when you work to improve it by becoming involved in the organization. I don't volunteer for any of the shows, I simply lack the time or availability to do so. I also don't find every wrong in every event. I saw the same thing happen after the Asheville National and I couldn't help but think, why complain? It doesn't make it better.

I can't explain the water situation other than one person was extremely rude. Is it excusable? No and I do get it, but one issue become 3 issues, 3 issues becomes 9 issues. Maybe the person that said no purchased it and didn't have any more money, who knows? We don't know the income level of every participant or how much they gave up to get there. Why didn't you pack a cooler and bring hydration? There are a number of arguments that don't make any of this better. My point is that none of these events are perfect and some people will have a perfect event and other people will be at the short end of the stick. It happens. It's how we choose to react to it that matters. I spent at least 40-50 bucks on water from the Boy Scouts/Cub Scouts/Brownies walking around in the heat trying to raise money for their organizations. Expensive for water? Yes! It was for a decent cause and I didn't bring any in a cooler.

I will stop commenting here as it is clear to me that it frustrates you because I don't agree with you. I don't know you and don't know your situation personally, I do know many of us were there and experienced similar circumstances and didn't find the need to put down the organizations that hosted the show or the many people that gave countless hours planning and working in the heat to have the event. Maybe I don't belong since I choose not be negative. Is this what being a part of Team Shelby is now? You have to complain about the events you attend? If being positive is drinking the Kool-Aid, then I must be downing it by the gallon. Here is an idea, continue to put me down now since it makes you feel better. I'll just sit over here and take it because we must all agree with you. Feel better now? My opinion is unchanged and I have nothing against you or anyone on here. I had fun and it was because I chose to have fun.

We have left events and thought that it couldn't have gone better or been more friendly. I've attended 23 in the last 4+ years. This one was so bad it was inexcusable. After 2+ hours of pontificating prior to even awards being presented over 125 people got up and walked out, I'm sure you noticed that as well. No one knew what the hell was going on from start to finish. I love MCA nationals and will continue to attend them but this one was horrible and to have hundreds also come to the same independent conclusions ,well, that says something.

And yes I've been involved in shows that dwarf this one. think thousands of cars not hundreds with less than 5% of the issues here. I've judged thousands of cars at Carlise's GM nationals (judged 62 myself in a 12 hour period). I have some idea what is required. I've planned, revised and re planned things to account for every possible scenario. This lies on the host club officers and Disney itself. The problem started with venue choice. Trailer parking? what a joke! Oh and the promised laps on the track? I'm still waiting... How about three independent places to register, pick up park tickets and event tickets? It took us an entire day to track all the hoops we had to jump through to get everything. Not a single person knew anything, it was the same response " I dunno..." by dozens of club members. To say the execution was poor is being as polite as I can be.

Here is my sunshiney positive remark though- We met a really great couple from North Texas who went out of their way to help us with our trailer. Way above and beyond , in fact I was humbled by how willing they were to help us. So yes we did have a positive take a way from this event. Just not from anyone associated with it.

Thanks to all for your candid comments. It's nice to express your opinion openly without judgment. Well, maybe not...I feel like my opinion was not what some agreed with, so I must be on something.

I think expressing negativity in public does not improve things but merely attempts to ensure if you aren't happy, no one should be happy.

Here is my takeaway: Stop going to shows with my cars and introducing my son to the car hobby. There are too many that seek to take the fun in it away. Remember, you will never know the impact a smile can have on another person. The same goes with how you behave.

To all of you negative "me first" people: Thank you for showing me why I need to stop spending my money on car club memberships and fees for shows as clearly they must all be terrible for someone.

It saddens me to see that nothing can ever be good, even the love of the automobile. Very disappointing.

I had a good time! Sure, there were some headaches, and yes I can gripe with the best, but overall I'm OK with the weekend. And nope, I didn't have one ounce of Kool-Aid! (I did have, however, several Margaritas, a few beers, a couple of wine coolers, a cranberry juice with orange vodka, and about 200 gallons of water!)

Sam

Car events are becoming more difficult to arrange

I did not attend the event but initially planned on it but could not justify the cost.

This event was held in one city,close location between events.

I wonder how Sean (SMC Events) has kept his sanity with all the events he runs. . :drop:

After reading the last few pages I wonder if TS Ontario should think twice about hosting an event.

Plan an event that crosses an entire Country?, :drop: !

How do you please the masses?

What can we learn from this event to help future event holders?

This topic does raise questions. :runaway:

Archived