TEAM SHELBY FORUM

FRPP rear gear install frustration

TurboGT

To any of you that have installed FRPP gear in your 07-09 GT500's - were there any hiccups reported to you by your installer?

My car has been at the shop for 3 business days to have a 3.73 r&p set installed and they can't seem to get it right yet. I purchased the parts (FRPP gears and FRPP install kit) from a respected vendor and brought the parts (NIB) to the shop and have heard nothing but excuses about why it isn't done yet. I've heard everything from "missing parts", "FRPP instructions were wrong", "Ford tech support giving us bad info", "gears are noisy & we had to take it apart", blah, blah, blah.....

The worst part is the car is all the way on the other side of town so I can't just drop in and see WTF they are doing. This is one of the reasons I do 99% of my own work - because I just haven't found anyone who I can consistently trust to fix or install something without a litany of excuses of why it's not done right and on time.

As you can tell, right now I am so frustrated I want to go load the car on a trailer and tell them to go pound sand!!!!! :banghead:

Sorry for the rant, but I hope I get the car back today and will not be using this shop again. :soapbox:

i feel your pain man.

i took my last car to the local gear guru, everybody said he was the best.

when i got it back two days after the promised delivery date, the rear brakes were dragging because he didn't take the time to clean the sliders up when he reassembled the brakes

a year later the gear whine was so bad i took it apart myself and installed a new set of gears that were silent until the day i sold the car 4 years later

oh, and not to mention my "rebuilt" trac loc was a one legged monster just one season after this so called expert "rebuilt everything"

morale of the story:

don't always believe in the "expert" you may actually know more than they do

So the guy just called to say he's delivering the car to me later today. Since I already made two 3 hour round trips - once to drop it off and once to try to pick it up & it wasn't ready - it seems reasonable for him to offer. However, letting someone else drive my car without me is like letting someone sleep with my wife - I'd rather :hammer_self:

Hopefully he got it right (fingers crossed)!

Sorry to hear about what you're going through . I would take it for a drive with the guy in the car before handing over payment . As far as the other issues - posts pics of wife and we'll see if we agree . :hysterical:

Well, she's finally home - both the car and my wife and only the car spent the weekend with another guy :hysterical2: .

After a short test drive everything seems OK. FRPP says no WOT for the first 150 miles during break in, but I can already tell the car should be considerably quicker. From what I can tell under easy throttle they seem to have gotten the lash right. There's no gear noise under acceleration and only slight noise when coasting - basically the same as it was with the factory 3.31. Will see what it does over the next couple weeks and hopefully will break in smoothly. Will ask the wife if it's OK to post pics first - last time I did without asking the line stretched around the block!

Well it sounds like a good start - you might want to give her a little extra attention , treat her to a warm bath , and take her out the next couple of nights to make sure that everything is alright ! ( you know I'm talking about the car - right ).

Well, she's finally home - both the car and my wife and only the car spent the weekend with another guy :hysterical2: .

After a short test drive everything seems OK. FRPP says no WOT for the first 150 miles during break in, but I can already tell the car should be considerably quicker. From what I can tell under easy throttle they seem to have gotten the lash right. There's no gear noise under acceleration and only slight noise when coasting - basically the same as it was with the factory 3.31. Will see what it does over the next couple weeks and hopefully will break in smoothly. Will ask the wife if it's OK to post pics first - last time I did without asking the line stretched around the block!

For future reference, who did the work?

• 3 months later...

Turbo GT,

Next time give Larry Day a shot, or call him if you are having any problems. He is an SVT tech that only works on Mustangs and Shelbys, and really knows his stuff. Let me know if you want his number - he is in the North Atlanta area so convenient to you as well.

Andy.

Archived