TEAM SHELBY FORUM

$100 Off Shelby Blue Watts Link - Coupe or Convertible!

Jer

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jim Fay makes our Watts Link, and has a GREAT bunch of info on his site - I'd do you a disservice if I tried to paraphrase or simplify. Here's a link to the full story, and click on the links on that page, too:

http://www.fays2.net...s_link_22_.html

I WILL say this, and I often do: My supercharger, brakes, and Watts link are the three best things I ever did to my car. It's not a "minor difference" or "only for the track", it corrects some of the inherently compromised basic geometry of the car. I recommend it for any car, every time. I noticed it backing out of my driveway after the install (and my brain doesn't play tricks on me, I'm an experienced comparison-thinker, not easily fooled, and if I spend $700 on something and feel no change, I fess up... LOL)

As for installation, it's not difficult, but if you're a guy who throws away the manual and just plunges forward, you'll be dead meat. This is basic geometry, but you need to take your time and follow the directions. Don't rush, and don't get it "close enough". You'll want to be meticulous. Call me with questions, I know my way around these pretty well, and can explain a few ways to help with your install, I've developed a few great tips of my own... and Jim Fay, BTW, is ALWAYS willing to help, answers his phone consistently, even on the weekends (sorry, Jim!) and has GREAT customer service.

BTW, if you still have the original non-adjustable Panhard rod on your lowered car (like every Shelby GT shipped with from the factory), this corrects the axle-centering issue, too.

Jer

Wow I feel lied to. The title says $100 off. That is not the case. It is $100.01 off. Regardless, still not in the budget. One day I will get it....one day

:hysterical:

Jer

Jim Fay makes our Watts Link, and has a GREAT bunch of info on his site - I'd do you a disservice if I tried to paraphrase or simplify. Here's a link to the full story, and click on the links on that page, too:

http://www.fays2.net...s_link_22_.html

I WILL say this, and I often do: My supercharger, brakes, and Watts link are the three best things I ever did to my car. It's not a "minor difference" or "only for the track", it corrects some of the inherently compromised basic geometry of the car. I recommend it for any car, every time. I noticed it backing out of my driveway after the install (and my brain doesn't play tricks on me, I'm an experienced comparison-thinker, not easily fooled, and if I spend $700 on something and feel no change, I fess up... LOL)

As for installation, it's not difficult, but if you're a guy who throws away the manual and just plunges forward, you'll be dead meat. This is basic geometry, but you need to take your time and follow the directions. Don't rush, and don't get it "close enough". You'll want to be meticulous. Call me with questions, I know my way around these pretty well, and can explain a few ways to help with your install, I've developed a few great tips of my own... and Jim Fay, BTW, is ALWAYS willing to help, answers his phone consistently, even on the weekends (sorry, Jim!) and has GREAT customer service.

BTW, if you still have the original non-adjustable Panhard rod on your lowered car (like every Shelby GT shipped with from the factory), this corrects the axle-centering issue, too.

Jer

I agree with Jer 100%

I went up to North Carolina with other Shelby owners last week and we drove over 600 miles in two days. A lot of mountain road two lane driving. I noticed the difference with the watts link many a time and KNOW it is one of the best mods I have done thus far. I still need to change the LCA's and it is next on my list.

This might be a dumb question but does it replace the panhard bar or work in conjunction with it?

Also I note one of the reviewers says to make sure to use a shallower diff cover. Is that necessary, if so I'd need a suggestion as to what would be suitable please.

I read that review as well and it stopped me from buying it. I have the Shelby rear diff cover and I assume by his comment that it will not work with the Shelby rear diff cover.

Another person commented it was the same as the regual Watts link but with just Shelby's name on it. But I read that Jer said the Shelby one is different and to ask him how he knows its different.........Jer how is it different?

I want to buy the watts link please verify if it will work with the Shelby diff cover and explain the differences between the ShelbyWatts one and the regular Watts one.

Thanks

The SPP watts linkage is shorter in height as Jer mentioned , to clear a rear sway bar . The SPP unit has a 3 hole adjustment while the taller Fays2 unit has 7 holes , and neither of them will clear the SPP or FRPP cast differential cover. The SPP comes in blue while the ones from Jim Fays come in either red or black . Some have taken their aftermarket rear sway bars and flipped them over to gain clearance to the 7 hole unit . I have installed several and can say that the SPP 3 hole works great and DOES clear the KR diff cover ! The watts linkage replaces the panard bar and support brace . Hope that this helps.

I'm still thinking that, before going this route, if ever, I'd rather upgrade my upper control arm / bracket. Also, I'd like to replace my J&M lower control arms with the Shelby units, which were not available when I got the J&m's. I don't want anything on my car that's not "Shelby" labeled, except of course the original Ford Racing parts.

Correct on the diff covers. I have a GT500KR cover on mine.

Jer

Yes, stock diff cover also works fine.

Jer

Stock. You're all set. I had my stock on with a Watts for a few years, no issues. I only recently installed a KR version cover because I was changing out my gears, so I was gonna be "in there anyway", and wanted one that cooled better, was stronger, and had fill and drain holes built-in. Plus, it was a cool, unique Shelby part, and I'm always a sucker for the details.

BTW, I truly believe the phrase "There are no stupid questions".

This site exists as a community for Shelby aficinados to enjoy the brand together, swap tech talk, "bench race", etc... It's for keeping the passion alive.

I've learned a TON on this site over the years, and continue to every day! There's a reason I sometimes break up immature or rude behavior on this site - I expect a higher level of play, unlike other Mustang or sports car sites where people behave like idiots.

Jer

Ok so I can keep my stock diff cover & delete the adjustable panhard bar from my wish list.

What else will I be taking off in order to do the swap?

Thanks for the answers so far guys :)

It's truly a great upgrade, you will love it.

Jer

Ok, Originally I put this in the shout box, But felt it was to much to answer in a shout box. So I deleted it.

I currently have a 2013 GT500 with the track pack options. My questions are.

Has anyone installed the Shelby Fays2 watts link on a 2013?

Is there any clearance issues with any of the differential lines or cooling fins on the 2013?

What clearance issues are there with the sway bar if any? Any other issues not mentioned?

I plan on lowering the car 1to 1 1/2 inches, will this cause any issues?

I know I know, I have issues, But what the heck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

You can call Jim Fay to verify on particular models , the stock 12 will fit but I think that with the "SVTPP" package you must use his "Low Profile " pivot bolt and have LCA's which are either adjustable or poly/heim ended for less deflection - it gets really close ! CALL JIM to VERIFY !

My build had the Fays2 included and it's red.

It also had the Ford Racing differential cover installed to the upgraded Torsen unit.

There was a slight clearance issue at first as the the vent hose got knocked off the rear differential under certain conditions.

We screwed the vent tube further into the differential cover and the problem was solved.

Archived