TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Alternator fun.....

thewheelman

Spring has sprung and wife and I jumped in the GT 500 to go grab an early supper Wednesday night. It was very pleasant and had the top down, great afternoon cruise. About half-way to dinner the radio suddenly went off. The sun was shining bright so I could barely see the read out, but finally managed to see "low battery" and "check traction control". Hmmm, maybe I do know what they whining was I've been hearing the last couple of days. I thought it was just getting used to the sound of the engine again after not having the top down for so long..... I pulled over to check the read-out again and the windows went down.....and stayed. Top wouldn't go up, no blinkers, no gauges. So, I headed for the local Ford dealer--about 3 miles past our dinner choice--and boy was I glad I did. I pulled in under the service cover and one of the techs was standing out there. I told him what it was doing and he said, yep, alternator's gone. About that time it died. We were very fortunate! I can only imagine having one of the locals tow my car.....even with the special instructions in the owner's manual, I'd bet my bottom dollar they'd bugger up something! They pushed it back into the shop and said they'd call me. Thank goodness the ESP covers it at $100 deductible! I'm pretty sure the days of the $49.99 alternator are long gone. That was Wed. they thought they'd have it done Thursday, then they called and said the part was back ordered and they should have it today...........nothing today from them. I started to suggest SPP had one for $259.......if they don't have it by Monday, I'm going to suggest the call Shelby!

I guess I missed out on the discussion about the alternator failures on these beasts........

Service Manager is a real comedian--he said, "We can replace the alternator, but we'll have to put the old clutch back in." I wasn't amused!

Spring has sprung and wife and I jumped in the GT 500 to go grab an early supper Wednesday night. It was very pleasant and had the top down, great afternoon cruise. About half-way to dinner the radio suddenly went off. The sun was shining bright so I could barely see the read out, but finally managed to see "low battery" and "check traction control". Hmmm, maybe I do know what they whining was I've been hearing the last couple of days. I thought it was just getting used to the sound of the engine again after not having the top down for so long..... I pulled over to check the read-out again and the windows went down.....and stayed. Top wouldn't go up, no blinkers, no gauges. So, I headed for the local Ford dealer--about 3 miles past our dinner choice--and boy was I glad I did. I pulled in under the service cover and one of the techs was standing out there. I told him what it was doing and he said, yep, alternator's gone. About that time it died. We were very fortunate! I can only imagine having one of the locals tow my car.....even with the special instructions in the owner's manual, I'd bet my bottom dollar they'd bugger up something! They pushed it back into the shop and said they'd call me. Thank goodness the ESP covers it at $100 deductible! I'm pretty sure the days of the $49.99 alternator are long gone. That was Wed. they thought they'd have it done Thursday, then they called and said the part was back ordered and they should have it today...........nothing today from them. I started to suggest SPP had one for $259.......if they don't have it by Monday, I'm going to suggest the call Shelby!

I guess I missed out on the discussion about the alternator failures on these beasts........

Service Manager is a real comedian--he said, "We can replace the alternator, but we'll have to put the old clutch back in." I wasn't amused!

:hysterical2::hysterical2:

For a service manager to be a comedian is funny...

Sorry you had trouble, but glad you were not stranded.

Archived