TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Raptor Debuts

Ford to show special edition Raptor on April 9

Apr 1st 2013 3:59 PM EDT

BY Jonathon Ramsey

fordsupercrewraptor.jpg

There are precious few details, but what we do know is that Ford will be revealing images of "appearance upgrades" for a special-edition 2014 F-150 SVT Raptor on April 9. The slideshow will happen during a Motor Press Guild luncheon at Ford's Design Center Showroom in Irvine, California.

Without photos or further details, we're left to wonder about the extent of these changes, but aren't expecting anything too significant given the venue. Ford is understood to be revealing a next-generation F-150 with a big weight loss ? as much as 700 pounds ? for 2014, though it isn't yet clear if that's the truck's model year or simply its on-sale year. For at least a couple of years, Ford forums have been suggesting changes will come with the 2014 Raptor, so there could still be a bigger surprise in store. Either way, we'll know what all this means in a little more than a week. The press release below has the official details, but for the moment, we'll content ourselves by ogling the 2013 model above.

Show full PR text

Ford Debuts Special Edition Raptor at Motor Press Guild Luncheon

LOS ANGELES, April 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- On April 9, 2013, Ford will debut images of the 2014 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor Special Edition with new appearance upgrades at the Motor Press Guild (MPG) luncheon held at Ford Motor Company Design Center Showroom in Irvine. Since the first Ford Model T car with a modified rear body rolled off the assembly line in 1925, Ford Motor Company has been on the forefront of defining the American pickup truck. More than 80 years later, Ford Truck Group Marketing manager, Doug Scott will discuss the company's current position in the truck category and provide an exclusive preview of the new Raptor

http://m.autoblog.com/2013/04/01/ford-to-show-special-edition-raptor-on-april-9/?post=1&icid=autoblog_river_article

Here is what a Shelby looks like sitting next to a Raptor in the same color.

2013Shelby-Raptor_zps0eeed4ff.jpg

That's cool!

Some of you are spoofing my comments umm, read what I said did I say the Raptor couldn't tow NO so the jokes are quite naive I'm just commenting because a few were complaining about its towing capabilities... with that HP and suspension why would you wanna tow anything

I think the Raptor is great but it should of had about another 3" of lift. Down here in south FL where every other truck is a lifted Super-Duty I was at the opposite light of a Raptor a few days ago when a 2010 or 2011 F250 Super-Duty with at least 10" of lift pulled up next to it and the Raptor looked very out of place

I think the Raptor is great but it should of had about another 3" of lift. Down here in south FL where every other truck is a lifted Super-Duty I was at the opposite light of a Raptor a few days ago when a 2010 or 2011 F250 Super-Duty with at least 10" of lift pulled up next to it and the Raptor looked very out of place

You're comparing apples and oranges.

The Raptor is designed as "a street legal DESERT racer" made for high speed over rough terrain AND streetability.

A lifted 4x4 is designed (& lifted) to gain ground clearance (to avoid high centers) with big tires added to gain axle clearance to avoid rocks catching your axles.

That's also why the Raptor has loads of suspension travel and lower curb height as opposed to the limited travel of a *typical* lifted 4 wheeler.

Two different animals.

I take on that "F250 Super-Duty with at least 10" of lift" in the Desert any day of the week...Money runs only, inquire within. But I'd never even think about racing him over a boulder field or up a rocky hillside.

And like someone else said, your road worthiness would be thrown out the door with a lifted Raptor. I already have to use the running board to get into my Raptor.

Phill

You're comparing apples and oranges.

The Raptor is designed as "a street legal DESERT racer" made for high speed over rough terrain AND streetability.

A lifted 4x4 is designed (& lifted) to gain ground clearance (to avoid high centers) with big tires added to gain axle clearance to avoid rocks catching your axles.

That's also why the Raptor has loads of suspension travel and lower curb height as opposed to the limited travel of a *typical* lifted 4 wheeler.

Two different animals.

I take on that "F250 Super-Duty with at least 10" of lift" in the Desert any day of the week...Money runs only, inquire within. But I'd never even think about racing him over a boulder field or up a rocky hillside.

And like someone else said, your road worthiness would be thrown out the door with a lifted Raptor. I already have to use the running board to get into my Raptor.

Phill

Ditto.

I grew up in Southern Illinois where the main fun was muddin' and trail crawling through the woods. During the winters you had to have a lifted 4x4 to get through the snow drifts. I've always had lifted trucks, even here in the desert. They are great for rock crawling but that's about it. Rode worse than a tank and were a pain in the a$$ to get in, I have 2 multi level fusions.

Traded in my last truck for a Raptor, what a difference!!! I've run 60+ mph through the desert and it feels like your in a Caddy on the interstate. Lower to the ground but a lot more suspension travel. I'll never get another lifted truck again, gonna do the high perch mod to the Raptor though. B)

gonna do the high perch mod to the Raptor though. B)

I may do that to mine too. It's cheap enough.

I had a lifted 4x4 and I know exactly what you mean about the ride. It'll beat you to death at high speed.

Phill

20130405_124526_zps3c28e10b.jpg

Man, I really want a FRPP light bar and lights like you have on your truck but I know the minute I put them on, some little fucktard around here would steal them.

My truck sits outside, pulled up against my 3rd stall garage door so MAYBE that'd keep them from getting to them...Until the first time I parked it with space between the truck and door.

We live in a real nice neighborhood surrounded by real bad neighborhoods and our cars are subject to intrusion. That's about the only thing they do, get into (mostly unlocked) cars and steal whatever they can get their grubby little hands on. Hell, they got my wife's GPS in her unlocked Mercedes ML...INSIDE MY GARAGE!!! (left the WS mount and charging cord, stole the garage door remote too!). I *still* don't know how they got into my garage but my suspicion is via the side man-door so now it has a 2x6 wedged up against the door handle. I think they slipped a card in the lock and got it open because my dog would'a heard the garage door opening if they came in that way (or closing, as it was closed when they got into her car).

Can you somehow lock the nuts that bolt the lights on the bar? I could lock-tite the snot out of the bar bolts to make it as hard as possible for them to get it off but then the little shits will just cut my Cat Converter off and steal THAT! <lol>

Phill

Man, I really want a FRPP light bar and lights like you have on your truck but I know the minute I put them on, some little fucktard around here would steal them.

My truck sits outside, pulled up against my 3rd stall garage door so MAYBE that'd keep them from getting to them...Until the first time I parked it with space between the truck and door.

We live in a real nice neighborhood surrounded by real bad neighborhoods and our cars are subject to intrusion. That's about the only thing they do, get into (mostly unlocked) cars and steal whatever they can get their grubby little hands on. Hell, they got my wife's GPS in her unlocked Mercedes ML...INSIDE MY GARAGE!!! (left the WS mount and charging cord, stole the garage door remote too!). I *still* don't know how they got into my garage but my suspicion is via the side man-door so now it has a 2x6 wedged up against the door handle. I think they slipped a card in the lock and got it open because my dog would'a heard the garage door opening if they came in that way (or closing, as it was closed when they got into her car).

Can you somehow lock the nuts that bolt the lights on the bar? I could lock-tite the snot out of the bar bolts to make it as hard as possible for them to get it off but then the little shits will just cut my Cat Converter off and steal THAT! <lol>

Phill

Yes, there is a locking nut I just can't remember the name on them and basically they'd need a blow torch to steal them. However, I'm pretty sure if you ever have to remove them you will need to replace them as they are kinda like rivets made to use once.

Or put them on with an impact socket and no one by hand is undoing them

Ditto.

I grew up in Southern Illinois where the main fun was muddin' and trail crawling through the woods. During the winters you had to have a lifted 4x4 to get through the snow drifts. I've always had lifted trucks, even here in the desert. They are great for rock crawling but that's about it. Rode worse than a tank and were a pain in the a$$ to get in, I have 2 multi level fusions.

Traded in my last truck for a Raptor, what a difference!!! I've run 60+ mph through the desert and it feels like your in a Caddy on the interstate. Lower to the ground but a lot more suspension travel. I'll never get another lifted truck again, gonna do the high perch mod to the Raptor though. B)

I had a 2008 F350 Harley Davidson Super Duty 4-door with the 6.8 V10 so it was a big ol' thing and only thing I changed to the ride was get rid of factory tires and replace with Explorer Pro Comp 35" Extreme All-Terrains and this thing drove smoother than a Caddy!! A few trips from south Florida to Dallas proved this fact. Only complaint was it is a gas sucker but I knew that before I bought it and I installed a Banks Monster exhaust and it improved gas mileage just a wee bit lmao but gave extra power and sound was awesome. Anyone who has had a top of the line Super Duty know these things are like Mercedes with everything and would have kept the truck but due to unforeseen death in family things changed and just wasn't using it anymore. Trust me, I'd like to go get a Raptor right now and in NO way am I knocking them I think the Raptor is one of the best 10 vehicles period but spending that amount with no use for the bed is not ideal for me.

Enjoy your Raptors... personally FORD should have called the new 5.0 engine Raptor instead of Coyote

Or put them on with an impact socket and no one by hand is undoing them

You'd be surprised at what a thief will do if s/he wants something bad enough.

A friend had a '70 Firebird Formula RA-III (I ended up with it) that they cut the whole center section of the dash out of to get his stereo.

Another in a '70 Monte Carlo had the center of his drivers seat cut out so they could get the amp out from under the seat (the seat had to be removed to get it out right).

I ALARMED garage door had all but the outside edges of it cut out to get the Harley inside of his garage.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

I'd rather lose ~$1000 worth of lights than $5,000 worth of front end or frame!

The trick is to make it *difficult* for them to steal, not impossible. A determined thief will ruin everything around the item he's trying to steal. One not so determined will move on to the easier pickings.

I've seen a lot of crazy shit get done just to get a stinkin' stereo out of a car. The little bastards broke a $200 side window out of my old 4x4 just to get a lousy 10 dollar CB out of it. They steal $1000 worth of back-flow valve for $35 worth of scrap metal (from our HOA sprinkler system). I'd give 'em the stinkin' 35 bucks just to leave the G-DAMN thing alone!

I hate thieves.

Phill

I had a 2008 F350 Harley Davidson Super Duty 4-door with the 6.8 V10 so it was a big ol' thing and only thing I changed to the ride was get rid of factory tires and replace with Explorer Pro Comp 35" Extreme All-Terrains and this thing drove smoother than a Caddy!! A few trips from south Florida to Dallas proved this fact. Only complaint was it is a gas sucker but I knew that before I bought it and I installed a Banks Monster exhaust and it improved gas mileage just a wee bit lmao but gave extra power and sound was awesome. Anyone who has had a top of the line Super Duty know these things are like Mercedes with everything and would have kept the truck but due to unforeseen death in family things changed and just wasn't using it anymore. Trust me, I'd like to go get a Raptor right now and in NO way am I knocking them I think the Raptor is one of the best 10 vehicles period but spending that amount with no use for the bed is not ideal for me.

I had a 2011 F-150 4x4 King Ranch SuperCrew I traded in on the 2012 F-150 SCrew Raptor so I have a apples/apples comparison. The King Ranch is top of the line with only a Platinum topping it.

My Raptor drives nicer/smoother than my King Ranch did. The KR had a 3.5L V-6 Ecoboost in it that was supposed to get some kind of spectacular fuel mileage but on a trip to Cali and back (to CO) I got mid 12's, driving the posted limits. My 6.2L V-8 Raptor gets just above 13 on the highway (just under 12 in town) and that was in a wicked Kansas headwind.

Both had the same size bed (5.5') with a bed extender too.

The KR had the 20" optional wheels/tires too. The ride wasn't MUCH worse, but it was slightly harsher on potted roads (typical of Colorado roads due to the weather/snow).

I'll take a Raptor over a F-150 any day. It WAS NOT a Super Duty so that may be the difference in our experiences.

Phill

Phill

Mi amigo Phil.....I dont know if you did but be careful with the rear door gate. I had a F250 before and it was stolen three times. The thieves take that gate in 10 seconds.....My Raptor has a lock in the wedges and besides I always check that is locked.

Jorge