TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Raptor Debuts

still not a fan of them keeping our take-off parts charging us full price for new ones then they sell our take-off parts, umm something wrong here... like on my 2013 GT350, I bought the car and then took it to Shelby for the package so existing parts are mine, hence why this is B.S.

Sad, but I got answers to some of my questions on the Ford Raptor Forum, not the Team Shelby forum....

Still no word on the rear window banner but I appear to be the minority in liking it.

Phill

It's Easter, how quick of a response do you expect?

And I love the rear window banner. I hope it makes it to the SPP for the masses.

:hysterical2::hysterical2:

Politics aside, I think its a good looking truck. The SC is a great add.

Too bad the Raptors don't tow very well. Guess you can't have it all.

Well done SA. Great truck.

I don't have a problem towing anything with mine. I am going to a bigger trailer hence that is why I am getting a crew cab. I need the extra towing capacity.

Boss Hoss is a regular over at Ford Raptor Forums. He is coming across pretty bad on this site, but he is right about FRF thread bashing the build.

http://www.fordraptor.com/f5/shelby-raptor-575-hp-debut-today-22574/

I knew it was gonna go in that direction knowing the members there. Raptor owners on the forum are VERY outspoken type A guys. I tried to set the mood and prepare everyone there to be in the right mindset for the announcement. ....I would say I did not get the desired results.

I could keep replying trying to defend the business model, but as I have found here, if people dont get it, they wont get it with any additional explanation.

I will only add that what HE and many members there wanted to see was some super Trophy truck model that would have cost 60-80k and Shelby would have got about 3 sales out of it.

The reason HIS wishlist WILL NOT EVER work is lost on his viewpoint. I have been to Raptor events, seen 100s of Raptors....the number of Raptors I have seen built up like what Boss and friends want? TWO. Thats it. TWO. Out of hundreds. And did they sign up for some cookie cutter package? Nope, because any raptor that is going to go through that much modification, an owner is going to want to be extremely customized to their EXACT specs. Just ask SPRSNK. He knew every single modification he wanted for his build, and it wasnt the same thing the company did on their Raptor. This would have been a logistical nightmare for Shelby, time and labor prohibitive, and doing work they have no experience in doing. It would have been a disaster to even try it.

Did Shelby do the right thing? Abso F-in lutely. No question about it. Im not crazy about one of the grahics packages, but thats a personal taste, and the stripe packages give you what you would or could expect for a Shelby Raptor to look like.

Shelby took the mods they KNOW, do day in and day out, and offered that them at a reasonable price. Did I say reasonable price? Yes, very much so. I figure 10k for tune, CAI, and SC which you would pay at ANY mod shop with install. 1k for exhaust, 4k for Shelby interior and gauges, and under 3k for graphics and Shelby naming...thats reasonable. Its cheaper than Henessey by a long shot.

I know, Im a homer when it comes to SA, but so what. My argument is 100% accurate and true. Thats why FRF gets one defense post from me, and thats it. Here it doesnt really need defense. People here for the most part get it.

I will concede to you Boss, as I consider you my FRF friend and mean no disrespect to you or your opinion this:

Just like Shelby owners that are active and do track events, Raptor owners that are FRF active and do Raptor events will have an expectation for modifications that are representative of about 5% market share. In math terms- If there are 10k Raptors, FRF active member base of about 500 have a completely different mindset for what they want from their Raptors. The other 9500 are folks that bought them because they are cool, drive them on their ranch or county roads, and just like having a truck that is comfortable and capable. Many Shelby owners here HAVE Raptors, but are not active FRF members. This build is for the 95%, and more specifically Shelby owners who can have a BAD ASS Raptor haul their Shelby track car to an event. Its NOT for the 14 guys that think their Raptor could win them the Baja 1000 if they just change every single part on the truck except the frame.

That said, your comments about Carroll are out of line sir. Let's not do that. You could have simply said you didnt like it, or it should have had more offroad aspect to it.

Shelby did their market research, and you are the minority. Thats just the way it is, and if you cant understand a publicly traded company that puts itself in the best position to make the most sales, you have no business criticizing their business model.

I have said it before- perhaps Ford, GM, Chrysler and the modders can just lay off their entire marketing and research divisions, because you cant scroll a single page of a thread on car forums without finding experts in those fields from those with ZERO experience in those fields.

I somehow got roped into a back and forth on the Raptor forum for no apparent reason other than thinking maybe he just didnt understand...

But its honestly like trying to explain evolution to a creationist...

I agree with Vapordude, the towing capability of my first Raptor,a 2010 supercab 6.2 pulled my 18 foot fully enclosed cargo trailer withh 2Kawasaki KFX700s with all our gear etc down from B.C.Canada,to the Sand Dunes in Coos Bay,Oregon without us even knowing it was behind us(even when we were cruising well over the posted speed. The 2012 crewcab i now have has an even bigger tow capacity! Its one of the best tow vehiclies that i have ever had!

I stand corrected.

The ones that I have seen locally towing something all seem to sag on the back end really bad.

Is there an adjustment , air or something that helps reduce the sagging rear??

I stand corrected.

The ones that I have seen locally towing something all seem to sag on the back end really bad.

Is there an adjustment , air or something that helps reduce the sagging rear??

There are no adjustments. The rear end was built for up and down travel. That is why there is 13 inches of travel back there. I think Deavors makes a sprint that will help that and keep the travel. I may end up doing that if this new one sqwats too bad with the Shelby inside.

There are no adjustments. The rear end was built for up and down travel. That is why there is 13 inches of travel back there.

I see MAYBE 4 inches of space between my snubber and frame (on the rear axle) so the travel is mostly in the 'up' direction (i.e. Extension) on the rear.

I figure that's also why the Raptor is so notorious for nose dive on hard/quick braking, because the nose DOES have compression travel and the rear has so much extension travel. The nose compresses and the rear extends so much it's VERY noticeable, on a quick hard (panic) stop. I've noticed it on only about 2 or 3 occasions because I don't typically go around waiting for the last second to stomp on the brakes.

I have a 24' Carson Fun Runner (Toy Hauler) and I haven't tried to tow it yet but have been hearing all of the stories of how badly the Raptor sags when loaded. I have a weight distribution type of hitch so I'm not *too* worried about it (it transfers a bunch of weight to the front tires of the tow vehicle).

Phill

The guys on the Raptor forum claim Deavers solves most of the problems there, and also helps off road as well.

They were wanting to see more engine refinement than supercharging as that doesnt do much for offroad performance. They also wanted to see suspension upgrades, but like I told them, Shelby has a package that appeals to the widest of marketshare, and then options like suspension and engine upgrades Im sure the Shelby Performance Shop would be happy to add to the raptor.

They were wanting to see more engine refinement than supercharging as that doesnt do much for offroad performance. They also wanted to see suspension upgrades, but like I told them, Shelby has a package that appeals to the widest of marketshare, and then options like suspension and engine upgrades Im sure the Shelby Performance Shop would be happy to add to the raptor.

Yeah, I've been watching the thread. I think you're being too kind by saying "they"....More like, "he".

You're fighting a no-win battle. It's like politics or religion, you're not going to change his mind and he's not going to change yours so........Why bother???

Phill

No problem, you are correct on the rear end going lower,but it is not a problem with the towing aspect. There are small kinda bumpstops on the rear leafsprings so it only goes to there and no further down. It just firms the suspension up a little in the rear, and it certainly dosent effect the ride in most situations. I have seen a kit out there somewhere for the Raptor so you can add air bags as well to correct the height to your preference level.

One of the guys who tows a 28 foot enclosed trailer up to Bandimere that I see quite a bit with his golf cart, car, and many other things, made a really cool set of removable air bags that he pops in when towing the big trailer, and can pop them right out when not, so still has full suspension travel. Pretty cool set up. He has no problems towing that trailer up the mountain. It also has a hefty weight distribution hitch. His truck is pretty darn level when towing.

No problem, you are correct on the rear end going lower,but it is not a problem with the towing aspect. There are small kinda bumpstops on the rear leafsprings so it only goes to there and no further down. It just firms the suspension up a little in the rear, and it certainly dosent effect the ride in most situations. I have seen a kit out there somewhere for the Raptor so you can add air bags as well to correct the height to your preference level.

Guess I am just used to my Super Duty.

Hardly ever notice that there is a trailer behind it when I tow.

Maybe we will see a Shelby Super Duty next. :stirpot:

I also use a weight distribution hitch and there are no problems towing mine. At least when I had the open trailer. Now I have an enclosed trailer, there was no problems getting it home with the 2010 SCAB, around 60 miles through hills. I'll have to see how it handles with the new SCREW and with the Shelby inside the trailer.

The new truck at the dealer.

20130403_121837_zpsb074922f.jpg

20130403_121759_zpsa7d84133.jpg

some of you seem to be knocking the Raptor for trailering concerns, umm then you are buying the wrong truck!! You want to haul something get a Super Duty but if FUN is the word then by all means buy a Raptor but to be having concerns over its hauling abilities, shut up

This truck is built to go off-road or just about anything you want to do and actually how many times you will be towing in one year, exactly here's a tissue

I agree with what the Raptor was designed and to be used for, however a majority of owners want them for all round use and not a huge amount of people will take them to off road trails for them to be in their natural habitat!!!! Lol! We all love the truck for what it is and just have tolive with any shortcomings it might have! As of writing this i am just waiting for Roush to send my Ford dealer the ECU back so they can test my Raptor with its new 590 hp roushcharger!!!! I just cant wait!

True 39, I though using a performance vehicle as a tow vehicle went out in the '70s, like this:

Oh heck no! This is me back in about 1995 when I picked up my Short Wheelbase Thunderbird body out in Lincoln, NE. I was young, didn't have a truck (actually I did have my '93 Lighning, but didn't want to drive it in cold and snow at the time). So why not cut a hole in the bumper of my mustang, drop a ball in there, hook up the trailer and drive 475 miles from Denver to Lincoln. I never thought you could get a 5.0 Mustang get 9 mpg on the highway, you can! Yea, probably not the smartest thing I've ever done. :hysterical:

swb001trailer1.jpg

Sorry to get off topic, it's just a dang funny picture.

Edited by JeffJ

some of you seem to be knocking the Raptor for trailering concerns, umm then you are buying the wrong truck!! You want to haul something get a Super Duty but if FUN is the word then by all means buy a Raptor but to be having concerns over its hauling abilities, shut up

This truck is built to go off-road or just about anything you want to do and actually how many times you will be towing in one year, exactly here's a tissue

Damn.

Mine has a "towing package" with a Class III (or is it IV) hitch, integrated ABS trailer braking and anti-sway controls, 'tow/haul' transmission programming (IIRC) and rear view camera zoom controls for hitching up. The truck also has a 8000+ pound towing capacity, according to everything I read.

I would'a *swore* they put all of that on there for towing.....

SILLY ME!

Phill

Damn.

Mine has a "towing package" with a Class III (or is it IV) hitch, integrated ABS trailer braking and anti-sway controls, 'tow/haul' transmission programming (IIRC) and rear view camera zoom controls for hitching up. The truck also has a 8000+ pound towing capacity, according to everything I read.

SILLY ME!

Phill

I was thinking the same thing too.

Looking forward to selling one of my super duty's when the Raptor is done and pulling the car with that? Guess I'll still have one as a backup. I do know I'll be able to drive the Raptor way more than the Mustang.

Maybe someday I will live somewhere where it doesn't snow from September to May lol.

Damn.

SILLY ME!

Phill

That is just plain silly of you Phill. I was thinking of the same thing since I pickup my new Raptor today. I was wonderinng why I bought a 24ft enclosed trailer a couple weeks ago. The nice thing about the Raptor is that it is versitle. It can tow, go off-road and cruise comfortably. What more to you want in a truck? Oh yeah...more power is an option.

So there is something for everyone in the Raptor.

:cry:

You were saying?

Ford Raptor Jumps 90 feet!

Phill

Oh heck no! This is me back in about 1995 when I picked up my Short Wheelbase Thunderbird body out in Lincoln, NE. I was young, didn't have a truck (actually I did have my '93 Lighning, but didn't want to drive it in cold and snow at the time). So why not cut a hole in the bumper of my mustang, drop a ball in there, hook up the trailer and drive 475 miles from Denver to Lincoln. I never thought you could get a 5.0 Mustang get 9 mpg on the highway, you can! Yea, probably not the smartest thing I've ever done. :hysterical:

swb001trailer1.jpg

Sorry to get off topic, it's just a dang funny picture.

classic

classic

I had a CB in the car, you should have heard the truckers talking to each other wondering what the heck that was that just went by them at 85-90 mph down I-80. "Was that really a Mustang pulling a car on a trailer?" Most of them didn't think that was the smartest thing either and actually questioned my intelligence but said it seemed to go pretty good.

I had a CB in the car, you should have heard the truckers talking to each other wondering what the heck that was that just went by them at 85-90 mph down I-80. "Was that really a Mustang pulling a car on a trailer?" Most of them didn't think that was the smartest thing either and actually questioned my intelligence but said it seemed to go pretty good.

way back in 81 or so i bought my 1st and only 69 camaro , it was about 250 miles away, i put a hitch on my 77 impala, borrowed a friends car trailer and i was off,, oh boy was that a trip....just about like yours Jeff, except ,, i could not get going much over 45mph....

worst mistake of a car i ever bought...