TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Focus...WTF

39Mustang

Comparing it to the price of the SS is ridiculous, if a SS cost $85-90K it also competes with other cars in its price range. A $39-44K focus does not compete with cars in that price range IMO, we are talking about the STI and EVO. The SS is significantly more powerful than the GT500, the Focus package at this point does not add power, it is all handling and cosmetic.

Imagine if Honda came out with a $40K Civic, you would all be laughing your a$$es off.

I love my shelby and I actually would consider the Focus ST if I needed a little economical Daily Driver, but in my opinion they missed the mark here, to expensive for the folks in that market.

I would laugh at Honda. But, $40k Shelby Civic......

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, BIG PICTURE, you are missing the big picture. Shelby America isn't foolish enough to think the average teenager to 20something is going to drop $40k on a new car.

However, they are banking on folks buying Focus speed and appearance parts, making trips to the speed shop to have their Focus modded and tuned. Building excitement for the brand in a new segment.

Big Picture.....

As for the comments about the lack of added power for the price. The SGT is all appearance and suspension (with a minimal power bump). I'm not the least bit disappointed. Sure I would like more power, who doesn't, but I'm not disappointed.

I along with most here all recall what it's like to not be able to afford the newest hot car but I personnaly never considered bashing said car all because I couldn't afford it. I simply purchased and built what I could with what I had and used that new hot car as my inspiration. This is what Shelby is banking on.

The same arguments being made about the Focus were made about the SS and GTS. They both seem to be doing alright and the SS has spawned all kinds of mimics.

Where Shelby America is absolutely missing the mark is in its marketing. Shelby America needs to revive its racing heritage and start sponsoring if not out right campaigning in SCCA, NASA, Grand-Am and now with the Focus in the X-Games Rallycross. Shelby America cannot survive expecting the youngest generations to buy on nostalgia alone.

Where Shelby America is absolutely missing the mark is in its marketing. Shelby America needs to revive its racing heritage and start sponsoring if not out right campaigning in SCCA, NASA, Grand-Am and now with the Focus in the X-Games Rallycross. Shelby America cannot survive expecting the youngest generations to buy on nostalgia alone.

Great idea! :rockon:

Guys, BIG PICTURE, you are missing the big picture. Shelby America isn't foolish enough to think the average teenager to 20something is going to drop $40k on a new car.

However, they are banking on folks buying Focus speed and appearance parts, making trips to the speed shop to have their Focus modded and tuned. Building excitement for the brand in a new segment.

Big Picture.....

As for the comments about the lack of added power for the price. The SGT is all appearance and suspension (with a minimal power bump). I'm not the least bit disappointed. Sure I would like more power, who doesn't, but I'm not disappointed.

I along with most here all recall what it's like to not be able to afford the newest hot car but I personnaly never considered bashing said car all because I couldn't afford it. I simply purchased and built what I could with what I had and used that new hot car as my inspiration. This is what Shelby is banking on.

The same arguments being made about the Focus were made about the SS and GTS. They both seem to be doing alright and the SS has spawned all kinds of mimics.

I agree with you 100% about the Marketing and Big Picture, but you lost me big time on comparing the Shelby GT. The Shelby GT added similar components/upgrades and the Upfitter package was well under half of the price of this package, how is that possible? I paid less to get Tasca turn my car into a Shelby GT/SC and they even did a bunch of stuff above and beyond the package.

I bought this up a while back..Shelby needs to start racing again.

Yes, those are terrible knee jerk responses by folks that seem like they only like V-8's and ONLY Fords. I like any and everything that is technologically or visually appealing to me...I am a MAN for Christ's sake!

I certainly am not brand loyal, but Ford has been making home run after home run here lately (Ecoboost,Taurus SHO, Fusion Electric, Focus ST, Shelby GT500, and of course the Raptor), not much to say to the contrary and Chrysler is breaking out of it's shell too. They have no choice they were on the brink of ending their companies because of subpar offerings all the years prior to what I would say 2007. I think Chevrolet has been solid for some time but they are improving as well. Hyundai is the BIGGEST surprise as of late.

Anyway back on topic. The Focus Shelby is NICE no doubt, but I think the price isn't there For the Market I have been a part of in the past. There may be some other market I know nothing about but at 40 Grand I am thinking that maybe those folks are looking a V-8's with no Specialized name attached to it. Just my best guess.

As for the comparison on ratios...yes I guess statistically you are correct, no...YOU ARE CORRECT, BUT I don't think anyone in their right mind would use those figures when making a common sense purchase on a car such as this. I am however wondering if this is aimed at folks outside of the market I have been talking about and maybe they will be snatched up a lot sooner than I figured because of that.

Nice Car Shelby. Good Luck. And I hope that tune is AT LEAST good for 350+ HP (At the crank).

What... No love for the Boss 302???

I agree with you 100% about the Marketing and Big Picture, but you lost me big time on comparing the Shelby GT. The Shelby GT added similar components/upgrades and the Upfitter package was well under half of the price of this package, how is that possible? I paid less to get Tasca turn my car into a Shelby GT/SC and they even did a bunch of stuff above and beyond the package.

The SGT was 1st offered over 5yrs ago. The base price of the Mustang GT has increased By ~$5k since then so I can only imagine what a new SGT would cost new today (maybe we can with the GTS). However, my point was that HP is not necessarily what defines a car. The SGT was and is defined by it handling and appearance.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but Shelby prices the SC package above $10K. I've have not personally priced it but I've been lead to believe it ~$12K. $12k is nearly twice what the component price is. Shelby is justified in charging that amount because if the name, and people pay it. It also ensures exclusivity. I'm perfectly ok with that as are many folks. The Focus is no different.

As I said before $14k for the package is pricey, but when you purchase a Shelby you are investing in more than the sum of its parts.

I like the car and want Shelby to succeed with it, but I still think that a power increase is needed at that price point. The actual cost for Shelby of increasing hp by about 50 would probably not be that significant, but this addition would help justify the cost of the package in the mind of the consumers, as the hp gain would bring the car in line with more expensive cars (Mitsubishi Evo, WRX STI), as far as its performance is concerned, Comparing the SGT to the Shelby Focus is not a fair comparison IMHO. The SGT was aimed at the Mustang crowd, which includes a sizable number of Shelby fanatics, who are generally older, with more disposable income than Focus owners. I also believe that the typical SGT demographic values the Shelby name much more than the sport compact crowd that the Shelby Focus is aimed at. Consequently, the typical SGT buyer (same goes for other Mustang based Shelbys) is likely willing to pay more of a premium for the Shelby name than a Focus owner who may not feel the same connection with the brand.

I like the car and want Shelby to succeed with it, but I still think that a power increase is needed at that price point. The actual cost for Shelby of increasing hp by about 50 would probably not be that significant, but this addition would help justify the cost of the package in the mind of the consumers, as the hp gain would bring the car in line with more expensive cars (Mitsubishi Evo, WRX STI), as far as its performance is concerned, Comparing the SGT to the Shelby Focus is not a fair comparison IMHO. The SGT was aimed at the Mustang crowd, which includes a sizable number of Shelby fanatics, who are generally older, with more disposable income than Focus owners. I also believe that the typical SGT demographic values the Shelby name much more than the sport compact crowd that the Shelby Focus is aimed at. Consequently, the typical SGT buyer (same goes for other Mustang based Shelbys) is likely willing to pay more of a premium for the Shelby name than a Focus owner who may not feel the same connection with the brand.

I totally agree with this. The sport compact folks are really not interested in the Shelby name to the same degree. I guarantee you if they were to buy a Focus ST and mod it they would be just as happy, and probably able to throw in a power hike for less money. Whether it says Shelby on it I don't think most of them would care, I know I wouldn't if I were in the same boat. At my age (mid 50's) I am more likely to be willing to pay for the name and the connection, and I have a higher disposable income, which I think is key here.

Colin

And we come full circle. Again BIG PICTURE!

Clearly, Shelby America is not expecting any and all young buyers to drop $40k. Shelby is using a $40k car to market to younger buyers who will hopefully be drawn to the Shelby brand and will become customers of any and all merchindice.

Ford, along will the other two are investing in smaller cars with smaller displacements. All Shelby is doing is the same. The buyers who have grown up and who are growing up modding sport compacts will have disposable income, many already do, and will hopefully want a specilty car such as the Shelby Focus.

I started off with a '56 Chevy but moved to Mini Trucks before I could afford my 1st new Mustang. During my Mini Truck days the GMC Cyclone and Typhoon along with the Shelby Dakota were the big performance draws. There was no way I could afford any of these at that time, but it did get me jazzed for the brands and my truck(s). Hopefully the Shelby Focus will do the same to young buyers with sport compacts.

My "but the price.....yikes" doesn't compare to the other comments that have been compiled & has been used out of context. The Focus ST is a very capable & fun car in its own right. I was expecting the Shelby Focus to be an SVT product and cost a few thousand more than the ST.

I wish Shelby all the best with this but I can see it going the way of the CS6 & the SS F150 and becoming a kit or part by part build. If SPP is going to put Focus parts on the site then I fully see the value of the package as it currently sits being used as a marketing tool to drive parts sales.

Doubtless some collectors will buy them, doubtless some TS members can afford to & will buy them for daily driver use & doubtless some of the younger crowd will scrimp & save / convince bank of mum & dad to help but I just don't see that adding up to 500 units per year. That being said if a retrofit option remains for previous model years I can see a few used Focus ST's heading to Vegas once they've been bought for a lot less than the $27k new sticker price (as has happened to many GT500's).

What... No love for the Boss 302???

Ahhhh You caught me slippin!!! Yes, The Boss IS AWESOME TOO!!! I did however find it funny that magazines were saying the Camaro 1LE was the newest competitor to the Boss 302. Boss 302 was a limited production car and is now gone...They showed up late to the party lol!!!

And we come full circle. Again BIG PICTURE!

Clearly, Shelby America is not expecting any and all young buyers to drop $40k. Shelby is using a $40k car to market to younger buyers who will hopefully be drawn to the Shelby brand and will become customers of any and all merchindice.

Ford, along will the other two are investing in smaller cars with smaller displacements. All Shelby is doing is the same. The buyers who have grown up and who are growing up modding sport compacts will have disposable income, many already do, and will hopefully want a specilty car such as the Shelby Focus.

I started off with a '56 Chevy but moved to Mini Trucks before I could afford my 1st new Mustang. During my Mini Truck days the GMC Cyclone and Typhoon along with the Shelby Dakota were the big performance draws. There was no way I could afford any of these at that time, but it did get me jazzed for the brands and my truck(s). Hopefully the Shelby Focus will do the same to young buyers with sport compacts.

OK OK...GEEZ I concede! You must be a lawyer!

Great idea Great Big Picture Idea....

But just like a super snake in reality this idea BITES!!!

IIf they don't sell one they have shown their interest in the market. Unfortunately they now have to compete with the aftermarket that has been along for waayyyy longer.....Goood luck Shelby!

Interesting dialogue here...

I was there and got to see it firsthand- My opinion is that it looks REALLY good, and while I fully agree that while I am standing there telling John Q Public about cars we had on display, it is of course obvious to us and them that it is a bit expensive if you are looking at mod costs vs. Shelby package pricing, but lets not forget to look at this from the Shelby viewpoint. If you take a regular Ford Mustang GT500, and add the SS mods, sure, you can save 10k easy. BUT, if you sell that GT500 down the road, how much of the mod money can you expect to recover? A GT500 is going to sell for used value whatever you add to it. A GT500 SS is going to retain almost all of its value, as I havent seen a SS go for under 80k lately. Sure, there is the odd sale here and there, where someone got a great deal, but for the most part, that SS is going to keep most of its mod value.

Then there is the simple fact that it is horrible business for Shelby to not charge something to have their name on it. Shelby's booth was off the main floor this year down with the electric cars and the foodcourt. How did Shelby get people to come down there? They didnt have to. Everyone wanted to see the Shelbys. The electric guys were handing out flyers upstairs for their booths, and telling everyone- "The Shelbys are downstairs". They are getting people to come see their displays by reminding people we were there too, and it worked great! The Shelby name has clout. When a car says Shelby on it, there is an expectation that car wont be a pushover. Now we can argue till the cows come home whether or not that is a valid claim, but not the fact, and it is a fact, that that is the general belief from John Q.

A Shelby Focus makes ZERO sense for a focus guy. Of course the focus forums are gonna bash this build. But Shelby isnt building this model for focus people. They are building a focus for SHELBY people. There are many of us that want to have a Shelby that fit every slot in our automotive lives. We are Shelby fanatics. Thats what it means, and thats what keeps Shelby in business. Building nothing but mustangs spells an end for Shelby, because eventually, you either get your Shelby mustang, or get tired of buying and selling your Shelby for the next Shelby mustang. So where do you go from there? It makes perfect sense where you go- I want a daily Shelby driver. I want to haul my Shelby with a Shelby. I want to buy cups and plates with a snake on them so I can show everyone I love the brand, and its as important to me as my business is to them.

Before you bash, think about the logical progression that Shelby doing here. Sure, the F150 SS did squat. Why? Not because no one wanted to have a Shelby truck, but because Shelby came out with a package to upfit a F150 and it was for a model of truck that was already obsolete. They showed up to that party a year too late. You couldnt hardly find a new F150 to add the package to because the same year, Ford changed the F150, and the new one was far superior to the older model you could turn into a Shelby.

They wont sell a ton of Shelby Foci, and that isnt their intention IMHO. They are broadening their market share so that us nut jobs will have the ability to own 2 or 3 or maybe even 4 DIFFERENT Shelby vehicles all with different abilities and fitting different needs. Your wife doesnt want you owning 3 Shelby mustangs, but maybe she wont mind if you have a Shelby mustang, a Shelby focus for a daily, and maybe even something else for another need.

Sure, a Shelby GTS V6 can be had cheaper than the focus, but the GTS fits the large gaping hole left by specific Shelby models in the mustang market, and nicely allows those who cant afford one of the other models to own a Shelby for very little. 32k out the door to be exact mustang and all. The Shelby GT SEEMS like a bargain in argument, because it was sold when Shelby had yet to determine the true value of the Shelby brand re-emerged in the marketplace of mustang. I would imagine it would have carried a pricetag of 5k more or so if they knew then what they know now, and they had to pricepoint along with Ford which I am positive wanted to keep the price down as much as possible to keep inventory moving.

We can suppose' all day long, but Shelby has to do something to keep interest going, and who knows how much longer Ford plans to build the GT500. Will the new body style even accomodate the 5.8? Who knows, but if history is any indication, and it always is, the GT500 will come to an end at some point, and then what is left to be done? Be happy Shelby brought out the Focus because win or lose, people we care about, that are responsible for YOUR Shelby get to keep working, which means one GIANT thing for all of us- we get to keep having great Shelby sponsored events, and access to places and tours that Ford would NEVER have allowed us to do without Shelby, and specifically Team Shelby. If Shelby goes away....all of this goes away, and all of us are lurking some random Mustang forum, and not having our home to visit and share all these great cars and experiences.

And I will say this- Shelby isnt stopping here. There is more on the horizon for Shelby, and you wont have to wait very long to find out just what it is!!! I am SUPER excited!!

BTW- The widebody is pure eyecandy. Seeing it in person just is phenomenal. Even the Ford guys were at the booth looking over the mod and were really super impressed!

Interesting dialogue here...

I was there and got to see it firsthand- My opinion is that it looks REALLY good, and while I fully agree that while I am standing there telling John Q Public about cars we had on display, it is of course obvious to us and them that it is a bit expensive if you are looking at mod costs vs. Shelby package pricing, but lets not forget to look at this from the Shelby viewpoint. If you take a regular Ford Mustang GT500, and add the SS mods, sure, you can save 10k easy. BUT, if you sell that GT500 down the road, how much of the mod money can you expect to recover? A GT500 is going to sell for used value whatever you add to it. A GT500 SS is going to retain almost all of its value, as I havent seen a SS go for under 80k lately. Sure, there is the odd sale here and there, where someone got a great deal, but for the most part, that SS is going to keep most of its mod value.

Then there is the simple fact that it is horrible business for Shelby to not charge something to have their name on it. Shelby's booth was off the main floor this year down with the electric cars and the foodcourt. How did Shelby get people to come down there? They didnt have to. Everyone wanted to see the Shelbys. The electric guys were handing out flyers upstairs for their booths, and telling everyone- "The Shelbys are downstairs". They are getting people to come see their displays by reminding people we were there too, and it worked great! The Shelby name has clout. When a car says Shelby on it, there is an expectation that car wont be a pushover. Now we can argue till the cows come home whether or not that is a valid claim, but not the fact, and it is a fact, that that is the general belief from John Q.

A Shelby Focus makes ZERO sense for a focus guy. Of course the focus forums are gonna bash this build. But Shelby isnt building this model for focus people. They are building a focus for SHELBY people. There are many of us that want to have a Shelby that fit every slot in our automotive lives. We are Shelby fanatics. Thats what it means, and thats what keeps Shelby in business. Building nothing but mustangs spells an end for Shelby, because eventually, you either get your Shelby mustang, or get tired of buying and selling your Shelby for the next Shelby mustang. So where do you go from there? It makes perfect sense where you go- I want a daily Shelby driver. I want to haul my Shelby with a Shelby. I want to buy cups and plates with a snake on them so I can show everyone I love the brand, and its as important to me as my business is to them.

Before you bash, think about the logical progression that Shelby doing here. Sure, the F150 SS did squat. Why? Not because no one wanted to have a Shelby truck, but because Shelby came out with a package to upfit a F150 and it was for a model of truck that was already obsolete. They showed up to that party a year too late. You couldnt hardly find a new F150 to add the package to because the same year, Ford changed the F150, and the new one was far superior to the older model you could turn into a Shelby.

They wont sell a ton of Shelby Foci, and that isnt their intention IMHO. They are broadening their market share so that us nut jobs will have the ability to own 2 or 3 or maybe even 4 DIFFERENT Shelby vehicles all with different abilities and fitting different needs. Your wife doesnt want you owning 3 Shelby mustangs, but maybe she wont mind if you have a Shelby mustang, a Shelby focus for a daily, and maybe even something else for another need.

Sure, a Shelby GTS V6 can be had cheaper than the focus, but the GTS fits the large gaping hole left by specific Shelby models in the mustang market, and nicely allows those who cant afford one of the other models to own a Shelby for very little. 32k out the door to be exact mustang and all. The Shelby GT SEEMS like a bargain in argument, because it was sold when Shelby had yet to determine the true value of the Shelby brand re-emerged in the marketplace of mustang. I would imagine it would have carried a pricetag of 5k more or so if they knew then what they know now, and they had to pricepoint along with Ford which I am positive wanted to keep the price down as much as possible to keep inventory moving.

We can suppose' all day long, but Shelby has to do something to keep interest going, and who knows how much longer Ford plans to build the GT500. Will the new body style even accomodate the 5.8? Who knows, but if history is any indication, and it always is, the GT500 will come to an end at some point, and then what is left to be done? Be happy Shelby brought out the Focus because win or lose, people we care about, that are responsible for YOUR Shelby get to keep working, which means one GIANT thing for all of us- we get to keep having great Shelby sponsored events, and access to places and tours that Ford would NEVER have allowed us to do without Shelby, and specifically Team Shelby. If Shelby goes away....all of this goes away, and all of us are lurking some random Mustang forum, and not having our home to visit and share all these great cars and experiences.

And I will say this- Shelby isnt stopping here. There is more on the horizon for Shelby, and you wont have to wait very long to find out just what it is!!! I am SUPER excited!!

BTW- The widebody is pure eyecandy. Seeing it in person just is phenomenal. Even the Ford guys were at the booth looking over the mod and were really super impressed!

Very interesting perspective and I agree with most of it, the problem is Shelby can not continue to invest in products that will not sell, I would bet the investment they already put into the Focus will not pay for itself. Based on the last couple available earnings statements they have not been doing well, this does not seem like the time to take a Risk like this. I love Shelby, but would never buy that Focus. Shelby history is Mustangs and Cobra's, the average person does not even know he was with Chrysler for a short time period. To me they would have been much better off coming out with a V-6 Shelby that came off the assembly line like the GT500, that would attract a customer that could not afford the GT500, not a Focus.

We all have different opinions, but based on the Shelby Loyal on this Forum and the Focus forum folks this does not seem to be a winner.

I hope I am wrong.

Now bring on that V-6 Mustang Shelby, not a GTS, one open to all just like the GT500!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Observations from someone who spent time in Detroit with the car

Its an absolutely beautiful car in person. Like a lot of you, when I saw the picture I did not like the car. That changed in person.

The publlic reaction was overwhelmingly positive. And surprisingly, when told the price most said, "thats not bad"

How does that coorelate to actual buyers, we shall see

Performance wise, the tune is in for approval with the Feds. It should have 300 HP and estimated skip pad numbers are north of 1G.

Now, if hatches are not your thing, this wont change that. It is what it is. But those of you that cite new EPA CAFE requirements are spot on. Things are changing and we have no control.

Marketing is going to be key. And I have bee vocal about the need for Shelby to return to its motorsport roots. Its what puts Shelby in the brand. Great product with inefficient marketing equals failure.

Oh, btw, look for AWD to come in the near future

I'm looking for AWD... It's really what keeps this from being a grand slam.

It's not on Shelby at all though. I don't understand why Ford chose not to sell the obviously superior RS AWD here in the states.

The previous gen Focus RS was FWD, just like the ST. From what I've read so far, if a RS version of the current gen car is launched (which is not confirmed yet), it would use a 2.3 litre Ecoboost with over 300hp, but would still be FWD rather than AWD. I agree that AWD would make more sense with this kind of power.

What makes sense is buying a Focus RS across the pond, shipping it here, and getting that converted! Oh, my wishlist grows

One of the managers at Phil Long Ford (CoS, CO) was talking to me about buying the parts and converting a Domestic with the AWD parts. He was researching if the rest of the car is the same and has the mounts for the axles/running gear.

It would be cheaper to do that than to ship one and federalize it (and still have a Gray Market tag on it). That's IF the chassis has the required mounts, tabs, etc.

Phill

I still think a Shelby developed Fusion GTS would have greater appeal to a broader audience. The Shelby Focus has its market niche but feel is limited in appeal beyond 35+yr old group. The new Fusion with its Austin Martin looks( didn't Shelby win in an Austin back in the day) is just a great looking car. Technically, it leads its class in stock form. Add the Shelby performance touch and mild appearance enhancements and you have a winner. I for one would sell my 5 series BMW and get on the waiting list to get one next to my GT.

Archived