TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Focus...WTF

39Mustang

Don't be fooled..

I've driven a Caliber SRT4 with over 400 HP and those cars hustled down the strip. Again its good for Shelby to diversifty itself a bit.

Makes finacial sense to SA.

Mine had 340 FWHP Appx. This Shelby seems like a Mistake when the Caliber with all it's known problems can be had cheap with a lot of power and all similar upgrades for under 30K. I hope this wasn't just an "Idea Fairy" thing and they actually did the Market Research. My dream is that is proves me wrong and sells well, but my gut tells me better, I have been there!

I own a 2013 GT500 now. So I know what I would have wanted anyway. The pocket rocket crowd wants affordab;e power. This doesn't seem to be it.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't I owned a Caliber SRT 4 (Reference My Avatar) The offering is nice, but the price is not in my opinion. I came from that world and I would have never spent that in one BIG package. Maybe a little at a time but not 15K out of the box. Like I said in an earlier thread. What the Pocket Rocket crowd wants is AWD 350+HP Turbo and it being uder 35K even if it is $1 under 35K. That isn't impossible. They also want it to be aftermarket friendly. This doesn't do it. I can say they would take FWD and that HP with suspension and brakes for the same price point.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Shelby is VERY successful with this, but I don't see it personally.

you said the magical word AWD thats the only way to make it different and worthy of the name

you said the magical word AWD thats the only way to make it different and worthy of the name

Who's name? Shelby's? If so, that's simply a rediculous commit.

Folks are still missing the bigger picture. The car itself is and will be an exclusive offering which I don't suspect will be a significant money maker for SA. However, it opens SA to a entirely new market for performance and appearance parts.

They're supposed to handle like they're on RAILS.

Check out the FRPP site and see what they're already offering for them.

Power to weight bud, power to weight.

Carroll Shelby said there's two ways to go fast. Make it LIGHT or make it POWERFUL. Do BOTH, and you got a dang ROCKET on your hands.

And with a center of gravity as low as that thing has?

I'll bet you can make one fly (on a short road course it will kick ass).

We (muscle car guys) used to laugh and make fun of the ricers and their front wheel drive cars. I'd be hesitant to race one nowadays. I've seen sub 10 second FrWD cars tearin' up the 1320.

Phill

Did someone say FLY? They're already Flying........................

04_FocusRS-WRC_Jump_Wallpaper.jpg

wrc-ford-focus-rally-jump-big-air.jpg

0610sccp_02z+ford_focus_wrc_rally_car+front_view_jump.jpg

04_FocusRS-WRC_Jump_Wallpaper.jpg

wrc-ford-focus-rally-jump-big-air.jpg

0610sccp_02z+ford_focus_wrc_rally_car+front_view_jump.jpg

From what I was told (and/or remember), the European versions ARE FWD. I know someone researching the price & availability of getting the parts and making a DOM model, AWD.

He's just not sure if the INT items will bolt into the DOM chassis.

Phill

It was one of Mr. Shelby's plans, to re-introduce a the 4 cylinder Shelby pocket rocket!

Funny my brother had that exact car, it was amazing!!!!!! But the difference in price was a couple grand and it included as much, if not more, modifications that the Focus does. I think the Focus ST is a Great car, but it very close to being priced to high with-out the Shelby Package. I can not imagine who would pay over $40K for a Focus, think of the Competition at that price range.

Focus ST to me equals BIG WIN for Ford, Shelby Package to me is over-priced for the Market of a Focus Buyer.

I hope it does well enough to encourage other things, that would be a win for us all.

Just my 2 cents

Mine had 340 FWHP Appx. This Shelby seems like a Mistake when the Caliber with all it's known problems can be had cheap with a lot of power and all similar upgrades for under 30K. I hope this wasn't just an "Idea Fairy" thing and they actually did the Market Research. My dream is that is proves me wrong and sells well, but my gut tells me better, I have been there!

I own a 2013 GT500 now. So I know what I would have wanted anyway. The pocket rocket crowd wants affordab;e power. This doesn't seem to be it.

Well yes you can get a Caliber SRT4 cheap but I hope you don't blow the engine cause good luck getting a replacement...months if you lucky. Again why does anyone care if Shelby builds the Focus..don't like it..don't buy it.

Different stokes for different folks,Shelby is in business to stay in business...I hope they sell tons of them.

Well yes you can get a Caliber SRT4 cheap but I hope you don't blow the engine cause good luck getting a replacement...months if you lucky. Again why does anyone care if Shelby builds the Focus..don't like it..don't buy it.

Different stokes for different folks,Shelby is in business to stay in business...I hope they sell tons of them.

I completely agree.

But my opinion is this isn't a "smart" business move.

I said I hope they sell their quota worth. I know what the 4 banger market wants from listening and interacting with them and being in the community. and trust me when I say THIS IS NOT WHAT THEY WANT!

I will say this, Collectors and people with more money than they know what to do with might just snatch up the whole batch, which may be the thinking here. But the 4 banger pocket rocket market, I'll say again... They want AWD and 350+ HP. Go on those forums and see that is the sweet spot for an under 35K pocket rocket. This is a nice effort by Shelby no doubt. And it will sell, but I am not sure if it will sell out....

Shelby Focus Hmmm........

Roush made some, Saleen made some, Mazda has the Speed3, Dodge SRT4, Cobalt SS, VW GTI, MIni, on and on the list goes.

I had a '05 SRT4 with the ACR suspension package, wow, what cheap fun that car was. It had it's faults, but it was only $20K new.

The Shelby Focus market might be in the accessories and body panels, cause that where the easy visual changes happen with the younger crowd. The young spend money on "good" carbine fiber hoods, wheels, scoops and spoilers. Also, on bigger turbos, brakes and exhaust.

So, the S-F/ST, should be a good canvass for this crowd to grow into.

I completely agree.

But my opinion is this isn't a "smart" business move.

I said I hope they sell their quota worth. I know what the 4 banger market wants from listening and interacting with them and being in the community. and trust me when I say THIS IS NOT WHAT THEY WANT!

I will say this, Collectors and people with more money than they know what to do with might just snatch up the whole batch, which may be the thinking here. But the 4 banger pocket rocket market, I'll say again... They want AWD and 350+ HP. Go on those forums and see that is the sweet spot for an under 35K pocket rocket. This is a nice effort by Shelby no doubt. And it will sell, but I am not sure if it will sell out....

I'll admit, I've never been a part of the sport compact crowd so I'll have to take you at your word on what they want. But, who produces a 350hp+ AWD car for under $35k? The WRX STI is 305hp for just over $36k. The Evo is 291hp for nearly $38k. As far as I know these are the only AWD offerings on the market. The SRT4 is a terrific car but it has not been produced in years, and if it was to return it will not be for $20k. There is a difference between what the market wants and what the market can honestly provided. Yes, we pay a premium to own a genuine Shelby, and I like it that way, but it looks to me like the Shelby Focus is in the ball park with other upper tier sport compacts and thats assuming you pay MSRP.

Then add the potential aftermarket parts sales and I'm sorry, I'm not seeing where Shelby missed this one.

Folks are still missing the bigger picture. The car itself is and will be an exclusive offering which I don't suspect will be a significant money maker for SA. However, it opens SA to a entirely new market for performance and appearance parts.

+100000 .thats what i was saying at a focus forum .it is another option that shelby has to offer.

Ridiculous comment really... its ridiculous putting the Shelby name on a butt ugly car to begin with!

Appearance is matter of opinion. There are those who think (not me personally) the current GT350 is butt ugly.

Clearly it's my opinion the Focus is a terrific looking car made better by Shelby. The Omni GLHS frankly is a ugly car transformed into an amazing beast by Shelby. So it appears to me that the Old Man would be very excited to see the Shelby Focus.

I'll admit, I've never been a part of the sport compact crowd so I'll have to take you at your word on what they want. But, who produces a 350hp+ AWD car for under $35k? The WRX STI is 305hp for just over $36k. The Evo is 291hp for nearly $38k. As far as I know these are the only AWD offerings on the market. The SRT4 is a terrific car but it has not been produced in years, and if it was to return it will not be for $20k. There is a difference between what the market wants and what the market can honestly provided. Yes, we pay a premium to own a genuine Shelby, and I like it that way, but it looks to me like the Shelby Focus is in the ball park with other upper tier sport compacts and thats assuming you pay MSRP.

Then add the potential aftermarket parts sales and I'm sorry, I'm not seeing where Shelby missed this one.

Yes, there is a difference on what the market wants and what is profitable. The middle ground is the compromise of the consumer or lack therof. Dodge is working on their Dodge Dart SRT platform. Most guys on the forum I was on, when they were coming into the 4 cylinder game wanted a cheap fast car. Guess what? As most of them moved on and were willing to pay more...MOST went with V-8's, not a replacement 4 Cylinder Turbo that cost more. I think the Focus ST is right where is ought to be without Shelby. Look I love Shelby, My GT500 is the most awesome car I've ever owned. But in my experience most went to V-8's, Jeep SRT -8, 300 SRT-8, 5.0 GT's, even Older Corvettes. The Dodge Dart SRT will be under 30K even if $1 mark my words. Whether it will be AWD and 350HP is anyones guess. I guess I have the experience in the 4 Cylinder Market and you have the experience in the buy a car and then turn it into a Shelby experience with your SGT, which I might add, is pretty stunning in that pic. I bought my GT500 straight from the Factory and probably won't Super Snake it.

I hope Shelby Does sell all 500 but just like I can't change your mind about the Shelby being priced right and where the competitors are, you can't change my as to whether it is a good idea nad that it won't sell that well. So....agree to disagree.

A couple of comments. First not everyone is all about the money when it comes to buying a car. Plenty of cars are sold for waaaay more than their "value." Just look at the luxury SUV market and the amount of money people pay for vehicles who's values plummet on day one of ownership. Second, people like me only buy Fords. So to compare them to "everything out there" ignores the basic fact that I and a lot of others look at the Ford lineup to choose a vehicle. When you just look at the Ford lineup, it fills a void.

I played around with the configuration tool and came up with this.

ShelbyFocusST_zps144db6a8.jpg

Since there were multiple replies to this topic about the pricing I thought I'd run a few numbers. If you go to Shelby American and price a 2013 GT500 Super Snake, and add it in interior option and have NO power adder option, you get $54,200.00 for the base car and $31,990 for the SS upgrade for a total investment of 59.04% of base sticker. Now, do the same thing for the Focus, and you get $23,700.00 for the base car and $14,995.00 for the Shelby upgrade (which includes the interior) for a total investment of 63.2% of base sticker. In terms of pure ratios, those are both pretty close. Oddly enough, that 63% annoys us while we happily talk and brag about our 59% for the SS.

I live in Reno, where we have Hot August Nights. That's 5000 classic cars to oogle and drool over for the first week of August. I've seen cars that have $100,000.00 or more invested in them. Cars I don't really get, and am not into hobby-wise. But when I see the owners obsessing over their baby like I obsess over mine, I understand. Would I spend that kind of money and time on, say, a 1958 Chevrolet Biscayne? No. But I respect the person who did. And I've seen some amazing examples of them.

Wanna see automotive art? Go any low rider show. Do I get that concept? No. Do I want one? No. Would I spend the time and money that those owners put into that type of car? Not really. But I absolutely and thoroughly enjoy looking at the mechanical and cosmetic art that makes a nicely crafted low rider. And to talk to and hear the stories of taking the car from nothing to that is really inspiring.

I also don't get the 'ricers' as many people call them. But when I see a fine example of, say, and RX-7 that has been modified to the hilt, and it performs and looks amazing. I'm impressed, even though I would never, ever put that kind of time and money into one.

When I see my first 2013 Shelby Focus ST, I'm going to talk to the owner about the car, and ask him or her all about it and enjoy being with a) another Shelby owner, and B) another car enthusiast. I may not 'get it' the way that owner does, but I 'get' the car bug. And I support anyone who is inspiring to irrevocably contract the same car bug disease I so happily have! LOL

Look around boys and girls at all of the Japanese and German etc. compact car clubs and performance and racing groups. Providing products for this demographic is just good business sense. I may even buy one as a daily driver! If we buy shirts, and mugs, and hats, and of course cars, why not a Shelby Focus?

"Hey dude, my Shelby Focus is faster than your Honda. "

I don't even know how to respond to the above. I get loving the cars and not understanding why someone would spens x for y but understanding they have a passion for what they build...I get that and I am not criticizing it. I am reverberating what I have interacted with and lived through the Turbo 4 Cylinder Scene. I still own a 2004 SVT Focus. To each his own..Yes and apreciate those folks passion yes. As to the ration of Cost of the car to Shelby upgrades...To me that isn't a good point. IMHO Shelby Owners have more disposable income and could more easily attain a Super Snake over a given period of time over those buying a Focus...No disrespect, but AGAIN I came from that scene remember.

As a Shelby owner... I hope these sell out..As a former Sport compact owner... I don't think they will.

662HP631TQ, my post was in regard to statements like these (which I’m sure for some includes a fair amount of sarcasm):

* When I saw it, I threw up in my mouth a little

* Looks like anything to make a buck and pander to the Facebook crowd.

* But the price...........yikes

* A Focus - regardless of what's added to it - is still a Focus.

* This however is a Terrible Idea...

* its ridiculous putting the Shelby name on a butt ugly car to begin with!

By and large the posts were positive on the Focus, and even though one of my examples is from one of your posts, you have repeatedly stated you hope this venture is successful, and I respect that. As for everybody else’s post(s), I respect all opinions, and I apologize if anyone feels that I’m bashing or otherwise disrespecting posted views.

I agree 100% with your comment on disposable income, 662HP631TQ, but disagree on the price ratios not being a good point.

I too hope they sell out. Time will tell. B)

662HP631TQ, my post was in regard to statements like these (which I’m sure for some includes a fair amount of sarcasm):

* When I saw it, I threw up in my mouth a little

* Looks like anything to make a buck and pander to the Facebook crowd.

* But the price...........yikes

* A Focus - regardless of what's added to it - is still a Focus.

* This however is a Terrible Idea...

* its ridiculous putting the Shelby name on a butt ugly car to begin with!

By and large the posts were positive on the Focus, and even though one of my examples is from one of your posts, you have repeatedly stated you hope this venture is successful, and I respect that. As for everybody else’s post(s), I respect all opinions, and I apologize if anyone feels that I’m bashing or otherwise disrespecting posted views.

I agree 100% with your comment on disposable income, 662HP631TQ, but disagree on the price ratios not being a good point.

I too hope they sell out. Time will tell. B)

Yes, those are terrible knee jerk responses by folks that seem like they only like V-8's and ONLY Fords. I like any and everything that is technologically or visually appealing to me...I am a MAN for Christ's sake!

I certainly am not brand loyal, but Ford has been making home run after home run here lately (Ecoboost,Taurus SHO, Fusion Electric, Focus ST, Shelby GT500, and of course the Raptor), not much to say to the contrary and Chrysler is breaking out of it's shell too. They have no choice they were on the brink of ending their companies because of subpar offerings all the years prior to what I would say 2007. I think Chevrolet has been solid for some time but they are improving as well. Hyundai is the BIGGEST surprise as of late.

Anyway back on topic. The Focus Shelby is NICE no doubt, but I think the price isn't there For the Market I have been a part of in the past. There may be some other market I know nothing about but at 40 Grand I am thinking that maybe those folks are looking a V-8's with no Specialized name attached to it. Just my best guess.

As for the comparison on ratios...yes I guess statistically you are correct, no...YOU ARE CORRECT, BUT I don't think anyone in their right mind would use those figures when making a common sense purchase on a car such as this. I am however wondering if this is aimed at folks outside of the market I have been talking about and maybe they will be snatched up a lot sooner than I figured because of that.

Nice Car Shelby. Good Luck. And I hope that tune is AT LEAST good for 350+ HP (At the crank).

Comparing it to the price of the SS is ridiculous, if a SS cost $85-90K it also competes with other cars in its price range. A $39-44K focus does not compete with cars in that price range IMO, we are talking about the STI and EVO. The SS is significantly more powerful than the GT500, the Focus package at this point does not add power, it is all handling and cosmetic.

Imagine if Honda came out with a $40K Civic, you would all be laughing your a$$es off.

I love my shelby and I actually would consider the Focus ST if I needed a little economical Daily Driver, but in my opinion they missed the mark here, to expensive for the folks in that market.

I visit the Focus Fanatics site as my daily driver is a '12 Focus SE. Over there they are complaining about two things. The price, and the fact that there is no power increase for that price. There are many comments about the fact that they could buy a Focus ST and mod it far more cheaply. For some of these folks, being able to buy the ST itself might be a stretch financially, so to pay close to $40k for the Shelby version would be out of the question.

Colin

Appearance is matter of opinion. There are those who think (not me personally) the current GT350 is butt ugly.

Clearly it's my opinion the Focus is a terrific looking car made better by Shelby. The Omni GLHS frankly is a ugly car transformed into an amazing beast by Shelby. So it appears to me that the Old Man would be very excited to see the Shelby Focus.

actually I just got my 2013 GT350 delivered a few weeks ago and I'm not thrilled with the look. FORD very much improved the front-end on the 13 Mustang and the GT350 kit squishes the front-end and I don't like it but I wanted a Convertible but its also why I passed on the 2011 and 2012. ONLY reason why I ordered the 2013 is I'm afraid what FORD might do to the Mustang! Its our AMERICAN pony car and not a euro-car so why they are making their products like this makes no sense

Yes, those are terrible knee jerk responses by folks that seem like they only like V-8's and ONLY Fords. I like any and everything that is technologically or visually appealing to me...I am a MAN for Christ's sake!

I certainly am not brand loyal, but Ford has been making home run after home run here lately (Ecoboost,Taurus SHO, Fusion Electric, Focus ST, Shelby GT500, and of course the Raptor), not much to say to the contrary and Chrysler is breaking out of it's shell too. They have no choice they were on the brink of ending their companies because of subpar offerings all the years prior to what I would say 2007. I think Chevrolet has been solid for some time but they are improving as well. Hyundai is the BIGGEST surprise as of late.

Anyway back on topic. The Focus Shelby is NICE no doubt, but I think the price isn't there For the Market I have been a part of in the past. There may be some other market I know nothing about but at 40 Grand I am thinking that maybe those folks are looking a V-8's with no Specialized name attached to it. Just my best guess.

As for the comparison on ratios...yes I guess statistically you are correct, no...YOU ARE CORRECT, BUT I don't think anyone in their right mind would use those figures when making a common sense purchase on a car such as this. I am however wondering if this is aimed at folks outside of the market I have been talking about and maybe they will be snatched up a lot sooner than I figured because of that.

Nice Car Shelby. Good Luck. And I hope that tune is AT LEAST good for 350+ HP (At the crank).

I am the one who said I threw up in my mouth a little when I saw it and I stand by it!!! Its a butt ugly car but if thats your thing great but putting the Shelby name on it is wrong! Shelby's name is famous because of powerful V8's in lightweight packages like the Cobra and Mustang. If I wanted a pocket rocket I'd go get one. I would rather see Shelby do what Saleen did by offering packages on the Camaro barf puke yuk and the Challenger than on this Focus

Archived