TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Focus...WTF

39Mustang

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good one AJ :hysterical2: Don't tease me by saying that you're going to build a Terlingua version ! :drop:

Not in the Terlingua business anymore. And you can always stick...let me rephrase, you should always stick a pair of bunny stickers on your Shelbys anyways... B)

I picked up a Focus ST back in October. I've been having an absolute blast with the car. Glad to see so many companies are offering upgrade options for them, especially Shelby. Hopefully the car is a big success for Ford and will lead to other hot hatches down the line. I'm looking at you Focus RS.

My son has an SVT Focus that I steal every chance I get. It is a cool "pocket rocket"!!! Handles awesome. I do not like the graphics Shelby came up with but the mods will be great. But I feel the $$ is a bit steep for the economy these days.

My son has an SVT Focus that I steal every chance I get. It is a cool "pocket rocket"!!! Handles awesome. I do not like the graphics Shelby came up with but the mods will be great. But I feel the $$ is a bit steep for the economy these days.

Did you look at the Shelby website where you can configure the graphics between 3 different schemes and multiple striping colors? Pretty cool. I came up with some that I like a whole lot better than the yellow/black car on display.

Hmmm, a Focus? What were Iacocca's instructions to Shelby? Something like, "make a race car out of this cute little secretary's car" (liberal paraphrase applied). Looks like they've done it again. My only criticism is the price......

I love the focus ST and hope to buy one soon, but will not ship it to shelby for a $15k sticker, brakes, wheels, exhaust, and interior upgrade. 15k doesn't even include the optional tune. :doh:

Personally, if I'm gonna burn 15k or more at SAI its gonna be on my GT500 for upgrades (cam, headers, TVS, etc...). And enjoy my 27k focus for what it is.

In the end I do hope there is a market for them and that SAI can make money. But the price point is awfully high. And I'm afraid will miss the younger market niche they are looking to entice.

I love the focus ST and hope to buy one soon, but will not ship it to shelby for a $15k sticker, brakes, wheels, exhaust, and interior upgrade. 15k doesn't even include the optional tune. :doh:

Personally, if I'm gonna burn 15k or more at SAI its gonna be on my GT500 for upgrades (cam, headers, TVS, etc...). And enjoy my 27k focus for what it is.

In the end I do hope there is a market for them and that SAI can make money. But the price point is awfully high. And I'm afraid will miss the younger market niche they are looking to entice.

I agree Gate...I say bring it on but they don't want to over price this thing like you say they'll miss the younger crowd that their targeting.

I agree Gate...I say bring it on but they don't want to over price this thing like you say they'll miss the younger crowd that their targeting.

In my opinion, Shelby American should *really* pay attention to Roush's products & pricing.

Roush is going to price Shelby right out of the market if they don't watch out.

The Shelby name is well known with the older crowd and there's only so many of us still left here to buy. Eventually, there will be NONE of us. Then what?

Roush is WELL known with the younger generations (note: Plural) and is putting out a VERY well suited product for a considerably better price (pound for pound) than Shelby.

Look at a Stage 2 or Stage 3 Mustang, and what you get with it....Then look at the price.

AND.....You can buy ANY of the "Stage" items from Roush, without 'restrictions' (including the badges). You can make your own "Stage 3" Mustang, EXCEPT FOR the Roush number plate (his equivalent to the CSM plate) because Roush knows it's STILL not a "Roush Stage 3" without that number plate....It's just a CLONE (Shelby needs to understand THAT issue, IMO).

Phill

The Shelby name is well known with the older crowd and there's only so many of us still left here to buy. Eventually, there will be NONE of us. Then what?

I'm not familiar with Roush packages, except what I've seen on dealer's lot, but based on my experience at NAIAS last year, there are plenty of younger folks that recognize the coiled snake and literally scream, "Look, a Shelby!" Don't know if it's video games, parental (or grand parental) influence, but they recognize it. Roush may have affordable packages, but I believe the name recognition is limited to the circles of folks who know high performance Mustangs (and the Nascar teams he fields). Even many of my non-gearhead college students recognize the Shelby name. Most folks I know go "Jack who?" and are not even aware of his Mustangs. I agree, I'm probably not going to drop an additional 15k on a Focus, but I'm sure there are folks who will.

A Focus - regardless of what's added to it - is still a Focus.

and I've heard a lot of M3, AMG, etc owners say "A Mustang - regardless of what's added to it - is still a Mustang"

the Focus is a great car for what it is, the Shelby version looks like a great package overall (except the price, of course). How many of you have even driven a Focus? It's a great car for a compact, would rather have the ST than GTI, Cooper S, etc

I think it's great that Shelby American is expanding it's Ford relationship - just like the Cayenne didn't actually dilute the Porsche brand as some predicted, instead it saved the brand and we still have the 911 plus other great cars. If the Focus allows Shelby to keep going, more power to them. I'll still continue to enjoy my GT500 but may find room for a Shelby Focus someday, in the loudest color combination I can build.

I vote yes for the Shelby Focus ST

I spend some time on the focaljet forums. Pretty much the main forums for the Focus crowd. Pretty much many of the same comments there. Many like the car, but are sticker shocked. Not a single person on that site would be interested in the Shelby version. These are many guys who already own a ST. I would think this was the demographic that Shelby would be wanting to hit. Will be interesting to see how the orders go I guess.

I currently wouldn't expect too many people on this site to be excited about the new offerings as this site currently is all about American Muscle. The new offering isn't about muscle as much as it is about finesse. The cool thing is we have a front row seat to watch how it all plays out.

I would imagini would imagine that Shelby will have some performance upgrades ready to option out soon enough, but just didn't quite make the show. The gt350 was delayed due to emissions. It's my guess they don't want to throw a number out that requires a tune rejected to pass the emissions.

I have other concerns. I wasn't impressed by the torque a fwd focus ST had when I laid into it. Another 50-100 HP would certainly do the trick for the price point, but will it be practical? Will the car need front slicks? Lol

I spend some time on the focaljet forums. Pretty much the main forums for the Focus crowd. Pretty much many of the same comments there. Many like the car, but are sticker shocked. Not a single person on that site would be interested in the Shelby version. These are many guys who already own a ST. I would think this was the demographic that Shelby would be wanting to hit. Will be interesting to see how the orders go I guess.

I'm sure there will be plenty from that site who will be willing to spend a few hundred to a few grand on appearance and performance parts from Shelby. That's were SA will make it money, not the '500' cars annually.

Terrible Idea, would have been better to offer the ST as a Factory Shelby with performance (IE. HP and TQ) upgrades and a slightly higher price give the crowd 350 HP suspension and brakes and some Shelby Decals and price it under 35 and you might have had a winner. This however is a Terrible Idea...This coming from a 2013 GT500 owner. Terrible idea. I love the Focuses and especially the ST, but this wasn't well thought out in my opinion. I would HOWERVER LOVE TO EAT MY WORDS ON THIS!!!

Let's not let our big V8 Shelby pride get in the way here. I think Ford and Shelby are brilliant...offering up a new performance car to a completely different market. 550 or 662 HP is great...but I can almost guarantee this car will out brake and out corner any Mustang on a road course.

Hey guys, I'm mostly a "lurker" but as a owner of 2 SD's as well as a GT500 and a GTC (yeah I'm a Shelby junkie), I can tell you that the pocket rockets are a blast to drive - especially on a daily basis. As far as the price goes - if memory serves me right, a dressed out '89 CSX was hitting $20 grand,, which was alot of a Dodge Shadow back then. So pricing is about relative. And production numbers were about the same, mostly around 500 to 800 units each year, depending on the model.

The Dodges had a great younger consumer appeal and there were a lot of tuners in the SD car club. Some of the cars were what I call - stupid-fast, meaning with torque steer they were almost uncontrollable. Heck I knew a GHLS, that would drive to the drag strip, change his tires in the parking lot, and run low 11's on the quarter mile.

Anyway I welcome the new models - it's about time. I don't think this will take anything away from the Cobras or the S-Mustangs

Hey guys, I'm mostly a "lurker" but as a owner of 2 SD's as well as a GT500 and a GTC (yeah I'm a Shelby junkie), I can tell you that the pocket rockets are a blast to drive - especially on a daily basis. As far as the price goes - if memory serves me right, a dressed out '89 CSX was hitting $20 grand,, which was alot of a Dodge Shadow back then. So pricing is about relative. And production numbers were about the same, mostly around 500 to 800 units each year, depending on the model.

The Dodges had a great younger consumer appeal and there were a lot of tuners in the SD car club. Some of the cars were what I call - stupid-fast, meaning with torque steer they were almost uncontrollable. Heck I knew a GHLS, that would drive to the drag strip, change his tires in the parking lot, and run low 11's on the quarter mile.

Anyway I welcome the new models - it's about time. I don't think this will take anything away from the Cobras or the S-Mustangs

Let's not let our big V8 Shelby pride get in the way here. I think Ford and Shelby are brilliant...offering up a new performance car to a completely different market. 550 or 662 HP is great...but I can almost guarantee this car will out brake and out corner any Mustang on a road course.

I won't I owned a Caliber SRT 4 (Reference My Avatar) The offering is nice, but the price is not in my opinion. I came from that world and I would have never spent that in one BIG package. Maybe a little at a time but not 15K out of the box. Like I said in an earlier thread. What the Pocket Rocket crowd wants is AWD 350+HP Turbo and it being uder 35K even if it is $1 under 35K. That isn't impossible. They also want it to be aftermarket friendly. This doesn't do it. I can say they would take FWD and that HP with suspension and brakes for the same price point.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Shelby is VERY successful with this, but I don't see it personally.

Archived