TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My 7 year old inherited a car

My father in law suffered a massive stroke Thursday afternoon and passed last evening (Carroll's birthday) at the age of 63. With his passing, my son lost one of his best friends but he will be able to continue Pop's legacy with the handing down of the keys to his prized kit car that he built . It was amazing to watch my son and his "pop" together especially when they worked on his #6 or #17 Dragon motor cars together. I always joked that I was going to pull the LT1 engine out of it and drop in a Ford 5.4L!

IMG_0009.jpg

My father in law suffered a massive stroke Thursday afternoon and passed last evening (Carroll's birthday) at the age of 63. With his passing, my son lost one of his best friends but he will be able to continue Pop's legacy with the handing down of the keys to his prized kit car that he built . It was amazing to watch my son and his "pop" together especially when they worked on his #6 or #17 Dragon motor cars together. I always joked that I was going to pull the LT1 engine out of it and drop in a Ford 5.4L!

My sympathies and condolences to your family.

63 used to sound old but now at 57, 63 sure sounds young!

Phill

Sympathy and condolences to your family!!!!

I wish my son would have known his grandpa as he was born 3 weeks after my dad died of a massive heart attack!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your son will always cherish those memories !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Guys, thank you for all the support. This car is the only thing that brings a smile to my son's face these past couple days. Last night he went into the garage, figured out how to buckle the harness and sat in there for close to 30 mins. The next semi-warm sunny day we have I'll have to take the car out and let my son do a nice engine rev farewell like we did at Carlisle last year.

One things for any of you guys that read this. Please inform your wives as to where your important papers are located in the house and also what bills you have. My father in law was a police officer and either hid all his paperwork or left them in a very unorganized location. My mother in law has no clue how much money is in the bank accounts, retirement accounts, or what bills are due. I was appointed executor and I can't tell you how much of a hassle the next few weeks are going to be. While this is nothing compared to what my mother in law is going through right now, I'll be spending the next weeks to months reconstructing his life because we can't find anything of his.

Guys, thank you for all the support. This car is the only thing that brings a smile to my son's face these past couple days. Last night he went into the garage, figured out how to buckle the harness and sat in there for close to 30 mins. The next semi-warm sunny day we have I'll have to take the car out and let my son do a nice engine rev farewell like we did at Carlisle last year.

One things for any of you guys that read this. Please inform your wives as to where your important papers are located in the house and also what bills you have. My father in law was a police officer and either hid all his paperwork or left them in a very unorganized location. My mother in law has no clue how much money is in the bank accounts, retirement accounts, or what bills are due. I was appointed executor and I can't tell you how much of a hassle the next few weeks are going to be. While this is nothing compared to what my mother in law is going through right now, I'll be spending the next weeks to months reconstructing his life because we can't find anything of his.

FILF,

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your father in law. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your/his family.

As respects financial matters, a review of his check book register will help you immediately get an idea of recurring bills to be paid. Call each creditor and they will assist you in getting copies of current statements, invoices, etc., and prevent the account from falling into arrears. If you can't find the most recent checking account statement, contact the bank and obtain a copy. The record of deposits and debits may also help you understand where money was coming from and going to, depending upon what information is detailed. Also, finding his latest federal and state tax returns will be very helpful understanding sources of income from pensions, SSA, investment accounts, etc. If these returns were prepared and filed by an accounting firm, contact them for assistance as well. You may need to present a copy of your executor assignment to obtain the cooperation of these entities. Also, funeral directors can help you obtain certified copies of death certificates. Just my .02

Archived