TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Track day in 2013

ViperNC

I have been seriously thinking about getting my GT 500 on the track for some fun and was curious if there would be any interest from guys in the South Atlantic region to work with a local track (i.e. Carolina Motorsports Park, Atlanta Motorsports Park, Virginia International Raceway, Roebling Road or Road Atlanta) for a Shelby owners sponsered day. I'm guessing we would need roughly 20-30 participants before any of these tracks would take us seriously. Track days are a ton of fun and everyone understands up front this is not a race. There is no winner, no sponsors and no driver contracts to be had at the end of the day. Just a great opportunity to take your car out in an enclosed environment to test your skills and see what your car can do. Post up if you would want to participate.

Great idea. Consider signing up with another group that already has track time reserved. Groups such as Track Guys, Rezoom, etc., even some PCA or BMW clubs welcome all makes/models to their events. If you go it alone, you will need at least 60 participants to make it work on most tracks (@ $250/pp per day). If you guys make it work out, post up. Consider coming to Barbers' Motorsports in Birmingham, AL; it is truly a great track.

Barber is a wonderful track. Been around several times on two wheels. Thinking about doing the Porsche racing school down there, but I keep spending money to upgrade my Shelby!

You have a good point about the numbers needed for a Shelby only day. I thought we would have had more interest.....

Barber is a wonderful track. Been around several times on two wheels. Thinking about doing the Porsche racing school down there, but I keep spending money to upgrade my Shelby!

You have a good point about the numbers needed for a Shelby only day. I thought we would have had more interest.....

I too had aspirations of a Shelby only event, but the participation is just not there. These other operators usually field a good group and mix of cars. At a Rezoom event last year, they even had an open wheel car and what appeared to be a Nascar. Of course there were several Shelbys, Porsches, BMWs, etc.

If you decide to make an event @ Barbers, please post up and we can at least get our fellow TS members to park by each other.

Safe driving & God bless.

• 2 weeks later...

I run with the S.E. NASA group in their HPDE runs. Lots of fun. I've got about 15 track day events behind me and each one brings more experience and the fact I'm comfortable driving the Shelby on tracks with other cars around it. The most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Air ducts.jpg

Air ducts.jpg

Roebling Road is a nice course, (though better suited for true sports cars IMHO), and is a short drive for me, but I'm open to just about anything with Atlanta Motorsports Park or VIR being best.

Suggest mentioning this to Del or any of the folks at Track Guys.

Sam

Roebling Road is a nice course

Roebling is a nice course and will make you feel really good about your driving abilities as it is not technical and very flowing. The long front straight into the decreasing radius turn 1&2 comlex is enjoyable along with good rhythm sections 3,4,5 & 6. High speed turn 9 and back down the straight. And that's the lap. I'd be up for that. Had my track bike up over 170 mph at Roebling. Good fun and always wondered what it would be like to take the Shelby out there.

Roebling Road is a nice course, (though better suited for true sports cars IMHO), and is a short drive for me, but I'm open to just about anything with Atlanta Motorsports Park or VIR being best.

Suggest mentioning this to Del or any of the folks at Track Guys.

Sam

I like Sam's idea...not a bad drive from Central Florida.....

SVT is celebrating their 20th anniversary this May @ Virginia International Raceway (VIR) on May 24 - 26, with three days of full course HPDE, two car shows and special guest speakers. Ford will also have a big presence there...don't miss it. Lots of Shelbys and tons of track time on one of the best race tracks in the country!!!!

Full details and registration information can be found here...http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19018

See you there!

I just did a private event at Roebling Road outside of Savannah, GA on Jan 12th & 13th and the total cost for both days was $360 from 8 to 5 each day...we only had 20 (max limit) of participants, and only 18 actually could make it due to some last minute issues for 2 of them. We averaged 8 to 9 cars at a time on the 2.1 mile track. It also included lunch both days brought into the track.

Had a great time and would go back in a heartbeat!!

Andy.

• 3 weeks later...

So...how many numbers do we have for interest at this point?

And what locations are being considered?

I'm in favor of one that would be very driver friendly should a vehicle get "loose". I know several tracks have walls and barriers close in play that would seriously damage or total a vehicle. Since this would not be an official event, I was told that Track Day Insurance would not be available.

I'm definitely interested....one event, and I'm hooked. Sam (and several others)....you said it would happen!!

Never too early to get plans going!

Andy.

Its a numbers game. I'm relatively new to the forum and don't know anyone personally so if someone wants to take the lead and organize a private track day, count me in. I can make a couple of inquiries as well. Right now I'm trying to figure out a brake package that will actually fit my wheels. I'm running deep dish wheels on the rear which eliminates most big brake packages. Until then, I can't track the car for fear of serious brake fade.

No need to mess around attempting to organize your own event...when one already exists...specifically designed around our cars. The SVT Cobra Club is celebrating the 20th anniversary of SVT this May 24 - 26 @ VIR. Three days of full course HPDE and car shows at one of the best race tracks int he US ...far better then CMP, Roebling Road,etc. A number of big name sponsors will be there, including Ford Racing, SVTOA, Roush, etc. Track day insurance is available at Lockton Infinity...just check their website. Hope to see you all there!

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/79708-2013-svt-superfest-vir-svt-20th-anniversary-celebration-may-24-26-2013/

My original thought was for a Shelby only day. Outside of your car, there is not another Shelby on the list. This could be fun though and VIR is an awesome track.

Event Organizers:

1. Tony Sorrentino - Instructor Logistics - 2013 Race Red Boss 302 Coupe

2. Marcie Cipriani - Parade Laps Logistics - 2004 Screaming Yellow SVT Cobra Convertible

3. Pat Madigan - Registration Logistics - 2009 FFR Daytona Coupe

4. Joel Gilchrist - Car Show Logistics - 1995 Orange Mustang GT Convertible

5. David Melhado - Event Promotion and Logistics - 2012 Black Shelby GT500 Coupe

6. Daniel Brooks - Tech Inspector - 1993 Teal SVT Cobra Hatchback

Instructors:

1. Bruce Cameron - 2012 White Boss 302 S Coupe

2. Joe Johnson - 2012 Orange Boss 302 S Coupe

3. Paul DeSisto - 2012 Black Leguna Seca Boss 302 Coupe

Paid Participants:

1. Woodard Jackson - 2005 White Mustang FR500 Coupe

2. Clay Weber - 2007 Silver Corvette Coupe

3. Jud Stansell - 1995 Blue Mustang GTS Coupe

4. Nicholas Smilie - 2012 Race Red Boss 302 coupe

5. Jim Webb - 2012 Black Leguna Seca Boss 302 Coupe

6. George Ciamillo - 2013 School Bus Yellow Boss 302 Coupe

7. Don Rositch - `1968 Blue Mustang Coupe

8. Roger Komonchak - 2013 Silver Corvette Z06 Coupe

9. Bruno Stockinger - 2008 White Ford FR500 Coupe

10. George Gamarci - 2012 Kona Blue Boss 302 Coupe

11. Hugh Barber- 2007 Orange Mustang GT Coupe

12. Jason Leach - 2002 White Roush Mustang GT Coupe

13. Robert McGuire - 2008 White BMW M3 Coupe

14. lawrence Twohig - 2011 White BMW M3 Coupe

15. David Ohland - 2002 Black Corvette Z06 Coupe

16. Mark LaMaskin - Mustang RTR Coupe

Be patient...registration just opened a few weeks ago...let's just hope the Shelby owners are faster on the track then they are at registering :)

There will be plenty of Shelby's there...along with Bosses and GT's...and other makes/models as well. This is the one track event that I never miss each year!

Since this is an organized event, will they allow convertibles on the track with out roll cage?

I'd love to plan a trip up there to see the track...from behind my own windshield at 100+ mph!!

Andy.

Roll cage is required for most/all organized open track events. Speeds @ VIR down the front and back stretch can exceed 140...with some approaching 160. You definitely want to have a cage or at least a roll bar in your car at those kinds of speeds. During each of the three days there will be parade laps...those are fine in a convertible without a cage/roll bar.

Looks like you also have to become a member of the SVT club.... Any way around that and come as a guest?

You can participate in a hyperdrive session without being a member -- that's a single 30-minute session. Otherwise you have to be a member of either the SVT Cobra Club or Track Club USA (for non-SVT makes/models). The cost is minimal and you get a discount at track events...which should cover your membership cost. Based on my experience doing track events over the past 6 years, you won't find a club that gives you more track time then these guys. You will go home exhausted...but with a smile on your face :)

Archived