TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need new clutch. Spec? McLeod? Ram?

mhuffman77

Hey everybody! I am new to this forum and to GT500 ownership and would like to get any personal opinions on clutch kit manfacturers. I have a 2008 GT500 at a little over 600HP to the wheels. I purchased this car a couple months back with no clutch slippage and just a minor notch into second and third before the tranny got moving and heated up. After a couple months of the ocassional stop and go traffic and colder weather it seemed more apparent that something was wrong. Then a couple of weeks ago the clutch started slipping and it has been a very steady decline in performance since. I need a clutch that can handle stop and go traffic. I am not looking to take it to the track but my main concern is that I get a clutch that will take anything I can throw at it. I do not want something that will require replacement in another 10k miles. Any help would be appreciated. I have been reading through all the older topics on here and just can't seem to make up my mind. The only thing I know for sure is I've gotta get this thing replaced really soon. Not sure how much longer it will even be driveable at this point. I am kind of leaning toward the Spec Super Twin Disc kit. Any owners of this clutch? Again Thanks for any input, it is much appreciated :idea:

I don't see many post about the Spec 3+ single disk but if you do not track the car or do long burnouts it is a great choice. It feels better than stock and will handle your HP easily and save you a couple hundred dollars. You would have to purchase a new flywheel to use the single disk but your total would still be in the $800 range or less. If you take the car to the track, I would urge you to get a twin disk.

Hey thanks for the feed back. The Spec I was looking into was actually the twin disc though. Here is a link:

http://www.mmautoperformance.com/spesfg5sst-ford-shelby-gt500-05-10.html?gclid=CKTZv9DoprQCFQ3nnAodWBIACQ

I found a shop in Suwanee GA, Zen Motors that can order the kit for the same price $1,259.00 and the install fee is $495.00 which includes replacing transmission fluid. I should be able to get total repair done for under 2 grand including good tranny fluid. I was thinking Amsoil or Royal Purple. I know the single disc would work but I would rather maintain the twin disc setup that is rated well over my power output. Its crazy how bad my clutch is now, smoke everywhere if you get on it. Looks like I'll be keeping it uder 2k revs till I get the new clutch. You all really have me thinking about the Mcleod RXT twin setup now though. Both seem to be very good products with very happy owners. Decisions decisions.

I just had the SPEC SS installed last week, along with a DSS CF driveshaft. The clutch (and the aluminum flywheel that comes with it) are a great improvement over the 2010 TSB clutch replacement that I had done several years ago (and which lasted only ~7K miles, before it too started slipping) and the SPEC is absolutely smooth quiet under all conditions. I've read about some people who have had problems, but I suspect that poor installations are responsible for many of these. Mine was done by my local Ford dealer (McRee in DIckinson, TX).

• 2 weeks later...

Got about 23k miles on my car, and just started slipping, but only when one hits the accelerator and you can hear it slip (as well as the tach jumping up). Having our local speed shop (same guy did my 1 pc drive shaft, 3.73 gears, rear lower control arms, tune, and ran on their dyno (449 HP at the rear wheels).

Am leaning towards the McLeod, however Centerforce offers he clutch, twin disks, and flywheel for about the same price. Any thoughts on the Centerforce?

Happy New Year to all...will be visiting Carlisle next year....(live down the road from it)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an Mcleod Rxt ever since my stock one looked like a camp fire in stop and go,traffic to a car show. Love it!!! Feels great and not a single prob. Hardest part is driving like granny during break in period. Highly recoment this product.

• 2 months later...

I had an RXT put in last year and it feels great but it makes a "squeak/slip" sound going into 1st and sometimes second. It feels great though and takes hard shifts with ease. McLeod could not answer my questions about the slight noise so I just live with it. It is not as bad a noise as the 2KRPM harmonic noise from my Aluminum one piece driveshaft!

I do really like the way it feels in spite of the noise.

Mark / MSB Mustang

• 1 year later...

I don't have any personal experience but have seen this one in person at Shelby Las Vegas.

It's new but looks like something better than the other offers out there and it's direct from Shelby American.

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/RS100201CA326KB.htm

Phill

McLeod RXT Street Twin Disc Clutch Kit this is the onre i was going to order just want to know if there

was any extra parts i should get that doesnt come with the kit

Always a good idea to change out the Throwout bearing/Slave cylinder (stock Ford part)

And when I did mine, I took the opportunity to swap out the plastic hydraulic line for a stainless braided one

McLeod RXT Street Twin Disc Clutch Kit this is the one i was going to order just want to know if there

was any extra parts i should get that doesnt come with the kit

do you have to buy a new flywheel also or can you use the one that the car came with

• 2 years later...

Archived