TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Guess what I found in my open grill

svt13

Today when installing some stuff and removing the front splitter in addition to the massive amount of leaves removed there was also a dead cardinal stuck in my grill.

Again ford is sooo stupid for leaving that open. Lazy asses should have just made a better cooling system

Wow I hope the Pope doesn't find out :hysterical:

Seriously I totally agree. I'm all in favor of improved cooling but I thing Ford went a little overboard deleting the front grill entirely and leaving the rad and HE to the elements. Really, how much restriction is a screen going to add.

I remember reading one of those snarky online reviews, and, as an aside, the writer said, (paraphrasing): "Question for future GT500 owners: What would a bird strike cost with this car? The grill on this thing looks like it could hoover a flock of pigeons."

But seriously, I hope the bird didn't cause any damage to your car.

Rick

I really have to shake my head every time I hear a Shelby owner crying about the open grille. News flash, Ford has been doing open grilles for YEARS. '97 on had no grilles at all because '96 Cobras with the grille had overheating issues.

2011-05-20124016.jpg

Today when installing some stuff and removing the front splitter in addition to the massive amount of leaves removed there was also a dead cardinal stuck in my grill.

Again ford is sooo stupid for leaving that open. Lazy asses should have just made a better cooling system

If you read the SVT engineers notes, the egg crate grill started to deflect/distort around 200mph. Either way, I love it, looks violent.

I really have to shake my head every time I hear a Shelby owner crying about the open grille. News flash, Ford has been doing open grilles for YEARS. '97 on had no grilles at all because '96 Cobras with the grille had overheating issues.

True enough. My '01 Cobra has a small opening above the bumper, with a larger one below. Just a bunch of bugs in there, no dead animals.

One day when it was a little windy a small tree branch blew off and stuck right in my grill like a spear, my first thought was I'm glade I have a grill don't know what kind of damage may have been caused with out it.

That's my point. How many of us are going to go 200mph? Overkill if you ask me.

Yeah really like we are going to go 200 mph every day...I'm sure they could have put some kind of grill on and had the open or grill delete

for the ones that like that look..I personally don't.

pics or it didnt happen.

I am begining to think he dosen"t have a car, I have yet to see a pic of it.

Bird strike!!! Uh, you didn't hear it hit? A bird that size would make a little noise you would think.

Must be those high speed runs with the S/C Spooled up all the way, Can't hear a Bird Strike Going that fast.

No pics? LMFAO

Bird strike!!! Uh, you didn't hear it hit? A bird that size would make a little noise you would think.

Must be those high speed runs with the S/C Spooled up all the way, Can't hear a Bird Strike Going that fast.

No pics? LMFAO

Well if you don't believe it go on SVT and PM wiseguy, Thats Bill Wise he is my mechanic he is the one who found it. Not that I really care what you think. And no its kinda hard to hear things with the windows down and when I'm too busy enjoying the exhaust and supercharger of the car.

No pics? LMFAO

I remember reading one of those snarky online reviews, and, as an aside, the writer said, (paraphrasing): "Question for future GT500 owners: What would a bird strike cost with this car? The grill on this thing looks like it could hoover a flock of pigeons."

But seriously, I hope the bird didn't cause any damage to your car.

Rick

I was shocked it didn't damage it. I am not sure if i hit it or if a bird went in there and got stuck. We found it under the front splash shield. My mechanic took it off to get to something else and we found it in there. The h/e and everything else was fine. I think it crawled in there and got stuck though it kinda looked smooshed in that section so I'm not entirely sure.

I don't remember ever seeing a cardinal fly in front of my car.

And again to all talking about their terminators without grills. That grill opening isn't large enough for a bird to fit through. Idc about bugs I clean them out every week but a bird? Come on ford. Thats just lazyness this design. Exactly as stated before corvettes and even the damn bugatti doesn't need an open grill for cooling.

I once had to pull a large Nevada rabbit out of what was left of my lower grille. It took out half of the grille and cracked the bumper cover cover. No cooling system damage. So I'm in favor of grilles! :)

No, I don't have a picture. It was dark. LOL

2011-05-20124016.jpg

+1. Same with the Mach 1 and the SGT/California Special do not have a grille on the lower fascia. It's never been and issue for me. Striking a bird at speed would be a mess with or without a grille. I've hit birds with trucks, it's not pretty. I'm going to guess the Cardinal was dead on the pavement and sucked up or kicked up by another vehical.

If a grille is that much of a concern then purchase an 11-12 GT500 grille.

WOW! I actually like the open grill design it looks different and offer better cooling, even if it is negligible. I will be keeping mine in the Garage so it isn't a big deal whatsoever. If I hit a bird and didn't know.... I'd sell my car.

I like the design, The grils ford provided in the past looked really cheap anyhow.

I was shocked it didn't damage it. I am not sure if i hit it or if a bird went in there and got stuck. We found it under the front splash shield. My mechanic took it off to get to something else and we found it in there. The h/e and everything else was fine. I think it crawled in there and got stuck though it kinda looked smooshed in that section so I'm not entirely sure.

I don't remember ever seeing a cardinal fly in front of my car.

And again to all talking about their terminators without grills. That grill opening isn't large enough for a bird to fit through. Idc about bugs I clean them out every week but a bird? Come on ford. Thats just lazyness this design. Exactly as stated before corvettes and even the damn bugatti doesn't need an open grill for cooling.

This guy is funny. Going to be funnier when you realize a Bugatti has 10 radiators and costs 2.2 million dollars.

How big a bird you trying to hit? Take a closer look at the Termi LOWER grille. Pretty sure a full grown raccoon will fit right in.

If and when you hit something, there is no guarantee it will hit the $130 grille, the $500 bumper, the $120 fog light, or the $450 heat exchanger.

I'll make you a deal and squash that crying. We can trade grilles, I'll pay shipping. My '11 for your '13.

The cost of a strike in the front of the car should be irrelevent. Just carry $0 deductible on your comprehensive insurance. This is not the same as collision insurance where zero deductible will make you take a big hit to the wallet. I believe it is about $24 per year for zero deductible comprehensive on my State Farm policy. This covers crap laying in the road you hit such as big chunks of re-tread ripped from truck tires or other junk. It covers a bowling ball thrown from an overpass, a California Condor strike or door dings or keyings from parking lots or cracked or broken windshields from flying stones. When one of my vehicles has comprehensive damage I pay nothing to get it fixed. Once again do not confuse this with $0 deductible collision. I will not own a vehicle without this coverage. Check it out with your agent.

+1. Same with the Mach 1 and the SGT/California Special do not have a grille on the lower fascia. It's never been and issue for me. Striking a bird at speed would be a mess with or without a grille. I've hit birds with trucks, it's not pretty. I'm going to guess the Cardinal was dead on the pavement and sucked up or kicked up by another vehical.

If a grille is that much of a concern then purchase an 11-12 GT500 grille.

I think what you are saying is correct. I don't think it flew right into my grill. I felt pretty bad thinking I killed a cardinal but I am a mindful driver so I would have seen a bird getting sucked into my car. I think either another car hit it in my car or it crawled in there and got stuck and maybe the wind pressure squished it in more

And to trackrat if these cars from 96 have been having cooling issues don't you think ford should make a better cooling system so that doesn't happen? I mean the only reason I wouldn't do that is to say its good as is and I don't want that extra cost eating in my profits. Though some would disagree because they think ford is a charity and forget they are a business

Archived