TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New carbon fiber pieces

svt13

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Jer I know you guys are busy till after Sema, but I was wondering are their any plans to maybe make any carbon fiber pieces? Louvers, side scoops, spoiler, rocker panels, rocker panel splitters etc?

Yes. Rockers, splitters, 5.0 engine covers, coil covers, etc...

Scoops and louvers, not so much.

Jer

Jer

Ok since there are plans to do this and you mentioned 5.0 engine covers which only trucarbon/trufiber sells could you please assure me that they are not the ones you will be getting your parts from?

I was hoping more of the pre preg type like the SS splitter is now since that is a 100% perfect work of art.

Ok since there are plans to do this and you mentioned 5.0 engine covers which only trucarbon/trufiber sells could you please assure me that they are not the ones you will be getting your parts from?

I was hoping more of the pre preg type like the SS splitter is now since that is a 100% perfect work of art.

Can't say for sure, we will be talking to many people about it. Thanks for your input.

Jer

Jer

Jer, When you do this, will you be looking at all model years going back to 2007 or just newer stuff?

Thanks!

Jer, When you do this, will you be looking at all model years going back to 2007 or just newer stuff?

Thanks!

EVERYTHING.

Jer

Just who ever you use Jer make sure its pre preg none of that cheap hand laid crap please! :)

Oh and I forgot to ask, are you going to do interior carbon fiber pieces as well?

Odds are against doing any interior pieces anytime soon.

Jer

Alright. Any ETA on this stuff?

None yet.

Jer

That blows.

I forgot to ask about this but what about a pre preg carbon fiber hood vent?

All CF and simulated CF products are in the planning stage. You asked if there was an ETA, there is not.

That being said, I do not respond well to statements like "That blows". I've asked you many times to think before you type on this forum, consider this another one of those moments. I expect a higher level of communication, please.

Jer

All CF and simulated CF products are in the planning stage. You asked if there was an ETA, there is not.

That being said, I do not respond well to statements like "That blows". I've asked you many times to think before you type on this forum, consider this another one of those moments. I expect a higher level of communication, please.

Jer

My apologizes Jer. Post corrected

pre peg is alot more $ most wont be willing to pay that extra money

Not really. Its maybe 50-200 dollars max more expensive. Trufiber junk rocker panels are like 800 dollars. For another company for pre preg carbon fiber panels from the RTR-C mustang when they did offer it costed 850. Another company I asked to make me a custom pre preg decklid panel. They said 300 for the mold and 350 for the piece. So Trufiber sells their junk crap for 200 so only 150 more. And the super snake splitter now is 750 while the trufiber junk one is 600. Everyone should be willing to pay that small increase for a true quality part without flaws, and one that won't yellow after 1 year. The difference in quality is drastic compared to the itty bitty price increase.

Not really. Its maybe 50-200 dollars max more expensive. Trufiber junk rocker panels are like 800 dollars. For another company for pre preg carbon fiber panels from the RTR-C mustang when they did offer it costed 850. Another company I asked to make me a custom pre preg decklid panel. They said 300 for the mold and 350 for the piece. So Trufiber sells their junk crap for 200 so only 150 more. And the super snake splitter now is 750 while the trufiber junk one is 600. Everyone should be willing to pay that small increase for a true quality part without flaws, and one that won't yellow after 1 year. The difference in quality is drastic compared to the itty bitty price increase.

Pre- impregnated CF cloth (or wet CF) has nothing to do with the finished product yellowing and it only improves the quality of the bonded part if it is layed-up correctly, which in nearly all cases is done by hand just as it is done with dry CF. Wet CF can be easier to lay-up, but you can still have wrinkles, voids, and/or distortions. Wet CF cost more not because its wet, but because it has a limited shelf life which can only be extended through cold storage thus requiring that it be purchased in small quantities or stored in large expensive freezers when purchased in bulk.

Point being, there is nothing magical that makes wet CF vastly superior to dry CF. The final products of both are just CF cloth bonded in epoxy resin, the only difference is wether or not the resin is applied to the CF at lay-up or if it already in the CF. when done correctly there is virtually no difference in appearance or strength between the two.

Pre- impregnated CF cloth (or wet CF) has nothing to do with the finished product yellowing and it only improves the quality of the bonded part if it is layed-up correctly, which in nearly all cases is done by hand just as it is done with dry CF. Wet CF can be easier to lay-up, but you can still have wrinkles, voids, and/or distortions. Wet CF cost more not because its wet, but because it has a limited shelf life which can only be extended through cold storage thus requiring that it be purchased in small quantities or stored in large expensive freezers when purchased in bulk.

Point being, there is nothing magical that makes wet CF vastly superior to dry CF. The final products of both are just CF cloth bonded in epoxy resin, the only difference is wether or not the resin is applied to the CF at lay-up or if it already in the CF. when done correctly there is virtually no difference in appearance or strength between the two.

You lost me. Where in the hell did I say just because if something is pre preg that it doesn't yellow? I said trufiber yellows because they use shitty clear coat. Additionally yes you are right if done properly there is no difference between pre preg and one where the resin is applied at the time. But that being said is this Pagani I'm buying parts from? No its not. So thats why pre preg would be best since they already do it with the SS splitter and it comes out perfectly because of that. All the other hand laid crap going around now is junk. Again unless its hand made by someone like Pagani then its junk.

check into the infusion process of it , i build my own molds and alot of the stuff on my car are made by me as soon as i get set up in the new shop ill star playing around with it

JIM

Try it out. Make some pre preg stuff its easier. Since really it takes amazing talent to do it all by hand and for it to come out perfectly.

You lost me. Where in the hell did I say just because if something is pre preg that it doesn't yellow? I said trufiber yellows because they use shitty clear coat. Additionally yes you are right if done properly there is no difference between pre preg and one where the resin is applied at the time. But that being said is this Pagani I'm buying parts from? No its not. So thats why pre preg would be best since they already do it with the SS splitter and it comes out perfectly because of that. All the other hand laid crap going around now is junk. Again unless its hand made by someone like Pagani then its junk.

Where did 'you' say it's due to the clear coat? I read 'cheap hand laid crap' and 'won't yellow after 1 year'. The only mention of clear is done by Redtail.

All of the parts you want to see will be layed-up by hand. The skill of the person doing the lay-up will determine the quality. Not necessarily the type of material used. Again, there is nothing magical about wet CF. Being wet, it's sticky which helps minimize distortion in the weave and helps the plys conform to the mold and minimize wrinkles during bagging and compression, which is all for not if the monkey doing the lay-up isn't careful. Where I work we use wet CF because it saves a massive amount of time by eliminating the need to apply the resin. We manufacture large quanties of CF parts as small as a dinner plate up to 4ft x 30ft. Everything is done with wet CF and all is done by hand with the exception of our largest and most complex which are done with multi million dollar one of a kind machines and they have to be nearly flawless or our customer will not accept it. More importantly, if its not flawless we put lives at risk.

Where did 'you' say it's due to the clear coat? I read 'cheap hand laid crap' and 'won't yellow after 1 year'. The only mention of clear is done by Redtail.

All of the parts you want to see will be layed-up by hand. The skill of the person doing the lay-up will determine the quality. Not necessarily the type of material used. Again, there is nothing magical about wet CF. Being wet, it's sticky which helps minimize distortion in the weave and helps the plys conform to the mold and minimize wrinkles during bagging and compression, which is all for not if the monkey doing the lay-up isn't careful. Where I work we use wet CF because it saves a massive amount of time by eliminating the need to apply the resin. We manufacture large quanties of CF parts as small as a dinner plate up to 4ft x 30ft. Everything is done with wet CF and all is done by hand with the exception of our largest and most complex which are done with multi million dollar one of a kind machines and they have to be nearly flawless or our customer will not accept it. More importantly, if its not flawless we put lives at risk.

Oh I was saying it as 2 problems with the current carbon fiber pieces out today not that the problems were connected. Though I see how you could confuse it that way.

I also heard though that pre preg carbon fiber is lighter and stronger then non pre preg. And I'm wondering then if what you say is the case I guess both trufiber and raceskinz are just sloppy. I had raceskinz make a set of rocker panels for me they literally did them I think 5x and it still didn't come out nearly as perfect as the shelby SS splitter. Plus the shelby ss splitter just looks different. Idk what it is but there is something in the look of pre preg that it just looks more high quality at this lower level. It's hard to describe the difference but if you put both pieces next to each other they become very obvious.

I'd be interested in seeing the CF parts shelby offers. I have been looking into available options and the imitation painted CF parts just don't cut it for me. It looks cheap. I especially want to get the SS splitter (perhaps for Christmas) and the diffuser but the TruFiber part I've heard horror stories about fitment. If they have nice rockers coming out, I'll evaluate then, but I was considering the 2013 painted look.

Here's hoping for a nice selection of parts. I love that SPP is ramping up the parts they are putting out.

i have some trufiber parts on my wifes SGT and to be honest thay look mighty fine to me . i understand you had issuies with them but dude the hoarse died along time ago !! your gonna give yourself a ulcer . i got some bad hood lift kits from shelby 4 to exact . finally gave up and moved on you donr here me trashing them

most co. like shebly JLT and others dont make the parts they have a differnt company do them

JIM

i have some trufiber parts on my wifes SGT and to be honest thay look mighty fine to me . i understand you had issuies with them but dude the hoarse died along time ago !! your gonna give yourself a ulcer . i got some bad hood lift kits from shelby 4 to exact . finally gave up and moved on you donr here me trashing them

most co. like shebly JLT and others dont make the parts they have a differnt company do them

JIM

I thought they looked fine too but then compare them to OEM carbon fiber. Go look at the super snake carbon fiber parts. Like I said the differences become very obvious. But another thing I may just pay more attention to detail than you.

Or even go look at the RTR-C mustang. That is very high quality CF that trufiber can't even touch.

shelby is putting hydrocarbon parts on there cars !! now the rockers on the wifes sgt are over 2 years old the car is a daily driver . and still look good

the mirror covers i had on my Roush that came from florida faded within in a year . pre preg isnt the fix all the only advantage it heat sets it off in a few hours

JIM

shelby is putting hydrocarbon parts on there cars !! now the rockers on the wifes sgt are over 2 years old the car is a daily driver . and still look good

the mirror covers i had on my Roush that came from florida faded within in a year . pre preg isnt the fix all the only advantage it heat sets it off in a few hours

JIM

pre preg for looks and quality. Then proper clear coat to fix against UV. Pretty much every one who makes carbon fiber parts for the mustang has this problem. Except APR and the parts from the RTR-C.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived