TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How cold do you drive?

This is probably a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway. With it now 50 degrees for high temperatures here in Minnesota, how cold do you think it can be outside before its unsafe to drive my '12 SS from a traction perspective? It's more a tire thing since I'm running Michelin Pilot Super Sports and them being a summer tire. Thanks for your input.

No, it's not a dumb question.

There is a warning in your owners manual. I remember seeing it in the supplement to the Shelby GT, and there is one in my Ford GT. They do not recommend low temps. First, the tires are "performance" tires. They are not sticky at the beginning but do work better as they warm up, but pavement temp plays a big factor. When the tires and pavement is cold they will lose grip. Not when you're going away from your driveway (when things are working and you're not being "bold"), but when you decided you want to downshift to do a 3-2 on a turn. That's when the cold tires and cold pavement disconnect, your wheels lock and your tires break loose at the rear end and you do a pivotal exchange. I can attest to this in both my SGT and the Cobra under similar circumstances. I got sticky tires on the FGT.

P.S. I do drive mine in cold - once a month during the winter season I try to take it off the battery tender and run it for about 10 miles to get the engine (coolant and oil) up to operating temp for at least 20 minutes. But in January it's slow going appropriate to conditions.

About 50 is the lowest temps we run. I have run on some frost on the roads and could feel the slip so don't do that anymore. Washed and put away for the season-unless there is some nice weather coming. Had our first snow and it was 25 this morning.

This is probably a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway. With it now 50 degrees for high temperatures here in Minnesota, how cold do you think it can be outside before its unsafe to drive my '12 SS from a traction perspective? It's more a tire thing since I'm running Michelin Pilot Super Sports and them being a summer tire. Thanks for your input.

The GT500 supplement says not to drive in temps of 40d and below due to the "Summer Tires".

I took mine out on a 53d day one time. I had TC on (default) and stopped at the stop sign 2 houses down from my house. I made a right turn at the stop and it was like I was on ICE. The ambient temps may have been 53d but I'm thinking the streets still hadn't had a chance to 'catch up' to the ambient air temp and must have been cold. It was a controllable slide, but a slide none the less. And the tires were making a zzzzzzzzzzzzz sound, telling me they were hard and skipping over the top of the road rather than biting into it.

I don't drive my car under 50d anymore. And if the temps close to 50, it better be that way for awhile so the ROAD temps are 50, not the AIR temps.

You Super Snake will be WORSE, with better high-performance tires and more HP than my car had at the time.

YMMV,

Phill (Co. Springs, CO where it gets cold too)

I try to stay off the streets below 32......I can manage it (stone stock) down to that point, but it's just too scary. These cars have a traction problem when it's 80 and sunny, much less when it gets cold! Of course, it's not actually "seasonal" thing here in KY. New Year's Day can be 65 degrees here, January 2nd can be 35......you just never know! Mine is always ready to roll!

The GT500 supplement says not to drive in temps of 40d and below due to the "Summer Tires".

I took mine out on a 53d day one time. I had TC on (default) and stopped at the stop sign 2 houses down from my house. I made a right turn at the stop and it was like I was on ICE. The ambient temps may have been 53d but I'm thinking the streets still hadn't had a chance to 'catch up' to the ambient air temp and must have been cold. It was a controllable slide, but a slide none the less. And the tires were making a zzzzzzzzzzzzz sound, telling me they were hard and skipping over the top of the road rather than biting into it.

I don't drive my car under 50d anymore. And if the temps close to 50, it better be that way for awhile so the ROAD temps are 50, not the AIR temps.

You Super Snake will be WORSE, with better high-performance tires and more HP than my car had at the time.

YMMV,

Phill (Co. Springs, CO where it gets cold too)

This was my experience as well-air temp was above 50 but still a little frost on the road. Not doing that again!

• 2 weeks later...

I've driven my car in single digit weather with the stock F1 Supercar tires and didn't have an issue. It's a matter of using your head and knowing the temps and applying the gas pedal and brake pedal accordingly. But basically anything below 50 degrees and I start to feel the traction go. Obviously, any type of snow or ice is a complete no-go with summer tires. Don't even attempt it.

I've driven my car in single digit weather with the stock F1 Supercar tires and didn't have an issue. It's a matter of using your head and knowing the temps and applying the gas pedal and brake pedal accordingly. But basically anything below 50 degrees and I start to feel the traction go. Obviously, any type of snow or ice is a complete no-go with summer tires. Don't even attempt it.

+1

Cool / Cold you can drive, you just can't take off like you're in a race. Rain or snow the car wouldn't be out anyway. Personally, I normaily avoid driving below 40F if at all possible.

As long as there is no ice on the road, I drive my car at all temperatures down to 20F with stock tires. It is all a matter of being careful how one drives and be light on the throttle and easy on the corners. It is all very doable. I bet the 40F warning is primarily for liability. True traction can be an issue, espcially if one drive like they think it is summer. Common sense is needed when driving below the warning temperature. The car is not going to break if driven below freeziing.

I bet the 40F warning is primarily for liability.

BAH!

When I had my episode, I was NOT 'on it' and it was 53d ambient.

They are called "Summer Tires" for a reason!

Phill

The stock goodyears are awful if its 120.

If you are coming from a Prius/accord park it in the winter. If you have experience with high hp cars then swap your tires and enjoy the cold dense air. Cold air =more power. Unless there is ice ill drive mine year round. I can't wait to get her off. Blocks and back out in these crisp mornings. Forecast 39 a few days this week. Hope to get her out and let her eat

Archived