TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brembo rear brakes

Jetaries

I would really love to see the brembo rear system developed for the gt 500. Why won't shelby work with brembo on a real venture to make this car really perform.

I understand most braking is done at the front but I wonder why Ford has not made them (factory stock) for the mustangs, I mean I see Dodge, Subaru, Infinity, even Hyundais with rear Brembos.... I understand it is not a easy plug and play(nor cheap) to install rear big brakes on these newer ones.

Supposedly it has to do with the c clip axles. They have some play in them, so the pistons in the fixed calipers get pushed in slightly on cornering. That causes the pedal feel to change from time to time. IRS or FWD cars don't have that problem.

That said, I'd kill for a setup using the pre '13 4 piston calipers in the rear. A kit that had a drum E-brake, and rotor set up to mount the front caliper would be awesome. Switch the fronts for '13 6 piston calipers and move the fronts to the rear. It'd probably be very cheap in comparison to the Baer or Wilwoods.

I too have heard of the problems with fixed calipers on axels with c-clips. So how does Shelby get away with it when then do their big brake rear upgrade (4 piston caliper)? Don't they have the same problems? AP Racing also offers a 6-piston front/4-piston rear setup.

I too have heard of the problems with fixed calipers on axels with c-clips. So how does Shelby get away with it when then do their big brake rear upgrade (4 piston caliper)? Don't they have the same problems? AP Racing also offers a 6-piston front/4-piston rear setup.

I've always assumed they use a floating caliper. A fix caliper can be used, but you run the risk of excessive 'knockback' when driving aggressively which can have a significant negative impact on braking. It’s this reason that Brembo never developed a rear brake system for the live axle Mustang. Keep in mind your rear brakes provide very little stopping power.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/pad-knockback

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/rear-brake-upgrades

There are individuals who have made custom mounting plates for both the 4 piston Brembo from the GT500 as well as smaller Brembos from other cars such as Infinity/Nissan, Porsche, etc.

The Newest issue of either 5.0 Mustang or Mustang's and Fast Fords has an artical on a '10 or '11 GT with rear brembos from a Porsche. Again, its a custom install.

They are converting a car rather than building one, so the same rules don't apply. Ford has to meet different standards. There's good reason the term OEM quality is such a big deal, and it refers to far more than just build quality.

I think it's also worth noting that the rear brakes are an option, not standard. At least on the couple of cars I looked up.

• 2 months later...

Archived