TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SHELBY 15" Rotor upgrade ?

patrickshelby

These are top-notch Im told... I'm probably ordering them myself.

http://www.girodisc....500_p_6316.html

Yes they are nice! But they are 14" for the front.

The question was: Will SA (or an other company) offer a 15" for the 2013 owners or the ones switching to the six pistons calipers from the 2013?

The stock 2013 Brembo brake on the front is already a mono-block 6 piston caliper. All you need is a 15" two piece rotor to surpass the big brake kits for the front that are available from the other manufacturers in 14". StopTech is building a 15"/380mm rotor, but I don't know if they have the hat to install it on a stock car with the Brembo caliper or if the Brembo rotor is as wide as the StopTech.

I believe that the aftermarket will produce a 15" big brake kit for these cars, give them some time to catch up

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Ford Racing has a 2 piece rotor now, but the price is stupid. I want to try this first http://store.kennybrown.com/product/brake-cooling/front-brake-ducts-2005-2014-mustang-boss-302-and-shelby-gt500 . I don't have the track pack so I can run the cooling to the same place as the 12s. From what I have read the brakes work great on our cars for the first lap and then heat get to them. If I can keep those big cast rotors cool brakes might not need rotors for a time and by then the price and options should be there.

Ford Racing does have a set as stated earlier. They are not slotted or drilled, but I would bet Brembo has a rotor that will fit the hat for this option. I honestly would think that Brembo would sell these hats also as separate piece, unless Ford has them tied up in an exclusive rights contract. You can usually find a Ford dealer selling Ford Racing parts at a significant discount. I'd be willing to bet they could be bought for under a grand for the set.

https://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=23334

• 1 month later...

The stock 2013 Brembo brake on the front is already a mono-block 6 piston caliper. All you need is a 15" two piece rotor to surpass the big brake kits for the front that are available from the other manufacturers in 14". StopTech is building a 15"/380mm rotor, but I don't know if they have the hat to install it on a stock car with the Brembo caliper or if the Brembo rotor is as wide as the StopTech.

I believe that the aftermarket will produce a 15" big brake kit for these cars, give them some time to catch up

FYI - I've been talking with the guys at Girodisc and they are working on a Girodisk 15" direct replacement 2 piece slotted rotor for the front 2013-14 Brembo front brake for the GT500. When I last talked with them a month or so ago, they said it will be out in about 6 months or so. It will save 10 to 15 pounds on the front end.

Jim

You may want to wait a few more days... there will be something amazing available shortly from an even better source. 15-inch, two-piece & lightweight. Details soon.

• 4 weeks later...

You may want to wait a few more days... there will be something amazing available shortly from an even better source. 15-inch, two-piece & lightweight. Details soon.

Waiting ....

• 3 months later...

I don't believe they sell a two-piece version. I hate myself for spilling the beans a bit too early, and for that I do apologize. Our version should have prototypes by the end off next month and they are a true lightweight, two-piece, aluminum hat, cross-drilled, direct replacement for 15-inch front Brembo-equiped 13-14 GT500's. The first run is 50 sets and I have a wait list, to add your name to that list go here: Brake Upgrade Notification List.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Prototypes are being tested. I had no idea it was going to take this long. Safety/quality first. I want a set for myself and was hoping to have the protos on by Vegas.

Ford Racing has a 2 piece rotor now, but the price is stupid. I want to try this first http://store.kennybrown.com/product/brake-cooling/front-brake-ducts-2005-2014-mustang-boss-302-and-shelby-gt500 . I don't have the track pack so I can run the cooling to the same place as the 12s. From what I have read the brakes work great on our cars for the first lap and then heat get to them. If I can keep those big cast rotors cool brakes might not need rotors for a time and by then the price and options should be there.

I just installed these with my Baers. I had the Shelby versions with my Brembos and I prefer Kenny Browns in design. The Kenny Brown cooling duct provides air directly to the rotor hat where as the Shelby's split the hat and the inner rotor face. This left me concerned with uneven cooling of the rotor.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had an issue with warping rotors on my 2013, dealer had to turn them already. I upgraded to ones that could cool down quick, DBA 4000XS series slotted and drilled. They are awesome looking and solved my problem. http://www.carid.com/2013-ford-mustang-brakes/dba-4000xs-drilled-slotted-rotor-11343451.html

post-25523-0-52385100-1419662040_thumb.jpg

Archived